v1.17f better have player starting loc's
That's all I have to say.
Old February 12, 2002, 15:48   #2
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 15:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Or we might be forced to use 3rd party utilities that can do this. The horror, the horror...
Old February 12, 2002, 15:59   #3
TechWins
King

Local Time: 13:30
I hope, a lot for Firaxis' sake as well, that the patch lives up to what should become of it. . . I didn't use the word expactations because not many people had expectations for this patch.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old February 12, 2002, 16:02   #4
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 14:30
It's not even out and people are whining. AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old February 12, 2002, 16:05   #5
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

We still have to consider this as work in progress. I think it's too much to hope that "everybodies" personal wish list will be satisfied with this new patch.

Frankly, I'm not expecting any specific feature to be "fixed" or changed. But I do see it as Firaxis's continuing effort to update the game to meet the fan's needs. In the end, many people will still not be satisfied... of that I'm sure of. But, as long as Firaxis continues to support the game... it's going in the right direction.
Old February 12, 2002, 16:08   #6
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 22:30
Because of this pressure on Firaxis we won't get a patch before all this is fixed.

I would like a better editor, but I don't think they should halt the patch flow until they have made full scenario editor. Now they are of releasing a patch not big enough.
Old February 12, 2002, 16:12   #7
TechWins
King

Quote:
We still have to consider this as work in progress. I think it's too much to hope that "everybodies" personal wish list will be satisfied with this new patch.
I have no personal wish list, but I am hoping for some reasonable features to be included, as are others. Such reasonable feature as PSLs should be included, and if they aren't we are going to see a lot of unhappy people strolling these boards.

Quote:
But, as long as Firaxis continues to support the game... it's going in the right direction.
I completely agree with that, however, Firaxis can't slowly patch the game with minimal features continously. Some sort of content has to be included with the next patch for it be a success, agreed upon? Although, I do expect to see some marginal content included with the patch, so for myself it should be a success.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old February 12, 2002, 16:17   #8
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I have no personal wish list, but I am hoping for some reasonable features to be included, as are others. Such reasonable feature as PSLs should be included, and if they aren't we are going to see a lot of unhappy people strolling these boards.
I also hope that some reasonable features are included in this patch. But, some things are just harder to add than others. I truely believe that this patch will address the things they could fix quickly... So if a certain feature isn't included yet... I won't be concerned. I will be concerned if they stop supporting the game before everything is fixed.

Some things will take time... and I'm willing to wait as long as I know that they are still working on them!
Old February 12, 2002, 16:22   #9
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

And by the way, I think they are far past 1.17f by now, as the shipped version was 1.07f, and they had gone to 1.16f since the game went gold, they should be at least at 1.20f with the next patch. (Otherwise they won't have changed mush).

Last edited by Gramphos; February 12, 2002 at 16:43.
Old February 12, 2002, 16:31   #10
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 14:30
Gram, everyone have different standards for versioning.

It does appear that the expansion pack with scenarios/full editor is still a ways off. That's cool.
Old February 12, 2002, 16:36   #11
TechWins
King

Quote:
I also hope that some reasonable features are included in this patch. But, some things are just harder to add than others. I truely believe that this patch will address the things they could fix quickly... So if a certain feature isn't included yet... I won't be concerned. I will be concerned if they stop supporting the game before everything is fixed.
Yes, I too, am happy as long as Firaxis is supporting the game, but than can only last to a certain degree if not much useful content (features) are being added in with the patches. V1.16f, in all honesty, did not add all that much content to Civ3. What I'm getting at is that this patch needs to be a bit more useful than the first one, which I expect to occurr.

Quote:
Some things will take time... and I'm willing to wait as long as I know that they are still working on them!
Not even the least bit am I expecting the game to be completed by this patch, but I am expecting for the game to be improved somewhat by this patch. If that doesn't happen then I think I will finally lose my faith in Civ3 and Firaxis (yup I actually have some).
Old February 12, 2002, 16:49   #12
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

By the way Tech, when are you going to update your desires for... thread?
Old February 12, 2002, 16:52   #13
TechWins
King

Quote:
By the way Tech, when are you going to update your desires for... thread?
I'll start on that tomorrow after we get the readme.
Old February 12, 2002, 17:01   #14
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
I'll start on that tomorrow after we get the readme.
So you will start by removing everything that has been fixed?
Old February 12, 2002, 17:02   #15
Oerdin
Deity

I am looking forward to the release of the new patch but it is not going to be enough to quiet the critics. I expect the patch will fix bugs like air superiority and possibly the god cheat. If we are REALLY lucky then ovious design errors, like the lack of stacking, will be fixed as well.

