Old February 8, 2002, 19:54   #31
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 21:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Spaceship launched 1944 (2873pts IIRC)
First half of the game: many fights, in order to get elite units, then great leaders. Results: Persians, then Russians, then Greeks destroyed (apart from one Russian city left alive, which stayed very quiet afterwards). ONE great leader in 1120AD in Sparta. No more. Compared to any other game I have played up to now, this is very frustrating: ONE leader after hundreds of fights won by elite units!
Second half: peaceful growth and tech race. The Babs remained very smiling and willing to buy any new tech I had available. The Germans declared war twice, but mostly attacked infantry with bowmen: piece of cake.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip la fayette 5.zip.zip (109.0 KB, 2 views)
Old February 10, 2002, 03:16   #32
gus_smedstad
Warlord

Local Time: 15:05
conquest victory 1410 AD 4316 points
Like everyone else, I pruned the Persians back to one city early, though I didn't eliminate them until much later. After looking at the size of my continent, I decided to go for a pure military conquest, since I figured I'd never get the industrial base and research establishment I wanted on such a relatively small island.

I didn't get much use out of the Impis, really. Mostly it was a straightforward build-the-best-fast-attack-unit (Horsemen, Knights, Cavalry) game. Odd how Civ 3 encourages that just like Civ 2, but for entirely different reasons.

It took me a while to find another victim, but I eventually settled on taking out the Russians next. From earlier posts here, I was rather expecting to meet the Germans, but I didn't find them until the Russians were well out of it.

Surprisingly, there was a fairly nice island / continent to my south, that no one other than I bothered to colonize. I'm not used to that. Normally, every decent piece of real estate is taken by the time galleys become common. I did build my Forbidden Palace there, but I don't think I really got much out of it other than research, really. Maybe a few cavalry toward the end.

The so-called "Scientific" civs were all pretty backward throughout the whole game. I don't think I was at a tech disadvantage any time after my conquest of the Persians.

After that, it was Germans, Babylonians, and Greeks, in that order. I used Knights to take out the Germans and Babylonians, and Cavalry on the Greeks. The greeks got gunpowder a dozen turns or so before the end, but it wasn't enough to save them.

This is my first conquest victory, ever. I've gotten Domination victories before, but not conquest. It's also my earliest victory. I wonder if, given my position once the Greeks were down to a city or two, if milkiing growth for points Civ-2 style would have yielded a higher score.

I built a lot of wonders in Zibabwe. I can see how others would have gotten a Cultural victory out of it.

- Gus
Attached Files:
File Type: zip gus smedstad tournament 5.zip (82.8 KB, 4 views)
Old February 10, 2002, 03:21   #33
gus_smedstad
Warlord

By the way, I just realized this was a small map! Somehow I overlooked that when checking out the description. No wonder the game was over so early.

Oh, and I really thought that the previous record of 1420 AD for this map was going to stand. It was 1120 AD when I sat down to finish it tonight, but I figured wiping everyone out was going to take some time...

- Gus
Old February 10, 2002, 05:37   #34
Sirian
Civ4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Civ4 Map Designer

Local Time: 16:05
If you finish before about 1500AD, the bonus points should outweigh any gains you might get from milking. Maybe depends on the map size. But I've never seen over 4000 points except from early finish. Then again, I don't ever milk, so I don't really know what the potentials of that are. Still, on this small map, I'd think you'd have just been going downhill from there.

- Sirian
Old February 10, 2002, 18:13   #35
Carcajou
Settler

Tournoi #5 : Diplomatic 1961 AD
Please, in 1960 AD build United Nations in Tugela and ask
Leader Dingane to hurry improvement. Thank you !

Very nice starting location...
Early war with the Persians... why?
Discovered a western subcontinent for my forbidden palace using
the leader in a Persian battle.

Smooth beginning until the map was revealed : too many islands
to plan ahead. Where to go? What to do?

I went for Greek resources after their refusal to deal decently.

Too late for a Military victory and a Cultural victory seemed out of
reach.

My best chance was for a Diplomatic victory by destroying the
strongest nations.

Lucky enough to get a second leader against the Babylonians,
I decided to keep leader Dingane for the United Nations.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip carcajou.zip (103.4 KB, 3 views)
Old February 11, 2002, 15:19   #36
LaMoe
Settler

Cultural Winning at 1999
Here is my very first tournament try with an (nearly) unexpected cultural finish. About 1973 I realized that i will soon be winning. So I decided to keep peace at all kost.

