Old February 13, 2002, 16:09   #31
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 15:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
What was the old squence? What was so bad about it?
It was quite random, yanking you all over the map. It was impossible to conduct a battle campaign or order worker detail without constant and persistent interruptions in your train of thought.

If this is indeed fixed, it represents a monumental interface improvement.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:14   #32
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 14:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
It was quite random, yanking you all over the map. It was impossible to conduct a battle campaign or order worker detail without constant and persistent interruptions in your train of thought.

If this is indeed fixed, it represents a monumental interface improvement.
Since I haven't played Civ3 since a few days after the first patch was released, I had forgotten about that annoying aspect. Not being able to stack workers also made me forget that annoyance too.

But this is indeed promising, if they keep the sequence to the region of the units before moving to a new "area" instead of jumping around.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:16   #33
Libertarian
King

Exactly. It needs first to exhaust a stack, and then activate units sequentially on the proximate stacks, etc., thus allowing you to complete your activities one theater at a time.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:18   #34
Steve Clark
King

Lib, actually I read those when they were three pages long, so I didn't see what came after that. I do recall the one (forgot by whom) what kept updating the first post as new suggestions came in. As a software manager, all I care about is a list of problems to be fixed and stuff to be changed or added. I don't care how one "feels" about them, just state it accurately. But then again, we've gone round and round on this before, haven't we?
Old February 13, 2002, 16:20   #35
Libertarian
King

Apparently not, because I don't disagree with what you just posted.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:21   #36
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 21:31
just wondering, why is it 1.17b (not f)?

imo a good patch
Old February 13, 2002, 16:28   #37
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 22:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Hagbart
just wondering, why is it 1.17b (not f)?

imo a good patch
I think b=beta (the one the testers got)
Old February 13, 2002, 16:32   #38
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Stack movement and improved activation sequence are the hit, no doubt. But haven't seen the "killing last AI ship with settler crashes game" bug being fixed... did I miss that?
Old February 13, 2002, 16:36   #39
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Stack movement and improved activation sequence are the hit, no doubt. But haven't seen the "killing last AI ship with settler crashes game" bug being fixed... did I miss that?
Shouldn't that have been dfixed in version 1.16f?
Old February 13, 2002, 16:37   #40
Cesa
Chieftain

No fix for the AI tech trading bug? Or did I miss it?
Old February 13, 2002, 16:41   #41
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
The ones who feel silly are those who turned a blind eye to the game's faults. The ones who are vindicated are the ones who insisted on the changes that were made.
You are going to take credit for the work they did?

You kill me.

Back on topic. - Sentry mode - Drop shadows - CSU upgradable - Stacks - etc.

Everything looks promising. I'm sure the whiners will find something to whine about though.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:42   #42
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 20:31
I'm...tentatively hopeful... It really looks pretty good! Tho it does sadden me to see that there's only one addition to the editor, and a relatively minor one at that. The Mod-With-No-Name then, will sit on ice a bit longer.

But I will be reinstalling the game to see how this new patch changes/improves things!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:47   #43
Minmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 12:31
how about these?
this isnt a whine or *****ing, just some ideas i want to get out:

i know its could be done by editor i want this to be official: how about giving army unload ability? it will make armies more useful and allow upgrades to those units.

also, one thing that needs to be addressed IMO is how when a trade with another civ is disrupted by something that is totally not my fault, usually because they are in war with some other civ (eg. their trade route is disconnected, their resource becomes disconnected), that civ shouldn't get angry at me and cause the other civs not wanting to trade with me...

also i dont get the "removal of despot rushing" change despite the explanation by the firaxian. did they remove the whole rushing production or only change unhappy citizen rushing exploit?

anyways, this should be a GREAT patch (although i hope despot rushing is not removed entirely) and i appreciate firaxis' work
Old February 13, 2002, 16:47   #44
Libertarian
King

Vel, I sympathize with your need for modding tools. I believe, however, that Firaxis properly prioritized. After all, a mod crippled by a fitful interface will become just as tedious as the regular game.

Clearly, this patch represents a triumph of steady, relentless, and constructive ideas offered by people like you. If this patch is any indication, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a stellar editor just down the pipe.

And Coop, you should be ashamed. Whiners? We have our reward, thank you very much.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:50   #45
Steve Clark
King

The inclusion of custom scenarios and the full editor to be able to create scenarios cannot (imo) simply be a patch. That is why I will patiently wait for the "expansion pack". Perhaps it will be Civ3 MGE with both the scenarios/editor(s) and MP.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:52   #46
MonsterMan
Warlord

Hooray for Firaxis!
I clap my hands at these improvements to the game : ) Even though I never noticed 80% of the problems they fixed. It's a good thing I waited to release my mod, because the update will wipe the slate clean. I will enjoy the mass unit movement, but I still hope for a reworked army concept in a future expansion pack, where armies are free to create and units can hop in and out as they please. But I understand of course that such a feature will take time to do.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:53   #47
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:31
Quote:
I perceived the ordering of unit activation as done by unit functions. Such as: artillery/bombardment units were activated together, regardless of where on earth they were; naval units; 'fast' units; ....