Anyone who expects more is fooling himself...
Old February 12, 2002, 17:12   #16
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

i won't speculate in what the patch will give. We'll get the readme tomorrow.

I hope the fix the hardcoded foreign advisor leader pics.
Old February 12, 2002, 18:09   #17
siredgar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

Frankly, I'm not expecting any specific feature to be "fixed" or changed. But I do see it as Firaxis's continuing effort to update the game to meet the fan's needs. In the end, many people will still not be satisfied... of that I'm sure of. But, as long as Firaxis continues to support the game... it's going in the right direction.
If it's on " 'everybodies' (sic) " personal list, then it's not really on a "personal" wish list, is it?
Old February 12, 2002, 18:25   #18
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by siredgar
If it's on " 'everybodies' (sic) " personal list, then it's not really on a "personal" wish list, is it?
Everybodies??? Not on mine. Heck, MP is far higher on my list, and I'm not counting on that being in the patch
Old February 12, 2002, 18:30   #19
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

*hopes for no civ specific starting locations in the patch*

Don't ruin the idea of CPT
Old February 12, 2002, 18:32   #20
TechWins
King

Quote:
So you will start by removing everything that has been fixed?
Precisely...hopefully I will be able to remove all of the "5 stars" off of the list.
Old February 12, 2002, 18:33   #21
siredgar
Prince

Ming, face it, multi-player is not coming out on a patch anytime soon and most likely never will.

You'll have to just wait for the Gold version and pay $29.95 one year from now.

On the other hand, specify player starting locations will have to... or else!
Old February 12, 2002, 18:42   #22
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Precisely...hopefully I will be able to remove all of the "5 stars" off of the list.
But why aren't my suggestions from the old (and new) thread in the list?
Old February 12, 2002, 18:44   #23
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Ming, face it, multi-player is not coming out on a patch anytime soon and most likely never will.

You'll have to just wait for the Gold version and pay $29.95 one year from now.
Oh... I'm sure of that (with the exception of what it might cost and the time that it will be available ) I was just using it as an example that EVERYBODY has a different wish list. And while I'm sure that your request is important to you and some others... you seem to thing that most people want it, and that's probably not the case.

Quote:
On the other hand, specify player starting locations will have to... or else!
Or else what... you will not play anymore...
I think that is a very narrow minded point of view. Again, this is work in progress... and I'm sure they will probably add that feature now, or sometime in the future.
Old February 12, 2002, 18:58   #24
siredgar
Prince

Well, I hope you're happy Ming because my "personal wish list" item won't be included in the patch. Now, I'll just have to rely on the ingenuity of people like Gramphos and figure out how to make all the necessary adjustments to do a relatively simple thing for the game.
Old February 12, 2002, 19:01   #25
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 21:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
I hope the fix the hardcoded foreign advisor leader pics.
I hope they also fix the crashes regarding additional Techs with an icon number higher than 82.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old February 12, 2002, 19:03   #26
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Well, I hope you're happy Ming because my "personal wish list" item won't be included in the patch.
Why should I be happy... I was just pointing out that you shouldn't expect too much or "specific" things. I knew my favorite wish item wouldn't be on the list, but you didn't hear me making ulitmatiums.

Again... it's all work in progress. As long as they continue to support the game, most of us will get what we want.
Old February 12, 2002, 19:04   #27
TechWins
King

Quote:
But why aren't my suggestions from the old (and new) thread in the list?
Well, I believe I did include a few of your suggestions from the first thread, but I may not have. For reasons why I may not have look at my first post in the on going patch idea thread. Now the reason why your ideas from the new thread haven't been included is mainly because I have been busy (life) and haven't had much time to add ideas from the new thread. The not so significant reason is because not once did Firaxis reply in that thread acknowledging the list, so I didn't want to waste the little time I had on a list that may have been useless during the past few months. Now Firaxis didn't really have an excuse for not responding in that (a simple acknowledgement of the list being useful is all they had to do) thread because in it's whole entirity it was completely constructive.

After tomorrow I'll get around to updating it, though.
Old February 12, 2002, 19:08   #28
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep

I hope they also fix the crashes regarding additional Techs with an icon number higher than 82.
That is harer to fix then the foreign adisor, as those icon's aren't listed in any text file (but I think thy would do fine in pediaicons.txt)
Old February 13, 2002, 00:46   #29
kimmygibler
Warlord

Everyone must admit that starting locations are an insanely easy thing to fix. I would expect that to fixed in this patch.
Old February 13, 2002, 00:55   #30
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 20:30
Quote:
Originally posted by kimmygibler
Everyone must admit that starting locations are an insanely easy thing to fix. I would expect that to fixed in this patch.
I think Dan said it is NOT in the patch.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.