In the beginning I started to destroy the Persians - so that i can expand on my own continent. Then i started to expand to the west and south. After some Wars against russia and the greek i could keep my level and getting slowly stronger than the others.
Germay and Baylon were very strong from the beginning and I always tried to keep good conections to them.

I was angry how the other nations were signing a MPP with me - then starting a war (i have to join the war) and only 3 rounds later making peace again. But i couldn't even speak to the nation i am still in war with.

I was quite impressed how quick the other nations expands.

(It was my first game as monarch and my second harder than chieftain - i guess i am quite a newbie).

- ah yes - if it's interessting: i got 2 leaders - the first in the war against the persians and the second in a short defense war agains russia
(that were my first great leaders i ever got in Civ III)

Let's have a look how the next game (number 6) will end
Attached Files:

Last edited by LaMoe; February 11, 2002 at 15:30.
Old February 11, 2002, 15:55   #37
Koro
Settler

Local Time: 23:05
dominance victory in 1932, score 2902
It was easiest map to win!
Just build all wonders, then non-stop defensive wars because AI
opponents was very agressive. Bes government on current map is monarchy: democraty is impossible until war, communism makes corruption extremelly high: profit was high negative, no any production even in capitals! ==> I spend more than 20 turns on experiments with government type.

But can anybody open for me one secret: how to make fast conquest
with extremely high score?!

And about rule: no reload.

Normally the game needs near one week to finish.
==> it is impossible don't have reloads at all: I need to switch PC off from time to time.

I think limit in 10 reloads is good idea!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip koro.zip (107.4 KB, 0 views)
Old February 11, 2002, 16:43   #38
7EA
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:05
You can load the game as many times as you want just never reload a part you already continued playing.
For example if you load a saved game from 200 AD and play to 400 AD and then decide that those 200 years could have been used better, then you can't load the 200 AD save again and play from there, that would be cheating.
Old February 12, 2002, 17:35   #39
Ghengis Brom
Chieftain

Some quick questions for Mark
First question: Are we allowed to change the game and audio preferences as long as it doesn't effect the rules. For example, turning off the display shields and food, turning on team color disk, that kind of stuff?

Second question: Is it ok to use the various terrain enhancement mods?

I probably should have asked this sooner as I should be finishing Tournament 5 over the next couple evenings.
Old February 12, 2002, 21:17   #40
mogon
Settler

Local Time: 20:05
retirement victory 4252 points
It was too easy and i could and should have done better
AIs always accept ROP making things much easier ... GL and pop rushing helped me a lot, it was a pure despotic game.

250 BC Persians
570 AD Russians (ROP agreement)
1080 AD Germans ... god they were spread all over the map !
1345 AD Babylonians (ROP agreement)
1610 AD The greeks have only a single city left, i have razed all the rest to avoid domination victory
milking up to 2050 AD ...
i even have 5 future tech, well it's not worth all this boring building job : only 0.5 points

Have a look to new zimbabwe and its 133 shield production ...
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mogon.zip (117.3 KB, 2 views)
Old February 13, 2002, 12:33   #41
Sirian
Civ4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Civ4 Map Designer

Local Time: 16:05
OK, here's my save file. Domination in 1120AD, score 5385, as reported earlier.

First thing I did was to build two more scouts. Even without the chance to grab any huts, having a good look around can make a big difference, so I always build at least one more scout with any expansionist civ. Then I built a settler, which headed for the fresh water location. I found the Persians by now and they had a slow start, so I kept right on expanding. Next a barracks, then one impi, a settler, some more impi and one more settler, with barracks going up in my three new cities. I only had to build one regular warrior in my core cities, to defend a new city from a curious Persian warrior. All the rest I was able to hold off building ANY units until I could go right to vet impis.

With four cities, I started building troops (not poprushing). I attacked the Persians and even attacked their capital, but up on that hill, it was too much. I lost one impi and an archer, killed one spear, but they had two more! And all my troops were now down to 1 hp, or dead. I ended up pillaging all their roads and mines and such, and lots of their archers, then making peace. I got Alphabet and Horseback Riding from them in the peace, then I honored the 20 turns agreement before attacking them again. My golden age (from impi attacking) was spent building the Colossus in Zimbabwe, more troops and then settlers and some temples at my other cities, then more settlers at Zimbabwe too. I set full on to research writing and mapmaking, at the best rates I could pull -- which on a small map like this, and backed by colossus, were not too shabby!

