Old November 10, 2000, 14:12   #1
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A special resource seed request
Together with the general patterns for the special resources seed, i would also like to have the ability to pin-point added special resource spots in the Civ-3 map-editor.

You could for example create maps > scenarious with potentially *very* lucrative 3-4 goldmine-mountains within a city-area, but also with very sparse terrain food-support.

What to do? Some wise and challenging strategical planning needed. If the scenario is played in ancient times you cant terraform much. Constant food-supplies ala cold war Berlin blockade, perhaps?
[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited November 10, 2000).]
Old November 11, 2000, 12:36   #2
Zer0_T0lerance
Warlord

Local Time: 18:32
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I think that some resources seeds, such as whales, fish and buffalo should not stay in one spot the whole time. Animals move around in the real world and so should animal and plant resource seeds in Civ3. Plants should move around because of changes in climate. Some types of terrain such as desert and jungle should move over time as well. I think erosion should exist in Civ3, but erosion and climate change should be able to be turned off if you don't want it.

I would like to request woolly mammoths as new resource seeds. For more information, see below:

MAMMOTH AND MASTODON. Two million years ago, during the Pleistocene epoch, an immense beast with long, shaggy hair and huge, curved tusks lumbered around what are now Africa, Eurasia, and North America. This animal, the mammoth, was the ancestor of the modern elephant. Mastodons, similar in appearance to mammoths, were early distant relatives of the mammoths. Mastodons belonged to a separate family within the same taxonomic order. They appeared worldwide and first dominated the Earth during the Miocene epoch, 25 million years ago, but survived in some parts of the world until about 10,000 years ago.
Mastodons were shorter than modern elephants--about 10 feet (3 meters) tall--but were heavily built. The prominent upper tusks were about 7 feet (2 meters) long and curved upward. The mastodons ate mostly vegetation. The American mastodon, the most familiar of the genus, had long, reddish brown hair. Remains have been found in what is now Ohio.
Although most mammoths died out about 10,000 years ago, some smaller individuals, who lived on what is now Wrangel Island in the Arctic, survived much longer and only died out about 4,000 years ago. The woolly mammoth is by far the best-known example of a mammoth. It first inhabited the sub-Arctic area of Eurasia, then crossed the Bering Strait to North America, where it lived over most of the continent until its extinction. Its height was about 14 feet (4 meters) at the shoulders, but the body length was relatively short, and the hindquarters sloped downward. Perfectly adapted to its cold environment, the woolly mammoth had small ears, a short, goatlike tail, and a coat of dense, furry, short hair overlain by longer, bristly hair. It had a humplike reserve of fat on its back, and under the extremely thick skin was another layer of insulating fat. Its long, dexterous trunk was used to gather grass and leaves. Its tusks were about 16 feet (5 meters) long. Their marked curvature and great size suggest that they may have been used as shovels to scrape snow and ice from the mammoth's food--the grasses, herbs, twigs, and leaves buried beneath the frozen surface.
Mammoths were sometimes trapped in ice crevasses, covered over, and frozen. As a result, some carcasses have been completely preserved for almost 30,000 years. Mammoth remains have been found over every continent except Australia and South America.
The reasons for the extinction of the mastodons and mammoths are still unclear to scientists. Although they were hunted by early humans, it is unlikely that these humans with their rudimentary tools drove the great beasts to extinction. Experts speculate that it is more likely that their populations dwindled because of the destruction of the grasslands that occurred with the advent of the Ice Age. The mastodons belong to the genus Mastodon, family Mastodontidae; the American mastodon is Mastodon americanus. Mammoths belong to the genus Mammuthus, family Elephantoidea. The woolly mammoth is Mammuthus primigenius. (See also Earth; Elephant.)

---------------------------------------------------------
From Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia Deluxe © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc.

------------------
Zero
Old November 11, 2000, 12:52   #3
Builder

Local Time: 00:32
ZT, it starts in 4000 BC...
Old November 11, 2000, 14:33   #4
Ralf
King

quote:

Originally posted by Zero_Tolerance on 11-11-2000 11:36 AM
I think that some resources seeds, such as whales, fish and buffalo should not stay in one spot the whole time. Animals move around in the real world and so should animal and plant resource seeds in Civ3. Plants should move around because of changes in climate. Some types of terrain such as desert and jungle should move over time as well. I think erosion should exist in Civ3, but erosion and climate change should be able to be turned off if you don't want it.

Too complicated. The player invests lots of work in building tile-improvements (fishing nets perhaps) - then, suddenly its all in vain; the fish and whales have "moved" away.

If a real world fisherman invests heavily in boats/equipments and suddenly all the fish is gone within reasonable range, dont you think he would be pretty pissed off?

If thats not fun at all in real life, why should it be fun in Civ-3? Also, the game is... well, a strategy-game. A Game! Its not reality.

The buffalos and the whales dont move - so what?
Old November 11, 2000, 14:41   #5
Zer0_T0lerance
Warlord

Nah! They want go too far, and they'll be back before you know it.

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 11-11-2000 01:33 PM
If a real world fisherman invests heavily in boats/equipments and suddenly all the fish is gone within reasonable range, dont you think he would be pretty pissed off?

And that's why I suggested fishermen, hunter and gatherer units, just in case.

------------------
Zero
[This message has been edited by Zero_Tolerance (edited November 11, 2000).]
Old November 11, 2000, 19:45   #6
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 00:32
I think this is a good idea. This will be especially important if the market system with commodities derived from resource tiles is employed. Then there will be certain parts of the world that can only have certain commodities and it doesn't make any sense if the seed is random.
Old November 12, 2000, 01:20   #7
Zer0_T0lerance
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Builder on 11-11-2000 11:52 AM
ZT, it starts in 4000 BC...

I know it does. But that doesn't mean Civ3 has to. Direct link ---> click here

------------------
Zero
Old November 12, 2000, 04:51   #8
Ralf
King

quote:

Originally posted by Dom Pedro II on 11-11-2000 06:45 PM
I think this is a good idea. This will be especially important if the market system with commodities derived from resource tiles is employed. Then there will be certain parts of the world that can only have certain commodities and it doesn't make any sense if the seed is random.

Exactly my point! It would be great thing to be able to build scenarios with above in mind. This is a relatively minor easy-to-add suggestion, but with some great potentials for the scenario-builder.

----------------------------------- edited:
Come to think of it: Which idea do you think is a good idea? Mine or Zero tolerance´s?
[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited November 12, 2000).]