Old February 6, 2002, 19:18   #1
Ironikinit
Prince

Local Time: 15:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Modern tech discussion
I enjoyed reading and posting to the thread Beelining in the Industrial Age, which is currently working its way up to electronics and MotorTrans. Since the end of the industrial period isn't really earth-shaking (flight and radio are required, advanced flight and amphibious warfare have thus far been clearly nonessential IMO), I began wondering about the modern age.

Personally, computers and rocketry will be early picks. Computers yields a wonder, an improvement (at a time when core areas are usually maxed), and a unit. IMO all good things, and a bit of a no brainer.

Rocketry reveals an important resource. After that I go for ecology and start to clean up a bit. It depends. If pollution was bad enough, ecology might be my first pick.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the dawn of the modern. Who disagrees or has more to add?
Old February 6, 2002, 19:32   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 21:16
I go first for Fission, which reveals a very scarce resource and the UN as important wonder, then Computers (SETI), then Rocketry, then Ecology+Recycling (pollution). The order after those depend on whether I turned of the Spaceship or not.

If I turned it off (mostly I do), I beeline for Stealth, then Smart Weapons, then Robotics, then the rest.

If it's on, I just go for the Spaceship techs one by one and launch it as soon as I have the last discovered. I use to prebuild the parts with ICBM's.
Old February 7, 2002, 10:42   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 16:16
I start with Computers, then go for ecology and recycling. At that point, there are several possibilities.

If I'm playing a scientific civ, I already have rocketry, as that is the free advance. So I can, if I feel the need or desire, go for Synthetic Fibers next and upgrade my Tanks to Modern Armor. If the AI doesn't have replaceable parts yet (I've had this happen a few times now), I'll do it, and probably start picking fights. Fission is clearly next for the UN. Then on to Space Flight and the other SS techs. If I feel I need the production, I will grab nuclear power first.

If I'm not scientific, I will probably go for fission next, followed by rocketry, and then make the choice between Syn. Fibers and Space Flight, or maybe nuclear power.

You get the idea.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 10, 2002, 21:12   #4
Dodgy Geezer
Settler

Local Time: 06:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My picks, regardless of who I play, are always Rocketry, Ecology and Synth Fibres, all for the luverly MA they allow. But then by that stage I am rarely behind in tech, so MA allows me to roll the opposition.

I have *never* researched everything in the Modern age - it is a bit of a puzzle for me that Stealth is available after the ability to send a spaceship to Alpha Centuri. I imagine it will be another 50 to 100 years before we have the technology for Interstellar space travel, especially a *settler* mission. The first moon landing was 33 years ago, and we don't seem to have progressed that much since then in terms of space technology.
Old February 11, 2002, 04:07   #5
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 15:16
Several theories here... the modern age is kind of fun, but it's rather short (especially on easy levels where it's no sweat to launch while your opponents are barely into the industrial age). But there are some strategies you can follow if you want to make the most out of a VERY short time:

THEORY #1 - Instant Win: Theory here is to go straight for Fission and build the UN. If you've been a real player, the game ends here, most likely. If you're like the rest of us, of course, you may have to stall the vote and schmooze, but the idea is the same. End game, modern era barely comes into play. This theory's a crock if diplomatic victory is off, of course.

THEORY #2 - Space Race: Another idea is to get to the space ship ASAP. That means Computers and Rocketry first, then a shot through Eco/Recycling to Synthetic Fibers, and/or a shot to satellites via Space Flight. Then it's just a path to Superconductor and Laser by means of Fission, and a launch. Obviously, this theory won't do you much good if you toggled off the space win - in that case avoid Satellites and Space Flight, as all you'll get are ICBMs.

THEORY #3 - Brutality!: This one's simple enough. Computers, Rocketry, then on to Synth. Fibers and maybe even Stealth. Secure aluminum, build MA, smash everyone like insects. It's the cav rush all over again - even mech infantry has trouble stopping the blitz, and MA can attack multiple times on top of that. Finish off a domination victory, or just smash everyone to obscurity and build towards the ship.

THEORY #4 - Hedging Your Bets: If I reach the modern age fast enough, this is what I do. I suspect this may hold water in MP when it finally comes out, because your capital *will* be annihilated if you're building the spaceship. Plan on it. Humans are not stupid, and they take winning personally. So instead of a straight shot for the techs everyone else is going for, why not start with Computers, then Fission, Nuclear Power (build lotsa nuke plants, wherever you can get them), Laser and Miniaturization (get those Coastal Platforms up...), and on to Robotics. Yes, Robotics. That dead-end tech at the faaaaaaar end of the spectrum. And start building manufacturing plants. Then swing back for Eco/Rec/SF and Rocketry, or trade for it. Your unorthodox research path will still get you spaceship part techs (laser and whatnot), so you don't lose too much ground on that, and nuclear plants with manufacturing plants... well... the results are obscene. Some people mentioned getting ~120 shields/turn with their Iron Works city. You can get that easily in ANY city with a Factory/Manufacturing Plant/Nuke Plant - that's a 150% production boost. You'll have to be savvy about military dealings, but once you DO get MA, you'll be unstoppable - one MA or mech infantry a turn, in half a dozen or more cities, is just not going to be easy to slow down. If for some reason you don't see the game ending soon after entering the modern age, this is a good strat to try. However, until MP the odds of the modern age lasting long at all are VERY slim - so this one's dubious for now.

There are lots of ways to go, but generally speaking you should just figure out how you've been winning the whole time and end things. Research king? Zip to spaceship techs and launch. Dominator? Get MA and seal the fate of your enemies, if any remain. Been playing nice? Get the UN and win before anyone else even gets Recycling. Unfortunately, that's roughly it... if you weren't winning by now, you probably won't win at all.