After the first peace treaty expired, I attacked again. With a stack of about ten units, half horse, half impi (some elite), and more coming, I took out the Persian capital, with some difficult losses to my forces (elites dying, and no leaders emerging). I was HOPING they would give me their brand new third city, but it didn't happen, so that's the one they got left with, out on the peninsula by all the incense, cornered like rats, as I destroyed their other city too. I fortified units in a wall across the land there, and without boats, they could not move past me, so they were caged -- and I had every intention of leaving them there to sit and rot until I was confident they wouldn't respawn somewhere else. With about ten cities on my continent now, but only five of them real producers, with three more in the "not hopeless" range, able to do better than 1/1 with courthouse. Every other city on the map was pure whipping fodder.

I had no idea what I would find, and won't give it away even now, except to say that I played peacefully to the fullest extent that I could, rapidly settling the entire world, and only going after the AI's in earnest when I needed parts of their lands to reach the domination threshold. The Great Wall is the other wonder I built, and every city I owned all over the world would sit around for 21 turns, gathering shields, then rushbuild a temple, then build walls (the walls came first in a few cases) then poprush units the rest of the game, or a harbor now and then, to send luxuries home and bring others in. No barracks or granaries, except in four key "high food" locations that I got started on early.

The Russians in particular attacked me quite nastily at some of my northern colonies, and if not for the defense boosts of the Great Wall, I'd have lost up there and been slowed a good bit. I came under attack several times by the Greeks, as well, but all my colonies just turtled through it, which is a good thing, as I was so widely scattered, that for all that I had hundreds of units, only my core in the heart of my homeland was more than lightly defended.

Partly because I had so many nonvet units, poprushing at scattered colonies with no barracks, and partly because I really didn't do all THAT much war until the final ten turns, I didn't get a leader until the next to last turn. Oh yeah, and I didn't build a single knight. It was all pikes and impis on defense, all longbows on attack, with some sword and horseman support, but mainly the longbows.

As I was growing frustrated, thinking I ought to have enough land by now to have won, I finally remembered the option to ask for cities in peace negotiations, so my last turn I did that, making peace with the three remaining civs and being given about seven or eight cities, which put me over the top.

This game played quite differently. I've never done the ancient poprush thing to this extent, nor had I ever played a whole game in despotism before. What really made this map for me was the lack of barbarians. I was able to send galleys all over without having to fight off barbarian galleys, and I was able to send just settlers in some cases, with later ships bringing units to defend the new colonies. More distant colonies, I had to send a defender with the settler, but by then I had my act together a little better.

I had one frustration. Germany beat me to Hanging Gardens by ONE turn! I had to swap to Copernicus and build that instead. That was all too late to really matter, though. I won on the strength of Colossus (for research power, to get off my rock quickly and get to pikes, then longbows, early enough to matter, and at the end to get caravels and be able to sail on deeper waters) and the Great Wall (to allow me to defend my badly scattered, thinly managed, sprawling colonial empire without ever losing any cities to the many AI attacks mounted on them).

Pure expansionism, a little war, and no dirty tricks, other than the exploitative poprushing, away from my homeland. Just lots and lots of longbows (about 90, counting all the casualties - I had a lot of units by the end) and just enough settlements to spread my borders over the land with temples in place.

- Sirian
Attached Files:
Old February 13, 2002, 21:00   #42
elric
Settler

Slow Cultural Victory
Hi,

I guess I am kinda new at this,

Started out by wiping out the persians but then sat tight for too long and let the other civs build up too much. After that it was a up hill struggle to keep up with them technology wise and to try and attack. The computer civs always seem to get the necessary resources. (I am only bitter because I didn't have much iron)

Anyway Slow but cultural.

