Old February 14, 2002, 11:35   #31
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 15:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
I think my leaving the game would just be another nail in the coffin for this game.

This keeps getting funnier with every post
Old February 14, 2002, 11:44   #32
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 21:25
Well considering I'm one of about 5-10 active players on the zone...
Old February 14, 2002, 12:01   #33
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Well considering I'm one of about 5-10 active players on the zone...
Then you should have said that it might me another nail in the coffin for civ at the zone... but since there aren't many active players anyway...

There are many other active Civ MP groups outside of the Zone.
Our group just keeps getting bigger.

Plus, I highly doubt that any single person has any impact at all to the community at large
Old February 14, 2002, 12:05   #34
DrFell
King

'Then you should have said that it might me another nail in the coffin for civ at the zone... but since there aren't many active players anyway...'

True but if you kill the zone, you kill quick 5 minute games. Zone is good for setting up a quick game, and it's difficult to have a ladder without something like that.

'There are many other active Civ MP groups outside of the Zone.
Our group just keeps getting bigger.'

True but I bet a lot of the new players are 'zone refugees' as the place is so quiet nowadays.

'Plus, I highly doubt that any single person has any impact at all to the community at large'

I know you'd all be crying your eyes out if I left.
Old February 14, 2002, 12:11   #35
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
True but if you kill the zone, you kill quick 5 minute games. Zone is good for setting up a quick game, and it's difficult to have a ladder without something like that.
Yes, it "was" good for setting up quick games. And for that, it will be missed. Many newbees went there to learn, and it was a great place for that. As far as difficult to have a ladder... does anybody really care anymore. Most ladders have fallen appart because of acusations of cheating... disagreements of the rules... or lack of interest. If somebody did come up with a ladders system that people could agree on and was supported by all those who still enjoy ladder play, then whatever site hosted the ladder would be a great place to set up a forum to set up ladder games.
Old February 14, 2002, 13:59   #36
Flatlander Fox
Prince

Hmmm...
A fundamental problem is that the few ladder players that are posting these days are making ALL of them look bad...

The potential players read all of this crap, then decide to go play Warcraft, or Civ 3.

No offense to you Fell, but I think that I will still be playing this game long after you stop.

Many people stayed away from the zone deliberately, due to the high instances of cheating, accusations of cheating, or just plain bad manners.

I played a few games at the zone, and very rarely did I have problems. And there are many players at the zone who were very helpful and alot of fun to play with.

But we don't see those people posting all of this garbage about how "they are the game of Civ 2".

Get real. Get a life. And take your arguments somewhere else. You're scaring the fish away.
Old February 14, 2002, 23:11   #37
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 16:25
1) There are alot more then 5 - 10 players on the zone.

2) If you left it would be just one less player, no more no less. (after all we all survived Eyes supposed exit)

3) I dont understand why people wanna take a game like civ, the whole point of which is to take the many options available and develop the best civ, and turn it into a 5 minute war game. Anyone who plays that style isn't really playing civ anyway.

Just my opinion.
Old February 15, 2002, 12:43   #38
DrFell
King

Re: Hmmm...
Flatlander Fox:

'A fundamental problem is that the few ladder players that are posting these days are making ALL of them look bad...'

I can't help it if Robbie posts EVERYWHERE I do, slandering me over and over. Look at my first post on this topic, how in any way was it offensive? Then he goes straight on the attack. I can be a decent man when I'm being treated that way. I've not tried to offend anyone else.

'The potential players read all of this crap, then decide to go play Warcraft, or Civ 3.'

I try to help all the newbies I can on the zone. It's a small community we need all the members we can get.

'No offense to you Fell, but I think that I will still be playing this game long after you stop.'

I will probably never stop. The nail in the coffin thing was due to Robbies suggestion of driving me out of the game. That would just be another active and experienced player leaving, and players as active as me are a rarity.

'Many people stayed away from the zone deliberately, due to the high instances of cheating, accusations of cheating, or just plain bad manners.'

