Old February 8, 2002, 19:27   #1
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 20:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Milk & Honey
Part 1: The Day of Infamy

David walked along the beach near Joppa. The sun was shining and the palm trees were swaying in the breeze. He passed under the wire fence that ran across down toward the wet sand. David's walk suddenly became more cautious as he looked around to see if anyone was coming.

When it looked like the coast was clear, he grabbed the nearest coconut tree and started hauling himself up the slender trunk. He was adept at climbing, and he swiftly reached the green leaves high above the ground. This height offered him a great vantage point where he could survey all around him.

Suddenly, he spotted several dark shapes moving across the horizon on the ocean. The blue sea was filled with the fishing boats out just beyond the breakers, but these were too big and moving too fast. They looked like warships. It was unusual to see warships, so he stopped what he was doing to watch them. The Hebrew navy rarely had any of its tall-masted frigates out and about. David also never really bothered to look either.

The ships came within a few miles of the city's harbor and then made a wide turn to put their broadsides toward Joppa. David could see the large white sails of the ships, but the flags were too far away to see. All of a sudden, he heard the distant sound of thunder. Puffs of smoke came from the sides of the ships. His eyes darted to the shore. Small bangs went off nearby. He continued to stare in wide-eyed amazement. A second volley came from the fleet of warships.

"Hey, you! Get down from my tree!" a voice cried below him. "Thief! Thief!"

"They're attacking us!" David cried beginning to slide down the tree.

"What?" the farmer looked out toward the sea. He saw the next series of shots. David saw he had a sharp garden tool of some kind in his hand, and it fell to the floor as the farmer gaped at the attackers. David let go from the trunk and fell squarely on top of the older man.

Without taking another moment of delay, David jumped up and bolted away from the scene. The farmer yelled after him and chased him to the fence. Apparently, he saw that David did not have time to take anything since he didn't bother to pursue any farther. David tore off toward the city of Joppa as fast as his legs could carry him.

After twenty minutes, he came into the downtown of the city. The crowds had gathered around the city hall. The mayor was out on the balcony trying to calm the public. The town's doctor's office was overflowing with wounded people. David saw women and children cut up by shapnel and falling debris. Several of the city's buildings had been toppled by cannon balls smashing into them. There were men with bandages wrapped around their heads, arms, and other injured parts of their bodies.

"Now, people, please! We can't panick!" the mayor pleaded, "We don't even know who's responsible for this..."

"It was the Japanese!" a fisherman screamed, "I saw the flags on the ships. They were Japanese sure as I'm standing here they were!"

"We have to get those lousy Japanese!" another cried.

"That's up for the Confederation to decide," the mayor replied, "Or at the very least the governor of this state!"

"Hell, I don't need for no approval from the bureaucrats in Jerusalem to tell me when I'll fight!" one of the local merchants declared, "My men are injured and my boats are sunk... I'll take names right now for anybody who wants to join the army."

"Now.. you don't have the authority to do that!" cried the mayor.

"But you do, and if you won't do it, I will!"

"Fine! Get your names... if war is declared bring me whoever you've got..." the mayor sighed, "At least that will keep you busy for now!"

"C'mon, men! If you want to fight, give me your names. We shall not stand to be struck by surprise and to have our cities burdened with war!"

The men gathered around the merchant to give their names. David felt a sudden sense of pride for his country that he had never in his life felt before. What harm could it do to join the army? It was better than the life he had... sleeping where he could, stealing what he could, and disappointing his mother in every way possible. May he could impress her and get revenge at the same time. He got on line to give his name.

After a few minutes, the merchant got to him, "What's your name, son?"

"David, sir," David replied.

"David what?"

"Just David."

"Well, just David, are you willing to be a Guardian of the Faith?" the merchant asked.

"Yes, sir!" the young man snapped to attention.

"Calm down... you aren't in the army yet, son."

The merchant directed him to step aside for the next man. David meanwhile began running toward his mother's house. He could tell that in only a few short hours, his whole life had been put down a new course.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old February 9, 2002, 03:09   #2
HOWTIS
Settler

Local Time: 15:21
great begginning! i really like how you set up the character, showing how his life is turned upside down by war.

will you be following him specificly, or just setting up the atmosphere? anyway i'm looking forward to part 2.
Old February 10, 2002, 19:40   #3
Dom Pedro II
King

Thank you for your compliment. Sorry I have not added on, life has been busy lately. I will try to get the next chapter in place as soon as possible.

Yes, the story will follow this character and his rise to prominence. Right now, we have a very small theater, but as he climbs the ladder, the scope will get larger.

I also intend to alter the beginning to flesh it out a bit more.
So keep reading...

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old February 10, 2002, 21:22   #4
Dom Pedro II
King

Note: I have made adjustments to the BIC file for my civ game, and I have created several new governments: National Monarchy (renamed from Monarchy), Classical Republic (renamed from Republic), Federal Republic (renamed from Democracy), Absolute Monarchy (new), Constitutional Monarchy (new), and Confederation (new). The Confederation has communal corruption because in a confederation each state governs itself almost independently, so the corruption is in local terms. The Confederation also cannot allow for Rush Buy because the government is very de-centralized. Also, the central government does not pay for improvements. At the same time, it must bare the burden of ALL unit costs. The result is that it is a government intended for a far-flung civilization looking to make money and that is very peaceful. It's a government with zero tolerance to war.

Part 2: The Confederation Goes to War

The declaration of war from the Confederation of Isreal came shortly after word reached Jerusalem of the attack. Shipyards of the Hebrew province of Babylon were putting frigates of their own into the water, but it was not nearly in the quantity that they should have been, and the Babylonian coast was thousand miles from the Central Sea where the sea battle was being waged.

The Confederation was in a very bad position. They had a substantial army of well-supplied troops with fresh new rifles and several divisions of cavalry troopers that could make a landing on the Japanese coasts and seize Tsingtao or Shanghai. The trouble was any of the rickety, old galleons they would have to be transported on would have been sent to the bottom of the northern part of the sea before the coast would be in sight. The Straits of Tsingtao, which was the body of water needed to be crossed was a very short distance, but the frigates were on the prowl. The Imperial Central Seas Fleet had nearly forty warships out and about in the sea while the Confederation of Isreal. Privateers given writs by the Confederate government went out to battle the Japanese frigates menacing the coastline of Japphia and Joppa, but in the first battle, the Japanese sent the privateers straight to the coral-covered floor.

The real trouble was the Confederate government. It was going into the struggle piecemeal. Most of the Continental provinces contributed in no way to the war effort. Those governors were indifferent to the plight of the island provinces. The coastal provinces of Megiddo and Samaria on the continent, who were equally in danger as the island cities of Tanaach, Japphia, Gezer, and Hazor, made efforts to put frigates and ironclads out into the sea. Still, the central government could not force the shipyards to rush their production. So the Japanese fleet continued unchallenged. The Hebrews could only watch as week after week the frigates brought fiery death to the coastal cities and their countrysides. Hebron island, which held the cities of Tanaach, Japphia, and Gezer was being stripped of every last improvement the island's people had spent decades and even centuries building. Even the vicious Chinese assault had not been so thorough, so devestating.

It was in this environment of defeat that David began his training as a private in the Hebrew Army. His basic training was rather brief since the Hebron government was eager to get the men out into the field.

"So what do you think about news about this news about France and Egypt?" asked his new friend Moses.

"I don't know," David shrugged, "It's just damn good to hear that we've got some allies out there! We'll whip the Japanese first."

"It's a damn mess is what it is," Moses said, "To tell you the truth, I'm not very fond of the Egyptians myself."

"Why's that?" asked David.

"They just bug me," Moses sighed.

"If you boys think that our allies are going to save us, you're fooling yourselves," replied the sergeant.

"Oh yea? How's that, sarge?" asked David.

"You don't know much about politics, do you, boy?" the sergeant laughed, "Look, we've got two allies… two world class allies in fact who are in a world class war with each other. In fact, half the planet is in the middle of their war! Us and Japan have stayed the hell out of it. So this war is kind of ignored compared to the bigger one. The sad fact is that nobody really cares if the isolated civilization of Japan beats on a pack of Jews like us…"

"That stinks!" David said, "So you don't think they'll help us?"

"Lad, we only need one of two things right now. One is a country on our side with a navy right here right now big enough to send Tokugawa's toys back where they came from. The other is a country close enough that to divert the Japanese navy's ships so that we might actually be able to get one of our boats into open water. The bad news is that the only two countries with the big boats, France and Egypt, are a whole world away and may not really care anyway, and the only country close enough to let the Japanese beat on them for a while is…"

"Zululand," Moses said his voice filled with venom.

"But they hate us!" David declared, "If they think Japan can whip us, they'll gladly let them go right ahead and do it…"

The sergeant nodded with a bitter look on his face, "It gets worse… it's seeming like the Zulus might do a bit more than watch. They've been having talks with the Japanese, and they've all but cut off contact with us. I only hope this string of fortresses, the Babylonian Line, holds the suckers if they do get any ideas."

