Old February 6, 2002, 19:37   #31
jackshot
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton

One group: something that is still *behind* HOMM in gameplay "technology". From what I understand, and it makes sense from the design, HOMM4 will no longer feature the "superhero" or in D2, "superparty" strategy. From 1 to 3, the general strategy 95% of the time was to produce one superhero and the other heroes were defenders/errand runners.
Just wondering, what do you mean by "behind"? I don't see this issue as evolutionary, maybe I'm wrong. D1 was always unit swapping and using mulitple armies - one maxed out fighter, used well, could upgrade 3-4 armies. I think SF changed to the superleader style deliberately, as yin26 said, to increase the RPG feel.

On a separate train of thought, I think AoW2 and HoMM4 are going to be very strong titles and somebody's going to lose in the mix; it will probably be this one. They are not working with a big budget, and without any way to make random maps the game will need a lot of support from a community in order to have legs - for D1 that community never developed. We shall see.

But you can't blame them for not trying.
Old February 7, 2002, 13:39   #32
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 21:06
Disciples 2 should be out here comfortably in advance of AoW2 and HOMM4. If it isn't then I expect my cash will go on AoW2 first. Despite the fixed map campaign its still the closest thing to Master of Magic we are likely to see for a while. I was excited to see the MOO3 staff contemplating a proper remake of that old classic though. Something to look forward to in a couple of years perhaps.
Old February 7, 2002, 13:47   #33
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Disciples 2 should be out here comfortably in advance of AoW2 and HOMM4.
I heard it wasn't being released in Europe, Asia, etc.? However, they may be releasing it in the U.K., I don't know.
Old February 7, 2002, 14:46   #34
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
I heard it wasn't being released in Europe, Asia, etc.? However, they may be releasing it in the U.K., I don't know.
Woops, never mind, it is going to be released in Europe. It just won't be until late April.
Old February 7, 2002, 16:49   #35
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Got it!
Iīve got the US -version. (Prefer it to the German version anyway, because the translations are often involuntarily humorous: SimCity 3000 had 'Landmarks' translated into 'Landschaften', which means 'Landscapes'. )

First impressions:

On par with 'Warlords', but not with 'Homm x'. Suffers from the CivIII syndrome (sacrificing complexity in favour of simplicity). That said, I find it quite well balanced at highest diff. Clerics suck, or am I missing something?. After 2 scenarios, game is still immersive, but long term attractivity is questionable. Hotseat and Editor included, which is good. Will play hotseat game Saturday with friend.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old February 7, 2002, 23:37   #36
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Clerics are pretty useless.

Also, I found it useless to swap units, since you can only bring a very limited number of units to the next scenario, having more than a few high level units is just a waste of time.
Old February 9, 2002, 12:48   #37
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Some more first impressions
So far I like the scenarios. The game has a pretty good events engine, which makes them more interesting.

Found a use for Clerics: Warrior Leader + 2 Squires in the front row, Cleric in the back row. This combo can be pretty strong, but I think itīs the only way to use Clerics. They donīt work well with another back row unit.

Old February 9, 2002, 12:54   #38
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Ambushing Tactics
When you discover a scary enemy, try let them come to you and set up an ambush. (In your territory, you see them, they donīt see you. )

Attack them with a swarm of Thieves first. Either Poison a few times, or Counterfeit Orders and Assassination. Then strike them at least twice with Magic. Most stacks will now be weak enough they are no match for your main army.

Old February 9, 2002, 23:50   #39
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I would try to get them to attack my power stack in a well defended town. I am sure they can see their own stacks in your territory providing that they have explored that area.

The best thing in the game is invisibility.
Old February 10, 2002, 13:47   #40
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Yes, I try to keep them from exploring my turf, as much as I can. And try to make sure that, whenever they move into my territory, they walk into an ambush.

Is there an Invisibility spell? I have not arrived at the high level spells yet.

Btw, outside the campaigns, would units ever reach 5th level? 3000 Gold for an improvement seems so much I canīt imagine having that, even on a large map.

My favourite unit, so far, is the Thief: They are fast, cheap, and extremely versatile, particularly if you are a Guildmaster.

Old February 10, 2002, 15:46   #41
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
My favourite unit, so far, is the Thief: They are fast, cheap, and extremely versatile, particularly if you are a Guildmaster.
And tedious. In the late game, when you have a ton of money, you might as well make 50 of them, bombard the last town or whatever, and make the final blow with a hero. And I thought workers on pollution were bad.

Even in the mid-game you could have have 10 or more running around if you want when you have excess money while making all of your structures, etc.

This is one of many reasons why I quit playing D2.
Old February 10, 2002, 19:07   #42
Comrade Tribune
Prince

In theory, I can see the problem. But, which diff are you playing on? Playing on very hard, I must admit I never had a ton of money yet.