Old August 25, 2000, 19:17   #1
Dr.Oogkloot
King

Local Time: 22:43
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Do You Rename Conquered Cities?
Just wondering...when you conquer a city, do you rename it? I tend not to, but that's probably still a habit from the Civ1 days...it would look weird in the replay (4000BC: Zulus found Dnepropetrovsk).

Of course (in case anyone didn't know) you can also rename enemy cities by using "examine city"...it's completely free for spies.

Dr.Oogkloot
Old August 25, 2000, 19:26   #2
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 19:13
Sometimes I rename a city to mock a particular Civ that has either backstabbed me or given me trouble through the years. Like "DIE Monguls" or "Take this loser" or a variation there of.

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
Administrator of the CornEmpire Forum
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old August 25, 2000, 19:57   #3
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 17:43
ahh, the old replay.txt file of Civ I. After my first win on chieftan, I printed out that file and highlighted all the great accomplisments of Gilgamesh of the Sumerians with multicolored highlighter pens I'm surprised they didn't keep some version of that in Civ II, it was fun to read through, and also entertaining and informative to watch it replayed on the map. Learned a few Civ basics watching it. Now you have to keep your own log (OCC style ).

As for renaming cities, I usually don't probably for similar reasons. When I am plowing through AI cities, sometimes I like to go back and see how many of each civ I've taken. Usually what ends up happening is after my initial burst of cities, I capture 10x as many as i found and it all becomes a blur as to which ones were my acutal cities (habit of large map games).

------------------
April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
Old August 26, 2000, 00:51   #4
Jim W
Warlord

I do, on occasion. As anyone knows who has read my thousands of posts, I've been renaming the civs and their cities. So occasionally, when some civ forces me to take time out in my drive to the stars to stomp on a pest, I will rename the city, maintaining some part of the name, but putting some form of linguistic "spin" on from the civ I'm playing.

Much in the same way that the Roman city Eboracum became the Saxon city Eforwic, which eventually shortened down to York.

Jim W
Old August 26, 2000, 02:49   #5
tonic
King

Yes, when it's important to distinguish your city from the civ you bribed it from eg in OCC16 that was how you got your city. Because you got to play as "Robin Hood" of the Merrymen, it seemed appropriate to rename Orleans, Tonicity, my generic for a new type of civ.
Old August 26, 2000, 13:12   #6
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 16:43
nahh, I like to leave the old names as a reminder of what I have conquored
Old August 26, 2000, 13:38   #7
Ken Hinds
Prince

The only ones I rename of a regular basis are the ( ) no name cities of the AI. And occasionally the repeated Issis, or whatever. I didn't know about the rename function working via the spy on an Enemy city. That would be a help sometimes.

Ken
Old August 26, 2000, 21:09   #8
Dr.Oogkloot
King

Does the AI build cities with no name? When? How? Where? Why?

BTW you can also rename enemy cities with diplomats instead of spies but IIRC you lose the diplomat.
Old August 27, 2000, 02:20   #9
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 16:43
Dr. Oogkloot, et al.:

I *do not* rename cities. In fact, the only time I bother with anything other than standard management of conquered enemy cities is when said enemy has really p*ssed me off.

In that case, I do much more than rename captured cities. I decimate them. I bring in my military and plunder every single square of irrigation, farmland, roads, rails and mines. Then I proceed to starve the city down to level one. Then the pitiful survivors are converted into a "freebie" settler/engineer unit for use on my *own* cities. It doesn't happen often ... but when it does, more than one slave engineer can be found maxing my own cities' potential out.

CYBERAmazon
Old August 27, 2000, 06:29   #10
Comrade Dan
King

Local Time: 10:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Not really - I'm too busy conquering the world by then.

But when I'm building a city on the World map, and there's no name coming to mind (like the middle of Greenland) and I've already used up Cent. Greenland, I just type in ****ing Cold or Holy ****! or Suck My **** or something like that...
Old August 27, 2000, 13:03   #11
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Sometimes I rename my conquered cities, but mostly I do not because I like to see who I conquered. Zulu, Babylonian, Greek etc.

