Old February 13, 2002, 15:08   #61
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 15:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Funny, the parts that Wiglaf quoted really did look like the same old whines to me.
But what an original take from you. Ironik, init?

Quote:
Does that [bizarre unit activation sequencing] happen often?
Constantly.

But if, like Ironkinit, your tactics and strategies require little concentrated thought or continuity, it might not bother you. If it's okay by you to attack with a unit, then order a worker to move who is stationed on some other continent, then move a transport, then move an artillery piece, then find yourself back in your original battle theater with some arbitrary unit active, then you'll have no problem. Likewise, if you don't mind forcing the interface to stay attuned to what you're doing by carefully scrolling and clicking, you'll have no problem.

Quote:
Had to do that in civ2, no problem there.
Yes, but in Civ2, it was sufficient to improve only the city radius tiles. In Civ3, unless you want to throw away advantages in mobility, both for warfare and the incessant pollution cleanups, you must improve every tile within your cultural borders with at least roads and railroads. (In Civ3, for example, an enemy unit has no movement bonus on roads and railroads within your borders.)

Quote:
Although, I'm curious about what's the exact problem with the modern age and how it's different from the earlier ones - seems to me a lot of people don't like it, and it'd be good to get the exact reason why.
One word: tedium.

Few interesting decisions are left. You find yourself with a bazillion workers that were made necessary by the game's design. And the flaws in automating them require that you either compromise your game or move them yourself. You are constantly dismissing modal message boxes one at a time — for each of your cities! — as the Domestic Nag begs you to build aqueducts and hospitals even when they don't make any sense whatsoever. Critical notifications, meanwhile, fly by far too fast to read, leaving you to hunt down pollution, expansion, and resource changes on a map with extremely limited zoom.

You begin to groan at the prospect of yet another turn.
Old February 13, 2002, 15:26   #62
Ironikinit
Prince

Oh, I'd have to say that the AI is better than I expected. Kam, surely you've played the game lots since you're an expert qualified to judge if somebody should buy the game so why not tell us all about how the AI in Civ 3 is better or worse than the AI in Civ 2 or AC. While you're at it, maybe you can help me find the flame forum around here so I can address you in the manner you deserve, you cheap commie ********er. If you want to call names, let's do it where I don't have to pull punches, ****er.

Anyway, yeah, the AI is pretty good, probably the best in the genre, and hostile. This can be countered by making sure that France is in the game, because Joan of Arc is a bit of a patsy.

Corruption is managable, but you have to make adjustments. Even then you'll lose maybe 10-15% of your city income and production. Distant cities might lose all but a single commerce and shield per turn. However, even that can be managed. Corruption is one of the biggest complaints people have. If you really hate it, you can go to the editor and make adjustments to reduce it. It's not even a cheap thing to do, because, well, it's your game for starters and it gives the AI the same benefit anyway.

Despite the complaints about late game tedium, it's no worse than in Civ 2 or AC with the exclusion (and this is a biggie) that tedium is worsened by the delay experienced on big maps with a lot of civs. Some of the changes to game mechanics are clearly intended to reduce tedium. Once you learn how to boss the automated workers around, for instance, they're a no brainer (expect scoffing and general grunting from perfectionists and malcontents). Also, the tech tree was streamlined and redundant units 86'd (prepare for squealing and protests).

So, how's the decision making process coming along, Wiglaf?

It really never does hurt to wait, you know. It'll be a while before the price drops, but a few people around here claim to be trying to unload their copy and it's on eBay, too, I hear.
Old February 13, 2002, 15:28   #63
Libertarian
King

Wiglaf, my primary complaints are now apparently moot (pending testing as to whether the new patch works). If Firaxis has done what it says it has done, the good now outweighs the bad.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:48   #64
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
Anyway, yeah, the AI is pretty good, probably the best in the genre, and hostile. This can be countered by making sure that France is in the game, because Joan of Arc is a bit of a patsy.
It holds up during diplomacy?

