Old January 30, 2002, 22:35   #1
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 13:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Caught in an Alien Waterworld crossfire - 5 players wanted
Yes, that's right.

The scenario editor lets you create nautical alien factions, so of course I have done so (the Nautical Usupers and the Aquatic Caretakers)

Naturally, Chiron is around 75% water, and all the factions are aquatic - the Pirates and four clones, and the 2 alien aquatic factions.

If I can muster seven players, I'll set up the game as an all human game. If fewer, then if could be five Pirate/clone factions against the AI aliens, or 2 (human) alien and as many human pirate/clone factions as there are players left

Any interest?

G.
Old January 31, 2002, 01:03   #2
vitamin j
Prince

Local Time: 15:00
Googlie: sounds cool. I wish I could, but I'm in my limit of games right now as it is...
Old January 31, 2002, 01:56   #3
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 22:00
I'm up for it.

Will these "cloned Pirate" factions have some unique characteristics? Based on original factions turned aquatic, or what?
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old January 31, 2002, 03:24   #4
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

No - the cloned Pirates will be exactly as the Pirates are (but different leades and basenames)

The aquatic aliens will be usurpers and Caretakers with marine characteristics as well (can drop the recycling tanks 'cos their sea bases come equipped with pressure domes, so can give them doc flex as a free tech)

I'm playing a single player game with five pirate clones and the 2 aliens - really cool. They are pretty powerful with their 3 res foils early in the game (I swapped the free Ogre for a foil - thought it was a fair trade)

You can get the pirate clone factions at Rynn's Gallery:

http://googlie2.tripod.com/rynnsgallery/id7.html

(but I haven'e hung the aquatic aliens there yet)

G.
Old January 31, 2002, 03:33   #5
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 07:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'd be willing to play as either the Usurpers or the Pirate clones, but bear in mind that this will be my first real MP game beyond a couple of hotseat games with a friend. I think I am pretty god with the Usurpers in SP though, and played my most successful game ever as the Pirates.
Old January 31, 2002, 07:33   #6
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Quote:
No - the cloned Pirates will be exactly as the Pirates are (but different leades and basenames)
It'll do. But taking original factions and turning them aquatic wouldn't be very hard...but I'm in for it anyway. Let' just hope we get enough players. It would be interesting to try it out.
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
Old January 31, 2002, 10:52   #7
arborman
Warlord

Sounds great. I would like to join this venture, as one of the pirates if possible. I do love a navy game.
nickistca@yahoo.com
Old January 31, 2002, 11:50   #8
Googlie
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shai-Hulud

It'll do. But taking original factions and turning them aquatic wouldn't be very hard
You're exactly right, and after your post yesterday I did just that. (Using facedit, I created 11 new factions in addition to the Pirates, and aquatic aliens - just added doc flex and toggled "aquatic faction")

Tinkered a bit with alpha.txt to see if I could give the Sea Angels a foil probe, but so far have been unable to get facedit to recognize it from my new #UNITS list

I'll keep trying, 'cos that sounds like it might be an interesting game (I played about 100 turns last evening with the Sea Drones - awesome - against the Pirates and pirate clones. I dunno how they'd fare agaisnt Sea Morgan, Sea Sparta, etc)

G.

Last edited by Googlie; January 31, 2002 at 11:55.
Old January 31, 2002, 11:54   #9
Googlie
Emperor

NorthSwordsman, over at the CGN forums, has indicated an interest, so so far we have:

Shai-Hulud
GeneralTacitus
arborman
NorthSwordsman

I'll leave the list open for the time being to see if we get other takers

G.
Old January 31, 2002, 12:24   #10
Shai-Hulud
Prince

I might be able to persuade a friend of mine. He's a fan of SMAC but seems to have little intrest towards multiplaying. That can't be right

Hope you get that working. Glad to see you're making an effort.
Old January 31, 2002, 12:36   #11
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 21:00
I like to play the an alien faction. If not avaible then I rather stay out (too many PBEM right now)
Old February 1, 2002, 14:35   #12
Googlie
Emperor

OK - we now can have aquatic variants of all factions (except the Cult - that's such a boring faction anyway that I didn't feel it warranted any time spent on it)

So players can choose the Pirates, or a Pirate clone if more than one want to play the Pirates, or else play one of the other factions as an aquatic.

I wasn't able to get the facedit to read the foil probe as an allowed unit, but the Angels (the Hackers) can build one right off the bat as they'll have both doc flex and Planetary Networks.

So assuming a level of interest, who wants to play which factions (and I'd rather keep the 2 aliens as AI - that way I can beef them up a tad without the imbalance of 1 human 1 AI would present)

Aquatic faction

Merchants (Morgan)
Coastguards (PKs)
Mermaids ( ) (Gaians
Gunrunners (Sparta)
Submariners (Hive)
Hydrologists (University)
Privateers (Believers)
Seamen (Drones)
Algorithm (Consciousness)
Hackers (Angels)

(I'll hang the factions on Rynn's Gallery this evening after I've finished my exhaustive playtest of them (ie I'm having too much fun at present)

G.

Last edited by Googlie; February 1, 2002 at 14:41.
Old February 1, 2002, 19:00   #13
Shai-Hulud
Prince

This ought to be a very interesting scenario. I'm glad to be in. Now, when I come to think of it I've never played any "waterworld" scenarios even against AI. Take your time to playtest Googlie.

I'd like to play either Merchants or Coastguards, but I'm not sure about it yet.
Old February 1, 2002, 19:01   #14
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I'll go with the Gunrunners or Hydrologists.

