King

Local Time: 15:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by m_m_x
so far so good
new additions working great!
no crashes!
no shadow under pop number the good old beautiful clean map is back again!!!!

never thought stack movement will make such a different playing the game, i can tell u that its absolutely amazing!!!!so easy,so fast,wow!!

and i have a question, why im getting a railroad gfx after razing cites?-the railroad suddenly appears in the tile where the city was. (and i cant build railroads yet)
As for stack movement, you're welcome, on behalf of all the steadfast critics.

As for railroads, if the civ whose city you razed had railroads, then the city tile would have had one.
Old February 14, 2002, 19:44   #32
Libertarian
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MonsterMan

Geez, I figured that out yesterday by reading the changes 1.17f does to the editor ; )
Oh.

Well, thanks. You've been helpful.
Old February 14, 2002, 19:47   #33
Dutch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:35
Too bad the FTP server allows a mere 100 simultanous connections. Still trying ...
Old February 14, 2002, 19:49   #34
Dutch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Forget it.

Found it at firaxis.com.
Old February 14, 2002, 20:06   #35
Adam Wallock
Settler

Local Time: 12:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian

As for stack movement, you're welcome, on behalf of all the steadfast critics.
I am astounded that you are taking credit for this. Loud, incessant whining does not count as actual effort toward programming new features. Geez.
Old February 14, 2002, 20:16   #36
Libertarian
King

Uh huh, I suppose you're right. It must have been those who insisted the game is flawless who inspired the improvements we now have.
Old February 14, 2002, 20:31   #37
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 14:35
Come on, Lib, you know it was the suggestion that was put (by you?) into Tech's thread (along with a million others) that they worked from. They ignored the rest.
Old February 14, 2002, 20:37   #38
Libertarian
King

That might be plausible were it not impossible. As I reported a few days before the read-me release, I (and a few others) already knew what some of the changes would likely be. I knew also where most of the influence came from. And no, I can't tell.
Old February 14, 2002, 20:40   #39
Steve Clark
King

I know, my friend.
Old February 14, 2002, 21:33   #40
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I thought it was taking a long time, but looks like they were quiet when doing the thing and then springing it on us by surprise Just sorting out the editor problem, but glad to see it was noticed quickly

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old February 14, 2002, 21:50   #41
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Nice. Now that I have the patch, looks like I'll have to revisit civ3.

Old February 14, 2002, 21:55   #42
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 22:35
You said it was Friday, and I've been out all night. Noe there is no time to test the patch.
Old February 14, 2002, 22:22   #43
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:35
Well, I downloaded and installed the latest patch....now my Civ3 files are all set for the eventual release of the Multiplayer Gold Edition!

Actually, since you can't play Civ3 with another human player (yet), I've been bideing my time waiting for the MP release. Have I played single-player Civ3? Actually, yes - when I initially purchased the game...but I "prefer" multiplayer, and the single-player games got old rather quickly...

Has anyone heard anything about the release of the multiplayer add-on - except the general "spring/summer 2002" release?
Old February 14, 2002, 23:35   #44
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 16:35
The patch is also now available as a "local" download from the Apolyton server (see CivIII section). The updated and integrated patch (including the editor) will be available soon.

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old February 14, 2002, 23:52   #45
Encomium
Warlord

Looking at all the problems and bugs supposedly corrected with 1.17 (just some of the many problems with the game) it occurs to me that Firaxis should have playtested this last Summer not subjected us to ongoing patching.

As for the local download, I read this caveat:

"In addition, according to Firaxis` Jeff Morris, the wrong editor was included in v1.17F and until the patch can be updated from its official (Infogrames`) download location [see story below], you can also download it (2.2MB) here from Apolyton. Morris also indicates that the said editor will be available as a separate download too from the official source soon. - DanQ".

What does that mean, besides Firaxis messing up the patch? Is 1.17F COMPLETE? Or does it need an ADDITIONAL separate download of something else? I think I'll wait awhile.

Last edited by Encomium; February 14, 2002 at 23:57.
Old February 15, 2002, 00:43   #46
Avahz_D

Error Error bep bep bep
As I was jumping through the CS Units I noted that some of them were upgrading wrong or not at all. And this is even with the updated editor that I got off the main page.

1. Legions are upgrading to Immortals.
2. Immortals have no upgrade.
3. Rider upgrading to Samurai.
4. Samurai upgrading to War Elephants.
5. Swordman are upgrading to Legionaries.
6. Horseman to mounted warriors.
7. Musketman to Musketeer
8. Knight to Rider
9. Cavalry to Cossak

Just FYI....

Old February 15, 2002, 01:04   #47
Dienstag
Warlord

Local Time: 20:35
You never could upgrade immortals, right?

1, 3, and 4 - I can't explain, unless they expect to implement unit trading.(?)
5,6,7,8,9 - This may be necessary for the new upgrade-to-a-UU feature. I'm still downloading patch, but if so I would expect to also see jet fighter -> F-15 upgrade, for example.

Bad deal for the Germans, who will still have to build every single Panzer, which now has a lower chance of successfully retreating. Here come's another round of strategy threads!
Old February 15, 2002, 02:29   #48
egovalor
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian

The UU was the "Freedom Fighter" (equivalent to French Muskateer). Some of the Great Leaders were Ludwig von Mises, Bastiat, F. A. von Hayek, and Thomas Jefferson. The name of the civ was Libertaria, and its capital was Liberty. Cities included Independence, Commerce, and Freedom, among others.

I also had a Libertarian government, wherein workers were extremely productive but cost quite a bit. It took me a while to tweak everything (a few days, actually). So [shrug...]