Quote:
Corruption is managable, but you have to make adjustments. Even then you'll lose maybe 10-15% of your city income and production. Distant cities might lose all but a single commerce and shield per turn. However, even that can be managed. Corruption is one of the biggest complaints people have. If you really hate it, you can go to the editor and make adjustments to reduce it. It's not even a cheap thing to do, because, well, it's your game for starters and it gives the AI the same benefit anyway.
So the whole corruption problem can be fixed in the editor? Not bad.

Quote:
So, how's the decision making process coming along, Wiglaf?
I'll check back after the patch is released to see if all the advertised improvements are really in there. Then, odds are I'll pick it up from Compuexpert for around $35-40.

Quote:
Wiglaf, my primary complaints are now apparently moot (pending testing as to whether the new patch works). If Firaxis has done what it says it has done, the good now outweighs the bad.
The AI/culture/diplomatic model's fine? Since the interface is pretty much fixed (if the patch works out), it's probably a safe buy now?
Old February 13, 2002, 16:49   #65
Libertarian
King

Yes. In my opinion, if the patch works, then the primary causes of late-game tedium have vanished.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:56   #66
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf

The AI/culture/diplomatic model's fine? Since the interface is pretty much fixed (if the patch works out), it's probably a safe buy now?
Yes, the new patch has addressed most of the major issues, so it's a safe buy. There will still be more that people will expect, and more glitches that come up, but for now the main beefs have been fixed. And that indicates to me they'll continue to improve on it, so it will just get better.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:56   #67
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 21:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Ironikinit
While you're at it, maybe you can help me find the flame forum around here so I can address you in the manner you deserve, you cheap commie ********er. If you want to call names, let's do it where I don't have to pull punches, ****er.
Is that foam I see coming out of your mouth, Iron? And don´t hold it back for christs sake, you might rupture an artery
Old February 13, 2002, 17:18   #68
Ironikinit
Prince

Well, the AI has diplomatic advantages. For instance, it will rarely, if ever, trade luxuries or resources with the human on a 1 to 1 basis. Also, it will trade during your turn. It holds up pretty well, tho, but it does do predictable things.

I don't know if corruption can be eliminated completely, but for me it adds to the game just as it is. It's a little crude as a way to limit empire sizes, and isn't really realistic as it's all based on distance from capital. Its inclusion rewards good managers, though, and limits unrealistic expansion.

It was a good buy all along, IMO. The patch could do a lot to silence the crybabies and attention whores, but that might be expecting too much.

Kam,

Is that a banana in your pocket, or are you an ass clown who gets off on being a minor annoyance online, where you can avoid the rewarding experience of picking up your teeth with broken fingers? Goodbye, ass clown. Your inability to answer questions or back up your claims makes you worthless to me.
Old February 13, 2002, 19:24   #69
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 21:28
Quote:
Kam,

Is that a banana in your pocket, or are you an ass clown who gets off on being a minor annoyance online, where you can avoid the rewarding experience of picking up your teeth with broken fingers? Goodbye, ass clown. Your inability to answer questions or back up your claims makes you worthless to me.
If I thought you deserved an answer I´d give it to you, but as it is now I wouldn´t even piss on you if you were on fire. I will end this "discussion" now however, cause this has gone quite far enough.
Old February 13, 2002, 21:32   #70
DaXX
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:28
Yes, but no. At least not right at this very moment on this day. Wait until Friday when the 1.17f patch is released then buy the game and i think it's a worthy candidate.

I can't believe they released the game in the state they did so many months ago. i bought it right around the time it was released. ugh. things really didn't work right back then
Old February 13, 2002, 22:28   #71
Encomium
Warlord

DO NOT BUY
I would not have bought it if I knew the following:

1. It has no scenario-building.

2. It has no cheat mode.

3. It is so dumb historically that bombers cannot sink warships.

4. Too few techs.

5. Too much corruption.

6. Too much of that "Culture Flipping" bullbleep.

7. Crazy stupid AI advisors.

And about three dozen other things. . .

Old February 14, 2002, 03:01   #72
Encomium
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
I would say, eventually buy the Gold Edition of Civ 3 (that will include all the patches, mods, editors, MP, etc). That will be a worthwhile buy. Civ 3 right now has many good things, but many bad things as well. Is it worth paying full price? Not as it stands right now. Maybe wait until it falls to half its price and pick it up then.

