Old November 7, 2000, 14:16   #1
Andz83

yah! do tell!

Old November 7, 2000, 17:07   #2
Tical_2000
Warlord

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I totally agree. Firaxis' lack of fan support is apalling especially since posters in the Call To Power II forums are getting their questions answered almost in the hour. I know that the situations are different since Activision has a finished product while Civ3 is still in development, but come on! Pretty please, Firaxis. Just give us something. Something to add some color to our gray, sterile discussions in the Civ3 Forum.
Old November 7, 2000, 21:33   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Andz, I thought you told us on the CGN forums you were gone for good!?!?

But- oh well, welcome back and stay out of OT

CTP2 looks good
Civ3 looks better (concept)
Old November 7, 2000, 21:57   #4
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:32
well i thought civ3 was miles into the future.. anyway i dont need info i can wait
Old November 8, 2000, 01:21   #5
ContradictioN

I wish you guys would stop pressurizing them to do something that isn't part of their job.

I wish you would leave them to do their job. Fact, I hope they don't put the site up, I hope they give us tiny info now and then, and be quiet about the rest of it. Then they'll be doing the right thing. Just wait for the game to come out. You're gonna ruin it for yourself if you know too much about the game.

Old November 8, 2000, 01:26   #6
Caesar
Settler

Ok, I'm sorry, but WHERE IS IT?!?
You all know what I'm talking about, and I'm sure you feel the same.

Firaxis, CPT2 has just gone gold. Attention is being diverted from the far-cooler-sounding Civ3.

Although it won't sound cooler for long without more info.

Please, where is the site?!?
Old November 8, 2000, 06:48   #7
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:32
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Allow me, if I may, to comment on Firaxis' history with its fans. (Those of you who remember me and the past two years need not read on.)

Firaxis has NEVER made it a priority to deal directly with its fans in a consistent manner. And the few times that is has (there used to be public board at firaxis.com for example), nobody was spefically tasked with making sure it ran smoothly. Or, in some cases, the person(s) put on the task had nearly total inability to deal with (often outrageous, but that's life) complaints from fans.

Now don't get me wrong: Dealing with the public is perhaps one of the worst aspects of any job. The public is often ignorant, nasty and loud. On the other hand, the public has the money...so it's a thin line.

Anyway, in the cases when they tried to be good with the public, lack of experience and true dedication to the task resulted in public relations trouble. There have been sparks of brilliance by a few people over the years, but they faded all too quickly as the brilliant people had to go back to their programming etc.

Curiously, though, we'll be in for a treat soon enough. I'll explain: As the game actually comes close to release, you'll see Firaxis launch their usual strategy:

* Some Firaxis people will appear out of thin air and sound really cool responding to us for a while, etc. We'll meet major players in the company...maybe even SID!

* Perhaps a forum or two or three will be put up at Firaxis.com and we'll get all kinds of information over a short period of time. We'll feel like kings.

* People will be posting lots and lots of all over. It will seem like paradise.

* Even our direct e-mails will get answered within a few days! Euphoria!!!

Then the game will be released. Undoubtedly there will be some bugs/"features" in there. People will begin to post about the bugs, and the number of Firaxis people posting will dry up in proportion. Those staff not specifically paid to deal with complaints will naturally drop off and try to remember the days of pure joy. Soon, with what Firaxis staff remains, phrases like "user error" and "quality control is a moving target" will sprout up like weeds. This will enrage some people with legitimate problems and still many others with no legitimate problems whatsoever...

Two camps will be born. Those who like the game as it is but would happily take any patch that might come and those who start talking about lawsuits. We'll hear the "Would you accept an automobile that wouldn't start?" argument for the 1,000,000th time. People will cite the case against Origin and say, "Good luck."

This will further alienate the once-happily-posting Firaxis people. Jeff Morris will try to make sure that the most complained about problems are fixed. He will, in fact, succeed, but a number of people still won't be satisfied. They'll keep on posting about liars and cheaters and frauds. That 1% will threaten to make the forum unpleasant for the 99%.

The Firaxis boards (if any) might simply be deleted. At any rate, Firaxis will stop talking entirely (perhaps understandably, perhaps not). They'll look at the one or two or three patches they released and say, "Hey, that's more support than most companies give. Time to move on."

And they'll move on. We'll all move on.

Let's face it: Public relations is NOT a Firaxis strength. On the other hand, their games are usually quite good (I have a bad taste about SMAC, but I'm letting that one slide...). Sure, I'd love them to up their public relations effort, but in the grand scheme of things, I'd be happy with a great game and qaulity support even if no Firaxis person ever posted another message again...

Of course, it's always nice when they DO post (for the most part), and I certainly hope some of that is coming.
Old November 8, 2000, 09:21   #8
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:32
Wouldn't it be nice if their PR was good enough so that they'll read your post?

