Old February 12, 2002, 18:22   #31
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 14:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by siredgar
It better have specify player starting locations.
Why? If you know where they are, why not have the whole map exposed? This is a necessity for most scenarios but for a regular game, that sounds like cheating.
Old February 12, 2002, 18:33   #32
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 22:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Actually, it has more to do with the fact that the first version of this patch we submitted passed QA than the scope of the changes. If it had required fixes, the next version submitted would have been v1.18f, and so forth.

Jeff
Aha. That is one way of using version numbers. It holds prove the patch god I suppose, you got it through on first try.
Old February 12, 2002, 18:35   #33
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 15:29
Quote:
Originally posted by siredgar
It better have specify player starting locations.
Assuming you mean historically-correct starting positions for the world maps, no, they will not be in the patch.

Dan
Old February 12, 2002, 18:36   #34
Slax
Prince

I wouldn't expect stacked movement until an expansion pack, if at all. It will take a lot of programming to get the AI to use stacks, plus it will require graphical representation on the interface.

But, dare to dream. They have had quite some time...
Old February 12, 2002, 18:38   #35
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

BTW - is it jus a coincidence that the bicchange + gamechange = editorchange?
Old February 12, 2002, 18:41   #36
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 14:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Assuming you mean historically-correct starting positions for the world maps, no, they will not be in the patch.

Dan
That would be a scenario, would it not? Guess you lost a fan or two who thinks this is so critical.
Old February 12, 2002, 18:47   #37
siredgar
Prince

Quote:

Dan
Do you mean I STILL won't be able to specify player starting locations in the map editor???
Old February 12, 2002, 18:48   #38
Libertarian
King

Quote:

Dan
I think he means simply the ability to specify starting locations generally with the editor, e.g., paint a world and put civs in it.
Old February 12, 2002, 18:50   #39
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

You can specify player starting positions, as you always could. The ability to assign a specific civ or player to that starting position has not been implemented as of v1.17f.

Dan
Old February 12, 2002, 18:54   #40
siredgar
Prince

Quote:
You can specify player starting positions, as you always could. The ability to assign a specific civ or player to that starting position has not been implemented as of v1.17f.

Dan
Then the answer is no.
Old February 12, 2002, 19:01   #41
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 20:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Slax
I wouldn't expect stacked movement until an expansion pack, if at all. It will take a lot of programming to get the AI to use stacks, plus it will require graphical representation on the interface.

But, dare to dream. They have had quite some time...
The AI does not need stack movement. They can move each unit individually at speed of light. It is the human player, who needs a break from the damn tedius movement. It does not require any new art work. As of right now, you can already put more than 1 units on the same tile. What more graphic representation is needed?
Group movement in my opinion, is very easy to implement. If people at Faraxis does not know how to do this, they can come to Brown Unversity, and I can over-enroll them in my computer science lecture.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old February 12, 2002, 19:17   #42
Slax
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dida

The AI does not need stack movement. They can move each unit individually at speed of light. It is the human player, who needs a break from the damn tedius movement. It does not require any new art work. As of right now, you can already put more than 1 units on the same tile. What more graphic representation is needed?
Group movement in my opinion, is very easy to implement. If people at Faraxis does not know how to do this, they can come to Brown Unversity, and I can over-enroll them in my computer science lecture.
I agree that the AI don't necessarily need stacked movement (I was thinking along the lines of staked combat).

Still in order to add stacked movement you must be able to choose whether a unit is joining or leaving a stack, and you need to know whether a unit is currently stacked or not. These issues could be (poorly) instituted only in the right click menu, but really should have graphical representation much like armies do.
Old February 12, 2002, 19:33   #43
Dida
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Slax
Still in order to add stacked movement you must be able to choose whether a unit is joining or leaving a stack, and you need to know whether a unit is currently stacked or not. These issues could be (poorly) instituted only in the right click menu, but really should have graphical representation much like armies do.
as far as the coding is concerned, these can be easily done if they keep their source code neat enough.
For graphic representation is secondary, and should not be of any technical difficulty.

Old February 12, 2002, 21:19   #44
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

firaxis has already conceded that v.1.17f sucks by naming it v1.17f.