For half the money, you can purchase EU2 now, and it stands head and shoulders above Civ 3. If you want strategy, complexity, politics, economics, wars, religions, and diplomacy all wrapped up in an elegant interface, on a beautiful world map, with excellent unit animations and music, then this is the game to play. It spans the years from 1419 to 1819. You can play one of 200 countries! And all of the countries have their own provinces, military, alliances, religions, etc. So the replayability is awesome.

You could probably buy two games for the price of Civ3 right now. Check out the thread on "What other games are comparable to Civ3" thread for other ideas.

But make no mistake - the Civ 3 Gold Edition, if it includes everything it should, will be a worthwhile purchase later
In otherwords, those who paid for Civ III will have to pay for ANOTHER version of Civ III BECAUSE FIRAXIS EFFED UP WITH THE FIRST VERSION?? I will have to buy two Civ III's to get one that really works?!?

Anyone with a Civ III disk should be able to trade it in for the "Gold Edition" free of charge.

Firaxis seems determined to rip us off. I also expect $25 scenario disks soon since they didn't give us scenario-building in Civ III.

BTW, what is "EU2"??
Old February 14, 2002, 05:59   #73
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
...order a worker to move who is stationed on some other continent, then move a transport, then move an artillery piece, then find yourself back in your original battle theater with some arbitrary unit active...
I will give Firaxis this: They did get some of the unit activation sequence done extremely well. Each new turn you will start by moving all your artillery pieces, so you have the chance to bombard the hell out of any enemy units before risking yours on the attack. Only after you have given orders to all your artillery will it start processing the "other" units. This is where the problem is.

After doing the artillery, it will then process your workers, ground units, navy, basically everything except artillery, and not choose units from similar locations to jump to next. This is the part that the patch hopefully fixes
Old February 14, 2002, 13:00   #74
Unregistered
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Encomium
BTW, what is "EU2"??
It's a game u should ck out. http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=eu2 I would have to agree w/ Leonidas's comments about EU in general, even though I haven't yet tried EU2. I've been resisting picking it up because I 'lost' six months of last year to the first EU. But soon I will, yes! And in most respects his comments apply to the original EU as well. My general impression of EU v CivIII is along the lines of a Corvette v a Geo Metro. To be fair, it's not quite an apples to apples comparison. The two big differences are that EU is RTS and only attempts to cover a few hundred years of history.

Cheers,

PS Sorry for the OT...
-- "Mr. Glencannon" - Guy Gilpatrick
Old February 14, 2002, 13:29   #75
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Encomium
BTW, what is "EU2"??
Europa Univeralis 2: It's a vast, complex game spanning the whole known world during the years 1419 to 1819 involving every facet of running a country and an empire. It has a steep learning curve, but it is a very rich, deep game.

If you love history, and if you love the feeling of being in a dynamic world of changing times, of crossing vast oceans, of exploring unknown lands, of fending off encroaching imperial powers, of trying to build armies and staking your claim in a hostile world, then this game is for you.

You can play as Spain or as China; you can try your hand at bringing Britain to greatness; or change history and make Portugal a great power; lead America to an early rise to greatness; or have Holland forge powerful alliances and become a colonizing empire. In fact, you can play as one of 200 countries. . .

Talk about your options
Old February 14, 2002, 13:49   #76
Leonidas
King

More on Europa Universalis2:

And don't expect to awe your implacable foes with your "culture", or expect that by building more churches, temples or mosques, you can take over their cities, armies and provinces. This sort of thing doesn't happen in the real world or in this game.

Although, you will have to worry about rumblings from religious minorities within your provinces, if you want to go "conquering and to conquer", you will still have to do it the old fashioned way, and build a sizeable army to be a land power, or build a huge fleet containing ships of the line to be a colonial empire. . .
Old February 14, 2002, 16:33   #77
Ironikinit
Prince

It's also a lot of fun watching the AI lose 100k troops to attrition while marching them through the Alps.
Old February 14, 2002, 22:31   #78
Joe R. Golowka
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:28
Quote:
Well, the AI has diplomatic advantages. For instance, it will rarely, if ever, trade luxuries or resources with the human on a 1 to 1 basis.
Sometimes they will trade one to one (I've had this happen to me), but they usually try to get the best deal they can.
Old February 14, 2002, 23:25   #79
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Little question: with 1.17b it looks like Firaxis totally removed the 1.16f file from the patches section of their download tab at civ3.com...is going directly from the initial release to 1.16f to 1.17b a requirement to get all gameplay fixes? Can't find 1.16f anywhere on the official page anymore, but it'll probably still be at the fansites I guess.

