Old February 1, 2002, 10:10   #1
wheathin
Prince

Local Time: 20:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What I hate most about the Pirates
I like Sven. I really do - I think he's got a great faction, and he's a fun opponent. Except for one thing.

He always steals my Jungle!

Never fails. I've got a good start, two bases humming along, and the Jungle is REALLY close to me. So I found bases 3 and 4 in the Jungle and I'm off! (I might even notice the wide flat expanse on the Unity Survey and put my second base there)

And then Sven shows up with two sea bases off my coast, before I even get DocFlex, and starts stealing my Jungle! How can I stop this short of war?
Old February 1, 2002, 10:33   #2
Yxklyx
Warlord

How can be stealing your Jungle with sea bases? He should only be getting the sea squares. Does he have a land base too?
Old February 1, 2002, 10:50   #3
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Local Time: 15:04
Re: What I hate most about the Pirates
Quote:
Originally posted by wheathin
And then Sven shows up with two sea bases off my coast, before I even get DocFlex, and starts stealing my Jungle! How can I stop this short of war?
Assuming Sven does not have any land bases in the Jungle, you can choke his access to the jungle off with bases- just push his borders back to the sea.

Place the bases 2 squares in from the coast, and just wall that thing off from Sven, leaving the interior empty for expansion when you can scare up a Colony Pod or two.

If he wants access to the Jungle, he's gonna have to land a colony pod, which is next to impossible if you have bases between him and that jungle (or Drop pods, which I have NEVER seen the AI use) or take one of your bases. He's more likely to attempt a base snatch sooner or later. Crawlers all along the coast pretty much prevents him from getting a good foothold without taking some severe punishment if you set things up right.
Old February 1, 2002, 11:03   #4
Yxklyx
Warlord

Maybe wheatin doesn't have the latest patch? Wasn't there a change with how sea/land bases claimed territory? As I recall you used to be able to claim land with a sea base.
Old February 1, 2002, 11:09   #5
NorthSwordsman
Prince

I have no idea... I didn't play smac until after the 4.0 patch, and got smax shortly thereafter with the 2.0 patch... so that area is out of my knowledge.

IIRC, through, the only way a seabase can claim land territory is if there is no other claim to that territory from a LAND base. 'Course, I could be wrong on that last point, but that is what I remember.
Old February 1, 2002, 11:45   #6
wheathin
Prince

I was unclear. He does not take the Jungle itself. But his coastal bases mean that I cannot build adjacent to him, or raise land, and he sucks up all the water squares where I want to put kelp and tidals (as well as any bonuses), not to mention that I don't like having Sea Formers real close to his bases.

He cramps my Style.
Old February 1, 2002, 11:51   #7
NorthSwordsman
Prince

There is really nothing you can do, except to take his bases and destroy them. Otherwise, you are stuck.
Old February 1, 2002, 11:56   #8
wheathin
Prince

Well if a drone's gotta do what a drone's gotta do...

Thanks
Old February 1, 2002, 11:58   #9
NorthSwordsman
Prince

You are very welcome, Wheathin.
Old February 1, 2002, 12:04   #10
Yxklyx
Warlord

Quote:
He does not take the Jungle itself. But his coastal bases mean that I cannot build adjacent to him, or raise land

Warning, I believe raising or lowering Jungle squares removes the Jungle.
Old February 1, 2002, 12:18   #11
wheathin
Prince

Yes it would remove the jungle. Instead, you have to start at one end of the Jungle and raise a new coast line two squares out. At most you lose one square, and usually zero (unless your whole island is jungle). It creates a Jungle-free coastal region, perfect for boreholes and bases.
Old February 1, 2002, 12:21   #12
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Hmm.. that gives me some ideas I hadn't thought about for awhile.

Another way to get rid of Sven. Just raise the blasted coast, then use your rovers to capture them. Instant bases!
Old February 1, 2002, 12:36   #13
wheathin
Prince

Yes, but then you have to go to war. And that means breaking the treaty... I'd rather be able to keep the peace, and just say "please don't build there."

But, if I have to raise it to take it, well, i hope he likes being a landlubber.
Old February 1, 2002, 13:05   #14
Yxklyx
Warlord

How about building a bunch of Isles of the Deep and releasing them into the Wild next to the Sea Bases. That avoids war. In one of my games I had each coastal base stationed with 1 Isle of the Deep. As soon as someone built an offshore base I moved it next to the base and released it into the wild - no more base.
Old February 1, 2002, 13:13   #15
NorthSwordsman
Prince

That's using your brain. Apparently, mine isn't working today.

The cost would be prohibitive to build, unless you had a base that could crank them out quickly. They would have to be of a good morale level or the simplest trance-equipped scout would turn them into sea jelly.
Old February 1, 2002, 14:00   #16
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

NorthSword et. al.,

I admit Sven is one of the factions I absolutely despise. But only because I find him a nuisance and not a real threat. He is almost always hostile towards me b/c of my preference to run Wealth. But has no real ability to mount a creditable land based offensive. I'll let him have all the little ships he wants. Advent of D:AP and/or MMI he is considered an annoying fly that at somepoint needs to be swatted. ( I absolutely hate having him stand off the coast bombard terrain, the little baby can't even stand up and fight )

His annoying little habit of building sea bases next ot your coast line is just fine by me tho'. As soon as I can build marines, all thsoe bases are mine, and no need for raising terrain. Altho' raising the terrain and building boreholes does have its appeal.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 1, 2002, 14:08   #17
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Og, thanks for your input on that. Personally, I despise Sven. For some reason, I can't master the art of playing him.. must be the mindset and the way he builds those bases. He really should have a -2growth just to keep those drones in check. Sheeze.

Of course you can take them with Marines. Might even be worth it just to have some defense bases ala Vel's Doctrineefense. Personally, I would just wipe the idiot out for the satisfaction it gives me,
Old February 1, 2002, 17:35   #18
spartak
King

What really pisses me off is the way he declares vendetta and then won;t surrender. Even qwhen he is utterly outclassed and hasn't a hope. That really wicks me off as I end up with loads of tiddly bases to micromanage.
Old February 1, 2002, 18:13   #19
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 14:04
The only thing that peeves me about the pirates is that they always seem to hate me and they kill off my foils exploring the world . . . But i agree thay are little threat
Old February 1, 2002, 19:38   #20
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 06:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
They choke up all of Planet's beautiful oceans with their garbage bases. Svensgaard is definitely one of my least favorite leaders, too. He's arrogant and overbearing. When I see him I attack without mercy.
Old February 3, 2002, 12:21   #21
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 22:04
And he smells like fish...but I have a solution - X Needlejets, never worry about sanctions. It's all worth it!
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old February 3, 2002, 12:38   #22
NorthSwordsman
Prince

There you have it, gents. The ultimate solution to Sven. GAS!