F=failure, fubar, frustrating

Call me when the release a patch with an s

S=super, stupendous, stellar

And no, F does not = finished
Old February 12, 2002, 21:27   #45
TechWins
King

Local Time: 13:29
Quote:
And no, F does not = finished
You're right, I think it means finalized.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old February 12, 2002, 21:54   #46
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 16:29
Lib: I can't review the patch because I took the game back. While I wait for the Gold Edition, however, I await your crystal-clear reviews.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old February 12, 2002, 22:11   #47
TechWins
King

Local Time: 13:29
Quote:
I await your crystal-clear reviews.
I think you meant to a lol smiley and not a regular smiley, am I right?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old February 12, 2002, 22:52   #48
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
Seems legit. This is great news. But at a .01 increment I wonder what it will fix.
I think its going to stop people from captureing 100s of workers and building 2000 pop cities.
Old February 12, 2002, 22:59   #49
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 17:29
I would not expect group movement in this next patch. Most probably, some bug fixes, more things added to the editor, perhaps a new way to fight corruption via an existing improvement, some tweaks on wonders and small wonders and better game performance overall. Let's wait and see.
Old February 13, 2002, 01:08   #50
Dida
Prince

i hope they don't put in those CD-protection crap this time. Last time they did it, and the game stopped working on my CD-R. So I gotta play it on my mom's PC where she has a CD-ROM.
The whole cd-protection thing is just silly, because people can hack it no matter what. I had to modify the original .exe file, because the game freeze the moment I try to run it from my CD-R.

Old February 13, 2002, 10:40   #51
MonsterMan
Warlord

Local Time: 21:29
Quote:
i hope they don't put in those CD-protection crap this time. Last time they did it, and the game stopped working on my CD-R. So I gotta play it on my mom's PC where she has a CD-ROM.
The whole cd-protection thing is just silly, because people can hack it no matter what. I had to modify the original .exe file, because the game freeze the moment I try to run it from my CD-R.
If a player has a legit version of the game, there's nothing wrong with getting a cracked exe from say gamecopyworld.com although those exe's are from fully cracked games, if you use the exe with the legit game you won't have to worry about the CD being in the drive. I did that, in fact... why should I tie up my CD-rom drive to play the game?
Old February 13, 2002, 10:47   #52
MonsterMan
Warlord

Quote:

Dan

It doesn't really matter (to me), there are stand-alone utilities that lets us do this, so I'm happy you focused on bugs instead. But for a future patch, it would be very convenient when playing on maps of Earth ; )
Old February 13, 2002, 11:18   #53
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Lib: I can't review the patch because I took the game back. While I wait for the Gold Edition, however, I await your crystal-clear reviews.
Hm I am too lazy to dig for some of your exchanges that date to the time before Lib switched over to the Dark Side
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old February 13, 2002, 11:33   #54
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
CD protection is useless and annoying. Everytime a patch for a game is released I wait a few days to patch it until I have a crack for the update. Only in certain games (like Civ3) where I can't wait to try out the patch I have to try it from day one the patch is released But it will be annoying to have to have the cd in the drive for two WHOLE days (or how long it takes for them to crack it).
Old February 13, 2002, 11:41   #55
Satis5d
Settler

I'm hoping that they fix the problem of all of my troops being vaporized when a city culture-flips. Take the conscripts and some regulars even, but give me back my veteran and elite troops who are not going to be assimilated regardless.
"I was a young man with unformed ideas. I threw out queries, suggestions, wondering all the time over everything, and to my astonishment, the ideas took like wildfire. People made a religion of them." - Charles Darwin
Old February 13, 2002, 11:51   #56
Dry
Prince

Quote:
They can move each unit individually at speed of light.
Geez, you mean you have an optical computer? Like a cristal or so?
Mine is still electronical, move only at 2/3 speed of light [+ io time]
Old February 13, 2002, 11:51   #57
Cesa
Chieftain

Is there any word on the AI trade bug? (where AI trades during the player's turn). I hope that is fixed.
Old February 13, 2002, 11:58   #58
dr.charm
Chieftain

I really hope that they've fixed more typos in the Civilopedia. That's far more important than things like a real scenario editor or MP or stack movement. I mean *COME ON*, priorties!!!

Cheers,

Dr. Charm

P.S. The word is 'sarcasm'.
Old February 13, 2002, 12:06   #59
tommyd
Settler

Does the patch mean I won't be able to continue my saved game?

Tommy
Old February 13, 2002, 12:20   #60
fittstim
Warlord

Doubtful.

But if it keeps in line with the other patches, then the new patch won't take effect until you start a new game. You can play your old game without any problems.

My guess is that this "new" patch won't add much in terms of new options. It should fix all the errors from the last patch (too numerous to list here)...