Emperor

Local Time: 22:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
STACK MOVMENT in 1.17f YEEEEEEEES!!!!!
Look readme at Civfanatic forums.
Old February 13, 2002, 15:30   #2
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 21:32
How can this thread have a 5-star rating when there´s no replys? :

But other than that, yay!
Old February 13, 2002, 15:59   #3
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 14:32
Until someone comes up with a good argument why there shouldn't be stacks (and I'm talking about stacks that work, don't ask "what if it's buggy" or anything silly like that), then this thread deserves 5 stars. I don't care if it's been mentioned in other threads.

It deserves its own.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:03   #4
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 22:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
I don't care if it's been mentioned in other threads.
In fact, it is FIRST posted at this thread (not counting civfanatics).
Old February 13, 2002, 16:43   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:32
I am pleasently surprised because I, honestly, didn't expect Firaxis to address this until the expansion pack was released. Hopefully, they can now concentrate on adding more techs, governments, and unit types in the expansion pack. That would round out the game and really improve the late game.
Old February 13, 2002, 16:48   #6
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
Until someone comes up with a good argument why there shouldn't be stacks (and I'm talking about stacks that work, don't ask "what if it's buggy" or anything silly like that), then this thread deserves 5 stars. I don't care if it's been mentioned in other threads.

It deserves its own.
But I thought the rating of threads should be based on the actual content of the thread, the fact that it conveys good news doesn´t enter into it.
Old February 13, 2002, 17:06   #7
godinex
Prince

How can I be part of the apolyton comunism party? Comrade
Old February 13, 2002, 17:09   #8
godinex
Prince

hmmmm? HOW !!!!?????
Old February 13, 2002, 18:45   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Stacked movement deserves its own thread, as virtually everyone who plays (or has played) Civ 3 wants it.

Stacked Movement
Old February 13, 2002, 18:45   #10
Zoid
inmate

Quote:
Originally posted by godinex
How can I be part of the apolyton comunism party? Comrade
Just put member of the Communist Party of Apolyton in the location box in your profile. Welcome aboard, Comrade!
Old February 13, 2002, 20:05   #11
klesh
King

Local Time: 16:32
* Added stack movement. Hitting 'j' will produce the goto cursor. Once you select a destination, every unit of the active unit's type in that square will move to the specified location. Air units of the same type will attempt to rebase. *

Okay, so this begets a question. What do they mean by unit type? Do they mean role as in Land/Air/Sea? Or is this more like unit type as in Spearman archer etc?

For instance if one clicks a stack and tells all the 'land' units to move 3 squares away... will entire the stack move to the ammount of the slowest unit (thus remaining in a stack) as if you were selecting all land units? Or will it take all horsement and move them, then all swordsmen and move them etc... such that your stack may be thinned out due to differing movement values?

-FMK.
Old February 13, 2002, 22:16   #12
Daniel Frappier
Prince

Local Time: 20:32
The way i understand it if i have 6 legions and 3 horsemen in Rome and i want to move 4 legions and 2 horsemen (keeping whats left for defense) i will have to

1) do 4 manual moves from Rome to an adjacent sqare for my legions

2) do 2 manual moves for my horses from Rome to an adjacent sqare

3) GoTo my 4 legions to destination (that's 1 move)

4) GoTo my 2 horsemen to destination (that's 1 move)

5) Well 4 doesn't work because my horses will go faster than my legions and will be left unprotected so i have to move them manually every turn so they stay on the same tile as my legions.

I don't want to break the party but THIS IS A SAD JOKE!!

i hope they implement real stacks in an expansion pack.
Old February 13, 2002, 22:19   #13
Daniel Frappier
Prince

unless they changed the definition a Unit Type always was a Phalanx, a Warrior, etc. etc.
Old February 13, 2002, 22:21   #14
Leonidas
King

I mentioned this elsewhere, so please forgive me for posting the same thing in this thread regarding "stacked movement".

The Stack Command is really just a pseudo "stack command".

Let me explain:

The patch readme states that only units of the SAME TYPE within the stack will move to the designated location. So if you are being sensible and have a variety of DIFFERENT units, you will have to give them ALL individual unit commands. So much for stacked movement. . .

If you want to implement the so-called "stack movement", you'll have to make sure that all your stacks contain the EXACT SAME UNIT. So much for combined arms. . .

