Old February 2, 2002, 21:45   #1
embermage
Settler

Local Time: 15:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
i never get any leaders! help!
i never can get any leaders! i've tried camping an elite unit next to a barbarian camp, and i have had enough wars! i've gotten 2 leaders TOTAL in every game i've ever played! Does anyone have any good strategies on how to get a leader? Thanx
Old February 2, 2002, 22:22   #2
muppet
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:07
You can not get Leaders from Elite units defeating barbarians. Barbarians are only good for promotions up to Elite.

Use your Elite's to fight battles they are heavily favored to win. Use bombardment units to soften up enemy units for your Elite to kill. Preseve your Elite units.
Old February 2, 2002, 23:36   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If you upgrade your troops (ie horsemen to knights) it might be worth NOT upgrading your elite horsemen. Use these guys to pick off easy enemy unit, giving you more chance to generate a leader.

Also, build the heroic epic - it gives you more chance to generate a leader.
Finally, be a military civ - they start out with a better chance to generate leaders.
Old February 3, 2002, 01:22   #4
Dienstag
Warlord

Local Time: 20:07
One more thing: HAVE LOTS OF ELITE UNITS. Partly, this is about not hazarding them in frontal assaults against strong defenders (I think this may have been part of Skanky Burns' anti-upgrade comment, no?). On the other hand, you got to create more as well. I strongly suggest building a HIGH percentage of your units in cities with baracks. Every little bit helps.

In my current game, I got my second leader in the 1300's, for what it's worth. Good luck.
Old February 3, 2002, 01:49   #5
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:07
I've played as a total warmonger on a huge 16 civ map, and never had more than four leaders.
Old February 3, 2002, 03:04   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:07
Yep Dienstag

Of course, keep cranking out those veteran units. Use these guys to crack tough enemy units / positions / cities, hopefully helping some of your guys become elite.

Your success will vary though depending on the game. Some games I've had so many leaders that I grabbed all the wonders and *still* had GLs left over, other games I didn't even get 1.
Old February 3, 2002, 03:17   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:07
Don't save leaders, use them.

I have seen comments that people have had 2 or 3 leaders at the same time. I have never seen it.

Last conquer-a-thon I played had all wonders by 1890 or so. Played through till 2038 or so. Spaceship and diplomatic victory disabled. Final General War broke out in about 1900. Got a leader in 1903 or so. Saved him to rush a palace if I need to move mine. Never got another although there was more combat with a lot more Elites in the last 130 turns than all before it (got a total of 4 before the last guy that I saved).

BTW, I actually think that bombarding enemies down to 1 HP may very well lessen the chances of getting a leader from a successful combat. I saw a guy who studied the predetermined random numbers. The good results came every so many chances (ie one roll of the die to determine the loss of 1 hit point). The conclusion seemed to be that the more chances (ie more HP of the defender) the greater the chance of promotion/leader generation. But alas, also more chance of losing an Elite (ain't war a b*tch).

Salve
Old February 3, 2002, 18:26   #8
cassembler
Prince

Editor...

Hoplites...

"Rush build improvements..."

"build armies"

no need leaders...

*broken*
Old February 4, 2002, 02:24   #9
Bambul
Warlord

Local Time: 06:07
It's a lot of luck I guess. In my current game my very first elite battle (yes, the *very first* one) gave me a great leader. I'm not sure if I had even discovered the wheel by then

So far in that game I have got 4 leaders, my best result ever.

But my first leader didn't come until my 4th game, and even them it took 37 elite victories in just that game to get one. It was exciting. I kept a screenshot.
Old February 4, 2002, 02:35   #10
Ironikinit
Prince

That little pause while it calculates if your elite unit has produced a leader is one of the most exciting parts of the game.
Old February 4, 2002, 06:52   #11
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 21:07
Leaders are so rare that comparing rarity opens up huge potential for mistaken criteria to creep in. The most leaders I've ever had (six) was in the 2nd Apolyton tournament scenario playing as a non-military civ who hadn't built the Heroic Epic. I just did lots and lots of fighting until I achieved domination. During the final stages I had 3 simultaneous leaders because the first two had nothing useful to do except wait to rushbuild the modern wonders as soon as I discovered them.
Old February 4, 2002, 08:41   #12
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 22:07
The patch
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I have seen comments that people have had 2 or 3 leaders at the same time. I have never seen it.
I had 2 leaders at the same time before the patch. Never again since then.
Now, I use them immediately (building factories, cathedrals, whatever) and in my last game I had 3 in the same turn, but never at the same time.
Old February 4, 2002, 14:33   #13
Thrawn05
King

Re: i never get any leaders! help!
Quote:
Originally posted by embermage
i never can get any leaders! i've tried camping an elite unit next to a barbarian camp, and i have had enough wars! i've gotten 2 leaders TOTAL in every game i've ever played! Does anyone have any good strategies on how to get a leader? Thanx
IMHO: You can't. Welcome to the club.
Old February 5, 2002, 04:32   #14
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Too much beer cassembler? Come again.

Salve