David and Moses looked like all hope had been lost.

Seeing this, the sergeant changed his tone, "But it's not all bad news. The only thing we have left is diplomacy. We paid an arm and a leg for our alliance with France, and we knew Joan wasn't going to help much in terms of ships. What Joan does have is the ear of good ol' Shaka Zulu himself. He's allied with her against Egypt. Now, the Zulus don't care much for us, but they aren't crazy about the Japanese either. Old Joan of Arc may just decide that since she got herself into this war, it may just be cheaper to send her little southern friends the Zulu in to hold up the Japanese while she's busy duking it out with Cleopatra."

The young men turned to each other, and the sergeant continued, "But now, as good as all that is, there's only one thing that's going to save this country. We need a change in our government! If we're going to win this war, we have to get organized! We need to have the military running the shipyards and factories and any other bits of business. We need to have the people working together and doing their part. This is a war of survival! The Japanese are trying to wipe us out! The Chinese tried it, the Babylonians tried it, and we got through. In fact, it was even us and the Japanese who beat the Chinese, and it was us and the Zulus who beat the Babylonians. We wiped both of them out. But we didn't get through because of a bunch of laissez-faire bureaucrats in Jerusalem! We got there by strong kings and big armies, and we can do it again!"

At this point, the sergeant got down off the proverbial stump, "Ok, boys, get back to work."

The sergeant turned around and left the barn where Moses and David were sitting. David picked up his peeler and began slicing off the brown skin of the potato he had been working on.

"Man, I hate peeling potatoes!" David grunted.

"Well, maybe you shouldn't have snuck out and stolen those chickens," Moses shrugged.

David shot him a hostile glance.

"Shut up."

Old February 12, 2002, 00:15   #5
PsionicMind
Settler

Oooh, this is getting good. Keep it up!
Old February 12, 2002, 00:57   #6
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Local Time: 14:21
Is the sarges name Goliath by any chance
Old February 12, 2002, 10:05   #7
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:21
More!
This is a really good read!
Old February 13, 2002, 02:33   #8
Dom Pedro II
King

No, the sarge's name isn't Goliath.

Hey, I'm doing the best I can, I'm not exactly knowledgable of my Hebrew names. I figured the Old Testament would be a good place to look for names. If anybody knows some good ones, give them to me and I'll use them. It's rather sad actually seeing how I was with that Jewish girl and all... Anyway, part III will be coming out very shortly depending on how long it takes me to write it...

Old February 14, 2002, 01:55   #9
Dom Pedro II
King

Part 3: Setbacks

The men were lying in their beds in the barracks. They were contemplating the news they had received only a few minutes before. The Japanese had landed near Japphia. Every man in this barracks would be in combat in less than a week. It had been over a year since the Japanese had launched their surprise attack on Hebron and the Hebrew Confederation, and up until now it had just been a one-sided naval war. David was actually thinking about the five bucks he had lost. There had been a pool going around the barracks as to where the Japanese were going to attack first. He'd put his money on Havor. It made sense, Havor was a tiny little island that was the closest to Japan far down in the far southwestern Central Sea. It was so isolated, that it was all but certain to be Japan's first target. The Japanese already had a base on the island too. It had been there since they last peace treaty was signed, and the Confederation had never been able to kick them out diplomatically.

"So… what do we do now?" one of the soldiers broke the silence.

"We die," a soldier from Tanaach remarked.

"Hey! That's bull, man! We're going to win this fight!" Moses declared, "We've got cavalry and more troops from the mainland in Tanaach. We'll knock the Japs right back into the sea."

"Yeah, right," the Tanaach soldier laughed, "Can't you see? We're already beat. Look at Mount Judea."

"Ah, Mount Judea isn't any sign that we're licked," David said confidently, "It's practically ten thousand miles away way up in the northern hemisphere. It's just a colony. The whole island up there is partitioned. The Zulu have a colony there, the Japanese too, the French have one. The English have a city on the next little speck of an island over from it. The Japanese beat us up there because we didn't have anyone to stop them there. They didn't attack that city with anything more than a few thousand men with swords…"

"But these guys here on Hebron don't have swords, David," the Tanaach soldier said, "They have guns, and they've got horses to go with them. They've also got one important thing we don't… ships."

"They've got us out-weighed at sea, I'll admit that," David nodded, "But we beat them hands down on land on our own turf."

"You're starting to talk like the sergeant," the other chuckled, "How you come to know so much anyhow?"

"Talking to the sarge!" David laughed.
"Does that mean you're a Red too?" asked the Tanaach soldier.

"A Red?" David looked confused.

"Yeah, everybody knows the sergeant is a Red."

"What's a Red?" asked David in total innocence.

The soldier started laughing, "Boy, you really are bloody green, aren't you?"

"I don't get it. First, you call me red. Now, you call me green…"

"No, I mean a Red, a Communist. They're guys who think all men are equal and everybody should have the same amount of money. They also think the government should run everything. There's been a lot of them running around since the war got so bad."

"Well, I guess I'm not one since I didn't even know what they were, but I'll tell you that I've struggled all my life, and I wouldn't mind if everybody was equal."

"Okay! Shut up, all of you!" a voice barked from down the room, "I'm trying to sleep!"

The next morning, the situation had not improved. When the men lined up for roll call in the morning, the sound of the Japanese ships pounding the shore defenses could be heard far off in the distance. A sign of good fortune was that in addition to the sound of the ships' cannon, the guns of the Hebrew coastal fortress was audible as well.

David's brigade was being organized to meet the Japanese invasion force north of the city. The men began their march immediately after breakfast. Supplies were slim, so they were fortunate enough not to be burdened with heavy packs, the price they paid was emptier stomachs and less ammunition. David's new-found sense of nationalism was seriously being checked as he began to realize that he was, in reality, about to walk straight into battle with the enemy. He had never seen combat before, and an all-out invasion of Hebron by the Japanese seemed like a rough way to start.

The sound of war grew ever louder as the men marched on down the dirt road toward Japphia. The sounds of the coastal guns were gun, which meant they had either been blasted to smithereens or had been seized by the Japanese. David assumed the latter. If that were the case, the city was as good as finished. If the enemy troops had been close enough to take out the guns, they would surely be able to march into the city.

"Cavalry!" a scout cried pointing to a high ridge to their left. Sure enough, a few dozen troopers clad in the dark red of the Japanese uniforms sat atop their mounts looking down on them. Several ambitious, young soldiers began firing on the Japanese, but they were out of range. Since both sides could generally see that the other was no threat, they did not move from their positions.

Several minutes passed, and the men were becoming uneasy. The tension was suddenly shattered by a few sharp cracks that were too powerful to be caused by rifles. It was the Hebrew field pieces firing on the Japanese cavalry. Clouds of smoke and debris sprang up, and several of the horses reared up throwing their riders to the ground. Some of the beasts lay dead or dying on the ground as did some of their masters, the rest turned and fled. All along the line, men began cheering, but no sooner did they do this than from being the ridge came an ominous sound. There was the thundering of return fire from the Japanese cannon. Shells rained down to the left and to the right, squarely on a company, or a hundred yards from the whole brigade. The Japanese were shooting blind from behind the hill, so if anything hit, it was all but pure luck.

David watched his brigade's commander, Brigadier General Abraham Canaan, conversing with his staff members. They were pointing toward the grassy hill and indicating directions up to it. David found himself suddenly apprehensive that his superiors intended to send him up that hill to capture the enemy guns. It wasn't the artillery that worried David. Hitting a man with a cannon shell was like killing a mosquito with a sledgehammer. The grass was high, and if they ran fast, they could overrun the guns before they could fire a second shot. The casualties would be minimal if it were only the artillery beyond that hill. The only trouble was that artillery had a nasty habit of having infantry accompanying it. The element of surprise was gone, and the cavalry troopers had surely informed their foot soldier buddies of what kind of force the Hebrews were packing.

Apparently, Brigadier General Canaan decided that aggression was the best course of action and bravely sent his men to sacrifice themselves on what could be a suicidal mission. If he succeeded, the general could be seeing a promotion in the near future. If he failed, the general would be shamed. And David could very well be dead either way.

The company leaders began moving their men out. At first, they started just at a brisk walk in long lines with guns pointed out. Their bayonets were charged and ready. The bright white flag with the blue Star of David fluttered in the breeze as the color bearers marched forward. Shells screamed down behind them as the artillery barrage battered their own field guns. As they approached the top of the hill, the men broke into a sprint. The tall grass whipped in David's face as he came over the top of the hill.

As the brigade charged over the top, the field guns opened up on them. The shells passed overhead, and the men began the rush down the hill to hit the enemy. The Japanese were in force with at least one brigade defending the guns if not more. Suddenly there was the loud shriek as Hebrew guns returned fire. The Japanese lines splintered as the shells blasted men from their positions.

