Old February 9, 2002, 17:02   #31
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 21:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
Wouldn't a translation open up new markets, where they could sell even MORE games?

And the people doing the translation are doing it for FREE?

Sounds like good business to let them keep it going!

But perhaps I am missing something vital... after all, I don't own a big profitable software games company...
Yes, but Infogrames planned (are planning?) to do their own translation and sell the translated version in Germany. AFAIK Civ3 still isn't available in Germany in german.
Old February 9, 2002, 22:59   #32
Goatguy
Settler

Local Time: 15:19
You can actually make a difference...think mods
If anyone here has the Long Winded Changes mod by Plutark here, you know what im talking about...plutark is great!! He has made Civ3 soooo much more enjoyable, by makeing his now legendary mod. He has added 21 techs(some of which are listed in this thread), 20+ units, and a lot more!! If you want to make a difference, make you rown mod and spreadit around.!
Old February 9, 2002, 23:03   #33
Encomium
Warlord

Re: I agree
Quote:
Originally posted by King of Rasslin
There were so many varieties in the tech tree in Civ 2.

The game has become so linear

WE NEED MORE TECHS!!!

But i know they will have to put out an expansion pack to suck in more $$$
Tech tree?

Go to the other site, Civ Fanatics, and to the Completed Mods forum. Download the LWC mod. It solves you dilemma. There are more techs, and more units.

The tech tree is too limiting in Civ III in that we can NOT beeline as we used to.

Here are some other things for Firaxis:

I want to toggle off Cluture Flipping.

I want a cheat mode.

I want a scenario builder.

I want bombers to be able to sink warships.

I want privateers and subs to damage an enemy's trade if they are on his trade routes.

And dozens of other things. But that is for starters.
Old February 10, 2002, 08:48   #34
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
AFAIK Civ3 still isn't available in Germany in german.
According to ads in German PC magazines, the German version of Civ3 will be available at March, 1st.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old February 10, 2002, 13:56   #35
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 22:19
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
that was infogrames and had NOTHING to do with changing game rules or adding units or anything like that...
Basically it is the same. In CTP2 there is no difference if I hack me through a file called Great_Library.txt, gl.txt, wonder.txt, advances.txt, agecitystyle.txt, civ_str.txt, Strings.txt, ldl_str.txt, terrain.txt, wondermovie.txt, civilisation.txt, str_loc.txt, etc...

If I want to add a wonder than I have to add an entry to the Great Library, I have to add the name to the string database. And finally I could change a name of a certain unit, because the name is not correct historically. And I can also change the messages, because I think there are not correct. And again I can replace the entries of the Great Library by other entries, because I think there are wrong or there are bad formulated.

If I think I found an aspect of the game that I don't like and I know how to change that and I have the time and I feel like doing it, than why I shouldn't be allowed to change it if I am able to do it?

The version of Civ3 that is available here right now in Germany is in English language only. That is one aspect that I don't like of this version. You can see it like a rhule if you want to play Civ3 you have to speak English more or less well.

If Infrogrames can sue someone successfully who wants to change one aspect of the game and it is only the language, than I have to presume that they can sue someone successfully, who wants to modify another aspect of the game, like adding more citystyles or a bunch of new goods.

And as companies wants to make money they will do it if such features are in an expansion pack.

-Martin
Old February 10, 2002, 14:40   #36
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
If Infrogrames can sue someone successfully who wants to change one aspect of the game ...
and make it publically available, as Infogrammes was planning to do themselves...
Quote:
and it is only the language, than I have to presume that they can sue someone successfully, who wants to modify another aspect of the game, like adding more citystyles or a bunch of new goods..
.. provising they also intended to release that themselves at a later date.
Old February 10, 2002, 19:08   #37
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 07:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Good to see someone a positive contribution.

After the bugs are fixed, things I would like to see:

* No useless techs. It's so unrewarding to research something like Polytheism or Printing Press, only to find that the only benefit these techs confer is the ability to research something else.

* More techs in the Modern Era. The first three eras have about 22 techs each, but the Modern Era only has 17.

* More variety with Barbarians. I miss the Barbarian ships landing hordes anywhere on your coastline. The current encampment model also only creates single units and huge uprisings with about 20. There should be a greater variety of numbers spawned - small uprisings, etc.
Old February 11, 2002, 05:42   #38
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 22:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
Basically it is the same.
actually, in the end, it's not.

there have been tons of mods, maps, whatever and infogrames hasnt done a thing.
Old February 11, 2002, 06:10   #39
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So... have they chosen the beta testers yet? The ones who may be helping Firaxis AS I WRITE?

Perhaps we should address this thread or some suchlike one to them.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 11, 2002, 10:58   #40
Thrawn05
King

Re: Re: I agree
Quote:
Originally posted by Encomium

Tech tree?

Go to the other site, Civ Fanatics, and to the Completed Mods forum. Download the LWC mod. It solves you dilemma. There are more techs, and more units.

The tech tree is too limiting in Civ III in that we can NOT beeline as we used to.

Here are some other things for Firaxis:

I want to toggle off Cluture Flipping.

I want a cheat mode.

I want a scenario builder.

I want bombers to be able to sink warships.

I want privateers and subs to damage an enemy's trade if they are on his trade routes.

And dozens of other things. But that is for starters.
I'd help if they released the scource code, but its still way too early for that. Perhaps in a couple of years?

#include "iostream.h"
using namespace std;

int main()
{
unsigned short Menu;
cout << "You have destroyed the Romans!\n";
cin >> menu;
switch(menu)
{
default:
cout << "Not an option\n";
break;
case 1:
cout << "Good, they deserved it!\n";
break;
case 2:
cout << "I still think they deserved it!\n";
break;
}

return (1/0); //We want the game to crash!
}