View Poll Results: What is your favourite age?
Prehistory ( - 3,000 BCE) 1 3.45%
Ancient Age (3000 BCE - 1000 BCE) 4 13.79%
Classical Age (1000 BCE - 500 CE) 4 13.79%
Dark Ages (500 CE - 1000 CE) 0 0%
Middle Ages (1000 CE - 1500 CE) 1 3.45%
Renaissance (1500 CE - 1780 CE) 2 6.90%
Industrial Age (1780 CE - 1880 CE) 2 6.90%
Modern Age (1880 CE - 1950 CE) 6 20.69%
Information Age (1950 CE - 2020 CE) 1 3.45%
Genetic Age (2020 CE - 2100 CE) 5 17.24%
Diamond Age (2100 CE - 2300 CE) 1 3.45%
Post-Diamond Age (2300 CE - ) 0 0%
Fantasy (A long, long time ago...) 0 0%
Other (Whenever, wherever) 2 6.90%
Don't know/don't care 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 11, 2002, 13:19   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Favourite Age
What historical period do you think is the most fun/interesting/cool/challenging/etc to play in? I'm not talking about ages in the (modded or unmodded) game but just in general. This info might be useful to mod/scenario makers but even if it's not it's always fun to answer polls (almost as much as it is to make them)

I like the Ancient and esp. Classical Age best myself (Rome, Greece, Persia, Ch'in & Han China, Mauryan & Gupta India, Aksum, etc), although Modern Age scenarios (WWII) also rock
Old February 11, 2002, 14:53   #2
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 15:27
Ancient - simply from the standpoint of being able to stare at a black map with no idea who or what is out there.

...and to realize just how far we have come, from what we once were. The ancient mindset is just so foreign to what we are today. That's why it is so fascinating.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old February 11, 2002, 15:51   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:27
I like the ancient age best as well. Everyone starts out more or less equal and it is here when the better players really come to the fore front.
Old February 11, 2002, 18:19   #4
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 06:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm all for the Age of Imperialism (1876 - 1950). This period I feel provides the best mix of science, diplomacy and war. But I also love the medieval period as well. Knights 'n castles rock.
Old February 12, 2002, 18:26   #5
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Wow, the BC part of the game is popular! Dale, why did you not vote for Medieval ages then? It's a mutiple-choice poll...
Old February 12, 2002, 18:32   #6
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
...and to realize just how far we have come, from what we once were. The ancient mindset is just so foreign to what we are today. That's why it is so fascinating.
Yeah, that's why I like the ancient age so much as well, it's so different! It's almost a fantasy world, except that it actually existed...
Old February 12, 2002, 19:48   #7
Dale
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Wow, the BC part of the game is popular! Dale, why did you not vote for Medieval ages then? It's a mutiple-choice poll...

DOH!

I missed that. Oh well, sign me up for one of them too.
Old February 13, 2002, 11:08   #8
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Oh well, sign me up for one of them too.
Somehow I feel Markos wouldn't be happy if I started bugging him about needing to change people's vote in polls
Old February 13, 2002, 12:07   #9
tigger
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:27
I'm torn between classical and renaissance. I think you truely had civilisations then...hmmm I sound like a snob (better class of civilisation and all that)...I actually meant that after Rome you mainly got nation states.

Or am I talking rubbish?
Old February 13, 2002, 12:27   #10
Locutus
Deity

When in doubt, vote for both

I get your point. It depends on how exactly you define 'civilization', I suppose. In medieval times there were civs such as Maya, Inca, Aztec, Khmer, Siam, Tang and Song Chinese, Mongols, pre-Ottoman Turks, Hindu India, Arabs, Byzantium, Franks, Mali, Zimbabwe, Swahili, Ethiopia, etc... I personally think those all qualify as 'true' civilizations (though some arguably more than others), but I can see how someone else might not. Not a great period for Europe perhaps (apart from the Franks maybe) but there's more to the world than Europe...

Last edited by Locutus; February 13, 2002 at 12:34.
Old February 13, 2002, 15:12   #11
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 21:27
I prefer the following ages:

Classic Age: Romans, Greeks and Persians
Middle Ages: Crusades, Reconquista
Renaissance: colonization of the Americas
Modern Age: WW1, WW2

Ain't I horribly eurocentric
Old February 13, 2002, 17:33   #12
tigger
Chieftain

I guess I've been eurocentric too. Soz guys.