From the grass, the Hebrew troops began shooting at the Japanese soldiers in their positions just behind the guns. David guessed some fool hardy sergeant had probably taken his guns too far ahead of the lines, and now a brigade had to be diverted from some other place in order to secure them from being captured. The Japanese brigade did not have the time to prepare themselves. Clouds of smoke blasted from gun muzzles along the red-clad Japanese lines and from well-hidden Hebrew lines. The companies fired their volley of shots and then continued moving toward the guns. At the last dozen yards, they broke into a full run straight at the field pieces.

The artillery gunners abandoned the guns as they fled away from the charging soldiers. The guns were overran in a matter of seconds. With the men out from the grass, the Japanese began to take shots from their positions. The well-trained Japanese soldiers were clearly good shots, and the Hebrews began falling in droves. The halted Hebrew troops fired frantically at the Japanese lines. They were in a poor position to be forced to make a stand since it afforded them no cover. The advance was blunted by the Japanese soldiers coming up to meet them. The armies collided like two giants waves crashing down on each other. The fight had now turned into bloody hand-to-hand combat. David was now in the middle of this intense furnace of fighting. Bayonets passed through flesh, and men fell and were trampled by the walls of humans moving in both directions.

Some intelligent Japanese commander suddenly gave the order to withdraw. This battle was getting them nowhere, and the Hebrews were slowly taking a numeric lead as the men continued to fall. Also, it was probable that whatever place they had been diverted from needed them far more. The guns were expendable. The Japanese back slowly away from the fight, which must have been difficult. David knew the Japanese were intense warriors that felt put prowess in battle over common sense many times. It was better to lose the war with dignity and glory than to win by being practical and efficient.

The Hebrews continued to pursue the defenders right back down the road until they hit a place where they could position themselves. David took a spot next to a rock and reloaded his rifle. The Japanese were getting away, but their brigade had taken heavy casualties. Right now, David was thinking that the most important thing was that he was alive and healthy whereas a lot of men were not.

The Japanese cavalry troopers who had been watching from the rear of the field snapped their reigns and galloped off into the forest. The exhausted Hebrew soldiers made no effort to follow them. Instead, some of the men with artillery experience were turning the Japanese guns to hit the retreating army a few last punches. From the forest to the west came another volley of gunfire. The troops suddenly feared that the Japanese were back in force.

Horsemen suddenly appeared from the thick trees. David breathed a sigh of relief as he saw a tattered blue and white flag in the hand of the lead horseman. The lead man was at least a colonel, and the whole group looked as though it had been through hell. As they approached, David suddenly recognized the commander as that merchant he had met that day when the Japanese attacked.

"My name is Adam Jericho, I am a Lieutenant-Colonel in the 35th Cavalry," the leader explained to the colonel that had led David's brigade. David now suddenly had a name to go with the face.

"Where are you coming from?" asked the commander.

"Japphia… the city has fallen," Jericho said softly, "I must speak to the general in charge immediately."

"My God!" the commander gasped, "When did the city fall?"

"I literally raced out of the city with my men, and the enemy was close on our heels," Jericho sighed, "We lost them though."

"The city," David suddenly stepped forward, "What did they do to it?"

"Get back, private," the commander put a hand out, "This isn't your business."

"Wait, my boy," Jericho lifted one finger, "I know you… you were there when the surprise attack came when the war started. I remember you. You have family in Japphia, no?"

"Yes, sir," David said, "I'm from there. My family lives there."

"They haven't done anything to the city," explained Jericho, "It's too important to them right now for them to raze the city. They need Japphia more than we do. Let's go talk to this general… what's his name?"

"General Canaan," explained the commander.

"Good," Jericho nodded, "Young man, you come with me. I could use someone who knows something about the lay out of the land. I have a plan that if its successful could turn the tide of the war."

Old February 14, 2002, 01:58   #10
Dom Pedro II
King

Coming soon... Part 4: Our Honor Redeemed

Stay tuned!

(I changed the title of Part 4)

Last edited by Dom Pedro II; February 15, 2002 at 02:09.
Old February 14, 2002, 05:25   #11
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 11:21
Good. Very good. This is a great read. I'm looking forward to the continuation.

Steele
Old February 15, 2002, 02:15   #12
Dom Pedro II
King

Part 4: Our Honor Redeemed

General Canaan sat down in his wooden chair inside his cramped little tent. Canaan was a heavy-set man with a long grayish beard and deep-set eyes. Right now, they passed over the lieutenant-colonel and his young friend in a rather uninterested way.

"Okay, lieutenant-colonel, why don't you tell me what your plan is…" Canaan was a career military officer as David could see, and he did not seem to be a very competent one at that. The Confederation had very little well-trained military men before the war, and they had been forced to scrounge for good ones since it began.

"Well, sir, Japphia has fallen," Jericho reiterated, "This has given us a great opportunity!"

"How's that?" Canaan looked puzzled.

"I was there when Japphia fell… it was only a few short hours ago. The Japanese do not have the necessary man power to hold the city. It was a hard fight to take as much as they did. Now is the time for us to strike back, and I think if we work swiftly we can deal the Japanese navy a devastating blow!" Jericho's words were filled with passion, and he already had David's attention.

"The Japanese Navy?" Canaan sat forward abruptly, "How is recapturing Japphia going to hurt their navy?"

"Simple," Jericho explained, "Up until now, the Japanese have hit us very hard along our coasts, but its still only a fraction of what they could be doing. The trouble is that their frigates sail out to Hebron for a few days and are then forced to turn back for Japan. It's a rather inefficient way to fight a naval war. Our commerce continues to flow to places around the world, and so we are not feeling strangled by their attacks. They made the landing at Japphia so they could have a supply station to hit us even harder. A base in our own land could potentially seal up all trade in the Central Sea. No doubt there are already a few frigates in port at Japphia.

"If we launch a surprise attack on Japphia, most of the sailors will be in the city at the time. After weeks at sea, I can almost guarantee it. If we can reach the docks before the frigates have a chance to pull up anchor and push out for open sea, we can wreck their hopes of ever controlling the Southern Central Sea."

"That's a rather ambitious plan," Canaan sighed, "How do you plan to pull it off?"

"Since General Yonatan's surrender at Japphia, you are now the commander of the Hebrew forces on Hebron, are you not?" asked Jericho.

"Yes, I am," General Canaan nodded.

"The reserve cavalry divisions will be here within the next two days. As I said, I believe we can launch a surprise attack," Jericho went to the map of the territory laid out across the table, "As it stands, Japphia is only very lightly-defended by the invasion troopers. There will surely be infantry moved in to hold the city, but we've already hit their infantry rather hard in the hills around here. Their landing was costly, and we've been punching them steadily since then. Right now, the main body of their army is north of the city here.

"Misdirection is going to be the key to pulling off this offensive. If we position a cavalry division and the remainder of our infantry corps in the north here, we can make it seem like where are attacking their main body. The second cavalry division will go as quickly as possible along a southern route and come up into the city. As far as I know, there are still pockets of resistance on the heights over the city on the southern part. This will work to our advantage since we can put our cannon on the heights and hit their ships from there."

"Sir?" David interjected at this pause, "May I make a suggestion?"

As it turned out, the Japanese ended up helping the Hebrews make their assault. In their arrogance, the Japanese commanders had felt that they would see only the backs of their enemies straight to Tanaach. Glory was once more taking precedence over practicality. They believed the front was moving east, and that the navy could handle Japphia alone. Indeed the front was moving east away from Japphia, but it was also moving north as well. With Jericho's constant prodding, Canaan was netting the Japanese into exactly the web Jericho wanted. The Japanese were being lured away from the city, and Jericho's cavalry combined with the huge reserve division from Tanaach began moving west down south of the city. The Hebrews were retreating from nearly every confrontation in the north, but as long as they did not suffer more casualties than they inflicted, it was not a problem. The retreats were tactical defeats but were part of an overall strategic victory that was slowly maneuvering the Japanese into their trap in what was being called the Five Days Battle. The night of Friday and Saturday during the day had been incredibly damaging to the Hebrew forces who were not supposed to be fighting on the Sabbath. The troops, therefore, only defended themselves rather than took the initiative against the enemy.

Meanwhile, David had been put in charge of his own mission. The small fishing boat drifting silently into the Japphia harbor. On either side of him were high rocks that served as the city's sentinels. They had failed to stop the invaders, but they might keep them from leaving. The exit was only a few hundred yards wide, and the interior opened up from that bottleneck into a large open bay.

David looked across the dark water toward the city. The dim lights from candles in the windows left a long string running across the shore. There was a conspicuous hole in the line, however, where the Jewish temple stood. The Japanese had no doubt shut it down since the occupation began. The fishing boat drew closer, and the dark shapes of the tall frigates emerged from the darkness. In the docks, there were at least nine ships by now. Another three were somewhere out in the bay according to the fishermen's' reports.