True you get *******s everywhere, but there is very little cheating in there, less than you might think.

'But we don't see those people posting all of this garbage about how "they are the game of Civ 2".'

I never said that though.

Deity Dude:

'There are alot more then 5 - 10 players on the zone. '

5-10 highly active players. A lot are such casual gamers who just leave in the middle of a game without notice, no fun to play.

'If you left it would be just one less player, no more no less'

We need all the players we can get.

'I dont understand why people wanna take a game like civ, the whole point of which is to take the many options available and develop the best civ, and turn it into a 5 minute war game. Anyone who plays that style isn't really playing civ anyway. '

Playing that way is an art form, just as with any other settings. The strategies are just different, and I personally play on all settings now.
Old February 15, 2002, 12:50   #39
Flatlander Fox
Prince

I understand where you are coming from, but the knee jerk reaction when you and Robbie see each other is flaming...

The few of us that are left need to bury the hatchet and try to get people to play. I am not a great player by any means, but I try to be helpful.

And not beligerant!
Old February 15, 2002, 13:28   #40
Spartan_RawB
Warlord

Local Time: 20:25
Fell, I tried to make ammends with you through ICQ way before all of this started. I stated that I apologized for whatever misunderstanding and I even posted something to the effect that you're a good guy here in apolyton.

Yet, what really peeved me off were your lies right during my absence. When I came back on the scene, Dylan told me he heard all these accusations from you and that you had been spreading bad word in my absence. Talk about talking behind someone's back. Also, you flat out lied to others that the reason I had left was because you had beaten me in a game, a game that wasn't played.

How the hell am I supposed to react to that upon my return? Forgive you all again and try to make ammends? No, I'm not a saint Dr. Fell, and your repeated attempts to attack me, despite your proclamations of "innocence" is just getting tiring. Take your ranting somewhere else.
Old February 15, 2002, 16:18   #41
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 22:25
Jesus ****ing Christ

To both you guys:

You both are saying that you dont want this bullshit and then in the sane post start attacking each other again.

If you like this **** (witch I suppose you both do) at least be honest about it.

Else just shake virtuel hands and stop arguing, it was kinda fun to watch in the beginning but now its getting just

GROW UP!!!!!
Old February 15, 2002, 21:12   #42
DrFell
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spartan_RawB
Fell, I tried to make ammends with you through ICQ way before all of this started. I stated that I apologized for whatever misunderstanding and I even posted something to the effect that you're a good guy here in apolyton.

Yet, what really peeved me off were your lies right during my absence. When I came back on the scene, Dylan told me he heard all these accusations from you and that you had been spreading bad word in my absence. Talk about talking behind someone's back. Also, you flat out lied to others that the reason I had left was because you had beaten me in a game, a game that wasn't played.

How the hell am I supposed to react to that upon my return? Forgive you all again and try to make ammends? No, I'm not a saint Dr. Fell, and your repeated attempts to attack me, despite your proclamations of "innocence" is just getting tiring. Take your ranting somewhere else.
You're the one who brings it to EVERY forum I post on. Just leave it to the zone Robbie, I've never attacked you (except in defence) on a forum ever.
Old February 16, 2002, 01:04   #43
Spartan_RawB
Warlord

Oh, so personal attacks are okay as long as it's not done in the forums and it's done in zone? Fell, you're just full of crap.
Old February 16, 2002, 01:23   #44
DrFell
King

Yeah, if you want to attack me do it in private, no one wants to read it here.
Old February 16, 2002, 02:45   #45
Spartan_RawB
Warlord

I offer you cyber handshake, whatever, I just don't want to put up with this nonsense. I've been talking to a few people, and these flames don't do either of us any good in terms of our public image. So let's put our differences aside, whatever our history, and let's try to appreciate each other for the competitors we are, nothing more. This is a great game, and there aren't too much of us around anyway, and I don't think our fights do anything to further the game. So I hope peace works for you, because it sure will work for me.