Must try harder!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip cultural but slow.zip (137.8 KB, 1 views)
Old February 13, 2002, 21:51   #43
D.K
Settler

hi all

my first post and first touney

started by taking persians early - no milking, just wiped them out early as poss - they respawned on same island on northern peninsula where they were finished off a little later.

i then went east and found the russians. I earned a great leader killing them but held off building forbiden place as land was poor

colonised southern contintent during attack of russians and then moved attack force onto germany. Built FP in Berlin.

moved from germany south into babylon and finally got knights for the assault on greece although the majority of the taskforce was horsemen.

conquest victory around 1400AD

forget exact score - in the region of 4200
Attached Files:
File Type: zip dk tourney 5.zip (68.0 KB, 3 views)
Old February 14, 2002, 04:47   #44
Ghengis Brom
Chieftain

I ain't proud
Here it is, my first completed Apolyton Tournament. Figures it would take the easiest map yet for me to get out of the stone age. I learned a lot from this one though.

Mandatory Retirement in 2050
2nd place behind the Greeks
Score 1541

I have reattached the file using the proper naming convention.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip shaka~brom.zip (113.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Ghengis Brom; February 14, 2002 at 20:14.
Old February 14, 2002, 07:55   #45
Eflin Soth
Settler

domination victory
Domination victory in year 1150. Very good, 5404 point

XANATON BECCATE QUESTA.....
Attached Files:
File Type: zip eflin soth.zip (83.1 KB, 5 views)
Old February 14, 2002, 18:33   #46
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 22:05
Great game! A lot of first-timers here: First CIV3 game I win without a single reload, first time I dominate the game from BC ages (I only play monarch and up) and first tournament game I get a decent score in. I also planned to get my first conquest vic, but domination was triggered when I least expected it. I got score 3008 in AD 2008. My second or maybe third best score ever.

I expanded fast to gain control of my home island and built a culture bomb to deny Persia the iron they had taken. Then I built a stack of 10-15 veteran horsies plus a few impis and went for some Ayatolla ass. The war took less than 300 years and they were dead about 300 BC. I got myself a golden age to build the Great Library and Lighthouse. Then I switched to republic (which I never left) and went for peaceful expansion and research until roughly 1500 AD. Well, research is not the correct word, as I let the Great Library handle that and used all money to rush improvements. I settled the virgin Island in the west and did hardly build an offensive unit in all that time. I was beaten in the race to the middle-age happiness wonders by just a few turns, which would prove really painful in the later wars, but got Sun-Tzu and some others.

The Ivans declared war. Stupid of them. I had just upgraded my horsies to cavalery and rolled over the Russian mainland in just a few turns. In the humiliating peace, they were left with only 2 cities. I got a GL which I used to build the FP in the south coast of "Great West Virgin Island". Not the optimal spot for a productive empire perhaps, but that was the most productive terrain I owned outside my home island. I also got Leo when conquering Moscow.

Then the stupid Greek declared war (no offence, Marko). I took one Island with ease, but then my advance stalled for 25+ turns as I had to build up my strenght for the next assault. This was my biggest mistake in the game, as war unhappiness was a real pain to no good use. I should had made peace and then attacked them again after my build-up was ready. The Greeks had sea dominance, so I didn't like the idea to try to pass their million-ironclad fleet until I had some destroyers as escort. I took one more island (with all the silk)and made peace.

The Russian capital converted to me, can you believe? I decided sneak-attacked and took their last city too. Then for some reason I can't remember, the whole world declared war on me. Lucky for me, I had just gotten tanks and flight. For a while, I was really in the crap and lost a whole island to the Germans (the useless tundra island to the northwest). War unhappiness was totally awful and my research was down to zero. However, a few good moves saved me. First of all, I mobilised, then I was able to make a separate peace with the Greeks. Later I persuaded the Greeks to join me in a pact against Germany. I was slowly but steadily rolling over the Babs and landed a transport with 8 tanks that quickly reclaimed my former tundra island from the Krauts. Man, did it feel good to raze Babylon with 20+ citicens.

The peace with Babylon was hard for them and I got rocketry, computers and all but 2 cities. These remains was taken in my backstab move a few turns later. My war with Germany felt like going forever and their cities culture-flipped back to them all the time. When I had pressed them back to their mainland and denied them all their resources, they conscripted millions of riflemen and longbows that was wrecking havoc on my wounded tanks. Finally, they died in 2002. I rushed-bought temples in a lot of captured cities. The border expansion from that move triggered my domination win in 2008, when I was almost ready to backstab in blitz Greece in just a few turns.
Attached Files:
Old February 14, 2002, 18:58   #47
Ghengis Brom
Chieftain

I just realized...
I just realized you have use your board name for your tourny zip file. I will be reposting my game with the correct name as soon as get home this evening.
Old February 14, 2002, 20:18   #48
Ghengis Brom
Chieftain

Re: I ain't proud
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghengis Brom
Here it is, my first completed Apolyton Tournament. Figures it would take the easiest map yet for me to get out of the stone age. I learned a lot from this one though.