"Are we ready?" asked David looking to the other men aboard the boat.

One of the fishermen drew a bottle from a crate. The liquor bottle had a rag stuffed in the top. He handed the bottle to David along with the lantern with its flame turned all the way down. The men rowed the boat now to the stern of one of the middle frigates. David opened the lantern and let the rag catch the flame. His face was suddenly illuminated by the orange fire. In the distance, the emergency bell started to ring.

"The colonel must have started the attack!" one of the fishermen whispered.

At that, David heaved the Malakoff cocktail up onto the deck of the big boat. It burst and the result was an instant inferno. The dried wooden planks went up like kindling. David heard the shouts from the ship's crew that had not gone on shore. They frantically tried to put out the flames, but it would do little good.

Back toward the bottleneck of the bay, the next phase of the attack was beginning. More old fishing boats were being massed around the entrance of the harbor. The fishermen piled one on top of the other until they stretched the whole length of the entrance. They now served as a chain spreading fully across.

Bullets suddenly whizzed by David's head as soldiers on the docks opened fire. The fishermen were rowing them out of there as fast as possible now. David suddenly felt a sharp pain in his shoulder like a burning iron had been put to it. He had been hit by a bullet, and he immediately collapsed on the bottom of the boat. Anyone with a free set of hands came to help him, but there was little that could be done right now.

David now watched as the frigate was burned like a torch still sitting at its dock. The rolled-up sails bright intensely in the black night and bits of fiery debris danced in the sea breeze. Sparks spiraled out from the blaze and were extinguished by the cool of the night. A mast suddenly cracked and splintered as the fire ate through it, and it fell on top of the deck. In a few more minutes, there would barely be ashes left of this boat.

Meanwhile, the soldiers had given up trying to shoot them since they obviously had more important concerns. Japanese cavalry troopers dashed along the bayside streets toward the southern end of town. The fishing boat was inching its way closer toward the barricade with each passing stroke of the ores. One of the smaller Japanese war vessels patrolling the harbor was now on their trail. It would catch up to them in just a few minutes if that much and when it did, it would not even have to fire a shot. Simply ramming them would send them to the bottom of the bay.

David braced himself as the Japanese corvette closed on them. Suddenly a high-pitch scream cut through the sounds of lapping waves, splashing paddles, and rolling hulls. A cannon ball clipped the bow of the corvette sending the ship's figurehead into the water in little painted splinters. The next shell fell far short, but the corvette was already breaking off the pursuit.

David's eyes looked to the high cliffs south of the city. Another bright flash and plume of smoke appeared on the heights. "God bless our guardian angels!" he whispered.

By this point, the first of the Hebrew horsemen had reached the docks. The Japanese sailors were making their way to their respective boats, but many of them were still largely unaccounted for. The horsemen did not even give them the opportunity to get back aboard. They shot men where they stood and then one, two, three four ships were put to torch. None of them burned up as quickly as that first one had, but they were not leaving either.

Suddenly, another ship, a frigate emerged from the darkness of the bay. It was heading toward David's boat, but it was not after him. It was going to toward the bottleneck. The ship's captain was trying to escape with his boat.

"Give the order," David told the captain of his own little boat.

A boy aboard the bought climbed onto the thatched roof and put the lantern on top of a pole. The light from it was dim, but it was good enough. One by one, the lone men on each boat starting from the far end set his boat on fire and leapt into the next boat. The fishermen would never destroy their own boats. These were old scrapped vessels that would just have rotted away anyway. Now, they could do some real good. In just under a minute, the barricade had become a wall of flames.

This captain, however, was a stubborn one. He thought he would be able to charge the blockade, and he did. Not surprisingly, the frigate blasted through the flimsy fishing boats. Unfortunately for the captain and his crew, the nebulous burst of sparks he set loose caught onto his sails. The flaming hulls also clung the side of his boat setting the wooden planks ablaze. The great white sails were engulfed in flames in a matter of moments.

David watched the great lumbering wooden beast crawling away. She was doomed, but she went on in spite of it. The main mast collapsed pulling the entire sail structure down with it. The ship was now going into its death throws. The flames were extinguished by the sea water, but the boat was doomed. Men leapt into the water to escape going down with the ship. The weight of the masts dragged one side of the frigate down until it dipped under the waves. Water rushed into her bowls and flooded the lower decks. Her buoyancy was gone, and now she was just a sinking stone.

All of Japphia harbor was in turmoil. The munitions aboard one of the frigates had just blown the ship sky high. Flaming debris was raining down on the other ships and the city itself. No ship had been spared some sort of damage. The cannon atop the heights had continued pounding away. The corvette had been unfortunate enough to catch one of the wild shells in the belly. She capsized quickly. Meanwhile, the Hebrew army was pushing the Japanese literally into the water. The last of the Japanese troopers surrendered immediately. David's comrades aboard their small boats cheered as their invaders were defeated.

And David, feeling the pain fading away, drifted off into his own darkness.

To be continued...

Old February 15, 2002, 03:04   #13
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 11:21
This is getting more interesting. Don't leave us hanging....

I suppose I do that too...

Steele
Old February 18, 2002, 20:06   #14
Dom Pedro II
King

Hey, sorry for the delay in the next edition of the story, but my computer sort of crapped out on me.

It was an incident involving a surprise German invasion of my latest English empire, a cup of hot chocolate, and my fist....

But I'm really not joking! I've now turned my laptop into a $2000 paper weight.

But I'm on the other computer right now, and hopefully, I will have Part 5 out soon.

Old February 19, 2002, 17:25   #15
Dom Pedro II
King

Good news! The laptop is alright! And Part 5 is on her way...

Old February 19, 2002, 18:09   #16
Dom Pedro II
King

Part 5: The Alliance Fights Back

In the drab little bar, as in most other places in Japphia, the flag of Israel hung from the walls. This little pub was in the Joppa section of the city. Joppa was the municipality where the Japanese had made their assault. It was not to be confused with the city of Joppa, which was located on the mainland and facing out on the Tranquility Ocean. Leiutenent-Colonel Jericho and Sergeant David sat together in the bar relishing the taste of victory.

"Well, the Japanese have been kicked off our soil! The army has swept up the last of them," Jericho laughed.

"Except in Havor," reminded David.

"Ah, it's a few regiments on a hill. If they try to attack the city, they will be destroyed. It's one of the most heavily-defended cities in the Confederation."

"True."

"But don't get me wrong, boy!" declared Jericho, "I'm not saying this war is over. No. Far from it. We have to do more than just sign a peace treaty with Japan. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if the fat cats back in Jerusalem signed a peace treaty with them tomorrow! No, we have to hit them back and hit them hard. What they did was criminal and they must pay for their crime in blood and territory. Personally, I'd like to see the whole damn continent wiped out! But if we could just take back all of China's former territory in this war, that would be enough for me."

"Do you really think that can be done?" asked David.

"Not the way things are going now!" declared Jericho, "We've got allies who haven't done anything by this point, we have a government that won't commit us fully to the war effort, and we have a potentially hostile neighbor to our immediate north. We need to deal with all of these issues before total victory can be achieved. But that means not throwing in the towel when we get our first shot at the upper hand."

"Too bad General Canaan's going to get credit for the Japphia campaign, or else you might have been promoted or even better."

"Well, he thinks he's going to get credit for this, but he's got another thing coming. Canaan's a local big wig, but I've got better connections on the mainland. I made sure that one of my ships was already on its way when Japphia fell to explain exactly whose idea it had been. I expect I will be promoted. Then I might be in a position to tell these bureaucrats how they should be running things in a time of war!"

"How is it, sir, that you have so many of these connections?" asked David.

"Well, I was in the mining business for some time in Bethlehem. I got involved with the Bethlehem Gem Mining Company out in the mountains. Naturally, the kind of wealth that gives you makes you a target for politicians looking for campaign funding. After a few years of that, I decided it was more profitable to go into trading. Being a prospector is lucrative provided you buy the right land with a strong vein. If you make a mistake, you funnel money straight into that hole in the ground. That's why I turned to trade. There's more money for less risk… well, that is if your country doesn't go to war with the world's most powerful naval nation."

David nodded but did not make further comment.

"Yes, so in answer to the question you haven't asked me, I'm fighting this war because its my money being lost from the loss of trade. Well, that and my desire to see them punished for attacking us. You know, I was even involved in trade with the Japanese. I had my hand in the Silk trade in Japan. I tell you, boy, if mining gems is profitable, trading silk is like free money! I suppose that's my other reason for wanting to invade Japanese-held China. Silks, and Spice, and everything nice!"

"I see," David replied.

"But we need to get our priorities straight at home!" Jericho became serious again.

Suddenly, somebody burst in through the door. "Look at this!" the man cried holding up a newspaper, "The Egyptians are coming!"

