Old February 4, 2002, 10:48   #1
MBloomIII
Prince

Local Time: 15:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
First Presidential Election!
I'll take the bull by the horns.

The first election shall be held on Wednesday, February 6th, 2002.
The poll will be open 24 hours. A candidate must receive over 50% of the vote to be elected or we will have a run-off the next day to determine the winner. Also on the ballot will be length of office term. I'm shooting to have the President in office by Friday to get this ball rolling. After the President is elected, he may set the agenda for his term of office.

Start nominating folks. You cannot nominate yourself and there must be a second for the nomination to become official. (You also cannot second yourself.) You can, however, put yourself up for nomination.
Old February 4, 2002, 11:06   #2
MBloomIII
Prince

The idea I have in my head is that we set a real-time limit on the President. (i.e 1-week, 1-day, 1-month, whatever). During that time there will be a pre-set number of turns the President must accomplish(i.e. 5, 10, 15, etc..). As President, they can do whatever they want. They can consult with the cabinet, conduct polls, etc.. After the time-limit, they are up for re-election. The will of the people will then determine whether they may continue.

Since we are attempting to start as a Democracy, the first president will probably need to be more of a Constitutional author rather than a President so we can establish the conditions of our Democracy. Once the guidelines are in place, off we go.

We need a President who can think through the majority of the problems we may face and can establish conditions to prevent or minimize those problems. If we can establish a cohesive set of ground rules, this whole process will go much more smoothly. I'm thinking the first Presidential term will be a Constitutional Convention with lots of polls about structure. From there the game can start. This first term will determine the type of cabinet, checks and balances, term-limits (if any), voter registration, etc.

Let's get this thing going.

Start nominating.
Old February 4, 2002, 14:02   #3
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 14:11
Quote:
Originally posted by MBloomIII
Start nominating.
... but do it in the nomination thread. It is titled something like "Nominances for elections". So far the two presidential nominees are me and Shaka Naldur. Most other posts have only one candidate - we need more!

Also, vote for your term preferences in the election terms poll.

Thanks for setting an election date, MBloomIII!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old February 4, 2002, 15:14   #4
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 23:11
What about Cabinet elections? Should we not determine the list of available Cabinet posts, and then have the appropriate elections?
Old February 4, 2002, 16:06   #5
MBloomIII
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
What about Cabinet elections? Should we not determine the list of available Cabinet posts, and then have the appropriate elections?
That topic is touched in in the second post. We just need to get the ball rolling. Most Democracies spend an inordinate amount of time talking and forming commitees. I'm trying to get the ball rolling by letting the first President organize the tedium.

I don't want this to end up like some hippie-commune where all we do is talk about what we are going to do one day. Let's just do it.

Old February 4, 2002, 16:09   #6
MBloomIII
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq

... but do it in the nomination thread. It is titled something like "Nominances for elections". So far the two presidential nominees are me and Shaka Naldur. Most other posts have only one candidate - we need more!
Here's the link.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=40847
Old February 4, 2002, 16:16   #7
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
I don't want this to end up like some hippie-commune where all we do is talk about what we are going to do one day. Let's just do it.
*to others* I like this chap.
Old February 5, 2002, 05:22   #8
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 20:11
Quote:

That topic is touched in in the second post. We just need to get the ball rolling. Most Democracies spend an inordinate amount of time talking and forming commitees. I'm trying to get the ball rolling by letting the first President organize the tedium.

I agree!
Old February 6, 2002, 12:12   #9
Kassiopeia
Emperor

I bustle with pride as I report that I am the person who gave the second vote in the historical first election of the 1st President of Apolytonia!