Last edited by Leonidas; February 13, 2002 at 22:26.
Old February 13, 2002, 22:24   #15
Encomium
Warlord

Local Time: 15:32
Leonidas,

Yea, indeed. So much for the new patch.

When will Firaxis figure out that warships CAN be sunk by bombers?? I know the movie "Pearl Harbor" stunk, but Sid should go see it.
Old February 13, 2002, 22:26   #16
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Encomium
Leonidas,

Yea, indeed. So much for the new patch.

When will Firaxis figure out that warships CAN be sunk by bombers?? I know the movie "Pearl Harbor" stunk, but Sid should go see it.
Broken record alert!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 13, 2002, 22:39   #17
Leonidas
King

I have recently been playing CTP2 with the Apolyton Pack Mod.

In this game they have implemented real stacked movement:

1) You can make an army containing up to 12 units of ALL types (a combined arms army that could include archers, hoplites, cavalry, seige weapons, etc). These 12 units then MOVE AS ONE UNIT anywhere you want subject to terrain movement. . .

So if you have 48 military units, you can group them into 4 armies, so that you only have to physically move just four units. . .

2) Units can be added to, or removed from, the army at ANY TIME. You do not even have to be in a city. In addition, each army can itself be divided into smaller armies, so that a 12 unit army could be divided into two 6 unit armies, or into three 4 unit armies, etc. . .

And it's all so easy to do: all actions can be given to the army or to any individual units within that army from a small panel screen

3) When the army attacks, it attacks as an ARMY, meaning all the units attack at the same time, so that each unit can complement the abilities of other units. For example, hoplites are found in the front line, archers in the rear, cavalry on the flanks. . .

4) When this army is a defender in a city, other defensive bonuses kick in depending on what improvements you have made to the city, such as adding walls, towers, etc. . .

5) The game's AI has been beefed up making it more aggressive. It too will use armies. Playing as Rome, I have been continually attacked by AI combined arms armies, meaning it knows how to put together an army with the right units for the job it wants to do. . .

It all really adds to the strategy. I love this feature! It seems so natural for this type of game. It's what all civers have been clamouring for. . .

Yet, why is it so difficult to have in Civ 3?

Last edited by Leonidas; February 13, 2002 at 22:57.
Old February 13, 2002, 22:45   #18
MOHonor
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
Well you mean beyond because it's a different game?

More like 12 year old alert.
Old February 13, 2002, 22:48   #19
Leonidas
King

Double Post - Sorry
Old February 13, 2002, 22:58   #20
GePap
Emperor

Better than none
While the movement regime being brought in by Fixaris is not 'true' stack movement, it is still a huge help. As far as i know, most conquering types use only fast units to attack, and since there is really only one fast unit per age, really, this will still make the lives of conquerors, or just somebody with 200 workers, much simpler.
As for Leonidas's points- I think that a while ago, most people who wanted stacked movement gave up on stacked combat.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 13, 2002, 23:01   #21
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Yes, it seems to me this is FAR from actual stacked movement. Once the buzz wears off around here, I think you'll realize that your big stack of units will still require you to move several mini-groups AND you'll get the added bonus (one can guess) of seeing each unit within those mini-groups moving to the square one by one (even if that isn't the case and the units warp into place as a group, this isn't true stacked movement).

Folks, this is a cobbled attempt at stacked movement. Let's hope they can implement the real thing over the next months.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old February 13, 2002, 23:08   #22
MOHonor
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Yes, it seems to me this is FAR from actual stacked movement. Once the buzz wears off around here, I think you'll realize that your big stack of units will still require you to move several mini-groups AND you'll get the added bonus (one can guess) of seeing each unit within those mini-groups moving to the square one by one (even if that isn't the case and the units warp into place as a group, this isn't true stacked movement).

Folks, this is a cobbled attempt at stacked movement. Let's hope they can implement the real thing over the next months.
It's probably worth mentioning once AGAIN that yin26 neither enjoys, owns or plays Civilization III.

Reader discretion is advised.
Old February 14, 2002, 01:05   #23
Libertarian
King

MO, you're living proof that owning the game doesn't qualify a person about diddly.

Yin, I don't understand. Why isn't this group movement implementation satisfactory to you? In other words, how would it be possible to implement movement of units that don't move the same?
Old February 14, 2002, 01:12   #24
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

While the Firaxis language is a bit vague at this point, I think what they have done is this: Instead of treating the entire stack of units as a true stack, they have allowed you to automate the moving of 'same kind' units to a given location.