"What?" David jumped to his feet.

"Says right here," the man explained, "The Egyptian fleet arrived in Samaria today! Ten of their finest warships! They'll be leaving tomorrow to begin clearing the stretch of see between Hebron and the mainland!"

"Thank God!" David laughed, "Thank God!"

"It's a miracle," Jericho sighed, "I never thought we'd see a single dingy from the Egyptian Navy… It's still only a good start. We can't be satisfied with just this."

"Nevertheless," David said, "The tide is beginning to turn."

"No," Jericho shook his head, "The tide will turn when it is our own ships bombarding the Japanese coast."

As if to underscore his point, the coastal fortress began thundering. Since the city had fallen, unsuspecting Japanese frigates had continued getting too close to shore thinking Japphia was in friendly hands. An addition five ships had been destroyed from that rouse.

Now, with the Egyptians in the waters, the Japanese might beginning pulling back. At the very least, he knew the Japanese were unlikely to attempt any new invasions. It was too risky to send a rickety, old wooden transport ship like a galleon out with an enemy fleet in the area. Still, Samaria was a good distance from where the fleet needed to be. Somehow David was certain that this was the beginning of something glorious.

To be continued...

Old February 19, 2002, 22:19   #17
HOWTIS
Settler

ur story is progressing nicly. i havn't replied to all your stories but i have read them all, and enjoy them all.

for some reason i especially liked the "Empire of the Rising Sun" one.
Old February 26, 2002, 19:57   #18
Dom Pedro II
King

Part 6: Leaving for Jerusalem

For a few months, the people of Isreal were overwhelmed with joy by the arrival of the Egyptian navy. The Japanese were turned back from Mount Judea and General Ezekiel was mounting a counter-offensive in the far northern island. Relations between Zululand and France were edging closer and closer to an alliance against Japan, and the Treaty of Orleans ended the war between France and Egypt. Still, the effect of the Egyptian allies in the Central Sea wore off soon. The fleet of a combined total of twenty ships was no match against the Japanese fleet of over five hundred Yamato and Izumo class frigates. At the Battle of the Gezer Straits, the Japanese navy was forced back, but the overall naval war was to be decided by shear numbers. The Egyptian navy was scrapped in a few weeks, and the only surviving Ra class vessels limped back to Egypt.

This was still a time of personal victory for Jericho who was promoted to Brigadier General. David continued to serve as Jericho's assistant, which brought him a certain level of prestige on Hebron. Jericho was also beginning preparations for a trip to Jerusalem since one plus of the Egyptian presence was that it had delayed any possibility of another invasion. He intended to bring his arguments directly before the Hebrew Confederation Congress.

The pair took the last surviving rail line from Japphia to Tanaach. From there, they were taken aboard a small transport clipper. It would have been faster to take a steamer, but since the war began, they were far too obvious targets. Their smoke columns could be seen for miles, and it attracted Japanese warships in the area.

The vessel took them across the small channel separating Hebron from the mainland, and they docked on the peninsular port city of Amman-Israel. The once bustling seaport was now on a shadow of its former self. Men walked along the docks without purpose kicking bits of paper and the occasionally tin can. People slept outside in the streets having been turned out from their homes because they had no more jobs to pay their rent.

Once they moved away from the waterfront in the horse-driven carriage, the city became a beautiful place. The first area they passed was the Old City. These were narrow, winding streets with old, tightly-packed houses. After a mile or so, they came into the new city. One of the last few governors had begun a massive construction project tearing down old houses and buildings and straightening out the roads and expanding many of the streets into broad avenues. It was here that the street market could be found.

"Wow! This is amazing!" David said.

"You've never been to the mainland?" asked General Jericho.

"No, sir," replied David.

"It's a nice place…" Jericho nodded, "But wait until you see Jerusalem."

They soon arrived at the large Amman-Israel train station. It was a brand new building since the railroad had only just reached the city. The building was an imposing brick structure. Unlike most of the city, it lacked any ornate design. It seemed to be strictly utilitarian. The inside was a bit nicer with high ceilings decorated with beautiful light fixtures and carvings along the lining.

The two soldiers got on their train to Jerusalem just after lunchtime. The new, mechanical beast flew along its steel tracks through the countryside at an ungodly speed of twenty-five miles an hour. David slept most of the way to Gaza, but Jericho sat reading The Concise History of Israel. It told about Solomon III's war against the Babylonians when they attacked taking advantage of Israel's weakness since it was fighting its first war with Japan then. Babylon soon realized its mistake, however. An army of Guardians of the Faiths rampaged into Akkad and then went north past Mount Sinai and took out the rest of Babylon. Meanwhile, the Zulu took Ninevah and the other Babylonian cities in the north. It was a good read.

The following day, the train pulled into Jerusalem. The city was an entirely different experience from Amman-Israel. There were no docks or waterfront. There was a river, but instead of an impoverished area, the river was thriving. Yes, internal commerce was still running strong through Israel. The train station of Jerusalem was the very symbol of decadence. It had grand statues, fountains, chandeliers, and ornate carvings on the wall. The travelers who passed through it could see the might of Jerusalem.

The city showed much of the same grandeur. It had the broad avenues, lavish architecture, beautiful city parks, and great sites one would expect to see in a world capital. Much of the work had been done by the great line of monarchs that had come before the Confederation, but the district governor had done much to beautify the city further.

General Jericho and David checked into one of the many hotels in town. The government was footing the bill for their stay, but David felt his room could have been better. The general, of course, received the nicer of the two suites. David went to bed early since the following day would be an important one.

Old February 26, 2002, 20:02   #19
Dom Pedro II
King

Part 7: The Council of Fools

The Congress convened the following day at the Capitol building. The general and his assistant were there bright and early. When the most pressing business had been pushed aside, General Jericho was ushered in. He was dressed in his finest military uniform, and his presence was commanding. He walked straight in and took his place at the podium.

"General Jericho," the old, enfeebled Speaker turned to him, "Why have you come before this Congressional assembly?"

"I have come before this Congress to report the dismal state of affairs regarding the war," Jericho began.
"Dismal state of affairs?" the Speaker raised an eyebrow, "General, it would seem that the war is going well for us."

"In the comfort of Jerusalem that may seem to be true," Jericho said coldly, "But on the coasts, it is unlikely that they could claim the same."

"General," the Speaker pushed aside the slight, "We have seen victory on every single front thus far… We pushed them out of Mount Judea, you yourself were instrumental in pushing them from Japphia, and the Egyptians have dealt them a harsh blow in the Central Sea…"

"We have been able to survive, yes," Jericho nodded, "But that is all."

"We have survived, and the Japanese know it," the Speaker declared, "Our diplomats have been talking with the Japanese ambassador, and it would seem he is giving indications of wanting to make peace."

"And what will we have won?" asked Jericho, "We are peaceful people, but will justice have been done with a peace of the antebellum world? They launched a surprise attack on us. They killed civilians. They blasted our fertile lands in Hebron to ground-up dirt. They invaded our home! How many of their cities have been burned? How many of their provinces have we captured? What new trade routes have been opened from this war? Where is the justice if they do not pay somehow for their crimes!"

"Sir, your overzealous nature is dangerous to this republic," the Speaker shook his head.

"And your apathy is fatal to Hebron and the rest of Israel!" thundered Jericho. At this, a flood of whispers passed through the room.

"General, are you trying to imply that this government does not care about this war?" the Speaker squinted his eyes in an accusing manner.

"That's exactly what I'm saying!" declared Jericho, "Why should Jerusalem, or Akkad, or Babylon, or Bethlehem, or any of the internal provinces care what happens in this war? You don't care because it doesn't affect you! You'd give away half the island provinces to Japan if you thought it could line your pockets with a little more Silk money or keep the trade lines open permanently."

"You're entirely out of line!" cried the Speaker.

"No, sir! I am not! As a general in this army, but more importantly as a citizen of Hebron, I have every right to tell you that you have turned your back on us and that a government who will not help its people is no government at all!

"If you want the overseas trade routes to be secure, build us a navy! We are being beaten because you have not even committed all of the resources this great nation has to the war. You have not demanded our superior industry to turn to producing warships. You have not put the proper pressure on the capitalists in the ship-building industry to put those ships into the water! Build us a navy! And with that navy we can take the war to Japan! We can still have our justice and make profit from it! But if you sign a peace treaty because you don't care to get your hands dirty, you're selling out our whole entire country!"

There was a long pause. Jericho looked around at the hundred or so representatives from the various states of Israel. He saw some faces who looked to be supportive. They came from Hebron, Samaria, Megiddo, Anyang, Umtata, and Havor. The others were all hostile, and unfortunately, they were in the majority.