Quote:
Europa Univeralis 2: It's a vast, complex game spanning the whole known world during the years 1419 to 1819 involving every facet of running a country and an empire. It has a steep learning curve, but it is a very rich, deep game.
Would someone into civ think it stacks up as far as overall gameplay/strategy/etc, in your opinion?

Quote:
To be fair, it's not quite an apples to apples comparison. The two big differences are that EU is RTS and only attempts to cover a few hundred years of history.
I don't really understand the whole RTS idea with EU2 at all.

Quote:
Well, the AI has diplomatic advantages. For instance, it will rarely, if ever, trade luxuries or resources with the human on a 1 to 1 basis. Also, it will trade during your turn. It holds up pretty well, tho, but it does do predictable things.
In SMAC I had a big problem with some of the options available to me - I could trade a size two city for a size ten one very easily, for example. Any big flaws like that in the civ3 model?
Old February 14, 2002, 23:43   #80
Leonidas
King

Quote:
It's also a lot of fun watching the AI lose 100k troops to attrition while marching them through the Alps.
Kind of like real life.

In most wars the vast percentage of casualties to soldiers usually resulted from disease/illness. Just ask Alexander the Great when he marched through Persia. Or ask Hannibal when he crossed the Alps with his troops and elephants.
Old February 15, 2002, 00:07   #81
Ironikinit
Prince

Wiglaf,

I'm into Civ, and I really do think EU is a good game. It's much more about real history than Civ, that's certain. I didn't pick up EU2, but I might someday. This isn't the best place to go into it I guess.

The AI is fairly hard to exploit via diplomacy in Civ 3. It used to fall for buying useless techs, but I think that's been addressed in the new patch. Many more people complain that it won't trade fairly than that it's too much of a sucker.

Leonidas,

Point taken, if what you're getting at is that Civ 3 lacks attrition.
Old February 15, 2002, 00:11   #82
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf
1) Would someone into civ think it stacks up as far as overall gameplay/strategy/etc, in your opinion?

2) I don't really understand the whole RTS idea with EU2 at all.

3) In SMAC I had a big problem with some of the options available to me - I could trade a size two city for a size ten one very easily, for example. Any big flaws like that in the civ3 model?

Wiglaf:

1) I have, and still play all the civ games including Civ 1, Civ II, Alpha Centauri, Call to Power II, etc.

EU2 stacks up very well against these games. In fact, it is even more historical. It is complex and has a steep learning curve, but it is a very rich, deep game.

2) I dislike RTS games myself. Don't let the RTS attached to EU2 throw you. You are playing on the world stage, not on some small battlefield (as in Red Alert). You can set the game to move at monthly increments. Because you are playing on a national and global scale, the movement of time is not as noticeable. Even so, whenever important events occur, the game pauses. Whenever you want to engage in any actions, review your economy, engage in diplomacy, etc, you can pause the game.

As I mentioned, I hate RTS games, but I love EU2. The movement of time in the game adds a bit of tension and lets you know that you are operating in a "living" environment.

3) Well, there is a very long list of problems in Civ3. Some of them are slowly being addressed in the patches; others are just being changed/modified through user mods.

It depends what you are expecting to get out of the game. It has great unit graphics, animations and sounds. Really the best for a turn-based game.

The AI is very aggressive. Not necessarily the brightest AI on the microchip, but very aggressive.

There are a host of problems that I won't go into, but I'll only mention a couple:

a) The AI in diplomacy will do some pretty dum/stubborn things. Like your example from SMAC, sometimes you can offer the AI several cities, gold, resources, etc for a single item, and it will still refuse to trade with you.

b) You basically have to accept the premise that "culture" can help you take over the world. Conversely, you have to accept that an enemy's "culture" can mysteriously take over your cities, brain-wash all their inhabitants and swallow up your military units stationed in them.