This means, for example, if you have a stack of 3 warriors, 2 knights, and 4 spearmen, EACH of those groups will still have to be ordered to move using 'j' ... and I imagine that you will see each individual unit moving.

In this case, 9 units will be see moving across the map after clicking and pressing 'j' 3 times to move what really SHOULD BE one stack of units. Sure, this might be nice for workers, but not much else.

I should be able to click on the stack, designate some or all units to be grouped, and move THE WHOLE DAMN thing in one click. Right?

Old February 14, 2002, 01:18   #25
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MOHonor

Well you mean beyond because it's a different game?

More like 12 year old alert.

MO:

Have you played CTP2?

Have you played Civ 3?

BTW, thanks for alerting me to the fact that you're a 12 year old.

It explains alot. . .
Old February 14, 2002, 01:25   #26
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
I should be able to click on the stack, designate some or all units to be grouped, and move THE WHOLE DAMN thing in one click. Right?

yin26:

You're so right.

Maybe one day we will have the technology. . .
Old February 14, 2002, 01:28   #27
Libertarian
King

Quote:
Again, I ask, how is that possible? How would you handle the nondeterminism as a programmer? Those units move different numbers of tiles. Surely, you wouldn't penalize the tanks by having them move only however far the spearman could move, would you?
Old February 14, 2002, 01:34   #28
korn469
Emperor

firaxis already has a good system for stacked movement, it's not perfect but it is good...that system is called armies with some improvements it could satisfy most of the players stacked movement needs

Leonidas

Quote:
Units can be added to, or removed from, the army at ANY TIME. You do not even have to be in a city.
it's a bug, but you can load units in an army anywhere on the map in civ3, and this is how it should be

Quote:
Units can be added to, or removed from, the army at ANY TIME
there should be limits on this in civ3, so you can't continuously adding fresh units to an army and abusing the system, but it should be possible to unload, and to upgrade units in the army

Quote:
The game's AI has been beefed up making it more aggressive. It too will use armies. Playing as Rome, I have been continually attacked by AI combined arms armies, meaning it knows how to put together an army with the right units for the job it wants to do
the civ3 AI will take advantage of armies, it uses them in my mod quite frequently...but with the default civ3 rules, you are better off not using armies, so the AI is actually making a good decision

Quote:
When the army attacks, it attacks as an ARMY, meaning all the units attack at the same time, so that each unit can complement the abilities of other units. For example, hoplites are found in the front line, archers in the rear, cavalry on the flanks
while i don't think that the CtP2 combined arms system is perfect, i would like to see something like this in civ3, and instead of forming an army great leaders should build generals instead that you could attach to an army for a bonus, something like maybe a 25-50% bonus, but once you turn a great leader into a general then it couldn't ever build a wonder

Quote:
When this army is a defender in a city, other defensive bonuses kick in depending on what improvements you have made to the city, such as adding walls, towers, etc
defensive bonuses kick in with civ3 as well, or am i missing something here?

Quote:
if i only knew

ps

Quote:
I have recently been playing CTP2 with the Apolyton Pack Mod
wouldn't an unmodded CtP vs. Civ3 and a modded CtP vs. Civ3 comparision be more fair?

but i agree civ3 still has lots of rough edges, and if Infogrames had of listened to me and released civ3 next month after a long open beta test where we could have all tore civ3 apart then helped firaxis fix it i'm sure it would have been much better

oh well maybe better luck next time
Old February 14, 2002, 01:36   #29
Libertarian
King

Quote:
firaxis already has a good system for stacked movement, it's not perfect but it is good...that system is called armies with some improvements it could satisfy most of the players stacked movement needs
Wrong.

Aside from the fact that armies cannot accomodate ships, planes, and workers, they suffer from the very problem that I'm talking to Yin about: they are as efficient in movement as their weakest unit. Armies serve a purpose as uber-units, nothing more.
Old February 14, 2002, 01:39   #30
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
Again, I ask, how is that possible? How would you handle the nondeterminism as a programmer? Those units move different numbers of tiles. Surely, you wouldn't penalize the tanks by having them move only however far the spearman could move, would you?
That's PRECISELY how I would handle it. This is also a concern actual armies must face. Thus, if you *must* get somewhere fast, don't stack with slower units.

Heck, it even hints at some kind of strategic decision!