View Poll Results: Journey to Centauri, better or worst than Ely's books?
Books are better 0 0%
Both are just as good 3 75.00%
I like Journey to Centauri more 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 5, 2002, 07:29   #1
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is Journey to Centauri better?...
...Than three other Michael Ely's SMAC based sci-fi books? Somehow I feel that even though I've enjoyed from each of them(the first two I've read) I think that Journey to Centauri was more impressive piece of work. What do you think?
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old February 6, 2002, 12:01   #2
Control Freak
Settler

Local Time: 15:13
Where can a guy get a look at the Journey to AC fiction? Is there a PDF version for download??
Old February 6, 2002, 12:40   #3
Shai-Hulud
Prince

People just don't know what I'm talking about
Attached Files:
File Type: rtf journey to centauri.rtf (235.1 KB, 16 views)
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
Old February 8, 2002, 10:07   #4
bondetamp
Prince

I didn't get to class today because I sat up all night reading journey to Alpha Centauri.

I hope you feel guilty.
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
-H. L. Mencken
Old February 8, 2002, 10:21   #5
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Then I guess I must blame Firaxis for making such a great game as SMAC because I've missed lessons just because of playing it 24 hours a day

But wasn't that great piece of work? I really like Journey to Centauri, not to say that I don't like the books too, but it's somehow more appealing.

And, nope, I don't feel guilty at all
Old February 8, 2002, 13:23   #6
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 13:13
Michael Ely also wrote the "Journey" sequences

(This was mentioned as one of the criteria used when he won the competition for writing the three novels)

G.
Old February 10, 2002, 06:11   #7
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Yeah, I know. I just think that "Journey to Centauri" was somewhat more interesting.