If they resequence somehow to keep on the 'current' screen until all units are moved, that may also take some getting used to in many situations -- 'move unit from side A of map to side B' may keep you at side B when you wanted to move more units from side A, or it may return you to side A when you wanted to remain at side B.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:55   #48
Libertarian
King

Well, we'll know soon enough, I suppose. I hope that it will return proximate to the theater from which it last moved.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:58   #49
godinex
Prince

... without comments.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:59   #50
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Shouldn't that have been dfixed in version 1.16f?
No, I have 1.16f and recently had a unmovable and unsinkable Russian galley 2 tiles away from the last Russian city for the entire rest of the game.

EDIT: Sorry, with "last city" I meant the last city I took; they had no city left.

Last edited by Harovan; February 13, 2002 at 17:15.
Old February 13, 2002, 17:03   #51
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 16:31
It looks pretty solid. The die roll for retreat will make using combined arms more attractive. The activation sequence coupled with stacking will really help out late in the game.

The BIG ONE, though, seems to be pop rushing. I never knew that the unhappiness from poprushing was buggy, and I didn't make extensive use of poprushing anyway (*crack* temple.... *crack* library... switch to republic), but I wonder what impact, if any, this will have on my early game.

Edit: Oh, and military suppression of cultural reversion is pretty big, too. I hope Firaxis lets us know the specifics on that one (1 unit per pop point, 2...3?). People don't like the uncertainty, and will be frustrated until they know for sure.

Here's hoping that a future patch will beef up the editor for the mod & scenario makers.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 13, 2002, 17:04   #52
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 20:31
Thank ya Lib! And good to see you back in these parts! Mail me sometime soon and tell me all about the new job and such!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 13, 2002, 17:05   #53
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:

No, I have 1.16f and recently had a unmovable and unsinkable Russian galley 2 tiles away from the last Russian city for the entire rest of the game.
Well, at least the SAVs doesn't corrupt any more when sinking that ship
Old February 13, 2002, 17:12   #54
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Those "professional-like discussions" were so inane and childish that Mark gutted them out, eviscerating whole posts.
eeer what on earth are you talking about? i only edited the faq thread(for obvious reasons). nothing to do with the suggestions/bugs threads....
Old February 13, 2002, 17:17   #55
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Well, at least the SAVs doesn't corrupt any more when sinking that ship
But it crashes the game.
Old February 13, 2002, 17:19   #56
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
But it crashes the game.
Details, details.

I've never un into that problem myself, but I guess I've just been lucky.
Old February 13, 2002, 17:32   #57
Libertarian
King

Quote:
Thank ya Lib! And good to see you back in these parts! Mail me sometime soon and tell me all about the new job and such!
Will do, Vel.

Quote:
eeer what on earth are you talking about? i only edited the faq thread(for obvious reasons). nothing to do with the suggestions/bugs threads....
I stand corrected.

While you're at it, though, you might want to do a bit of editing in this thread.
Old February 13, 2002, 17:35   #58
Harovan
staff

Gramphos:

Well, I destroyed the last Russian city, but Russia was not yet defeated. Then I saw a Russian galley 2 tiles from the last taken Russian city, probably with a settler and Cathy. I had heard before, that there was a bug, saved the game and sunk the galley. A message popped up, that the Russians have been destroyed, after which the game crashed. The galley did not move for the whole game, as there was no room to settle. After a time, I managed to make peace with Cathy. In the end of industrial age some wars with razing made room to settle. I gave Cathy my map for free (she had no gold anyway), thought she would move and settle, but no. She remained in her galley and voted against me in the UN. Had to launch the Space ship.

Happened about 2 weeks ago with 1.16f.
Old February 13, 2002, 17:36   #59
ACooper
Prince

Quote:

And Coop, you should be ashamed. Whiners? We have our reward, thank you very much.
Ashamed of what?

Glad you feel that you are rewarded.

Back to topic:

It looks like it's only stack movement, not stack commands. (Is that the way anybody else reads it?)

I must have read over this earlier, but having Civilopedia links in the diplomacy window may be te best improvement in the whole patch.

Also the fix that stops AI civs from building more cities once the city limit is reached may be a real sleeper that may have a lot more impact to gameplay than most would expect.

"Fixed bug which caused some govenment buildings not to function properly." - Anybody know what this means?
Old February 13, 2002, 17:41   #60
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
* Added Sentry command: y = wake whenever next to friendly or enemy unit(s) / shift+y = wake whenever next to enemy unit(s).
* Added stack movement. Hitting 'j' will produce the goto cursor. Once you select a destination, every unit of the active unit's type in that square will move to the specified location. Air units of the same type will attempt to rebase.
I really hope that they have added the equivalent screenbuttons for above as well. Im a mouseclick-man myself.

Im curious about "active units type". Obviously they are refering to land/sea/air branches only, and not to indevidual unit-types. One should (of course) be able to move around mixed stacks of, for example, land-units. Also, one should be able to stack non-combat units, as well. Navigating hordes of inefficient (especially under non-industrial Civs) foreign captured workers, one by one, is really somewhat of a chore.

Last edited by Ralf; February 13, 2002 at 18:03.