"I think you fail to understand how business is done here, General Jericho," the Speaker calmed himself and spoke very clearly and distinctly, "You cannot simply come in here and expect to have a whole new set of rules by sundown. A Senator must bring a bill to the floor asking for an allotment of a certain amount of money for the purposes of the war, and then we must vote on it… but this pressure you suggest we put upon the industrialists… we simply do not have the power to do that. This government acts under the policy of laissez-faire, and we have no intention of changing that policy."

"If this government will not do what is necessary for its people, then I will look elsewhere!" Jericho turned and walked out of the room.

Jericho and David immediately left the building. David tagged close behind his leader.

"Where are we going now?" asked David.

"We are going to the last man who can help us," General Jericho sighed, "The President."

Jericho was in no mood to wait for tomorrow, and so later in the day, the two men went to the Executive Mansion where the President resided. It had originally served as the palace for the kings and queens of ancient Israel. Only a portion of the complex was actually lived in anymore. The rest was a museum, and one quarter was an office compound for the Confederal government.

A large iron gate surrounded the palace, but the security was light at best. The general was immediately taken in to see President Tobias Emmanuel. It appeared to David that this man Jericho had political pull even if he could not sway the entire Congress to accept new unorthodox methods of business. The President was in a meeting, but it was not long before he called the general and his assistant into his office.

"Hello, general," he rose and shook the hand of the military leader. "And you are?"

"Sergeant David."

"David… well, its nice to meet you," he took his seat behind the next, "What can I do for you gentlemen?"

"I am here to talk about this war, sir," Jericho said, "We just came from the Congress, and they refuse to budge on this."

"Well, what exactly is your complaint?" President Emmanuel asked.

"I have been sending letters to the Ministry of War for months with almost no reply," said Jericho, "I have demanded more ships. We get none. I have insisted upon forcing the industries to begin production of war materials and ships, and nothing has been done! The central provinces are contributing almost nothing, and Hebron is left to do all of the logistical work. What harbors and shipyards the islands have left cannot possibly produce the ships we need in the time we need them!"

"General, this government is fully committed to the war effort," Emmanuel sighed, "I can assure you of that. We here in Jerusalem are very sympathetic to the plight of the rest of the nation, but our abilities are limited. I don't think you realize the complexity of the issue. We simply do not have the backing needed to begin making policy along the lines your talking about. The Socialists in this country are in short supply, and what your talking about… it… it would be revolution! No, the government that governs best governs least."

"Sir, as long as this government continues to be unwilling to invest the time and money… the provinces' time and money, the industrialists' time and money, and the peoples' time and money from all over Israel, we are going to lose this war!" General Jericho was firm but not demanding.

"I think you're being rather negative, general," replied Emmanuel, "Why I even have here in front of me a report from our embassy in Tokyo that diplomats have been talking to the Japanese. They may be willing to settle this, no small thanks to you I might add! I say enjoy this moment of glory… don't trouble yourself with politics when a conclusion to this war is almost within our grasp. It's a very delicate diplomatic situation, if we start to build a massive navy for a counter-offensive, it may encourage the Japanese to go on fighting."

"Oh? And what happens if the Japanese are only stalling us while they prepare another invasion? What would there be to stop them? The Egyptian fleet is gone, and we have not seen hide nor hair of the French! Furthermore, the Zulu still have not entered the war on our behalf. Even if the Japanese are willing to sign a treaty, our allies will not be pleased that we made a separate peace. As a peaceful country, diplomatic alienation would kill us!"

"Well, the Japanese may still be strong in the Central Sea, but the number of ships here has dramatically. The reason is that they have been fighting the French Navy for months out in the Mars Ocean. You may not have seen it, but the enemy is already being bombarded on his own shores and his island possessions are in perpetual danger of being captured. If Japan wants peace, we will naturally talk to our allies first and try to hold a Congress to settle the terms of the peace. Please, do not talk diplomacy to me, sir… you are the general. Keep to war. It is what you excel at."

"I see that no one is willing to hear me out on this," General Jericho rose, "Well, I thank you for your time, sir… I shall return to Hebron and await the next Japanese offensive."

"I'm sorry I can't do more for you, general," President Emmanuel said in a strictly sunny political voice.

"I'm sorry too," Jericho shook his head and walked out.

David did not speak as the general walked silently from the office. He only continued in his tracks. "Fools!" Jericho finally said, "These damned Council of Fools and their glorious lead idiot are going to get this whole country dismantled piece by piece!"

"I'm sorry, sir…" David said.

"General!" a voice called from down an intersecting hall.

A young, handsome gentleman came up to him. He was dressed in a fine suit. "General, my name is Elijah Tischler."

"Senator… Elijah Tischler? From Hebron?"

"The one and the same," Tischler replied, "You really should have stayed for today's proceedings. I brought a bill to the floor advocating the allocation of fifteen million for the construction of warships. I even had a few Samaria and Megiddo industrialists and ship builders come in. They'd love to have that money…"

"And? What happened?" asked the general with a tone devoid of hope.

"Rejected. Only the coastal and island provinces voted in favor," replied Tischler.

"I figured it would be. Well, what can I do for you?" Jericho knew there was a reason besides a simple explanation of the day's events."

"Please, let's go for a walk," the Senator directed out the door. Nothing further was said until they were beyond the iron gates.

"We would like to bring a proposition to you," explained Tischler.

"We? What sort of proposition?" asked Jericho suspiciously.

"As you know, sir, since the war started, the political orientation of Hebron has swung dramatically from right to left. My party has completely control over the island, and the island and city governments certainly reflect that, but the Party has almost no authority in the Confederation. Furthermore, the Confederation stands as a polar opposite to our political beliefs, and many of us would like to see it shelved all together. Unfortunately, we can't do it without the support of the military. That's where you come in. Together we can bring about a new centralized government who can do some real good! Tell me, general, have you ever heard of a man named Karl Marx?"

"I have," General Jericho smiled, "Indeed, I have."

To be continued...

Last edited by Dom Pedro II; February 27, 2002 at 16:53.
Old March 1, 2002, 17:19   #20
Dom Pedro II
King

Part 8: Red Star Rising

"I don't like it," General Yerik Herzhaft said rubbing his thumb and forefinger nervously.

"Come now, Yerik," Adam Jericho said, "You must see how important this is."

"I know, Adam," Yerik replied, "But overthrowing the government? It's… it's just not good. It's not smart."

"Yerik, you know as well as I do that this war is lost if we do not make some changes in the way we fight," Jericho said.

"Yes, but this war will be over shortly according to the Foreign Ministry," Herzhaft said.

"It may not be a decisive defeat, and the flag of the Rising Sun may not be waving over Jerusalem, but it will be a defeat," Jericho explained, "If we focus our industry on putting out warships, we can bring the war to Japan! But this government cannot and will not do that. At best, we march on Jerusalem and dictate terms to those bureaucrats, and at worst, we align ourselves with the Communist Party."

"Why must we befriend the Reds?" asked Herzhaft, "There are other alternatives. We could put a king back on the throne…"

"No, the people will never accept a king," Jericho shook his head.

"But they will accept a military dictatorship… and one dressed in the garb of Communism at that?" Herzhaft scoffed.

"The people will follow if we give them the incentive," David suddenly interjected at this point, "The Confederation has denied the people social and political reform. There is no old age pension or government welfare like in other countries… meanwhile, people are starving in the streets because no one is there to help them. The dictatorship will only be temporary until the threat is over."

"Adam, your protégé here is passionate, but he's also very naïve," Herzhaft breathed with a huff, "Boy, let me explain something to you. When people come to power, they don't usually let it go. Not without a fight."

"Yerik, we have no other choice," Jericho explained, "If we don't do anything, the Congress will make a peace giving Japan any concession they demand. If that happens, our allies will turn their backs on us. Zululand has already been considering whether or not to join the Japanese. If they see us fold, they will see us as weak and take advantage of our defeat. Worst yet, Japan will be able to renew war with us whenever they please! No, I can't let that happen!"

"Adam, I understand where you're coming from, but I still have to say no. What would inciting a civil war do to our chances of victory then? The Japanese would most certainly exploit that weakness."

"I understand that you're apprehensive. You're a patriot, it doesn't please you to think of doing such a thing. You'll be more of a patriot if you stand by your guns rather than your principles," Jericho said very calmly trying to finesse Herzhaft. He now took a new approach, "You will most assuredly be compensated for your service to your country. Perhaps that might ease your mind…"

"Oh, the money will help me sleep at night!" Herzhaft chuckled, "I will not argue that my cooperation can bought, but my practicality cannot be suspended at any price. I understand what you're trying to do, and I think it's the best thing for Israel, but somehow I think we'll be more likely to find ourselves swinging at the end of a rope for trying it."

"You think it will fail?" asked Jericho, "Is that the only thing?"

"Look…" Herzhaft pushed a finger against the table to emphasize his point, "Right now, you've got some of the army behind you. That's a good start, but the rest of the brass won't jump on board until their certain. If you bring me somebody in this with real muscle… and I mean the kind that comes on paper not the kind that comes out of the muzzle of a rifle, I and the rest of the army will back you."

