Old February 2, 2002, 23:13   #1
Ironikinit
Prince

Local Time: 15:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bad review from Gamingxpress
A generally negative review, that was posted some time ago. Tonight was the first time I read it, though.

http://www.gamingxpress.com/review.civ3.html

They gave it a 7.5, which seems odd since I assume the rating only goes up to 10. 75% is better than the text would suggest. For example:

"Overall, the game was quite disappointing, especially considering it is inheriting the mantle of one of the most hallowed games in computer gaming history. Totally average."

The thing is, the hallowed game he's talking about isn't Civ 2, it's the original Civ:

"Although Civ 2 practically copied the gameplay word for word, it just wasn't Civ. It didn't quite capture the same magic and impact of the original."

Had to laugh there, given that I've seen the exact same thing said about Civ 3 not matching Civ 2. I'm not sure which the reviewer disliked more, 2 or 3.

There were some points that I agreed with, for example:

"One thing I am really, really glad for regarding the graphics, though, is that your advisors are no longer dumb-looking live actor clowns dressed in armor or shades or whatever. Now they're cartoony dumb-looking clowns dressed in armor or shades or whatever. That may not sound like much, but it is a HUGE improvement in my book. Why? Because now the dumb-look is completely intentional, a result of the cartoony style. In the former it was unintentional, an unfortunate side-effect of using actors for models. I still look at those days when CD-ROM first came out and "multimedia video" was all the rage as the Dark Ages of computer gaming where people thought just having multimedia in your game made it good. (Wing Commander 3... shudder...)

Gone are those ugly low-res video clips each time a wonder comes out or a civilopedia entry is looked up. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Now all we have are high-res cutesy images that go with text. Much better. Other than that, the graphics are more or less unremarkable. "

I don't totally agree, because there's no way I can believe that the advisors in Civ 2 weren't intentionally stupid looking.

He also didn't like the city view, and again, I got to agree. It's really bad, and when he says the cities look like ghost towns, he not harsh enough. Ghost towns at least have some consistency.

Oddly, he didn't have a problem with cultural takeover. Another odd thing is that he didn't like the combat system. I figure that's funny if he liked the original game, because Civ 3's system reminds me of the Civ 1 system. I'm not saying that one is better or worse, just that Civ 3's reminds me of the original, back before firepower.

Some of his other problems would be helped if the manual was better or if the set up of the game itself was easier to understand. For instance, he complains that there's no button to end the turn (there is, and it's in a handy spot). Another problem he had with having to watch unit animations, and a quick trip to the preference menu could've fixed that right up.

Anyway, I liked the review because the guy's a smart alec and a traditionalist. He's also persuasive. However, I think he was wrong about die hard civilians being the only ones who'll like the game. Seems to me that some of the die hards are the ones who do the most complaining around here.

Last edited by Ironikinit; February 2, 2002 at 23:29.
Old February 3, 2002, 02:36   #2
Tarquelne
Warlord

And the reviewer's comments on Luxury and Strategic Resources are.....?
Old February 3, 2002, 05:24   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:07
Re: Bad review from Gamingxpress
Quote:
Originally posted by Ironikinit
Anyway, I liked the review because the guy's a smart alec and a traditionalist. He's also persuasive. However, I think he was wrong about die hard civilians being the only ones who'll like the game. Seems to me that some of the die hards are the ones who do the most complaining around here.
You are soooo right. It's the people who are disappointed that Civ3 is not their dream after having invested hundreds if not thousands of hours into Civ2 or CTP2 or SMAC that are the harshest critics. And just imagine if you had put hundreds of hours into Civ3 suggestions. Oiy veh! (Apologies to the Yiddish for the ignorance of spelling and usage).

Honestly, there are many things I have problems with, but I think I have problems with many of them exactly because they violate my expectations. In other words, many of them are my baggage, not short comings of the designers.

On the other hand, the critics do have some valid points. Is group movement too much to be expected? How about a better build que? A useful editor? These are things that went by the way-side in the rush to be out for Christmas (I hope, I hope).

The game been out for 3 months now. I am content to cut the designers and publishers some slack. Others may not be so inclined. Got your knife sharpened? You may need it.

Salve
Old February 3, 2002, 05:47   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

OK. Now I've read the thing, and not just your post.

I have to wonder whether the guy played the game at all or just skimmed the forums.

No mention of the impact of resourses. Yes he used the word, but did not seem to even come close to grasping the importance of them. How could he have played the game?

The other thing that struck me was his mention of how combat devolved from Civ1 to 3 *Some aspects were totally trashed and ruined, like combat*.

You betcha, our phalanx no longer kill Battleships. What a regression! And they complain about the Anti-Tank Spearman. Just wait till they see his big brother!

Salve
Old February 3, 2002, 20:48   #5
Ironikinit
Prince

Well, battleships probably would lose to spearmen once in a while if they could get out of the water and drive around town shooting at the spearmen like they could in Civ 1 and 2.
Old February 3, 2002, 21:10   #6
notyoueither
Deity

Exactly.

And the fact that BBs are no longer amphibians is regression?

Well, I suppose that from a Darwinian view point it would be.

Salve
Old February 3, 2002, 21:47   #7
Encomium
Warlord

Nothing could be more stupid in Civ III than waves of bombers being unable to sink any warship, and I suppose that includes galleys!

BRING BACK SCENARIO BUILDING!!

For those who want a more realistic game, go to the other site's new mods forum and download the LWC mod. Much better than Sid's thrown together mess.