Old February 7, 2002, 15:03   #1
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 20:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
More advise needed plz
Hey there, this is for those with a lot of experience with War Wearyness...
I usually experience it in my games, but I am usually the one who declares war.

In my current game America declared war on me about 5 turns ago, and Russia 1 turn ago. It's the Middle ages, I have cathedrals,temples and collesseums (sp?) In all My Important cities. I have 4 luxuries and most cities have marketplaces. I also have the Sistine Chappel . This means in any one city (and they range from size 8-12) I can make about 9 ppl content, and 6 people happy.

What I want to know, how long will i likely be to hold out in the War without having crippling effects??? , I will very likely get the J.S Bach Cathedral in 12 turns btw....
Old February 7, 2002, 17:27   #2
Bilo
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:18
My experience is that the war-weariness increases as you commence battles(and as enemy troops enter your terretory), not as time goes by. Assuming under republic, you should be able to fight at least 30 or so ofensive(the ones in enemy terretory) battles before your citizens start revolting.
Old February 7, 2002, 17:39   #3
Kc7mxo
King

as war wearness gets worse, just up your luxurys. and when it gets uncontrollable, sign a treaty. who ever heard of a twenty year long war anyway.

and before you mention the hundredyears war, think about the fact that it devestated both france and england.
Old February 7, 2002, 18:46   #4
Worthingtons
Prince

Well yes, the hundred years didnt really do much good, but the mighty empire did recover again to be strong.

I've had several hundred year war's in Civ, but not in Republic, anyway, Just build J.S Bach and everyone's happy as larry, so hopefully I'll be ok for a while longer.

Shame i'm losing the war tho
Old February 8, 2002, 00:24   #5
Kc7mxo
King

Well, it didn't hurt england remotely as much as it hurt france, because it was fought in france. cause a gret deal of damage to the countryside there.
Old February 11, 2002, 14:49   #6
Thrawn05
King

Re: More advise needed plz
Quote:
Originally posted by Rothy
Hey there, this is for those with a lot of experience with War Wearyness...
I usually experience it in my games, but I am usually the one who declares war.

In my current game America declared war on me about 5 turns ago, and Russia 1 turn ago. It's the Middle ages, I have cathedrals,temples and collesseums (sp?) In all My Important cities. I have 4 luxuries and most cities have marketplaces. I also have the Sistine Chappel . This means in any one city (and they range from size 8-12) I can make about 9 ppl content, and 6 people happy.

What I want to know, how long will i likely be to hold out in the War without having crippling effects??? , I will very likely get the J.S Bach Cathedral in 12 turns btw....
The only improvments that help war waryness directly is the courthouse and police station.

Make sure you have wonders like the Chapel, and JS Bach. If you get the option to build the playhouse, look for a city that is generaly unhappy, or has a history of revolting. Build the playhouse there.

I suggest not starting the war, rather, irritate them enough that they come to you.
Old February 11, 2002, 17:52   #7
Bilo
Chieftain

Re: Re: More advise needed plz
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
The only improvments that help war waryness directly is the courthouse and police station.
Really? I thought courthouses reduced only corruption, and police stations reduced both war-weariness and corruption...
Old February 11, 2002, 21:21   #8
DFHNY
Settler

war fatigue
Rothy:
Very rarely should you declare war after the ancient era. Because as a Republic or a Democracy it just does not pay.

So assuming you are playing on Monarch level Std Map, then by the time you have maxed out your land area and are bumper to bumper with the other civs, you should have the cavalry. Now just wait a turn or two (with about 12-20 cavs at the ready, more or less) and your friendly civ WILL declare war on you out of fear and lack of places to expand to. Then you go on a defensive war (which the game still hurts you for but what can you do?). Now set luxury slider to 10% and fight back on your terms, i.e. send in the cavalry. Take about 10 cities and the enemy will sue for peace. Rinse, repeat with tanks. Rinse, repeat with modern armor. That is about the size of it. If you have the governor monitoring city hapiness yes he will have to shift some people around to make the cities happy. But if you get Bach's you should be able to wage war as a democracy for some time. The Japanese can be tough because they hold out the longest and razing their cities makes them not want to sign up for peace. But nothing 20 tanks cannot take care of. ALso helps if you bring in the rival civs against them as per mutual protection pact (signed with the best rival civ...of course...whom you will kill later with modern armor if you don't opt for space race). All along you are trading for luxuries with the civs you have MPPs with...

--Daniel
Old February 11, 2002, 21:35   #9
Thrawn05
King

Re: Re: Re: More advise needed plz
Quote:
Originally posted by Bilo

Really? I thought courthouses reduced only corruption, and police stations reduced both war-weariness and corruption...
I'm sorry, I just checked, your right... mybad....... don't hit me!
Old February 11, 2002, 21:49   #10
pchang
King

luxuries and marketplaces
iF you have enough luxuries (was it 4 or 5?), marketplaces will multiply the effects of those luxuries to make even more people happy. This is one of the best ways to fight war weariness since it usually increases your income too. Later, you can replace marketplaces with banks.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old February 11, 2002, 22:31   #11
Ironikinit
Prince

Keep wars as short as possible. That means getting allies and having strike forces prepared, if possible.

Don't declare war. Bait other civs into declaring war by insulting them a bunch of times by offering bad trades while they have a unit in your territory. When they reach furious, tell them to get off your land. They'll declare war and you won't take the weariness or reputation hit. Other ways to bait civs into declaring war is to set up embargos, deliberately reducing your unit count, leaving your borders unprotected, repeatedly trespassing, etc. I know it sounds dumb to reduce your unit count when preparing for war, but if you have a big tech lead, it's not a big deal.

Don't have revolutions during war time, unless it's an emergency switch to communism or monarchy.

Police stations and UniSuff help some, I guess. I build UniSuff out of general principle anyway.

If you're trying to bait a civ into declaring war on your democracy, it's best if you've already been to war with them, as weariness is decreased when fighting ancestral enemies.

Don't be afraid to mobilize or draft if you think it will help you end the war. Of course, drafting will cause unhappiness, but there it is.

And yeah, get those luxuries and keep them coming in. Do your best to keep your trade partners from declaring war, esp. if they supply you with 2 or more luxuries.

All pretty basic and I repeated what others said, but eh.

pchang, luxury effect with markets goes one for the first two, two for luxuries 3 and 4, and so on, IIRC. There's no happiness bonus for banks, only higher income provided your science rate isn't maxed.
Old February 11, 2002, 23:59   #12
WoodchuckKing
Settler

Local Time: 14:18
War weariness also depends on how you start war. If you just precipitate a war by not giving your rivals free techs, you can just go for a surgical war. If you have fast units, try to pillage and prevent lux from reaching their capital. Ditto for strat resources. Oh and keep the enemy out of your territory. People don't like war if it gets near them in a republic even more in dem. One time, the japs attacked a city and got one samurai into my territory. My people were screamin "give peace a chance" My advice is to stick it out, but if they don't come beggin for a treaty, you might have to cut it short. Just make sure that they're hurtin
Old February 12, 2002, 03:41   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Another good tactic to make the AI declare war on you is to sell them heaps and heaps of workers. As workers are included in the military strength calculation, giving an enemy heaps of workers will make the AI think its stronger than you without actually giving the AI much advantage.

Once you start capturing the enemy's cities you will get your workers back anyway.
Old February 12, 2002, 04:36   #14
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:18
Bah.

War-weariness is for weak-kneed wimps, right comrade?

Salve