I'm still not sure what I'm trying to say. I was going to discuss the difference between civs and empires but to be honest its a mute point, thanks Locutus you made me think - not easy after a day at work!

Lets face it I like the renaissance beacuse of Paul kennedy's book on the Rise and Fall of the Great Powers and I like the Classical Period because my father brought me up on greek and roman mythology.

Assur I wanted to develop the scenario I was working on to include the americas rather than just europe, but then I thought it was getting way too big. Maybe I'll have a rethink.
Old February 13, 2002, 18:56   #13
Locutus
Deity

Well, can't really blame you, can I? Civilization is a very eurocentric game... (that, and the history education in most western countries gives a very incomplete picture of world history - can't blame the people who suffered from it for that).

Oh well, maybe my choice of civs/wonders/etc (and their (to be made) accompanying GL files) in the History of Civilization mod will at least partially repair that damage...
Old February 14, 2002, 04:00   #14
tigger
Chieftain

How's the history of civ mod going Locutus?

Thanks for the SLIC help....my first SLIC works fine. Next step is to actually write some from scratch.
Old February 14, 2002, 15:49   #15
Locutus
Deity

Not as good as I'd like. This damned concept called real-life (perhaps you've heard of it? ) keeps interfering... But I think I'll have more time again this weekend and hope to actually get some work done again by then (although just discussing ideas in these forums is in itself already an extremely useful activity)

That's good to hear, you'll get the hang of this soon enough... Don't hesitate to lemme know when you need help again, in the mean time I'll try to put in some extra effort to finally finish that SLIC doc...
Old February 14, 2002, 15:52   #16
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:27
I prefer the late 19th early 20th century. Modern warfare without the Nukes.
Old February 14, 2002, 18:27   #17
Dale
Emperor

Go modern age....... GO!
Old February 14, 2002, 18:41   #18
tigger
Chieftain

Oh heck...lets face it each age has a facet to it. You're beginning to convince me about the modern age!

Locutus - I warned you before about offering SLIC help. you will regret it! Does the Collective allow real life outside of CTP2?
If I can help with the history MOD then give us a shout (I owe you one)
Old February 14, 2002, 20:06   #19
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by tigger
Oh heck...lets face it each age has a facet to it.
Ah, yes, that is definitely true...

Quote:
Does the Collective allow real life outside of CTP2?
Hey, assimilating species is hard work, you know!

Quote:
If I can help with the history MOD then give us a shout (I owe you one)
You will be the one regretting here

Last edited by Locutus; February 14, 2002 at 20:13.
Old April 26, 2002, 21:18   #20
DeanToth
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:27
I voted the "whenever" category simply because this is the reason I play "civ" type games - - - namely, to experience the full gamut of civilizationary evolution (i don't think civilizationary is a real word)

I actually agree with most everyone's opinion here.. for instance, I love the uncertainty of the early stone age, and I like imagining the medieval times, and I enjoy seeing the flowering of my culture as I try to beat others to landmark advancements such as gunpowder....

Yet perhaps because I am a self-made amateur student of history/sociology/technology (as well as other scientific fields) that I find EVERY age interesting to imagine and play.

The progression thru the ages is what made me a fan of the game and keeps me freshly "in love" with it.

Whatever makes you like the game, go with it! CTP and the civ games in principle are classics in this sense. I especially love the mods available for CTPII where you can focus on certain ages.

LONG LIVE CTP

(ps - everyone, please register in the multiplay registry found "topped" in the CTPII multiplay forum)
Old April 26, 2002, 23:34   #21
Bluevoss
Prince

One hundred and seventy oarsmen pulling as one, the oars flashing together. The trireme's bronze ram rises out of the water, shimmering in the weak sun. Then comes the crash of timbers and the crys of the stricken crew as their ship begins to settle. Few of them can swim, and those that can will be easy targets for the naval archers....

The rumble of chariot wheels as the Hittite units roll south, contesting with Egyptian columns for the ownership of battered Phoenicia...

The crunch of compacting snow as Carthaginian war elephants mount the final Alpinian grade. Between the Gauls and the weather, 20,000 lives have been lost in the mountain crossing...

Driven by Alexander, his milatary and forced labrorers struggle to drive a causeway a half mile out to the island city of Tyre. Regardless of the archery attacks and the fireships sent against him, he will see the city destroyed after a horiffic seven month siege...

1000BC - 0. Really, everything after that is just historical epilgue.