Old March 5, 2002, 19:13   #31
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 13:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This will be a smax game, with aquatic clone factions.

Players are:

General Tacitus - Gunrunners (Sparta) - angusniven@hotmial.com
Shai-Hulud - Merchants (Morgan) - janne.huttunen@kolumbus.fi
knowhow2 - Disciples (Cult) - alan.law@hl.lu.se
FlameFlash - Mermaids (Gaians) - flameflash@mac.com
Mongoose - Seamen (Drones) - jlnader@mindspring.com

G.

Last edited by Googlie; March 19, 2002 at 02:08.
Old March 5, 2002, 20:50   #32
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 14:00
Certainly am... is there anything special I need to do to gain access to the new factions though? I've had troubles trying to load the custom ones you made, and since that's the case, will I have problems loading the game itself?

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old March 6, 2002, 06:36   #33
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 22:00
I thought this game was long gone, but since it isn't...I'm still interested. Aquatic Morgans - I can hardly wait

Quote:
I just wish there was a faction editor available for Mac... *sighs*
Doesn't Mac version of SMAX include Firaxis' faction editor?

Quote:
Certainly am... is there anything special I need to do to gain access to the new factions though?
You could brief us on this one Googlie. I only have that much experience. I guess we only need to download the factions into SMAC directory?
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old March 6, 2002, 10:12   #34
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shai-Hulud

Doesn't Mac version of SMAX include Firaxis' faction editor?
Not to my knowledge... didn't see it on the CD, that's for sure.

Quote:
You could brief us on this one Googlie. I only have that much experience. I guess we only need to download the factions into SMAC directory?

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old March 6, 2002, 10:51   #35
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

re: factions

Yes, after I've put up the aquatic aliens (and I'll do it on the Rynn's gallery site) and after the players have decide which factions they are going to play, you'll need to download the seven (well six actually, as one will be the already existing Pirates) and unzip all four files of each into your usual smac/x directory

(There are 3 graphics files and a text file)

then you'll need to add the six factions to your own alphax.txt (by name only) right underneath the #CUSTOMFACTIONS label (about 90% towards the end of the alphax.txt file). I'll send a bloc of text for everyone to load when I send around the passwords, etc.

Now the game will recognize the factions (and as well, any time you start a new game these six factions will be added to your 14 in the drop down menu when you want to select factions to include in your games)

I'm pretty sure it works with a mac - only problems I've encountered is with one player who is on linux - but he has problems in PBEMs with smax generally, so resgtricts himself to smac only PBEMs

G.
Old March 6, 2002, 10:57   #36
FlameFlash
Emperor

Many thanks Googlie... I'll look for it, and happily await the block of text I'll need to drop into my .txt file.

Be sure to let us know when all the acquatic factions are up and running on the site... I plan to download them all and if you could, just make the block of text so that all will be added to the custom faction thing?

Old March 6, 2002, 15:50   #37
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 15:00
I think I'll give the Drones (Seamen?) a go.
Old March 7, 2002, 02:00   #38
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 07:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great, I thought this thread had died. Good things I noticed it had picked up again.
Old March 7, 2002, 05:39   #39
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 21:00
SeCult just in time to catch in my interest!
Old March 7, 2002, 10:47   #40
FlameFlash
Emperor

Is it too late to change to being a tree-hugger? Gianan's Mermaids? I think I'd like to try something different for a change.

Old March 18, 2002, 02:01   #41
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

*BUMP*

Is anyone still paying attention?
Old March 18, 2002, 08:30   #42
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Well, now when you mentioned it, I am. Interesting scenario which never seems to get off the ground - just my luck.
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
Old March 18, 2002, 11:18   #43
Googlie
Emperor

oops - dropped to the back burner

look for it in the next couple of days - I'll e-mail everone with the aquatic alien factions

G.
Old March 18, 2002, 12:04   #44
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Quote:
look for it in the next couple of days
He's on drugs
Old March 18, 2002, 12:15   #45
FlameFlash
Emperor

durgs? That explains a lot...

Googlie... have you ever posted the Alien Aquatic factions to the site yet? Along with the code we're supposed to put in our Alpha.txt to access all the new factions that are on the website? I've dowloaded all the ones that are available.

Old March 18, 2002, 15:28   #46
Googlie
Emperor

Sent to all a few minutes ago (except to GeneralTacitus, whose e-mail address I need)

G.
Old March 18, 2002, 17:39   #47
FlameFlash
Emperor

*happy dance* looking forward to setting this up... I e-mailed you googlie with a few other questions.

Old March 18, 2002, 18:25   #48
Googlie
Emperor

Just a note to all:

You don't need to add the aquatic faction names to your alphax.txt file if you don't want to mess with that - the game will play so long as the aquatic factions and their graphics files are resident in your smax folder.

If you do want to start your own SP (or MP) game using those factions, though, you will need to add them to the #CUSTOMFACTIONS list which will then let them appear in the drop down menu of factions when choosing which factions you want in your games. A maximum of eight custom factions can be added thusly to the game chocies (but there is no limitation on the # factions you have in your smac/x folder - I have around fifty - the original 14, the 13 aquatics, and some 25 clone factions for various games I've CMN'd

G.

(still waiting for GeneralTacitus' e-mail addy)
Old March 18, 2002, 23:50   #49
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 15:00
Googlie,

Can you not mail him through the 'Poly mail link?
Old March 19, 2002, 01:54   #50
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

My e-mail address is angusniven@hotmial.com
Old March 19, 2002, 02:10   #51
Googlie
Emperor

I've amended the first post with current faction choices and e-mail addresses

Factions playtest well, and the map looks reasonable - I'll get it together in the next couple of days

G.
Old March 19, 2002, 17:35   #52
FlameFlash
Emperor

Many thanks Googlie... map looks reasonable? So, will there actually be land on this map, or not?

Old March 19, 2002, 22:00   #53
Googlie
Emperor

Oh yeah - need somewhere to put the landmarks (and plenty of shelf squares for the minerals, and fungus, etc etc)
Old March 19, 2002, 23:46   #54
FlameFlash
Emperor

So, this'll be the five humans and two aliens? I like.

Old March 20, 2002, 02:22   #55
Googlie
Emperor

This game has now started. 2111 has been sent to FlameFlash (nexessary to avoid the aliens landing twice)

The official turn reporting thread is at:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=45292

Good luck all

G.