Old February 12, 2002, 17:50   #31
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 16:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
How do you detect the cheater?
That is the big question. Unless they make it obvious with their actions, we probably can't.
Old February 12, 2002, 17:51   #32
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 22:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Purple
That's fine for honorable players, but such a rule (or even a patch) wouldn't deter the unscrupulous.
Face the fact, that if the patche fixes this (don't know if it does) all new tournaments will be for v1.17f games, and can't be oened with 1.16f or 1.07f, so the bug would not do any harm.
Old February 12, 2002, 17:54   #33
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

DP - double post
- edited out -

This DP was caused by me using 5+ IE windows, and one of them generated a Database error at my post in this thread, (54 minutes before this one), and 54 minutes after I posted I was back to that IE session, and saw the error, and hit refresh. That resulted in this post.

Now I edit the post to avoid confusing people.

Last edited by Gramphos; February 12, 2002 at 18:22.
Old February 12, 2002, 17:55   #34
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

Face the fact, that if the patche fixes this (don't know if it does) all new tournaments will be for v1.17f games, and can't be oened with 1.16f or 1.07f, so the bug would not do any harm.
Let's hope this is the case.
Old February 12, 2002, 18:09   #35
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 20:28
Unfortunately this isn't fixed in v1.17f as we just heard about it last night. We take its impact on tourneys seriously though, so it will be fixed.

Jeff
Old February 12, 2002, 18:12   #36
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 15:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Unfortunately this isn't fixed in v1.17f as we just heard about it last night. We take its impact on tourneys seriously though, so it will be fixed.
Jeff
WHAT
You can't fix something overnight
Bummer

Thanks for the info... One of the worst things about Civ II MP was that you could open saved files with the editor, even if they were passworded... While trust and honor are wonderful things, it's just a lot easier if it can't be done
Old February 12, 2002, 19:09   #37
klesh
King

Quote:

Jeff
Does this mean that you (Firaxians) didn't know about this? Didn't you put it in there in the first place?

-FMK.
Old February 12, 2002, 19:12   #38
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
Does this mean that you (Firaxians) didn't know about this? Didn't you put it in there in the first place?

-FMK.
I think it was a feature only for the debugversion, but was left in the full versions.
Old February 12, 2002, 19:50   #39
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:28
Quote:

Jeff
Jeff,
Thanks for the info; I guess this blows a big hole in the theory that the Firaxians put this in as a god/cheat mode. So does that mean this qualifies as an unintended bug?
Old February 13, 2002, 01:04   #40
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:28
For tournaments. Wouldn't winning (or showing well) taste sweeter when you know you haven't done this?

As for a *bug*. It ain't a bug. If it's a bug, I'll send Valentines to Lib and Yin. Bug's don't act like this. The problem that Firaxis has to fix is that anybody outside the core of the design team ever discovered the code. They'll probably just change it.

Salve
Old February 13, 2002, 02:01   #41
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 07:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Use found for Cheat Code
I have found a good use for the cheat code. The editor doesn't have a minimap when you're creating a map, so it's not possible to get a minimap to use with the map.

So we use the cheat to get a minimap instead.

With this cheat code, you can load a game with the map at 4000 BC and use the cheat to reveal the whole map. Then all that is needed is to capture the minimap in Geography mode from the Main Screen.
Old February 13, 2002, 02:50   #42
Mizaq
Prince

Local Time: 12:28
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
For tournaments. Wouldn't winning (or showing well) taste sweeter when you know you haven't done this?

Salve
It would be nice if this was the case, but look at other on-line games (counterstrike comes immediately to mind). There will always be people, and sometimes quite a lot of people, who get off on winning using a cheat.
Old February 13, 2002, 03:12   #43
takamine
Settler

old 'early restart' topic w/ cheat code
in playing a game from the start with the cheat mode on, i got to see the full results of what happens when you eliminate an AI tribe early on -- i knocked off the romans in 1850 BC rushing straight at them with persian immortals. the moment i destroyed their final city, Antium, a brand new Antium was instantly created on the opposite end of my continent.

so, restarts do happen instantaneously at early ages, and they do happen in the middle of the very turn that you are on. i also found that the new Antium had a worker, archer, and spearman, as well as an instant 80 gold pieces. they ended up being much better off after being 'destroyed' the first time.
Old February 13, 2002, 06:18   #44
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

If someone relies on cheating, chances are they wont be a good player anyway, and will waste their advantage.

OTOH, if some players weren't doing too well in previous tournaments before everyone knew of this cheat, and suddenly get better... it would be highly suspicious...
Old February 13, 2002, 11:52   #45
Purple
Prince

While it's great to see your quick response, Jeff, and while I've been decrying the use of this "feature" by cheaters, I regret that the creators will lose a very useful tool if it is patched out.

On the balance, I think I favor adding an optional lock that will not eliminate the functionality of the multi.sav trick, but will let creators finish up a map, scenario, etc. by preventing others from peeking and/or modifying the finished file.

Maybe this is what you had in mind, Jeff?
Old February 13, 2002, 13:55   #46
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 23:28
LOL @ Jeff Morris. You Firaxians implement code you don't know anything about .
Old February 13, 2002, 20:51   #47
Jrad
Settler

I think Cheat mode should be in it as it was in Civ II...enable it, everyone knows. You don't know what its like to get fustrated and not be able to nuke those damn musketeers!!! Its fun. It should be availible, but like it was in Civ II.
Old February 13, 2002, 21:47   #48
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
LOL @ Jeff Morris. You Firaxians implement code you don't know anything about .
Not quite... let's just say those responsible for this little dandy are no longer on the Christmas card list ...

Dan
Old February 13, 2002, 22:38   #49
Encomium
Warlord

Hey Dan, WE WANT WHAT CIV II HAD: a Cheat Mode.

I used it for a lot more than "cheating" such as running games automatically or switching sides.

As for Christmas cards, we'll send Valentines to anyone who gives us SCENARIO BUILDING, or are you going to stick it to the buying public with mediocre scenarios at $25 a CD?

Blessings to whoever came up with that code. It helps against your cheating AI.

BTW, be sure an upcoming patch does away with nonsense such as ocean-going galleys or warships that cannot be sunk by bombers.
Old February 13, 2002, 23:28   #50
Encomium
Warlord

Hey!

I just noticed. You can also change the production of enemy cities, and even contact their governors.

During time of war I can have them all building some Happiness projects!
Old February 14, 2002, 04:09   #51
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Not quite... let's just say those responsible for this little dandy are no longer on the Christmas card list ...

Dan
Sabotage? Subterfuge?

Tell us more.

As if.

Salve
Old February 14, 2002, 04:16   #52
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:28
Re: Use found for Cheat Code
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
I have found a good use for the cheat code. The editor doesn't have a minimap when you're creating a map, so it's not possible to get a minimap to use with the map.
It's also a great way of learning how the various civs do things. I realized while looking at the various governors last night, that someone could do a fairly good analysis of their behaviours and tactics while they're building. Unfortunately, I don't have the patience myself, so I'm hoping someone else gets the same idea and runs with it.
Old February 14, 2002, 05:15   #53
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Quote:

Dan
Hmmm, if that was left in, perhaps there are other 'lil dandies also left in... ??
Old February 14, 2002, 15:42   #54
jbrians
Chieftain

Quote:

Dan
That's too bad. I wouldn't exactly call this easter-egg/cheat a terrible offence. As a programmer I would like to get away with leaving a goody or two behind...
-Brian