This concept of "culture" is nowhere seen in the real world. I could accept it better in a sci-fi game. But since the Civ games have always been about re-tracing/simulating/gaming history in a loose way, I find this concept of "culture" truly strange.

You basically have to suspend your belief and imagine that if you build enough churches and temples, your empire will expand and your enemies will lay prostrate at your feet.

If you can accept this rather bizarre concept, then it's just a matter of learning strategies to deal with it.

There are many more issues in this game, but if you read past posts and scan the forum, you will learn about them.

I'm hoping that many of the worst problems will be fixed.

Last edited by Leonidas; February 15, 2002 at 00:38.
Old February 15, 2002, 00:31   #83
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Leonidas,

Point taken, if what you're getting at is that Civ 3 lacks attrition.

Ironikinit: Hi

I was only backing up your observation

It CAN be fun AND a big relief, when that huge army marching towards you gets whittled down to size

This sort of thing also simulates what happened in history, making EU2 a bit more historical in its treatment of events. . .

I've accepted that the Civ series (now Civ3) doesn't involve things like attrition. It doesn't really bother me. The Civ games always dealt with the larger, tangible concepts of history without getting too bogged down in the minute details.
Old February 15, 2002, 00:35   #84
Ironikinit
Prince

Quote:
This concept of "culture" is nowhere seen in the real world.
I guess I must've taken that anthropology class in never never land. People said the prof was a fairy, now I know what they meant.

Just pulling your chain.

The AI in Civ 3 is better than the notoriously weak AI in EU. I hope you don't think it makes death marches like the infamous Swiss sieges in an attempt to be historical.
Old February 15, 2002, 00:52   #85
Leonidas
King

Quote:

I guess I must've taken that anthropology class in never never land. People said the prof was a fairy, now I know what they meant.

Just pulling your chain.

The AI in Civ 3 is better than the notoriously weak AI in EU. I hope you don't think it makes death marches like the infamous Swiss sieges in an attempt to be historical.
Ironikinit:

Well, a game is a game.

Some things are incidental to gameplay and their values can be tweaked (like army attrition); other things are central to gameplay, and cannot be eliminated (like the concept of "culture" in Civ3).

"Culture" as presented in Civ3 is truly bizarre. The very idea that my churches, MacDonald hamburger stands or Coca Cola outlets will cause people to throw away thousands of years of history, wars, religion, nationalism, etc for my "culture" is totally alien to anything on this earth.

Even during the Crusades, no matter how many churches or mosques were built, Europe still had to send armies to fight the Arab armies in the Holy land.

However, I'm willing to accept it, and suspend my belief, as long as some of the other issues are fixed.

The AI is good in Civ 3; it's not spectacluar, but it is very aggressive and will give you a run for your money.

You mention the weak AI in EU2. What examples have you found playing the game? What level of difficulty are you playing at?

The game is constantly being tweaked. Remember, it simulates over 200 countries - which is a pretty spectacular achievement, when you consider Civ3 allows only 16 countries in one game.
Old February 15, 2002, 01:13   #86
Ironikinit
Prince

I played the default level, and after I found that too easy I increased the aggression level and the um... I know there were two different switches, but I've forgotten the other. Does that help? I could still beat Spain to Mexico when playing as England, I remember that much. It helped that I knew where all the goodies were.

As for examples of bad AI, the death marches should do. Also while AI control France marched off to oblivion, I could end run small cavalry armies as Austria and pillage their provinces and it wouldn't counter. (Exploit, I suppose.) Then there was how it wouldn't protect its capital well enough thus allowing me to put a quick end to wars, even if it had 3 or 4 times the troops I had. Of course, they were usually in Switzerland for some reason.

The AI in EU just wasn't strong, and I can find you fan and professional reviews to attest to that if you insist. I'm a fan myself. What prevented me from buying the sequel were reports that the AI hadn't been improved. That and laziness. And loose women. Plus I got high.

