Old February 11, 2002, 03:59   #1
Archmage
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I've been away and I need help...
Guys, is there going to be another patch? And if so, have they said what they intend to address with it?

BTW, I have another problem and maybe one of you can help me with it. CivIII is one of the very few games I can play that is WinXP compliant. What are some other games you guys like that are XP compliant. I like ALL genres of game but I've already beaten Mechwarrior4, Medal of Honor, and Wolfenstein.

That's what I love about CivIII. You can play it over and over and over. BUT I hate to beat a dead horse, and it was dead a few months ago, but I find the unbelievably difficult science research rate very frustrating to deal with. EVEN on the easiest level...

Thank you in advance for any responses...
Old February 11, 2002, 09:15   #2
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 15:26
Yes, there will be a patch but Firaxis is holding their cards close to their vest. It might be quite a while yet.

You might want to fiddle with the science rate in the editor.
Old February 11, 2002, 09:28   #3
Martinus Magnificus
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:26
It is said that the next patch will possibly be included in an expansion pack. It is uncertain at this moment what issues will be adressed in the patch/x-pack, but it will definately include an improved editor.
Old February 11, 2002, 09:29   #4
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 22:26
Re: I've been away and I need help...
Quote:
Originally posted by Archmage
BUT I hate to beat a dead horse, and it was dead a few months ago, but I find the unbelievably difficult science research rate very frustrating to deal with. EVEN on the easiest level...

Always try to trade techs, build up your cities (libraries, universities), try to get the Great Library wonder etc, etc...Itīs not so hard, just "train" a bit...
Old February 11, 2002, 10:35   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:26
Re: I've been away and I need help...
Quote:
Originally posted by Archmage
Guys, is there going to be another patch? And if so, have they said what they intend to address with it?

BTW, I have another problem and maybe one of you can help me with it. CivIII is one of the very few games I can play that is WinXP compliant. What are some other games you guys like that are XP compliant. I like ALL genres of game but I've already beaten Mechwarrior4, Medal of Honor, and Wolfenstein.

That's what I love about CivIII. You can play it over and over and over. BUT I hate to beat a dead horse, and it was dead a few months ago, but I find the unbelievably difficult science research rate very frustrating to deal with. EVEN on the easiest level...

Firaxis just recently announced that they're putting together their beta testing team. Which probably means that the patch is basically ready, and they just want to make sure that there's no bugs in it. And maybe do some final tweaking. I give it a month at the earliest, 2 or 3 at the most.
Old February 12, 2002, 05:37   #6
Archmage
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:26
Re: Re: I've been away and I need help...
Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro

Always try to trade techs, build up your cities (libraries, universities), try to get the Great Library wonder etc, etc...Itīs not so hard, just "train" a bit...
Well, I'm not going to tell you I'm some kind of expert Civ player but I'm not another novice either. I consider myself intermediate. I ALWAYS rush to literature before doing anything else scientifically. I build Great Library 95% of the time, though it is certainly weaker than it was in CivII. I always build libraries AND universities in every city. I maximize the science tax rate at whatever I can afford, usually between 60 to 80 percent. To deal with corruption and it's possible effects on science I put courthouses and police stations everywhere.

Admittedly, I don't trade techs much. I never really know until about 1800 how Im going to try to win. I am pretty war-like and I dont like to give my opponents any more help than I have to.

Maybe that IS part of my problem. I also think I dont build enough cities. Population helps science rate I think. I'll keep trying.

How do you tamper with the science rate in the editor though...? I thought there was no editor.....

LOL! MAybe I AM a rookie.....
Old February 12, 2002, 06:03   #7
MattHiggs
King

Local Time: 20:26
Thought this thread was gonna be you needing mental help, and you've been to an asylum.