Mandatory Retirement in 2050
2nd place behind the Greeks
Score 1541

I have reattached the file using the proper naming convention.
I thought I had done it. Here it is.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ghengis_brom_t5.zip (113.2 KB, 0 views)
Old February 15, 2002, 09:38   #49
mirrorball
Settler

woops!
woops, here's the same game, just a renamed zip file.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mirrorball tour5.zip (143.0 KB, 0 views)
Old February 15, 2002, 09:57   #50
White Elk
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:05
Conquered in 1625 AD for 3573 points

I thought for sure I would have a Domination victory by the mid 1500's, and was quite certain of it by the end of the century, but it wasn't to be. If anyone who downloads this file has any thoughts on why I wasn't able to achieve the Domination victory please let me know.

Good start location. Engaged the Persians early but had some difficulty, finally conquered them in 480 AD. Gained a leader in the final years of the conflict and used him to rush build Palace in the town of Rollin Dice located in the U-shaped continent to the South West (had already built Forbidden Palace to the East of the starting location).

The Golden Age was unfortunatly triggered by an Impi warrior defense a little too early. I was able to build Libraries and a few other infrastructure improvements but wasn't big enough and built up enough to really capitilize.

The next objective was to capture the German, Russian and Greek cities that bordered my terratory. In the mayhem that followed another leader emerged to lead an Army. That Armies first and only battle resulted in a retreat against a veteren Greek Musketman. They barely escaped with their lives.

While all this was going on I started colonizing open spaces and then rush building Temples to "connect the dots" in preparation for a Domination victory. Then after the defeat of the Russians and the Germans and the eminent fall of the Greeks, the unexpected happend. A city protected by a lone elite Swordsman was attacked by Babylon. The swordsman prevailed and my third leader emerged. That was the first time I've had a leader created while defending. The elite Impi defense bringing on a Golden Age was also a first for me. It's like a theme or something.
Anyway, that leader was used to create the second Army just in time to lead the charge for the final battle. And that's it.

P.S. This time the final turn will be quick. All cities producing Wealth and the only active units are those involved in the final battle. Big difference from the mess I left at the end of my first tournament submission.
Old February 15, 2002, 10:03   #51
White Elk
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:05
Oops, forgot to attach the game
Attached Files:
File Type: zip white elk 5th tourn.zip (94.9 KB, 3 views)
Old February 15, 2002, 12:18   #52
Zirak
Settler

This was a fun game !!!

Shaka, 1675 AD Domination with 3853p

Thanks for a great tournament !!!

// Zirak
Attached Files:
File Type: zip zirak.zip (109.6 KB, 0 views)
Old February 16, 2002, 02:59   #53
Achnor
Chieftain

He he, I enjoyed this one! I decided to go for Space-win before I started and stayed true to my goal throughout the game. A bit easy though...didn't have to struggle much. I played this in one sitting. Started 2 hours after my last exam and was finished 8 hours later. I think I'll try to perfect my game with the next tournament.

Space win in 1974, 3004 I think...

Achnor
Attached Files:
File Type: zip achnor,space, 1974 ad.zip (172.5 KB, 0 views)
Old February 16, 2002, 05:22   #54
matohl
Settler

Here's my finished game, 2500+ score-victory in 2050 AD. Not very good, I know, but I submit it anyway. I changed the strategy in the mid of the game and went for a conquest victory that I didn't have the time to follow through. Originally I aimed for a space-race victory. Well, I guess I should have taken care of those pestering Persians from the start...
Attached Files:
File Type: zip matohl_shaka 2049 ad.zip (167.5 KB, 0 views)
Old February 17, 2002, 11:50   #55
Master Dré
Settler

Tournament 5, my game...
Hello all,

I have enjoyed playing this tournament. It is totally new for me, actually I have not finished one game yet (besides this tournament) as I haven't got civ3 right from the start. My story:

Started building 4 or 5 cities, then building up forces, mainly archers and those useless impi's...Destroyed persia easily.