Well I guess you could use th Joan Arc Animation as Ayn Rand and she could be the leader. It could be her...well, no.
Old February 15, 2002, 02:36   #49
TechWins
King

Local Time: 13:35
Yes Lib, you and the rest of the repetitive criticizers were the sole reason for stack movement being implemented in this patch. Oh yeah, not to mention all of the effort Yin put into this patch becoming what it is.

I should note that I have nothing against Yin. No comment about Lib.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old February 15, 2002, 02:53   #50
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 06:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Can the early downloaders please confirm the patch works?

Also, does it work in saved games?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old February 15, 2002, 04:20   #51
muppet
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:35
Re: Error Error bep bep bep
Quote:
Originally posted by Avahz_D
As I was jumping through the CS Units I noted that some of them were upgrading wrong or not at all. And this is even with the updated editor that I got off the main page.

1. Legions are upgrading to Immortals.
2. Immortals have no upgrade.
3. Rider upgrading to Samurai.
4. Samurai upgrading to War Elephants.
5. Swordman are upgrading to Legionaries.
6. Horseman to mounted warriors.
7. Musketman to Musketeer
8. Knight to Rider
9. Cavalry to Cossak

Just FYI....
Each unit can only be upgraded to 1 other unit. Therefore the upgrade path is probably now presented as, eg:

chariot, war chariot, horseman, mounted warrior, knight, rider, samurai, war elephant, calvary, cossack.

This would permit full upgrading to and from UU's, and then the program utilizes the civ can build option to limit what can actually be built by whom.
Old February 15, 2002, 06:07   #52
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Also, does it work in saved games?
As far as I can see it at this point, all works as described. Also, I had no trouble with 1.16f savegames (only that my Panzers are now losing much more often ).
Old February 15, 2002, 06:31   #53
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dienstag
Bad deal for the Germans, who will still have to build every single Panzer, which now has a lower chance of successfully retreating. Here come's another round of strategy threads!
I never had a problem with that. After upcoming of Infantry, Cavalry is nearly obsolete anyway. When building Panzers, my cities are already high-productive. Unless I am short of units, I like to disband as many old Cavalries in the Panzer building city as is needed to complete the Panzer in 1 turn.

Usually I have 1 Cavalry army at this time, which I keep as something like "police" against foreign pillagers, when I fight a war.
Old February 15, 2002, 09:41   #54
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 16:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Yes, I've used it and I have no desire to smoke cigarettes anymore.
Old February 15, 2002, 13:52   #55
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam Wallock

I am astounded that you are taking credit for this. Loud, incessant whining does not count as actual effort toward programming new features. Geez.

Nicely said!
Old February 15, 2002, 14:48   #56
soufie77
Chieftain

Looks like Firaxis have finally delivered, and how great it is to see they actually listen. Maybe all that whining and yelling in the forums DOES serve a purpose (besides giving me a headache). Anyhows, the patch seems to work fine. No crashes, but I have yet to notice a performance improvement. Anyone else disagree?
Old February 15, 2002, 16:49   #57
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 22:35
Quote:
Originally posted by soufie77
Looks like Firaxis have finally delivered, and how great it is to see they actually listen. Maybe all that whining and yelling in the forums DOES serve a purpose
or maybe the whining was unnecessary since they heard it the first time?
Old February 15, 2002, 17:08   #58
Libertarian
King

Maybe they heard. Maybe they didn't. If only there were some way we could have known. But alas, how?
Old February 15, 2002, 19:19   #59
Bloodaxe
Settler

Local Time: 06:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
*coughnocdpatchanyone?cough*
http://dl.gamecopyworld.com/dl.cgi?C...on_3_117f_nocd!ace
Old February 15, 2002, 21:22   #60
cgaydos
Settler

Comments on patch 1.17f
I see the patch has been removed from the website. Probably due to several bugs. Here's the good and the bad that I found last night:

1) Bug: You can now unload units from an Army.

Of course, this is quite unintentional, and will I'm sure be fixed
in the next patch. But if you use the new stack command for
movement, you can unload units from an Army.

The stack command works like goto but with a 'j'. It moves all units of the same type *including* those in an army, if an army is on the same square, leaving the rest of the army in the original location.

A word of caution: this puts the game in a funny state. The units
that were in the army only move one square, and if you try then to select the army it may highlight another unit, although the if you hit an arrow key the army moves. Eventually, the game may crash. The solution is to remove the units, save the game and reload it. This clears the memory.

2) Not mentioned in readme: Science advance happens at begin of turn. Good change, as while going through the begin-of-turn sequence you can now order your cities to build improvements made possible by the science advancement.

3) Ability to prevent a city from reverting works great ... maybe
even better than they intended. I'm playing emperor in the early
space age and took out a large Chinese civ with NO reverts. And I did not have to put one unit per resistor, but usually just a 1:3
ratio of units:resisters.

4) The change to have a dice roll for "fast" units to decide whether they retreat really increases attrition. The vast majority of my attacks were modern armor against infantry ... I lost a lot more units than would have previously. Also, the tendency for absurd combat results may have increased slightly. In my first two battles veteran modern armor lost while attacking veteran calvary on no-defense-bonus squares and on their first move. 24 attack, 2 defense. Sure, I understand.

5) Didn't see any benefit from the claimed performance improvements (sigh).

6) Also undocumented: Workers are now automatically sent to clean pollution until last pollution is gone. Before, only two workers per polluted square were automatically sent to clean pollution. I like this change, but others might not.

7) There is a change so that when new units are built you get a
banner over the city instead of a pop-up requiring a response. I
expect this is now a preference, but I didn't explore as I like this
feature. FWIW, I previously set the preference to have the city
always build the same unit again.

8) There are a few funny bugs being reported. In my game new workers are identified as "Worker (Iroquois)", which is my tribe, rather than just a "Worker". However, newly captured workers are identified as only "Worker." Workers I captured or built before I installed the patch still are identified as before.