Old February 2, 2002, 15:25   #1
trx
Settler

Local Time: 20:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Multiplayer CTP2
Hi,
how is possible to play without internet server, but only point to point with CTP2?

CTP2 is able to search a LAN trough internet??

Thanks,
Paolo
Old February 3, 2002, 17:12   #2
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Hi trx,
i'm not sure i entirely understand the question ,but if you don't have internet access then the only way to play multiplayer is over a local network setup(ie LAN) where you have a few or more pc's networked together.Can CTP2 search for LAN over the internet?I would think not, but i've got no experience on this subject having never tried it myself.
I think its an either/or choice you can play over the net(never tried) or over a LAN which i have tried and recommend - its great fun to crush your friends

Last edited by child of Thor; February 3, 2002 at 17:19.
Old February 3, 2002, 18:38   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:06
I concur with child of Thor, it's an either-or thing.

I, myself, have played and still play LAN games with my roommate. We tried internet play once, but we couldn't get it to work since we were both using the same DSL/internet IP address. So this leads me to believe that you can either play internet OR LAN, but not both at the same time.
Old February 4, 2002, 04:38   #4
trx
Settler

multiplayer
Another question:

is possible to create a CTP2 internet server on my Computer?

Thanks,
Paolo
Old February 4, 2002, 21:46   #5
Oerdin
Deity

I suppose you could with enough time and money. You'd have to find and install a copy of the server software then you'd have to have all of your players add your new "server" to their server.dat file. Then you'd be in business, but, with cable and dsl service so cheap and given the fact that there is so much availible space on existing servers... Why would you want to?

Just get join an ISP and play over the internet, not only will it be easier, but you'll also find many more player's that way.
Old February 5, 2002, 00:04   #6
child of Thor
Emperor

I can change the amount of computer players in a single player game as outlined in the FAQ, but how can i do it in multiplayer? you can change the userprofile text but when you go to add enemy AI you can only ever seem to have a total of 8 players(computer or human).Any ideas?
Old February 5, 2002, 05:59   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:06
More than 8 players in a LAN game? I don't think you can do that but I can't imagine you'd want that either... (the thought having to wait for 30 other players to take their turn alone! )
Old February 5, 2002, 12:22   #8
child of Thor
Emperor

I normaly play multiplayer with 2-3 human players(on time limits) and the rest AI.It's just now that i've had a go at the mods and the larger maps, it would be great if i could fill up the space with a few more AI's.am i crazy?maybe....but i'm patient and can put up with a bit of late game slow down.Gives mea chance for a coffee and wind up the opposition I don't suppose there is some code somewhere i could change like in the userprofile for example?Help
Old February 5, 2002, 13:17   #9
trx
Settler

Thanks for your reply!!
My question because I work in a private network (DSL) and build a server CTP2 is not expenses for me.......

I hope that it simply....... but i think that it's difficult to find a CTP2 game server.....

thanks again.....
Old February 5, 2002, 13:20   #10
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
I normaly play multiplayer with 2-3 human players(on time limits) and the rest AI.It's just now that i've had a go at the mods and the larger maps, it would be great if i could fill up the space with a few more AI's.am i crazy?maybe....
Hmm, you got a point there.... But again, I don't think it's possible to have more than 8 civs in Multiplayer (but then again, I'm by no means a MP expert).
Old February 5, 2002, 17:16   #11
Oerdin
Deity

On the default settings you can only play with eight civs at one time. In MP you can only launch a game with four players and the other four would have to join in after the game has been launched. I know the single player game can be hacked to allow you to play something like 32 civs but it does this by repeating colors (you'd have four civs with the same color) so this would make MP play very confusing.