Expanded both to the south and west. On both continents other "tribes"were already setled. Made some war with both greece and babylonia and took control of both continents. Then starting to build forbidden palace on the south continent with a great leader.

Then I made the mistake of doing nothing with my military overweight. I just started to build up those two continents.

When I had cavalry I started to conquer greece and russia; far too late!

At the end of the game the only opponent left was germany, I could easily overrun (Blitz-krieg!?) them as my army was really massive.

Conclusion: I should have been more agressive with such a big force or I shouldn't have build it up, not someting in between...

Domination, 3300+ points

André Kikkert
Attached Files:
File Type: zip master dré.zip (122.7 KB, 1 views)
Old February 17, 2002, 13:22   #56
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Launched a spaceship in 1850, with a score of 1994. It could have been a lot earlier, but I lost out in the wonder races for the Pyramids and Copernicus. My most distant and most corrupt city was able to build an ironworks.

Without any rivers, I had to settle for coal plants, but with a lot of workers, pollution was not that bad and surprisingly easy to manage UNTIL I built Mass Transit everywhere, after which there was big-time pollution. Hmm, I think the discovery of Ecology does much to trigger extra pollution.

There was one ill-advised sneak attack by the Persians, in an otherwise very peaceful game. By building the Manhattan Project to trigger a late and very useful Zulu Golden Age, discoveries until the end of the game came every 4 turns. Throughout the game, I had to learn almost all the techs myself, even though they were sold or shared immediately after acquisition. So much for 5 "scientific" opponents.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip solo.zip (121.3 KB, 4 views)
Old February 17, 2002, 17:39   #57
Be Quicker
Warlord

First Tourney.

Wanted quickest realtime victory so after initial conquering, I went for UN.

But Bad Score.

Attached Files:
File Type: zip be quicker diplomatic t5.zip (109.9 KB, 1 views)
Old February 18, 2002, 07:25   #58
Ney
Settler

Histogram victory: 2079 pts
Here it is. I had written down the whole story, but when I posted it, the system said I was not logged in and wiped out everything. So now just the game and a question: does the new version (1.17) affect saved games? If not, are new tournaments going to take into account the new version?
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ney_5thtourn_2049 ad.zip (137.7 KB, 1 views)
Old February 18, 2002, 07:39   #59
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by solo
Launched a spaceship in 1850
We all knew that solo would also be early launcher in civ3.
Anyway, I say WoW!
Would you mind giving some details (GLs, governments, number of cities,...)?
Old February 18, 2002, 13:32   #60
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

La Fayette,

I centered Zimbabwe on the home continent to make the most of its corruption control and built 7 cities as quickly as Zimbabwe could crank out the settlers. I started Colossus and the Pyramids as early as possible, while following a research path to reach Literature as soon possible, after which libraries became the priority. When I missed out on the Pyramids, I built the Great Library instead, which gained a few techs during the next part of the game. Even with that wonder, I still maxed out research to get into Republic ASAP to speed up learning techs. Republic was given to all the AI immediately, so they could switch to it and learn faster, too.

Everything was geared towards my primary goal during the game, which was to have 1000 or so total beakers to get 4 turn advances in the Modern Age, so 4 more cities were added, 3 on a nearby island and 1 more on a small islet having good luxuries plus the iron works resource combo. City growth took priority to increase commerce as quickly as possible, which is where your "size 6" helped me zip those island cities up to full size quickly. I went for all scientific wonders, only missing out on Copernicus, and always gave science improvements the priority.

It took time to build, but the Forbidden Palace came in just in time to boost the science output of the island cities. During the game, the most time ever spent on learning a tech was 10 turns, and I tried to keep the AI learning the techs I still lacked by always keeping them up to date. This provided about 4 or 5 techs through trade. Since they were scientific, I led them into new ages to be able to trade for their freebies.

As noted before, a well-timed Golden Age pushed my 1000 beaker total up to the needed 1500, guaranteeing advances every 4 turns for the rest of the game. This saved about 20 or so turns, which translated into 40 or more game years.

I think my generosity with techs to the AI kept most of them peaceful, as I only had one 5-turn war with the Persians who accepted peace after I razed two of their puny cities with tanks, and sunk a few galleons with my battleships. They attacked without oil or rubber to build a more modern force, so were never a threat.

I hope that's enough detail.

solo