Rabbi Asa Zahavah took a seat behind his desk. He was an elderly gentleman with a long gray beard and the usual dress for a man of his position. His look now was one of deep concentration. Jericho knew he was right to come to this man. He was shrewd, and he was perhaps more worldly than a man of faith should have been. Still, the Faith's interests were his interests, and if he thought a cause were profitable, he would back it.

"General," Zahavah said, "I don't know if I can really help you. I don't really see how it is in the interest of the Faith to help you…"

"What is in the interest of Israel is in the interest of Judaism!" declared Jericho in a non-threatening way.

"I fail to see how a Communist revolution serves either," sighed Zahavah, "Do not take me for an ignorant man, general! I know these Reds demand a world without god and seek to destroy all religion."

"It is not a Communist revolution," explained Jericho, "It's a Socialist revolution. It is a coalition force spearheaded by the military. The Communists are essential to the support of the islands, but it us who shall be dictating the terms of the provisional government. We have the army poised and ready. Join us, and you will be greatly rewarded. Think of it… a National Church of Israel. Not just a group of rabbis, religious intellectuals, and individual synagogues. No, an organized hierarchy."

"And a puppet of the State," Zahavah remarked cynically.

"It won't be if it's headed by the right man," explained Jericho, "And I think you would be that man."

"General, I have learned important concept over the years: Never accept a deal from a dead man," the rabbi did not hide behind euphemisms.

"I already have the full backing of the army," Jericho continued, "The military brass is entirely in cooperation with the coup. Even General Herzhaft is fully backing the move."

"Really? Interesting."

"Look, in the last revolution, the rabbis backed the king, the head of the Church, and the republicans won. I'm giving you an opportunity to back the winning side this time. Regardless of what you do or say now, the revolution will come and the Congress is going to be overthrown."

"And what do you think will happen then?" asked Rabbi Zahavah, "Let me tell you… the separate states will refuse to recognize your provisional government, and they will act entirely independently. You will have to march into every state capital and topple their governments one by one. There will be nothing but anarchy, and the Zulus and Japanese will exploit the opportunity and wipe us out!"

"Maybe," Jericho nodded, "That is why we need a uniting force behind us… that is where you come in. If the rabbis all back the revolution, the people will follow. The governors will be forced to accept the control of the new dictatorship. You will get your National Church, we will get the navy we need to beat the ships we need to crush the Japanese, and the Communists will get a few social programs to appease them taking the wind out of their political sails and they will collapse. The only ones who are losing are those bureaucrats of other parties in the Congress right now and the bourgeois. And the capitalists will be fine, as you know. They make money no matter what happens. Even if you and I are making two hundred dollars from taking control of their businesses, you know they're making three hundred…"

Jericho knew he had hit a chord. The bourgeois had been the dynamic force behind the creation of the Confederation. The liberal tide had turned against the king, mercantilism, the landed gentry, and the established religion. Titles of privilege became worthless, and the capitalist economy had replaced. Even a century later, the rabbis still opposed the transition.

"And what happens when war with Japan is over and it comes time to get rid of the dictatorship?" asked Zahavah.

"Well, a new constitution for a Federal States of Israel will be drawn up and free elections will be restored. We cannot allow this atrocity of a Confederation to be returned, but we must maintain the principles of democracy and liberalized trade."

"General, it has traditionally been the policy of the church to maintain a conservative stance even if the conservative side was the radical one a century ago…" the rabbi explained, "I see no reason to support a revolution even if it will restore an authoritarian government. No, no matter what you do, this war will be over in a few months, and stability will return to this part of the world. Your new government will be pointless and the coalition will collapse."

Jericho did not show any indication of having been defeated. Now, he decided to play his trump card. He suddenly appeared as though some terrible thought had just come to him, "I assume, sir, that you have received the reports from Hebron… when the Japanese invaded. I was there myself. I saw it with my own eyes. The Japanese have no respect for our faith, and they hate conquered peoples. They tortured and mutilated people simply for being Jewish. They burned the synagogue, and they killed the city's leading rabbi…"

"Yes, I know all about this."

"They did the same at Mount Judea. Only Mount Judea could not be saved fast enough. Thousands were slaughtered in the far north. We at least liberated Japphia early enough… Please, if you consider yourself a religious man, help us get justice for this… this genocide! We must make sure that this never happens again."

Zahavah bowed his head. The room was quiet for almost a full minute before he rose his head to speak again, "If the army can seize power in the district of Jerusalem, the rabbis will back the coup. Now, go."

General Jericho and David, who had remained entirely silent throughout the conversation, got up to leave. Only once they were outside in the street again did David decide to speak.

"You certainly have a way with people," David commented resignedly.

"I suppose you could say that," Jericho nodded.

"You also seem to have made a lot of compromises," David said with a hint of disappointment.

"It's necessary sometimes," Jericho explained, "This is certainly a coalition of strange bed fellows."

"So we aren't setting up a Communist State?" asked David softly.
"Not in a sense, no," replied Jericho, "It will have a socialist title, but I am only extracting the Marxist ideals of nationalized industry for the purposes of building our navy. To tell you the truth, I really don't care about the Communist ideology. In fact, I have always been a capitalist in practice for all my life. I made my money working hard and investing my savings and I am most certainly a member of the bourgeois financially speaking. If this war hadn't started, I would probably be entirely against the Communists."

There was silence. Almost out of nowhere David blurted out, "Why are you fighting this war?"

General Jericho stopped and looked at his assistant, "You mean patriotism aside?"

"Yes," For a moment, David had been frightened, but when he saw that Jericho was not insulted, he decided to see where this would lead.

"You want the honest truth? Even if it might taint your image of me?" asked Jericho.

"Yes."

"I don't know," Jericho shrugged, "I truly don't know for sure what it is. I mean, I am nationalistic, but I would not just do this as some patriotic crusade. I certainly am not doing this for government position since I was not looking to make a career in the military, and I certainly had no intention for power since I had hoped the Congress would take its own action. I am not really profiting from fighting this war directly. I suppose I have just been looking for some great project. I always love a challenge, and this has certainly been one. I am doing this for the glory of it all. Meanwhile, this nasty business involving the coalition is just the means to an end, and the end is victory."

David continued walking silently as he processed all of this. He felt somewhat uncomfortable now because he was not entirely sure whether his leader was telling what he really felt or just standing on the stump to make a speech. David could not say that he had been pleased with the secretive dealing that had been going on. Furthermore, David found himself increasingly sympathetic to the Communist Party, and it did not thrill him that they had become just pawns in Jericho's master plan. Still, it seemed like the social programs they advocated would come into being, and the goals of both the nationalists and the socialists would be solved.

The following week, an army marched on the capital.

To be continued...

Old March 4, 2002, 13:48   #21
godinex
Prince

Local Time: 14:21
Old March 5, 2002, 03:22   #22
Dom Pedro II
King

Part 9: A Whole New World

The army quickly seized control of the capital city. There was very little to stop Jerusalem from falling. The district's untrained militia either fled or joined the Hebrew regulars, and the non-Communist Congressmen were arrested and thrown in prison. The army commanders immediately elected General Jericho as the military governor of the free district. He and the other military officials in combination with the Party conspirators declared a new constitution and officially created the Jerusalem Commune.

In Hebron, Havor, Anyang, and Umtata, the Communists immediately recognized this new government as the official government of Israel. The rest of the provinces remained adamantly opposed to the new government. Rabbi Zahavah, using his influence among the religion community, openly supported the Jerusalem Commune, and in secret meetings convinced other rabbis to endorse the new government. In synagogues across the nation even in provinces unwilling to recognize the new government, the rabbis began insisting that with war with Japan still violently raging on, solidarity in the face of the enemy was the top priority. They urged the people to accept the Commune with open arms.

Governor Jericho's next course of action was to invite all of the major industrialists to a conference. He assured them that their businesses would not be taken from them, and he stated that government contracts were going to be made with all those willing, and those who did not volunteer would be forced to begin military production. Naturally, the industrialists followed suit rather than have their businesses nationalized right from underneath them. If they were given the offer of cooperating and becoming very wealthy men from the government's need for weaponry or to have their livelihood taken and being reduced to paupers, the decision was clear.

Meanwhile, the situation in the foreign scope had become disastrous. As the nation was plunged into anarchy, the international community descended into confusion. The diplomats who had been conferring with the Japanese in Tokyo about a possible cease-fire suddenly found themselves without a government to be representing. The Japanese ambassador was no longer sure if he was even negotiating with men who had any power left. Meanwhile, it appeared that the Japanese military brass were looking for another offensive against the Hebrews in the middle of the turmoil.

