Old November 16, 2000, 18:20   #1
CivilizationCanuck
Settler

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Vehicle Chassis, Ship Chassis, Chassis Ideas
Playing SMAC I loved how they had the different chassis for different units. There was infantry, rover, tank, foil, cruiser, helicopter, interceptor, gravship.

In Civ 3 I would think there to be different types of chassis', and probably more. Of course infantry, tank, rover/jeep would all be there. Along with Cruiser and maybe Battleship types, as well as the typical fighter types.

But what new ones would you like to see? I personally would like to see something a long the lines of air cruisers... or for that matter something like a Imperial Star Destroyer chassis... in future years of Civ 3.
Old November 16, 2000, 18:32   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:32
I dont want any chassis at all. Civ-3 should come up with complete ready-made units ala Civ-2/CTP-2.

What "chassis" could most non-tech ancient units have?

Also, i dont think Civ-3 is going to expand more then 2100-2200 AD.

Old November 16, 2000, 21:19   #3
jdlessl
Warlord

Local Time: 19:32
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Infantry: Foot soldiers with different levels of armor and weapons (bronze, iron, long bow, cross bow, etc)

Chariot: Obvious, but maybe change the # of horses?

Cavalry: Same options as infantry.

Artillery: Catapaults and Ballistas; what size ammo they fire, what the range is, etc.

We can either have a boatload of unit types cluttering up the build screen, or just a few of our own design. And I think you'll find the vast majority of people here prefered having the options to design your own units.

Furthermore, how much progress do you expect to see in the next 100-200 years? If the tech tree does go into the next century, I see no reason why colonization of the solar system should not be included.

--
Jared Lessl
[This message has been edited by jdlessl (edited November 16, 2000).]
Old November 16, 2000, 21:36   #4
Shadowstrike
Emperor

There probably have been 10 - 12 different models for the unit workshop that were perfected for a long time. Personally, I think the option of choosing between the unit workshop and ready made units should be allowed. This way, the player can choose whether he wants to go into the trouble of creating a unit. Some problems might occur during a multiplayer game, but I'd suppose that the default units would have to be used to speed up the game.

------------------
Webmaster of Shadowstrike's Civilization II Site
Emperor of The Gamer's Abode Forums
Old November 16, 2000, 23:04   #5
Tical_2000
Warlord

I have one thing to say: Default Units Forever!
Old November 17, 2000, 00:19   #6
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:32
I agree with Shadowstrike. Default units would make for a faster decision (you just pick one and go), whereas being able to customize your units should be an option (default units=saved customized units?). They could even be a way to customize the things you can customize (in a .txt file it lists the things you can add to a unit, the types of units it can be added to, and the advance at which you can implement that item). That would appease all sides because then those that want just the default units can have just their default units, those that want to customize all their units can do so (not every player who wants them customized will want them to be customized the same), and those that want to use a combination can do so.
Old November 17, 2000, 00:21   #7
zyxpsilon
Warlord

Specialized UNITS is what makes them different from the others.
I stand for the DEFAULT civ2 styles >only<... adding chassis or shelltypes to THE tank, THE howitzer ,,, is useless. We don't want SMAC, Panzer4, XCOM6 or the likes; we like CIV1-CIV2 and CIV-THREE.
A spy might get a little bit more negotiation leaps, maybe?
What about a Stealth bomber loaded with laserguns and paperscrubs the pilot can throw out the cockpit?
Making it more complex at the unit level is like taking all the fun away.
Now... a satellite, a mech, or a deep/ocean glass-bubble sub... i can understand.

Old November 17, 2000, 00:32   #8
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:32
That's why say that you have a Choice!!! You don's have to play with customizable units! It is an Option! It can be switched off. You can never turn it on if you allways want to use the default units. But for those who of us who might feel like being creative and customize a few of our units, once in a while, then we can do so. And you stubborn people don't have to deal with it because you never have to turn on the switch which allows this. Now leave us alone while we discuss how we want to customizing our units.
If you want they could have an option when you install it if you want to be able to customize any units. You can say No and you will never have anything in your game about customizing units.
[This message has been edited by airdrik (edited November 16, 2000).]
Old November 17, 2000, 03:41   #9
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:32
In SMAC, you don't have to use the unit design workshop ever. IIRC, that is

So in Civ 3, you don't have to customise your units either, just use the default ones.

Somebody suggested that Civ 3 should allow a player to save the custom units separately to be used over and over again. That's a good idea.
Old November 17, 2000, 04:34   #10
Evil Capitalist
King

Ship types- I spent an entire morning posting something about this, but I forget where it is. I'll try to find it, because there's no way I'm not retyping it.
Old November 17, 2000, 04:41   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:32
Try a search for your listing
Old November 17, 2000, 05:12   #12
Deathwalker
Prince

I do not want chassis, they are crap. I don't want to design my own units.

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old November 17, 2000, 07:04   #13
Biddles
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Deathwalker on 11-17-2000 04:12 AM
I do not want chassis, they are crap. I don't want to design my own units.

Ahh yes, another moron who didn't read the post three posts above his own, just came in and started bagging something because he didn't agree with the title.

quote:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger on 11-17-2000 02:41 AM
In SMAC, you don't have to use the unit design workshop ever. IIRC, that is

So in Civ 3, you don't have to customise your units either, just use the default ones.

Somebody suggested that Civ 3 should allow a player to save the custom units separately to be used over and over again. That's a good idea.

Hmmm....

I agree, with Urban Ranger. Have the unit workshop that pops up with the default units and if people don't want to use it they don't have to. If they do want to use it they can.

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
[This message has been edited by Biddles (edited November 17, 2000).]
Old November 17, 2000, 21:33   #14
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I remember that list EC... it was in a thread with something to do with a sophisticated unit workshop model... I think I'll look for it and BUMP it...

Anyhow it seems like some people want it one way and some want it another. By making the game more customisable, Firaxis can make more people want to play the game, which translates into more games sold and more profits...

------------------
Webmaster of Shadowstrike's Civilization II Site
Emperor of The Gamer's Abode Forums