The scope of EU really is grand. The first time I played it I was really taken at just how huge it really is. The 100's of available countries that you can play isn't new to EU 2, you could do that with the IGC in EU. I imagine they've fleshed out the minor powers now, though, and that could make them more fun to play.

BTW, you seem to overestimate how much culture flipping influences the average game of civ. Some games it won't happen at all that I see, some I'll get a couple rival cities to go my way, esp. if I play as a religious civ. Cultural reversion after conquest is another story.

Anyway, culture does matter in history, not least in how civilizations have expanded. I'm not going to argue that, somebody else can if they feel like it.
Old February 15, 2002, 03:26   #87
Leonidas
King

Quote:
I played the default level, and after I found that too easy I increased the aggression level and the um... I know there were two different switches, but I've forgotten the other. Does that help? I could still beat Spain to Mexico when playing as England, I remember that much. It helped that I knew where all the goodies were.

As for examples of bad AI, the death marches should do. Also while AI control France marched off to oblivion, I could end run small cavalry armies as Austria and pillage their provinces and it wouldn't counter. (Exploit, I suppose.) Then there was how it wouldn't protect its capital well enough thus allowing me to put a quick end to wars, even if it had 3 or 4 times the troops I had. Of course, they were usually in Switzerland for some reason.

The AI in EU just wasn't strong, and I can find you fan and professional reviews to attest to that if you insist. I'm a fan myself. What prevented me from buying the sequel were reports that the AI hadn't been improved. That and laziness. And loose women. Plus I got high.

The scope of EU really is grand. The first time I played it I was really taken at just how huge it really is. The 100's of available countries that you can play isn't new to EU 2, you could do that with the IGC in EU. I imagine they've fleshed out the minor powers now, though, and that could make them more fun to play.

BTW, you seem to overestimate how much culture flipping influences the average game of civ. Some games it won't happen at all that I see, some I'll get a couple rival cities to go my way, esp. if I play as a religious civ. Cultural reversion after conquest is another story.

Anyway, culture does matter in history, not least in how civilizations have expanded. I'm not going to argue that, somebody else can if they feel like it.
Hi Ironikinit

1) OK the default level in EU1 is the easiest level. I think many people were playing the default level without realizing how easy it would make the game.

In EU2, from what I understand, if you play the harder levels, you will have a very tough time.

But with that said, this is a very complex game, and it is extremely difficult to account for every single action.

I do agree that playing as some countries (such as England) can be easier, especially given their island (and thus isolated) status. Plus they have an extremely powerful navy.

For a challenge, crank up the difficulty level and try playing as Prussia, Russia or some smaller state. You might have a great time

I have no doubt that if someone played EU1 and then EU2 non-stop for the past 12 months, they would be a pretty good player, and therefore, the game would become "easy" for them. But for the average player, there is more than enough challenge in the game to keep them busy for quite some time.

The great thing about Paradox is, that they listen to their fans, accept feedback, and are constantly tweaking the AI. So, i still expect big things in the future.

2) With regard to culture flipping, I suppose it depends on how you play. If you play on a large map with few civs, then it's not a big problem.

But if you're playing more aggressively on a regular map with many civs, then it can definitely cramp one's play style.

3) As far as culture in history and the game goes - as I've mentioned, I'm willing to suspend my belief for the purposes of the game (and it is a game after all), and willing to use work-a-round strategies to cope with it.

But Wiglaf asked for opinions on EU2, so this is all for his benefit, and for anyone else who might be interested
Old February 15, 2002, 04:45   #88
Ironikinit
Prince

Yes, England is easy to play, for the human. The AI, on the other hand, usually failed to take out Scotland and would lose not only Ireland (some games there would be oddballs like Turkey or the Papal States taking a chunk) but home provinces. Despite the attention to historical accuracy, there wasn't a way for the AI to make England overcome it's weak start so that it could do as well as it did in actuality, and that's in spite of the generous ratings English rulers got in the game.

I did play Russia, actually. When the Time of Troubles occured, I thought it was a bug, until I checked and found out that it was supposed to act like that, with the same negative event happening five or six times. Once I got used to that, Russia was pretty easy too. IIRC Russia was a favorite of those who liked to take over the world. I understand that doing that is harder in EU2.