The allies were also becoming nervous as well. France and Egypt were not sure whether or not to accept this new government, and for some time it almost appeared that a possible French-Zulu-Egyptian alliance might develop against the Jerusalem Commune in order to put the Confederation back. The Egyptian fleet was docked at Samaria, which was now technically acting independently like most of the other states, but the military, who backed the Jerusalem Commune, was there in force. Jericho feared that the Egyptian commodore might attack the J.C. army thereby opening war between his government and the Egyptians. Realizing the situation was becoming explosive, Jericho sent a packet to both the allies explaining the position of the Commune. When it was understood by both Joan d'Arc and Cleopatra that the Commune intended to prosecute the war even more vigorously than the Confederation, the two declared a position of neutrality.

The situation with the Zulu became close to disastrous. Running the entire length of the Zulu-Hebrew border was the Babylon Line, a 1,500-mile system of fortress running through the Ninevah Mountains down into the Babylon Plains that had been constructed by Israel to protect against a potential Zulu attack. The Hebrews had over 50,000 troops stationed along the length of the line, and many in Zululand were becoming fearful in the wake of the instability. An army marched to the border with unknown intentions.

At the same time, the province of Babylon was teetering on the verge of declaring its independence from Israel. An army under General Herzhaft was immediately dispatched under Governor Jericho's orders to squash the rebellion and prevent a Zulu assault.

This was done, but it proved costly to the Hebrew Army. The citizens of Babylon were in all-out revolt. They built up barricades in the narrow streets of the city, and the mayor had fled. The governor of the province of Babylon, a Hebrew by birth, was considering whether to ride the nationalist fervor springing up there and resurrect the old Babylon by declaring a new republic or see if this new Jerusalem Commune would emerge as the dominant government in Israel.

As it turned out, he did well to remain silent. Herzhaft arrived short thereafter and crushed the riots in the streets. The rebel leaders were promptly executed, and the Hebrew nationals regained control of the province. The governor was then ordered to either assume control as head of the newly organized Department of Babylon encompassing all of the old Babylonian provinces, or he could consider himself one of the Confederates and an enemy of the Jerusalem Commune. When given the proposition, he quickly chose to be the department chairman.

From Jerusalem, Jericho immediately sent Herzhaft's army to the north where the Zulus were massing. At the same time, the show of muscle convinced France and Egypt to recognize the Jericho regime as the official government of Israel. In all of the gaiety and splendor the regime could muster, Jericho held a huge ceremony for the new government called the People's Republic of Israel, which included the islands, the coastal districts, Babylon, and Jerusalem. The eastern provinces were still calling themselves a part of the Hebrew Confederation, but the tide was turning against them. The next step was the creation of the National Order of Judea with Rabbi Zahava as its leader. The religious wave in the free provinces overwhelmed the state governments, and they conceded. The fight on the continent was over.

The northern territories were another matter. Nazareth and Mount Judea were vastly outside of Jericho's reach, so he made a deal. They had little to offer in terms of military strength or industrial capacity, so the governors agreed to abandon the Confederation, a dead political body but alive in spirit with many of the liberals, and become a commonwealth of the PRI. After more than five months of civil war, the PRI was now in total control of Israel. The next step was to turn back to the war with Japan.

The new diplomats under Jericho only goaded the ambassador and the emperor's cabinet to join with the military elite in a hard line policy against Israel. At the same time, the heavy bombarding of their western shores and the massive military construction projects beginning in the new Israel convinced the Japanese leaders that a grand campaign was going to be necessary to win the war. If the Japanese could score a decisive victory against a new Hebrew Navy and win on Hebrew ground, they could knock Jericho's regime out of the war entirely.

In the domestic ring, Jericho's government was doing much. The Hebrew economy was soaring within a few months. He effectively met the Communist Party's cries for poverty relief because the war industry created thousands upon thousands of new jobs. Jericho formed public works programs comprised of thousands of male labors to begin reconstruction of railroads, roads, farmlands, buildings, and canals damaged or destroyed by years of Japanese naval bombardment. Ration boards were created, and people were taken almost entirely off coal for heating. The lumber producers were pleased and greatly increased their output. Jericho's plan of organized economy was called the "national family". Everyone was expected to their part to help bring ultimate victory. Tischler, who became chairman of the Department of Propaganda, put much of the war rhetoric out for the people through posters, ceremonies, and the construction of Victory Square in Jerusalem.

Unfortunately, the war effort was not going as well as planned. A new ironclad, the HPS Japphia, rolled out from Ur harbor with the intention of being the first guard dog against the Japanese frigates who struck the coast almost daily. The ironclad, slow-moving and bulky, had only firepower and thick armor to contend with the quick Japanese fleet. In the end, one ironclad was no match for a squad of Japanese frigates, and after sinking one ship and heavily damaging another, the ironclad limped back towards Ur leaking and shuddering from the cannon fire. The crew realized she was lost and they scuttled her a few miles east of the city. The loss of the ship was a sobering reminder that victory would have to be earned.

David, meanwhile, continued as Chairman Jericho's assistant. He processed most of the reports coming in from the Central Sea. Months passed, the navy grew, the seas burned from wrecked ships on both sides, and a light began to appear at the end of the tunnel.

"Chairman," David entered Jericho's office carrying the latest telegrams.

"What's the news, David?" asked Jericho who was having a drink at that time.

"Another victory to report in the southern Central Sea, sir," explained David, "Our frigates sank an attack fleet of the Japanese. The reports are that we lost two ships, three sustained heavy damage, but the enemy had fifteen ships damaged beyond repair that would never make it all the way back to Japan, and six were sunk at the battle."
"Great news!" Jericho raised the tumbler, "Great news. Have a drink?"

"No thank you, sir," David replied, "There's more… we sustained heavy losses in the northern Central Sea near Ur. We lost five ships, the enemy reportedly lost none. There should be another ironclad coming out of the Ur shipyards in the next two weeks, but… well, I personally don't have high expectations for it, sir."

"Well, one problem at a time," sighed Jericho.

"Sir? Comrade Tischler has reported that the people are growing very wary about the fight in the northern waters… we've seen almost nothing but defeat, or at the very most, we manage to push back one attack squadron only to have another takes its place."

"Blast it, David!" Jericho shot up from his chair, "These things take time! Why can't the people understand that? For God's sake, we weed out the enemy in the southern seas with the help of the Egyptians, and the people say nothing. We cannot outmatch them yet in the north, and we must be doomed to lose the war! Naturally the northern war was going to be a harder theater! They have bases only a short jump from Ur, and Ur is the only city in the north capable of producing ships in the numbers we need right now… they have to be patient! Victory will come there as it has everywhere else."

"I understand that, sir, but -" Jericho cut David off.

"You know, winning a war is a delicate process! Victory will come though. We'll push the Japanese back. I know that they're planning a counter-offensive as we speak. They plan to hit us hard, I know it. Maybe they'll take a shot at Ur… they've been wanting it for years… Well, they'll never see another victory on Hebrew soil. Mark my words! We shall show them the determination of the Jewish people. When we're pushed… we push back and hard!

"You know something," Jericho continued with his speech, "Running a country is a lot like running a business. I've had a shot at both mind you. Sure, when something goes wrong, who do the customers and the investors blame? Not the lazy delivery boy, not the captain who decided to stop off for a pint before making the shipment at the next port. No, they blame the man in charge… me. But it's ok because it's my responsibility to hire competent people and manage things. Well, the entrepreneur may get the criticism, but he also gets the praise. A great man can steer through the storm to success… I'll do that."

David watched his leader and almost without thinking blurted, "You're a great man, sir."

Jericho turned to his assistant. He stood there a moment with a blank expression on his face, but to David's surprise a smile broke across his face. The smile turned to a chuckle, and the chuckle turned into a hearty laugh. "Alright, David, alright. You've heard enough speeches for today. Go on. Get out of here…"

"I'll leave these reports here for you," David placed them silently on the desk, and Jericho ignored them as he turned in his chair to look out at Jerusalem from his big picture window.

As David stepped out of the office, he saw Abegayle, the chairman's secretary, punching up a report on her new typewriter.

"Hello, Abegayle," David said sheepishly.

"Oh! Hi, David. How are you?" a bright smile spread across her face. Her sparkling green eyes seemed so warm and welcoming. David felt he could have soaked up the rays of sunshine she radiated all day.

"Fine. Just fine," David replied. Normally he would have said his good-byes, but today he took a bold step, "Abby… could… I mean, would you mind… I hear that the People's Victory Theater is putting on a new play this Thursday. Would you be interested in going?"

"Well, I don't know… I'll have to see if I can," she said, "But if I can, I would love to go! What's the new production?"

"I haven't the slightest idea," David laughed.

"Okay then," Abegayle smiled again, "I'll get back to about that invitation."

"Until then," David turned and went back to his office. There was perhaps a bit of a bounce in his step.

To be continued…

I would like to dedicate this story at this time to Avigayil, a very special girl. I'll miss you.