I've found MP to work best with four human players and no AI if the game is to be competetive or four humans and four AI if the game is just for fun. Also if some of you haven't played MP I would HIGHLY recommend you try it. The MP launch is much more versital then the SP set up. You can specifiy starting technologies, money, number of settlers, exclude certian wonders or techs... etc.
Old February 5, 2002, 17:39   #12
Locutus
Deity

You can change the colors in Colors00.txt

I don't even have time for SP, let alone MP Maybe in 20 years, when I'm done modding
Old February 5, 2002, 18:32   #13
child of Thor
Emperor

Oerdin,
I'd live with the confusion - i guess as i've been spoilt recently with the quality of the mods i just want it all.I suppose in multiplayer any AI does eventually become fodder(hopefully!), I just like the game to feel 'historic' with a fair representation of the worlds main civs.
Locutus,
thanks for the colors00.txt, i'm enjoying the prospect of having to dive into the SLIC Files(cue x-file music) at sometime in the future, and i really feel for you if you don't get much opportunity to enjoy the fruits of your work....but then again if you ain't modding then its less of a game for the rest of us
Old February 5, 2002, 19:35   #14
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
thanks for the colors00.txt, i'm enjoying the prospect of having to dive into the SLIC Files(cue x-file music) at sometime in the future,
Cool, the more SLICers the merrier...
Quote:
and i really feel for you if you don't get much opportunity to enjoy the fruits of your work....but then again if you ain't modding then its less of a game for the rest of us
Don't worry, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't enjoy it
Old February 6, 2002, 19:51   #15
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Also if some of you haven't played MP I would HIGHLY recommend you try it. The MP launch is much more versital then the SP set up. You can specifiy starting technologies, money, number of settlers, exclude certian wonders or techs... etc.
Just to add that i often play single player games this way, especially on small/medium size maps,as you have much more control over the game you play and the civs you play against.
Old February 7, 2002, 17:27   #16
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Oerdin,
I'd live with the confusion - i guess as i've been spoilt recently with the quality of the mods i just want it all.I suppose in multiplayer any AI does eventually become fodder(hopefully!), I just like the game to feel 'historic' with a fair representation of the worlds main civs.
Ok, here is what I'd do. I'd download the mod that lets you play with 32 civs (plus one Attila) the save in your MP folder as senerio. Then find your MP buddies and enjoy!

Quote:
Just to add that i often play single player games this way, especially on small/medium size maps,as you have much more control over the game you play and the civs you play against.
I see lots of people doing this and I must admite it sure would beat a normal SP game. Plus you can leave the other seats open and maybe another player will drop in. The only problem is you need another player inorder to launch the game.
Old February 7, 2002, 18:14   #17
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
I see lots of people doing this and I must admite it sure would beat a normal SP game. Plus you can leave the other seats open and maybe another player will drop in. The only problem is you need another player inorder to launch the game.
Aha! So that's why it doesn't work for me! I tried this trick too some time ago but for some reason the game wouldn't launch after I had set up everything. I just gave up on it at the time; hardly have time to play anyway, might as well play the regular game when I do. But if there's some sort of trick people know to solve this problem, I'd wouldn't mind knowing about it... (Would make a good addition to the FAQ too - it may not be frequently asked but it's something every player ought to know about).
Old February 8, 2002, 14:39   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Aha! So that's why it doesn't work for me! I tried this trick too some time ago but for some reason the game wouldn't launch after I had set up everything. I just gave up on it at the time; hardly have time to play anyway, might as well play the regular game when I do. But if there's some sort of trick people know to solve this problem, I'd wouldn't mind knowing about it... (Would make a good addition to the FAQ too - it may not be frequently asked but it's something every player ought to know about).
To my knowledge no one has addressed this issue. I assume we could fix this problem by simply eliminating the offending line that says (effectively) "check to see if to or more players are present, if yes then proceed, if no then block launch". Perhaphes someone else has looked into this before and can shed some light on this; I think this would be a great addition to a mod if we could figure out how to enable it.
Old February 8, 2002, 15:32   #19
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:

Ok, here is what I'd do. I'd download the mod that lets you play with 32 civs (plus one Attila) the save in your MP folder as senerio. Then find your MP buddies and enjoy!

The only problem is you need another player inorder to launch the game.
Heh great!I wouldn't have thought of that.So i just launch it as a scenerio?I'll play around with it and let you know how it goes, it could be great
As to the other bit about SP games in multiplayer launch - i just create my game, add the 6 or 7 other civs(if i remember right if you try 8 other civs it crashes or won't launch or something, the no:8 civ might be reserved for Barbarians?) and it launches fine with just my computer on(no-one else needed to launch it), is this what both of you are on about?