I played Austria, too. And Saxony. And Sweden, and Prussia, and the Hanseatic League. I played the game quite a bit for a while. I played all the majors except France and several of the minors. I used Spain the game I took over the planet.

The main challenge of EU for me was figuring out how to play. Paradox should hire the guys who write after action reports on their forums to write their manual, because the one that came with EU was pretty awful. I did hear that the tutorial is better in EU2, but improving on EU's would be a minor feat.

Speaking of Paradox, if they listen to the fans so much, why didn't they improve the AI in the sequel? That was a major fan concern. Not just with me, but plenty of posters on their forums wanted it. BTW, they have great fans, and a really good, positive, supportive message board.

Civ 3 took a while to learn, even though I played Civ 2. Actually, I had to forget a lot and try to get a fresh perspective. Still, it was nothing like the headache I had trying to figure out EU's manual.

I'm still far from a master of Civ 3. I don't consider myself a master at EU, either. However, Civ 3, for me, is more of a challenge than EU. I can't say anything about EU 2 because I haven't played it. I don't play games long enough to really master them.

Addressing culture flips:

I play on a standard map, 8 civs, continents, large land mass (which does make it less crowded). In my current game I've had 0 peaceful culture flips and thus far 0 reversions, and I'm on the main continent and have taken cities by force from two different civs, including the culturally advantaged Babylonians. Cultural reversion is (was?) a legitimate complaint, esp. given that Firaxis felt the need to tone it down in the new patch. Cultural flips are not that common. As I said earlier, two or three in a game is about the most I expect, and that's if I try to force them. Some games I do get lucky and there will be that many without me trying to cause them. I should note that I'm still using the 1.16f patch.

Here's a discussion of culture flipping over at CivFanatics that coincidentally got bumped tonight. It has a lot of historical examples.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=15804

Anyway, both Civ 3 and EU are good games. EU2 is pretty much the same deal as EU from what I know, so Wiglaf (and any lurkers) might consider saving money by picking up EU from a bargain bin instead of paying the premium price for Civ 3 or EU 2. I'm biased toward Civ 3 because it's what I'm playing currently. Also, it gets attacked so much around here that I think I tilt even more in its favor as a reaction. Lastly, I might be sentimentally attached to the series since I've played Civ 1, 2, and now 3 so much, not to mention SMAC.
Old February 15, 2002, 05:11   #89
Leonidas
King

Ironikinit:

I'm a big fan of all the civ games as well. I like a great deal in Civ3. I'm hoping that the problems in it will be fixed. That's why I still come back to the forum, checking on the progress of things.

Even CTP2 modded is an excellent game, and I'm enjoying playing it without all the tedious click-fests that other games have.

I'm a sucker for historical strategy games, so I'll usually grab them and play them when I have time.

I've just gotten into EU2, so it will take me time to get up to speed on the game. But I can tell you that the tutorials have vastly improved - there are nine of them now, and they get you up and running in no time.

I'm not a supporter of any game or game company - to me the game and gameplay will always determine my feelings on an issue. After all, the game's the thing.

There are so few quality games out there, that finding those few gems that are worth playing are getting harder all the time. That's why I hope the civ series and the EU series will continue to be refined over the years. . .

With regard to Civ3 being attacked:

Criticism of Civ 3 is not meant to knock it down and destroy it. Many were hoping for a great game, and even now, many still want the game to be fixed.

Believe me, what you are hearing from other gamers is a strong desire to have a complete game. What you are hearing is frustration, because the civ series has always been held in very high esteem.

The day that the scenario editor is working properly, and when many of the more annoying problems are fixed, many gamers will come running back in droves to play the game

So always keep that in mind - the critics LOVE the civilization experience; they just want to make sure that their favourite game never looses its focus or forgets what made it popular in the first place.

Cheers

Last edited by Leonidas; February 15, 2002 at 05:21.
Old February 15, 2002, 05:52   #90
siredgar
Prince

Wiglaf,

Buy it now if you can deal with the patches.

Otherwise, I'd wait until it is finished.

Sir Edgar

--

By the way, has anyone played Wizadry 8? Is it like Might and Magic? I didn't like that game much.