Old October 15, 2000, 04:32   #1
Evil Capitalist
King

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Wonder Movies
I apologise if someone has already raised this, but I'd like to know people's views.

There are two main options for the wonder movies in Civ2 or SMAC, or the computer image FMVs of CtP.

As I see it the multiple images are a low risk path to take- they are harder to do wrong, but do not have the same potential to impress. FMVs can go wrong (and did in CtP IMHO), but can provide amazing scenes, flypasts, panoramas, etc.
Old October 15, 2000, 16:09   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

There have been a few threads about this; but since I cannot find them... discuss on
Old November 27, 2000, 19:36   #3
Maccabee2
Warlord

Local Time: 19:34
Local Date: October 30, 2010
IMHO, the most addictive feature of Civ2 for me was the genius of the wonder movies. Multiple images, even if they were just a passing pan shot of certain cultural items (like the terra cotta soldiers seen in the Sun Tzu's wonder) made the patience and discipline required to beat other civs in building the wonder, all worthwhile. Even after playing Civ2 for over four years now, I am still amazed by them. I've pondered their success and I think the key factors for wonder movies boil down to these:
(1) Wherever possible, the depiction of the wonder should be real, photographic video footage. (as in the Hoover Dam, Eiffel Tower, Pyramids, etc.) No matter how panoramic a fly-by you might achieve in a computer-animated sequence, it cannot rival the sense of depth, and therefore of *grandness*, you seize when you show the real thing. There is the genius of Sid Meier's Civ games, the sense of grandness, colossal achievement and colossal effect.
(2) Whereever possible, the depiction should portray the nature of the obstacles that were overcome. A wonder is measured by the effort expended in achieving it. Hoover Dam showed the footage of the steam shovel gouging out rubble from the heart of the earth. Magellan's Expedition showed a ship crossing the lonely, uncharted ocean. These subtle ideas and themes are what seperate the game of the hour (like CTP) from a game that will be popular for years and earn the name of art.
(3) The music should be historically or culturally related to the wonder (unless a special theme is desired to be implied, as with Leonardo DaVinci's workshop, where the music, as was the man, was ahead of his time). Just throwing in something barely relevant to the topic, composed on a MID keyboard, as was the case with CTP, is more than anticlimactic, its almost sacriligious. For instance, a depiction of Angkor Wat should have music specifically from Cambodia, not just any music that will pass as remotely Oriental. This requires that the designers do their homework, or even consult a few experts on the culture of that region or period. Here's where calling a university professor could really make your game accurate. Ask a professor in Southeast Asian studies for help in finding the music most appropriate to associate with Angkor Wat, and if he doesn't know, he'll put you in touch with someone who does. They love accuracy, and will probably help you just for the sake of "making it right."
Old November 28, 2000, 00:21   #4
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:34
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Great Post!

I also was very disappointed in the wonder movies in CTP. I thought they were so cheezy compared to what I was used to in Civ II. Just one more reason why I gave up early on CTP and waited so patiently for Civ III.

I am 100% for the real video movies not the computer animated images.

The suggestion that Maccabee2 has about contracting some experts to place the wonder movies in the proper context is a financial smart suggestion. The benefit far aweighs the cost, in my humble, lowly, patiently awaiting Civ III opinion.
Old November 29, 2000, 10:28   #5
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:34
I guess there should be at least one post providing a counter opinion - playing Civ2 and SMAC over and over meant that the wonder movies lost their appeal - in the end I just turned them off...

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)
Old November 29, 2000, 17:56   #6
Evil Capitalist
King

Yes, but we need something to reward us for building the improvement. I've heard a lot of people speak with approval about the 'fading in' improvements of civ 1, and something similar is needed in civ 3. We play the game for the rewarding experiences, the feeling of triumph. Anything which adds to this is good.
Old November 29, 2000, 21:31   #7
hHydro
Chieftain

I too really enjoyed the movies in Civ II (and to an extent, SMAC)

They're a project in themselves, but as long as someone takes the time to put some work into them, they are indeed a reward both for completeing the wonder, and for playing the game at all.

(As for the movies in SMAC, there's plenty more footage left over from "Baraka" that they could use in Civ III...)