Old January 31, 2002, 19:13   #1
mdbill
Warlord

Local Time: 12:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Citizen Revolt
Has anyone ever been successful using drone riots and revolting cities to grow their empire? I tried this as the Drones (naturally)and kept some neighboring cities in perpetual riots, but no luck.

All my cities were in Golden Age (wondering if that helps)

Does anyone know the formula?

Do you need more wonders? more money?

Do you have to be in a Treaty, Truce? or can you be in Vendetta
and still get the city to join you?

Or is this just an impossible strategy?

- Bill
Old January 31, 2002, 20:40   #2
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:02
I have never seen a base change allegiance this way.
Old January 31, 2002, 23:03   #3
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 09:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It would seem the AI never loses bases via revolt.
Altough it can certaintely happen in MP games if a human player is careless enough to leave a base in riots for several turns.
Old February 1, 2002, 00:20   #4
vitamin j
Prince

Local Time: 15:02
I have seen a base revolt once in the whole time I've played SMAC. It's supposed to be one of the Drones' faction advantages that a revolting base is more likely to join them. They don't mention that revolts never happen...
Old February 1, 2002, 02:43   #5
TresXF
Warlord

Local Time: 21:02
leave a base in drone riot for several turns (also depnding on your social engineering) and they'll begin to destroy base facilities every turn (revolt) - occasionally the drones change sides and desert to another faction

Old February 1, 2002, 06:40   #6
knowhow2
King

AFAIK it seems that the Drone advantage virtually don't exist (since dronriots tends to revolt and join any faction (not your), more than often to the closest faction.
Old February 1, 2002, 07:14   #7
fluffy
Warlord

Local Time: 20:02
Any faction base can defect to any other faction - the reason most people never see it is that the base needs to be in revolt for more than one turn. Usually the player or AI will fix the revolt before the second turn, so there is no chance of defection.

Theoretically, you could get an AI base to defect by contiually probing for more drones, but the chance of it happening on any one turn is so low that it probably isn't worth the bother...
Old February 1, 2002, 16:27   #8
Cybergod
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by fluffy
Theoretically, you could get an AI base to defect by contiually probing for more drones, but the chance of it happening on any one turn is so low that it probably isn't worth the bother...
In one game I probe/raped Zak so that he had all citizens in that base drones (size 12!) and I did it every turn, even looked them up in the city nexus thing (where you can view citizens) to see if the AI used doctors and successfully stopped the riots - nothing. It went on for ten turns until I gave up. This is either a bug or just another silly AI advantage

Another game I was Gaians (with high tech, with one submissive Zak ) and was Miriam-bashing. She expanded quite a lot (she conquered Morgan too) and when I eventually took her last base (New Jerusalem, the most defended base, deep inside) I received the normal Lady Deidre has eradicated the Believers, etc. Next turn I had drone riots, it was nearly late game so I seemed to have forgoted about it and next turn the base revolted and turned over... to... MIRIAM !!??!! Eventually I retook the base and I had a double believer grave in the monuments + another death movie!

BTW it was SMAC 4.0
Old February 1, 2002, 16:55   #9
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 20:02
IIRC,

In order for a chance of revolt to happen the base must be in riot continuously for 2 or more turns.

The one thing the AI always does to the point of making its entire base doctors is make sure to quell the riot on its turn.

So lets assume you are probing out the wazoo and making drones. What happens is this, you establish enuff drones to enable riot on YOUR turn. AI's turn fixes drones with doctor allocations. Next turn you reprobe and put base back into riot. Unfortunately the revolt doesn't take place b/c the AI quelled the riot during it's turn.

As a consequence there is virtually no way to get an AI base to revolt over to you. Only we forgetful humans are victim of the revolt thing.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter