Old December 5, 2000, 23:59   #1
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Units, whats your thoughts??
I think the unit system in civ2 is extremely out of wack. for one thing, I usually get musketeers around 1 A.D.! second thought, I think there should be a much larger variety of units, different units would be used for different things, like the tank, would be specificly used in invasions, to lead armies, etc., and the marines, would be mainly used for guard duty.
3. the ranking system is way wrong, I mean, tell me, there is no sense in a unit being promoted to "veteran" status?? In real life, units (soldiers) aren't promoted to it, they become it with experience. I would like to see units have like levels, like in diablo, and diablo2, they could gain experience points, and level up, but no more then like, 5 levels, too complicating. I just thought I'd make this more easy, cause my last thread, Ranks in the Military, everyone jumped on me at the mention of officers, generals, sergeants, etc.

whats everyones thoughts?
Old December 6, 2000, 00:31   #2
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:34
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto on 12-05-2000 10:59 PM
I think the unit system in civ2 is extremely out of wack. for one thing, I usually get musketeers around 1 A.D.! second thought, I think there should be a much larger variety of units, different units would be used for different things, like the tank, would be specificly used in invasions, to lead armies, etc., and the marines, would be mainly used for guard duty.

You don't know much about the US army system, do you? The marines are not the US guard, the National Guard is. The Marines are an elite group in the Navy, generally they are the first US force into and area, they go in, secure the area, and set up bases for the army and air force.
quote:

3. the ranking system is way wrong, I mean, tell me, there is no sense in a unit being promoted to "veteran" status?? In real life, units (soldiers) aren't promoted to it, they become it with experience. I would like to see units have like levels, like in diablo, and diablo2, they could gain experience points, and level up, but no more then like, 5 levels, too complicating. I just thought I'd make this more easy, cause my last thread, Ranks in the Military, everyone jumped on me at the mention of officers, generals, sergeants, etc.

whats everyones thoughts?

One question: You have a 3 up there, what happened to 1 and 2?
As per your ideas on units leveling up, I don't think that will go well either. If you have units leveling up, then that will mean that the generall development of advancing units would have to go up much faster so that, though a high level phalanx might be able to take on a mid to low level knight, it wouldn't stand a chance against even a low level dragoon.
Old December 6, 2000, 00:36   #3
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

I happen to know quite a bit in army stuff, I was speaking in the most general terms, and using terms from civ2 (the national guard was not in civ2).
Old December 6, 2000, 00:48   #4
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:34
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I guess that you could call the national guard the infantry (a unit not in civ 2, but a very usefull unit, at 6, def 5, who cares about the rest, that bridges the gap between the rifleman and the mobile infantry). But anyway, we know what these units are supposed to be like, and really I think it unnecessary, as thats what most people do normally with those units (actually I prefer to just wait until I get the howitzers and 'blitze' everyone with the only unit 'immune' to all city defences).
Old December 6, 2000, 16:46   #5
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

LOL! (laugh out loud), I love playing with my enemies with my *little* howitzers, Rather, I will change that to I love destroying my enemies!
Old December 7, 2000, 17:55   #6
Yeti
Warlord

Ya i missed the infantry units of Civ2 vs CTP

I'd like to see the partisan who is bad offensivley, but can ignore zones of control, move any three spaces, and had the ability to pillage.

The stack concept should be kept, as with the "veteran" concept without barracks.

One thing that would help the active vs reserve concept is being able to pick the units on alert status. That way you could save on units back home protecting that granery 5000 miles away.

It seems they took out the bite of the tank in CTP, and did away with all those cool infantry units. The tank should be bumped up and mech infantry with the same movement rate but less attack and better defense. However the tank terrain movement should be not allowed to pass mountains or rivers at all, (unless a road or better is there). Partisans could then be used to stop/slow a blitz, with yet another unit, (anti-tank infantry or unit, only really effective vs tanks) available to all civs once tank warfare is invented.

Another thing: minefields. Have a minelayer/minsweeper unit. Make it if you mine a city area square, you cant gain any resources from it.

Airfields: You should be able to airlift a unit from a city. You would have to name it tho so when the airport list comes up you know where it is lol.

Gotta keep the marines. Even though the largest beach assault in rl world history was done by the army

my 2 cents

yeti

Old December 8, 2000, 16:25   #7
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

I love the mine-field idea!

I agree that there should be an anti-tank unit, that is especialy effective against tanks. Something like the historical vehical in WW2, it was called the Tank Destroyer. THey were major artillery/tank vehicles, that was vulnerable against infantry, but could take out any tank.