Old November 2, 2002, 21:02   #211
Hendrik
Warlord

Local Time: 20:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I was only able to open the save he sent me most recently sent me, which I believe was a replay.
Old November 2, 2002, 21:16   #212
H0bbes
Emperor

Local Time: 22:00
I played Mong's most recent turn though I did not get a replay message for either myself or Mong. SE changes cost 32 EC's for myself. I think this was discussed early on but I'm not 100% sure. Makes me feel better about being second last anyway!

I have emailed Googlie (yesterday) so i'm sure he'll get the messages.

Hobbes (I just love this little guy!)

http://zanature.wordpress.com
Old November 2, 2002, 21:27   #213
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 15:00
Quote:
Originally posted by H0bbes
I played Mong's most recent turn though
That's alright, then!

Quote:
I did not get a replay message for either myself or Mong. SE changes cost 32 EC's for myself.
I had played too many intervening turns to retain the reload message on my part. You weren't replaying, since it was a different file that was opened on your second play.

Quote:
I think this was discussed early on but I'm not 100% sure. Makes me feel better about being second last anyway!
I found no reference to this in a quick skim through the two threads. Still, it's a fairly common occurrence...something to do woth using the force difficulty flag in the editor. There is a bit of discussion about it in one of the tournament threads at CGN.

Nonetheless, it's quite an advantage to play at a lower difficulty level than your opponents. No wonder 'my' position is so strong!
Old November 2, 2002, 22:52   #214
H0bbes
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose

I had played too many intervening turns to retain the reload message on my part. You weren't replaying, since it was a different file that was opened on your second play.
So How many turns does it take to erase this? What is there only space for 10 turns or something? Never heard this before.

Quote:
I found no reference to this in a quick skim through the two threads. Still, it's a fairly common occurrence...something to do woth using the force difficulty flag in the editor. There is a bit of discussion about it in one of the tournament threads at CGN.
I couldn't find a reference either, must have been another game; I'm surprised it took this long before one of us noticed though........... and I'm equally surprised that Googlie as CMN made this mistake.

So, how would you like to compensate me? Just send me all your unique techs & half your EC's & we'll call it quits. Sound fair?

Hobbes

Old November 2, 2002, 23:13   #215
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

I don't recall the number of turns. I seem to remember it's a fairly large number 100 or 200 maybe? Once upon a year, there was a forum discussion about this. I don't recall which Forum. It might have been .owo; it might have been ACOL before AnnC took it over; it might have been here at Apolyton. The only poster I am fairly sure I can remember as definitely involved in the discussion was MoSe/MariOne.

As far as compensation goes, I have no idea how to calculate a fair level. Seems to me that some part of the burden falls on the unobservant players who have carried on for over 100 turns and never noticed a discrepency. For how many of those turns were you and D pacted, H0bbes? You never thought to question how his bases could be so drone-free? None of you ever noticed your SE changes weren't costing the 40 ec they should? Who has the EG?

Having said all of that, this doesn't appear to be a fair game. We need to know what difficulty level the others are at before determining what, if any, compensation should be made.
Old November 3, 2002, 03:21   #216
Hendrik
Warlord

I finished the turn, but I don't have Scipio Centaurus's email address and I can't seem to find it.

WOW this is an amazing game, and congrads to Hobbes for building 3/4 of the early game secret projects!

It really sucks that he has been playing with a disadvantage for such a long time. We should fix this if possible. In order to get him back in the running I propose we each give him 50EC per turn for 10 turns, that adds up to a whopping 1500EC. This should even the playing field somewhat.

I would like it if Hobbes and Scipio could fill me in on what has happened so far in this game diplomatically... by looking through the old threads all I saw was Hobbes saying "turn sent to my ex-pact mate SITS" Who has fought me, and when?

Anyways waiting for Scipio's email address... I am sending the game to Hobbes so that he can forward it to Scipio, that should speed things up a bit and it probably isn't so late at night in Australia.

Last edited by Hendrik; November 3, 2002 at 03:33.
Old November 3, 2002, 05:45   #217
H0bbes
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose
For how many of those turns were you and D pacted, H0bbes? You never thought to question how his bases could be so drone-free? None of you ever noticed your SE changes weren't costing the 40 ec they should? Who has the EG?

Having said all of that, this doesn't appear to be a fair game. We need to know what difficulty level the others are at before determining what, if any, compensation should be made.
Nope, never thought to question the drones, LOL, just thought he was a better player than me!

I have been in a number of games- mostly the early AXT games where this occurred & I seem to remember that we either restarted in games that hadn't gone long or just simply carried on as any compensation was thought to be unworkable. If this is the standard bug, then everybody will be on Librarian- except one, in this case, me! Not sure why the game says it is Transcend though; by rights 1 should be on Transcend & the others on Librarian if that were so-- I think.

Will email Scipio & tell him to check this thread as he doesn't seem to post much here anymore.

Old November 3, 2002, 05:57   #218
H0bbes
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hendrik
WOW this is an amazing game, and congrads to Hobbes for building 3/4 of the early game secret projects!
Thanks, though in retrospect I'm not sure this was the best strategy.

Quote:
It really sucks that he has been playing with a disadvantage for such a long time. We should fix this if possible. In order to get him back in the running I propose we each give him 50EC per turn for 10 turns, that adds up to a whopping 1500EC. This should even the playing field somewhat.
I'm not sure that this is necessary, though I appreciate the thought.

