Old November 18, 2000, 20:58   #1
CivilizationCanuck
Settler

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hehe
You have some good thoughts on Civ2, and I totally agree with a lot of them.

Especially when another nation is getting clobberred early in the game, I want to help them out, so I don't play the rest of the game with 5 civs or less.

More options when talking to leaders. SMAC improved on this, the submission and surrender condition was great.. instead of wiping out a faciton you could now use them as a puppet faction. More pacts, more options to have war, more threats to leaders who are threating you or your allies through force, economics.. etc.

Now some of my ideas... I really hated in Civ 2 when you conquer a city that has no value to you, but you took it over for the sake of weakining your enemy. Example: I roll into Magniostrokava, a dirt town of 3.. and I have to keep it??! Why not burn it to the ground and obliterate it that sucka! Now SMAC did have this option, although there should be options to make it more discreet with smaller cities. Meaning yes the factions would find out if Washington DC wasn't there one day and impose sanctions, but would they necessarily find out if Dumpsville was destroyed, and if that, destroyed by you?

Next Spies should have more options. I like investigate city, but they should be able to stay in the city for more time, as a mole perhaps, and pick up information. Also if spies are caught.. they shouldn't be lost... the other faction should have control of them, and have the option of executing, imprisioning, turning into a double agent, or making a spy exchange if one of yours is MIA.

Last, I don't recall seeing a P-51 Mustang turn into a F-16 overnight without any developments inbetween. Which is why Civ 3 would be excellent with customization of units, such as the workshop, fitting them with the latest weapons, engines, rudders, etc.

Thats all!
Old November 18, 2000, 20:59   #2
CivilizationCanuck
Settler

This actually belongs in "a couple of my thoughts" by Ridock.

I pressed the wrong button.
Old November 18, 2000, 21:13   #3
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:32
nice name for a thread not the most descriptive tho
Old November 18, 2000, 21:28   #4
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:32
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Cool ideas. These are the areas I also would like improvement in. More military options, more city destruction options (that smuggling a nuke in is kinda vague). I especially like the CIA-KGB suggestions.
Old November 19, 2000, 02:07   #5
Tical_2000
Warlord

Brothers, we gots to keeps our ideas short and sweet. Does anyone else loathe reading these long posts??? I don't want to read a single post that takes longer than 25 seconds to read maximum.
Old November 20, 2000, 08:17   #6
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:32
*scratches head*
Don't then!

edit: It's a feature of this forum that there are many people willing to contribute a lot of time and effort into some very sophisticated and well thought out ideas. We should definitely not stop that!

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited November 20, 2000).]
Old November 20, 2000, 21:51   #7
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:32
quote:

Originally posted by Tical_2000 on 11-19-2000 01:07 AM

Brothers, we gots to keeps our ideas short and sweet. Does anyone else loathe reading these long posts??? I don't want to read a single post that takes longer than 25 seconds to read maximum.

I see that you haven't run into MtG yet.... There's a guy who can make a truly long post...

Old November 21, 2000, 01:42   #8
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:32
Hmmm, guess I'd better lock this one 'cause of the mess up. But if somebody wants to start a new thread on this topic, feel free.