Old February 8, 2002, 03:21   #31
thinkingamer
Warlord

Local Time: 12:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: thanks everyone
By the way, remember the old day in Civ1? When Computer players sometimes gets a free wonders, at random? Therefore in civ3, the lucky civ who gets the most GL is the civ with most wonders.

Something that civ2 fixed is back....
Old February 8, 2002, 03:27   #32
El_Gallo
Settler

Local Time: 15:17
The AI is vastly improved over C1/2/SMAC. But as far as gameplay, I think it takes some serious steps back from SMAC. Civ 3 also has a very unfinished feel to it.

SMAC remains the best game ever made.
Old February 8, 2002, 03:33   #33
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 20:17
I'm sorry, but I will have to disagree. I just found out how to play the game, and this game really rocks!

It is so much better than Civ 2, I sorry to say that most people have missed the real point, "CIV III is simply better."

For the misguided, I will give you an example.

Everyone complained that the AI CIV's always ask for the territory map and so many Gold Coins, from you, the player.

They may offer their territory map in exchange, or simply demand your map.

After playing my scenario I made, I found this out.

If you gave them what they want, then in the same diplomacy screen, you can usually ask them, (say they are ahead in techs, and the human player is always trying to catch up), what they want for a tech, and usually if will be some small price like 40 gold coins, if they have a tech.

People simply have not played this game, with any real ambition to find out, that this game is "Great".

And I do not have time to play it all that often, because of other work, but this game is nothing like Civ II and CivIII seems to me to be deeper, and better to play with the AI CIV's, just almost like playing another human.

When you have 8 CIV's in close proximity, you will find out how the different AI leaders play.

German's leader will always make a joke -- kind of --

Your a real good boot licker!
Old February 8, 2002, 03:44   #34
Raion
Prince

Also the AI Civ may start a war for a few turns, and ask for Right of Passage in the game.
The main reason is for that CIV to maybe gain a 'Great Leader' so they can build a Wonder faster for their CIV.

If you are not playing the game, then it may just be your fault, not Firaxis.

The game just passed over your Head, I guess!

Too Bad!

No Problemo!

Your a real Boot Licker!
Old February 8, 2002, 08:36   #35
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 21:17
Beside acting high and thinking that you're the one who saw the light and that all others are just stupid ones that just could not understand the game, have you something USEFUL to say ?
(ie, exactly not like my post ?)
Old February 8, 2002, 10:20   #36
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Raion

People simply have not played this game, with any real ambition to find out, that this game is "Great".
That is such an absurd statement! Like you're the only one who's put the game through it's paces. And yes, it's an improvement over CIV II for the most part, but in many ways, it's a step back from SMAC. Even in Test of Time there were some features that makes Civ III look feable in comparison, the editor being the prime example.
Old February 8, 2002, 13:31   #37
Thrawn05
King

Well, I have many great games, so I'll write them down in NO particullar order. Often, I play one of these games for a month or two, then switch.

Civ3
Q3
Rebellion
Total Annihilation
Force Commander
AL|ENS v Predator GE

I can't think of any others at this time. Point being that games are great, but most people IMHO, and I could be wrong, go for the next best thing and drop what they claim was the best.
Old February 8, 2002, 14:06   #38
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 21:17
Best game? Not by a longshot... Save your money and buy something else is my suggestion.

Great games that I own:

Civ TOS
Civ II
Colonization
SMAC/X
Total Anihilation
TA-Kingdoms
C & C Tiberian Sun
Red Alert 2
All the Monkey Island titles
Grim Fandango
Dune 2k
Balls of steel
Tetris, Space Invaders, Arkanoid and several other arcade classics
Old February 8, 2002, 15:47   #39
Calvin Vu
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by thinkingamer
1. Random stuffs that makes this game so unbalanced,
this includes:
-random map (yes im one of those people that think even Aok random maps r extremly unbalanced)
-random GL promotion after a battle (imagine in multiplayer game when ur opponent gets 3 GL and u only get 1 GL through out the entire game; u r lost!)

But after seeing how it turned out my hope for the perfect civ is gone.
I have to agree with this. A non-Civ friend of mine commented about the Civ genre as "it's just a glorified chess game".
But, personally, I don't see anything wrong with being chess-like and the chess game is being played a lot longer than any of the best computer games. Wouldn't Firaxis love it if they had had the copyright to all chess games instead of the Civ genre ?
Some people may claim that chess is boring because you start out with the same pieces at the same positions all the time. No variations, imagine that !! But, that's exactly why people are still playing the game because all variations in the chess games they play are determined by THEM, not a random event determined by some god which interferes and tosses their pieces around arbitrarily.
Borrowing my friend's words, I would say that "Civ 3 is a glorified chess games where all the pieces are tossed on the board at random". If your pieces are tossed in a Civ 3 jungle/desert and no GL arises from the heaven to help you out, you are pretty much check-mated before making your first move. The reverse can happen of course.
Old February 8, 2002, 18:14   #40
Kat_Somm_Faen
Settler

Quote:
2. Cons
Offset unit balancing: bombardment values too weak, espionage too expensive, cavalry too fast, muskets too weak, frigates and explorers pointless, naval units too slow, helicopters range too little and capcity too small, paratroopersrange too small, cruise missiles inadequate. Fortunately this can all be modified in the editor, as can the personalities and type of things civs spend shields on building, such as navy and aircraft!

Some loss of exciting Civ2 non-military improvements: supermarket, superhighways for instance.

Tech advances too slowly, especially if you get stuck in wars. This meant that often you would never reach the near the end of the modern era. This again can be modified in the editor though.
Jambo my fiend, you seem to be refering to some mythical piece of software called "the editor" which can magicaly fix most of the cons you have put forward. How does one go about aquiring one???

Now back to the present, there is no such thing as "the editor" in Civ III so most of these problems CAN'T BE FIXED and if they will ever be fixed is in the future and only as a remote possibility taking into account the past willingness of Firaxis/Infogrames to put the effort in producing a non-beta Civ III.
Old February 8, 2002, 18:48   #41
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kat_Somm_Faen

Jambo my fiend, you seem to be refering to some mythical piece of software called "the editor" which can magicaly fix most of the cons you have put forward. How does one go about aquiring one???

Now back to the present, there is no such thing as "the editor" in Civ III so most of these problems CAN'T BE FIXED and if they will ever be fixed is in the future and only as a remote possibility taking into account the past willingness of Firaxis/Infogrames to put the effort in producing a non-beta Civ III.
Well if you think that the editor doesn't do much, then I guess it's pretty much of a done deal. I admit it has it's limitations, but there's still quite a bit that can be changed with it. And that includes pretty much everything that Jambo has mentioned.
Old February 9, 2002, 22:53   #42
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X
All the Monkey Island titles
Grim Fandango
Dammit, I knew I forgot somthing
Old February 10, 2002, 10:28   #43
Hagbart