As a side note: the worst civs you can play against are the
Zulu, Carthaginians, Greeks, Mongols, and Vikings, NEVER Trust them.
Old August 29, 2000, 04:33   #12
Tizzy
Warlord

I only rename them if I'm playing on a small map (which isn't very often). On a large map it's easier to keep track of what cities are where if I leave the names as they are.

Tiz
Old August 29, 2000, 10:50   #13
Deathwalker
Prince

In multiplay I do to mock the other player, but in single player I just do not bother.

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old August 29, 2000, 11:19   #14
Bohlen
Prince

I really don't bother renaming in SP or MP most of the time. I'll sometimes put "New" in front of a conquered city if I think of it after a bloody battle or when the AI civ is destroyed.

Now that I think of it, I usually change St. Petersburg to St. Stevensburg in honor of myself.

------------------
Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance
Old August 29, 2000, 15:58   #15
tobyr
Prince

I find it helpful to keep track of:
- which are my cities (not AI's), since sometimes they are listed together, e.g., for trade.
- whether my cities are on a coast.
- which of the four maps my cities are on (ToT fantasy game).

So I use the following convention: every city name ends with a digit (0,1,2,3 -- the map number) followed by "c" if a coastal city, and maybe "L" for a land-locked-lake-coast city.

I suffix conquered cities to follow this convention early in the game; late in the game, I may be sitting pretty and no longer care to bother.

- toby

------------------
toby robison
criticalpaths@mindspring.com
Old August 29, 2000, 20:46   #16
Alexander's Horse

Yeah I renamed one city I just captured "Suck on That" last night in a multiplayer game.

Old August 30, 2000, 00:31   #17
Bohlen
Prince

Ouch! Good one, Horse. I bet you didn't make any new friends with that one.

------------------
Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance
Old August 30, 2000, 01:20   #18
Mark von Wagner
Prince

I only rename conquered cities if the city has one of the generic names, such as "Issus". Then, I add a roman numeral to the end to indicate the order in which it joined my empire. So, for example, I would have Issus I, Issus II, Issus III, all the way up to things like Issus V and Dortmund XI. (For an example of this in use, see my game in the hall of fame).

Mark
Old August 30, 2000, 09:16   #19
tobyr
Prince

This is slightly off-topic, but when editing the list of city names, I accidentally added this city name:

I

It's a great city name for the goblins, or for several other swell-headed civs you could name.

- toby

------------------
toby robison
criticalpaths@mindspring.com
Old August 30, 2000, 22:04   #20
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:43
No, and I only wish that the architecture also remained the same.

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old August 31, 2000, 02:08   #21
Comrade Dan
King

Local Time: 10:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

As a side note: the worst civs you can play against are the
Zulu, Carthaginians, Greeks, Mongols, and Vikings, NEVER Trust them.

You forgot the French and Spanish. Spanish are the most backstabbish civs you can play against...
Old September 4, 2000, 18:00   #22
Emperor10
Warlord

I usually don't rename the provincial cities, but I do rename the capitals to something obscene and insulting. I figure its the best way to show the people who's their new lord and master from now until eternity... by transforming the pride of their civlization into a joke ::insert evil laughter here::
[This message has been edited by Emperor10 (edited September 04, 2000).]
Old September 12, 2000, 16:43   #23
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 19:43
I'm way too lazy to do that, but i once renamed stutgart in the WW79 scenario (i was the Soviets, allied with america from the beginning and they had taken that city only on europe, so i was going to subvert it, but when i remembered that democratic cities couldn't, i renamed it to "Spy!!!"
Old September 12, 2000, 21:14   #24
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I don't normally (at most a hint as to the original civ), but I know Moker does. I've been losing some to him in a Tribe game, and they all end up with just a single letter each!

*s*
[This message has been edited by cavebear (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old September 14, 2000, 06:42   #25
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:43
Using the spy's "investigate city"option, I will usually rename cities I'm planning on conquering BEFORE I take them over. That saves me the trouble later on, and keeps me on track for where I'm campaigning.
I will usually keep the default names for my own civ, and "americanize" or "Egyptize" the names of the cities I take over, allowing me to keep track of where I've conquered.
Old September 21, 2000, 17:17   #26
Crustacian
Prince

Local Time: 14:43
Renaming conquered cities is fun for me many times, and also when an enemy ship is offshore from one it is hard to resist a fitting temporary rename.