Old December 11, 2000, 05:50   #1
Stuff2
Warlord

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Special improvements
An advanced nation can always build improvements in less developed civs for a modest sum of money. It should be an diplomatic option:

- "We wish to build a Hydro plant in Tokyo and we need your expertice, we are willing to pay you 1300 gold for the job and we will supply the workers and the materials".

or

- "Seems to us that a Hydro plant in Calcutta will benefit it's industry and it's enviroment and we are willing to supply the expertice for a modest sum of money"
Old December 11, 2000, 09:36   #2
Deathwalker
Prince

I think this could be an interesting idea, instead of giving money you could build something for them.

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old December 11, 2000, 14:41   #3
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Death is right, this is an interesting idea.

I kinda like it, building someone elses buildings, instead of giving money. That seems very realistic.
Old December 11, 2000, 14:51   #4
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:35
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Added to that, you get a portion of the benefits of the improvments you build. You can only build certain improvments, though. Ex. factories, market places, banks, etc. Not allowed to build things like power plants, Man. plants, stock markets, research labs, or other things that are too powerful. The improvments you can build could depend on the tech level of the civ you are building for.

If you started to have bad times with that civ, you could relinquish support for those improvments, and they would have to put up x-sheilds in order to use those facilities again.

Or if that civ had enough money, they could buy the improvment, or as a diplomatic option you could relinquish control of an improvment over to that civ.
[This message has been edited by airdrik (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old December 12, 2000, 06:56   #5
Stuff2
Warlord

I don't know what improvements will be included and how civ3 will work but if this would be implemented in civ2 it would work like this: In order to actually build the improvement the city should have been able to do it on itself if it had the tech for it. FE no bank unless a marketplace already are built. Also, when a city builds an improvement with foreign expertice it's still that city that will build it 'the normal way' gathering shields from it's own terrain, as it had the technology which it don't.

I think that any improvement can be built, if the prereq improvements are already built. In reality it's often 'the too powerful things' that are actually built this way. It's up to the player if you wan't to help or conquer your neighbours. Helping a weak ally can, atleast in civ2, be a good investment for your economic development.

Certain improvements needs special hard researched technologies. I think that atleast in lategame, the tech tree should develop in many different ways.
Old December 12, 2000, 07:13   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
This could be a very good way of handling pollution controls. Advanced nations would not only be under pressure to introduce green measures in their own cities but to build environmentally friendly advances in developing nations who do not yet have the tech to curb their burgeoning pollution. I can't see it working as anything more complicated than a rush-buy gift though unless Civ3 allows a city to build or help build items elsewhere. Relying on the receiving city's own productive capacity is likely to result in unsatisfactory results.

Incidentally, I do think it would be terrific if multiple cities could co-operate on joint projects. Civ2 had the caravan option to help with Wonder building, but a more sophisticated version would be even better.