Quote:
I would like it if Hobbes and Scipio could fill me in on what has happened so far in this game diplomatically... by looking through the old threads all I saw was Hobbes saying "turn sent to my ex-pact mate SITS" Who has fought me, and when?
Basically I am pacted with both you and Mongoose. I am at Vendetta with Scipio after I invaded one of his bases & we've been skirmishing ever since. SITS has stood on the sidelines in this conflict.

As far as I know, nobody has fought against you.

Hobbes

Old November 7, 2002, 00:58   #219
H0bbes
Emperor

Don't tell me we've lost Scipio too.........

I've had no response at brperry@pacbell.net Does anyone else have another email?

Hobbes

Old November 7, 2002, 01:00   #220
Hendrik
Warlord

I will send the turn wherever you guys want... if he doesn't respond lets look for a replacement, this game is interesting.
Old November 7, 2002, 01:08   #221
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

That's the only addy I know for SC. Did you try mailing through 'Poly?
Old November 7, 2002, 01:25   #222
H0bbes
Emperor

His profile won't allow that though I did leave a message. If we don't hear back soon, I'll need you guys to sort it out as I'm going to the US & Canada for a month. My replacement for this game is: flubber4141@yahoo.com All turns & communication to him after the 8th of November.

Hobbes

Old November 8, 2002, 13:36   #223
SITS
King

Very sorry for putting such a delay in your game. I recently played the turn but now looking in the thread I see I've been replaced (fair enough). I wish you all well and hopefully I will be on here more often.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 8, 2002, 15:26   #224
Hendrik
Warlord

I only played one turn, so it would be easy for everyone to resume play back before I started playing. You can take over again if you wish.

Anyways we can't seem to find Scipio Centaurus... this game hasn't been moving for a while.
Old November 10, 2002, 16:15   #225
Hendrik
Warlord

Has anyone heard from Scipio?
Old November 27, 2002, 07:32   #226
SITS
King

Not sure where we are up to here....
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 30, 2002, 16:48   #227
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Hobbes is still in the states.

No word from SC since Darsnan withdrew.

No determination as yet how or if we are going to attempt to remedy the difficulty level probelm.

In short, the game is currently becalmed... dead in the water, as it were.
Old December 9, 2002, 16:37   #228
H0bbes
Emperor

I have returned. I survived freezing weather, a month of eating fast food, the Chicagoan driver who tried to run me over at a cross-walk, 17 hours on a Greyhound from Toronto to Washington, and an encounter with the self-proclaimed Prime Minister of Limbo in Venice Beach.

I would like to get this game moving again. Scipio has disappeared so we need a replacement there while SITS whom we replaced, has returned.

So, what about SITS takes back his faction, HenWen takes over Scipio's & Mong & I continue on?

Only problem is HenWen has seen one turn of SITS's game, however if they are pacted then this shouldn't matter too much.

Compensation for the level discrepency will be difficult & I'm happy just to continue the game. I like this game & don't want it to die.

Hobbes

Old December 9, 2002, 19:12   #229
Hendrik
Warlord

It is a highly interesting game. I am up for anything.
Old December 10, 2002, 11:28   #230
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Fine with me, Hobbes. Since Henwen played the last turn, should I instead re-send that turn to SITS for him to play? In the meantime, Henwen can get SC's password from Googlie.

Alternately, we can accept Henwen's play of SITS' last turn as final and just have him play the turn he sent to SC.

I prefer the former.
Old December 10, 2002, 15:33   #231
H0bbes
Emperor

Let's do the former if you have that turn. I'll ask Googlie to send on Scipio's password & we can get underway.
SITS raised the point in his email, that he would be at a major disadvantage should Henwen attack him; so I propose a moratorium on war for say 15 turns, this should allow SITS's situation to change sufficiently that this issue is no longer a concern.

Old December 10, 2002, 19:10   #232
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Slight problem with that scenario. I find that I do not send to SITS, I send to Hobbes.

If Hobbes hasn't his last outgoing file, I can re-send to him or Henwen can play the file he thought he was sending to SC.

I'll re-send to Hobbes, and he can decide whether or which file he has to send on.
Old December 10, 2002, 21:17   #233
H0bbes
Emperor

2212 received, replayed & sent to SITS.

:bounce Hobbes

Old December 14, 2002, 03:09   #234
H0bbes
Emperor

Googlie has sent the password to Hendrik.

Last edited by H0bbes; December 15, 2002 at 02:55.
Old December 14, 2002, 19:55   #235
Hendrik
Warlord

Still waiting for the turn. I have finals going on right now so my turnage rate is going down.
Old December 15, 2002, 02:51   #236
H0bbes
Emperor

I'll resend to SITS just in case. Good luck with your exams.

Hobbes

Old December 17, 2002, 12:59   #237
SITS
King

Sorry, I thought I had posted it but it turns out I hadn't! Turn 2213 to Hendrick...

Old December 18, 2002, 05:03   #238
Hendrik
Warlord

I am going to be traveling for a month or two, and my turnage will slow down. I will try to play this turn when I get to my dad's house.
Old December 20, 2002, 17:37   #239
Hendrik
Warlord

Turn sent to Mongoose
Old December 20, 2002, 20:21   #240
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King