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)
Old November 8, 2000, 11:15   #9
Snapcase's Temporary DL

Believe me, enough people from FIRAXIS have read yin26's posts. In fact, they were probably the main reason that "forum or three" was closed down.

(Do you guys remember the good old days of the FIRAXIS General Comments forum? No? It was damn fun in those days, I tell ya. )

Old November 8, 2000, 12:44   #10
Andz83

quote:

Originally posted by DarkCloud on 11-07-2000 08:33 PM
Andz, I thought you told us on the CGN forums you were gone for good!?!?

well, well...

hey, I thought the CGN would stay alive! but now it'S almost dead!

there are only a few people posting, and that sucks...

come to CGN, fellas! http://www.civgaming.net/cgi-bin/forums/ultimate.cgi

Old November 8, 2000, 17:41   #11
Tical_2000
Warlord

Contradiction,

You know what I wish? I wish you would shut up. I want them to put up the site. Everyone wants them to put up the site. Whoever doesn't want them to put up the site is an idiot. That's right. An idiot. Come on, Firaxis! We want the site!
Old November 8, 2000, 18:54   #12
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 18:32
I would much rather have the game than a site. But idiots like you Tical would rather have a site.

BTW, I was on the old CompuServ Microprose forum with Sid, Brian, et al when the news broke about them starting up a new company. I remember a number of us asking about investment opportunities and such. Sid especially was very active in that forum and posted several dozen messages a day. Anyone else remember those days?
Old November 8, 2000, 21:18   #13
Tical_2000
Warlord

Hey Clark! Relax buddy. I'm not an idiot. Why are you calling me an idiot? Of course I'd have the game over the site!!! But logically wouldn't the site come first? Yes, I think it would. I really want to see the site. Its been a couple of months now when we learned it was coming so I just want to know what's going on. Geez, nothing personal, Steve.
Old November 8, 2000, 21:40   #14
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Yes, there's no need for name calling. I would hope we are all adult enough to express our ideas with mutual respect. Tical, hopefully his apology is forthcoming...
Old November 8, 2000, 21:40   #15
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 01:32
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
quote:

Originally posted by Steve Clark on 11-08-2000 05:54 PM
BTW, I was on the old CompuServ Microprose forum with Sid, Brian, et al when the news broke about them starting up a new company. I remember a number of us asking about investment opportunities and such. Sid especially was very active in that forum and posted several dozen messages a day. Anyone else remember those days?

Well, not those cuz that was just before I had my Internet connection, but Brian was pleasantly active on the alt forum(s) when SMAC was about to be released and Firaxis even made a demo because many fans asked them to. This is much friendlier than most other companies.

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old November 8, 2000, 22:11   #16
ContradictioN

I can't wait to play Duke Nukem Forever, I know almost nothing about it, so why do I want to play it so badly.

I know pretty much everything CtP2 has to got to offer in general, it's not like we're gonna see anything really big and new, so why do I feel less excited wanting that game, compared to a game I know almost nothing about.

I just don't support ruining civ3. I've seen this happen countless times. 3DRealms are smart bastards.

Old November 9, 2000, 07:14   #17
Caesar
Settler

Tical, yin26, but especially Tical...

you should apologize for calling ContradictioN an idiot before you get any apologies. yin26, maybe you don't like ContradictioN, but talk about a double-standard.

C.
Old November 9, 2000, 08:37   #18
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Hmmmm...I missed Tical's post somehow...well let's just expand the now upgraded to stern voice: "Let's ALL be polite to each other. Thank You."

Thanks for pointing that out, Caesar.
Old November 9, 2000, 10:21   #19
Caesar
Settler

np yin26 ... I'm sorry I was a bit hasty there...
Old November 9, 2000, 12:08   #20
Steve Clark
King

Oh ok. According to Mr. Tical, I'm an idiot because I couldn't less about a website for Civ3. Forum, yes; website that is nothing more than the contents of a glossy full-page magazine ad, no. No more name calling from me, I promise.
[This message has been edited by Steve Clark (edited November 09, 2000).]
Old November 10, 2000, 22:30   #21
Tical_2000
Warlord

The thing is I never called contradiction an idiot. I would just like to see the preview site is all. Hey we're all civvers aren't we? We're like a secret society right? Lets get along man!
Old November 11, 2000, 09:41   #22
Caesar
Settler

Secret society? Its a game...

the Mac community - thats a secret society, but still, its also just a computer...

C.
Old November 13, 2000, 19:30   #23
The diplomat
King

Please, please, please, Firaxis give us some info on civ3! If the site isn't ready yet, can you maybe tell us something cool about the game to keep us going?

I know we need to be just a little bit more patient, but it is soooo hard.

Please firaxis! If we promise only to say good things about firaxis, will we get some info sooner ??

------------------
No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.