View Poll Results: Does "culturally-linked starting locations" actually work?
Yes, all the time. 5 19.23%
Well enough for me. 10 38.46%
No, not really. 5 19.23%
I don't use that option, so I don't care. 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 3, 2002, 16:37   #1
siredgar
Prince

Local Time: 15:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Culturally-linked doesn't work.
It only seems to work about half the time, if that, and that isn't exactly "working" to me.

Right now, I'm playing the Dutch ("European") and I started out immediately bordering the Japanese ("Asian") and the Egyptians (Middle Eastern"). The next closest are the Portuguese, the Spanish, and the Italians (all "Mediterranean"). I also have the Koreans ("Asian") nearby. The two remaining civs on the continent are actually (gasp!) "European"-- the Germans and the Russians. Other "European" civs (the French and the British) are on another continent.

This is very typical and happens at least half of the time.

Does this sound like "culturally-linked starting locations" to you?

Attached Files:
File Type: zip william of the dutch, 830 ad.zip (228.8 KB, 0 views)
Old February 3, 2002, 17:56   #2
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

While culturally-linked starting positions are a factor for determining starting postions, they are not a rule followed 100% of the time, nor are they a major factor (or so it seems). However, it does seem to work for me quite a bit. I have played several games as the Greeks (Med.) and both the Romans and Egyptians (both Med. as well) were on my continent.
Old February 4, 2002, 05:54   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 21:09
You are obviously using a mod. Could it be, that the modders messed the culture settings, while replacing the original civs? May be, there's something hardcoded (that would be not good).

Generally the culture linked start position work pretty good for me. When I look at the map after I discover it completely, I often see all those cultures in blocks of countries. Of course this works the better, the larger the map is and the more civs are in it.

In my current game I (Germans) am linked with the French and Russians (my culture) and the Zulus. The French are linked with me, the Russians, the English and the Zulus. The Russians are linked with the French, English and me and The English only with the Russians and French. The Zulus have only 1 not mentioned neighbor, the Americans. Two asian cultures (China and India) share another continent.

Gives a pretty good block of European civs, but you can't expect to be linked exclusively with your culture, as your start position could be a border of the "culture block" (as me in my current game).

Last edited by Harovan; February 4, 2002 at 06:00.
Old February 4, 2002, 15:05   #4
siredgar
Prince

Well, I'm using a mod that I created myself, but I didn't make any changes that I know of to affect culture-linking.

It's very random right now. I'm not happy at all. I just can't wait until you can specify the player starting locations in the map editor!
Old February 4, 2002, 15:25   #5
Zealot
King

Local Time: 21:09
Reminder to Firaxis:

Add the Culturally-linked option in the editor, so mods can determine which Civ is linked to wich.
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old February 4, 2002, 15:30   #6
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 22:09
it works alright, but it sucks..it's really tiresome to always start next to the babyloniers.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old February 4, 2002, 19:49   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy
it works alright, but it sucks..it's really tiresome to always start next to the babyloniers.
????

You completly missed the fact that you can now turn culturally linked starting locations off???

Read the patch txt for details