EDIT: can I rename the one I play?
Old February 1, 2002, 19:50   #15
NorthSwordsman
Prince

I will take any of the following:

Submariners (Hive)
Hydrologists (University)
Privateers (Believers)
Old February 1, 2002, 20:15   #16
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 14:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie
OK - we now can have aquatic variants of all factions (except the Cult - that's such a boring faction anyway that I didn't feel it warranted any time spent on it)

G.
Man googlie-- I appreciate all the work you are doing but is it necessary to slam the Cult??

I have hardened myself to hearing them called weak or unplayable (but BORING ?? That smarts

So all the factions are the same as always except they start at sea and have Doc flex ?? That could have some interesting effects on play .
Old February 1, 2002, 21:31   #17
Googlie
Emperor

Aquatic Factions (all but the 2 Aliens which I am still tinkering with) can be downloaded from Rynn's Gallery at:

http://googlie2.tripod.com/rynnsgallery/id10.html

Note that I gave each faction their unique free facility (similar to the Hive's Perimeter Defenses and the UoP's Network Nodes) to offset the loss of their natural land-based advantages - these can easily be edited out by going to that faction's .txt file after you have downloaded them and just removing the free facility reference and number

G.
Old February 1, 2002, 21:36   #18
Googlie
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
EDIT: can I rename the one I play?
Yes, in the normal way thru the faction.txt file (or even in-game via the *menu* then *network* then *Customize your faction*

G.
Old February 1, 2002, 23:00   #19
Googlie
Emperor

Flubber:

Specially for you I included the Disciples (aquatic Cult) - gave them a free IoD in lieu of their mindworm and they are incredibly powerful - within 30 turns of my playtest I had eleven IoD's captured and a small army of fifteen mindworms and four spore launchers. Met Dee and she was instantly submissive

It's available too at Rynn's Gallery:

http://googlie2.tripod.com/rynnsgallery/id10.html

G.
Old February 2, 2002, 00:55   #20
arborman
Warlord

Wow, are you ever doing a lot of work on this. I thought it was just me who loved this game I'd like to play either Hydrologists (Uni) or Gunrunners (Sparta). Is it necessary for me to download the factions, or will it be a part of the game when it's sent to me? I haven't dealt much with the mods in this game.
Old February 2, 2002, 01:14   #21
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

I think I'll take the Spartans. If anyone else wants to as well, we can just clone them.
Old February 2, 2002, 04:47   #22
Shai-Hulud
Prince

I take the Morgans(Merchants). And how about other game settings Googlie?

And, we appreciate your effort to make things work. A good CMN makes for an interesting scenario. This certainly seems like one.
Old February 2, 2002, 10:11   #23
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 21:00
well if the Cult of Ocean deep are avaible (unless my friend Flubber wants it) then I wanna join playing them.
Old February 2, 2002, 15:13   #24
Googlie
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by arborman
Is it necessary for me to download the factions, or will it be a part of the game when it's sent to me? I haven't dealt much with the mods in this game.
Yes, you need to download the factions and load them into your sid meier's alpha centauri folder. You don't need to add them to the alphax.txt unless you want to choose them as factions for single-player games that you start (and then you'd add them under #CUSTOM FACTIONS toeards the end of that .txt file

I'll put the Aliens up on the site today

I've just had my butt absolutely kicked (as Dee and the Mermaids) by Yang's Submariners. I quit around 2180 after I lost4 of my seven bases in 1 turn. Flipped on the scenario editor to see what was happening

He had 37 impact plasma foils, and had taken out my HQ (with the WP, CDF and ME in it too) with a mass attack of nine of these beauties. I was still laser silksteel so was no match, and my navy of IoD's - eight of them - had half ferrying AA's back to base. All my spore launchers (I think I had three or four) were dropped off on small islands so that the IoD's could carry a mindworm as well as the AA. That tactic sure backfired on me.

I think making them aquatic has opened up a whole new strategy paradigm that needs developing (hmm - can one "open" a pardigm?)

G.
Old February 3, 2002, 05:17   #25
Shai-Hulud
Prince

I think making original factions aquatic makes them harder? At least, they're more able to attack you, it seems. I hope those militant factions don't gett off-balanced because of that. But it sure sounds interesting.

And you could list our players and their choices of factions. I'm little lost here . Do we need to recruit more players?
Old February 5, 2002, 07:35   #26
Shai-Hulud
Prince

So how's that scenario coming together?...impatience from my behalf
Old February 5, 2002, 23:43   #27
arborman
Warlord

Bowing out
I just got hit with a mountain of work, so its best I bow out of this game. I won't have the time to send the turns on fast enough, and I'm sure none of you want or deserve a 3 year game. Sorry, and good luck, it sounded like a lot of fun.
Arborman
Old February 15, 2002, 12:34   #28
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Googlie, think a poor disadvantaged Pirate loving Mac user could jump in on this, or would I be required to have the Windows version? (Which is possible... I'd just need to talk with a friend to "loan" his copy.)
Or did the project fall through? I didn't see the alien factions on Rynn's site.
I just wish there was a faction editor available for Mac... *sighs*

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...

Last edited by FlameFlash; February 15, 2002 at 12:43.
Old February 15, 2002, 21:31   #29
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

This sounds cool! Is there still room in this game?
Old February 15, 2002, 22:05   #30
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Have no idea... that's what I was trying to find out earlier... just keep the thread active, and maybe it'll regain googlie's notice.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...