Old February 26, 2002, 10:59   #271
watorrey
Warlord

Local Time: 15:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by bj
A few things have had me pounding my fists on the desk in frustration since i started playing civ3, unlikely combat results is one. For this case I didnt though, it's that unbelievably ridiculous, and consistent, that it's obvious it's a bug.

An army with 3 cossacks 13/14 attacking a CONSCRIPT rifleman in the iroquois capital. The first point of damage is usually made in the first 2 strikes, but then the army is defeated entirely, at which point the rifleman becomes Regular (and is then defeatable). Check out the save yourself, load, end turn, select army in stack outside city and attack. I did this at least 6 times in a row. IIRC I'd already defeated a number of conscripts with the other cossacks in the stack, suggesting it could be an army problem ?
No bug. You had an unlucky roll of the die. In an effort to prevent exactly what you were doing (reloading and trying again) the random seed is saved with the game. The only way to change the results of that battle is to not fight it on that turn, in that order.

You may notice the same thing with other things. Like planting spies. If it doesn't work the first time, it isn't going to work at all that turn.

Firaxis should document these things for casual gamers. The not-so-casual gamers have it figured out quickly enough that it becomes no big secret anyway.
Old February 26, 2002, 11:00   #272
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

it saved the random seed the game used to generate that result so it will not matter how many times you attack the rifleman with the army.
Old February 26, 2002, 11:19   #273
bj
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:35
Right. my bad. thanks

Pretty unlucky role of the die though. I'll remember to pound those fists next time. I nearly broke a few bones when a longbowman lost an attack flawlessly but a pikeman won (attacked in frustration).
Old February 26, 2002, 13:41   #274
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:35
I installed the 1.17f patch and began a new game. I can't use the science advisor screen. I can display it, it doesn't crash the game, but clicking on the boxes has no effect. I can select projects using the pop-up box that appears at the end of each project, but I like to look at the diagram when I make my research selection.
Old February 26, 2002, 19:08   #275
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 07:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by bj
Check out the save yourself, load, end turn, select army in stack outside city and attack. I did this at least 6 times in a row.
The save file includes the random number seed, so if you load up the save file and do the exact same thing, you will get the exact same result. Does it work if you change the order of the combat?
Old February 26, 2002, 23:21   #276
wtiger
Settler

No extra shields for Industrious!
I'm playing as the French (Regent, standard Earth map) and I've noticed that I don't get the one shield bonus for my capital of size 8... I do get the one commerce bonus, though.

I thought it was due to me being in Despotism, but I've changed to Monarchy and still no extra shield. It wouldn't have been such a big deal, but I'm stuck in the wonder race and need to catch up with some religious civs.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Last edited by wtiger; February 27, 2002 at 08:47.
Old February 26, 2002, 23:32   #277
Aqualung
Chieftain

Strangelove:

I had problems with that, too. I was trying to set a path to Music Theory, and I had to click forever for it to switch.

I'm playing Persia, I've got a Babylonian Worker. On the pop-up menu, it says "Activate Bablyonian Worker", but in the info window, it says "Worker (Persian)".
Old February 27, 2002, 00:57   #278
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 04:35
Is there a list of all the actual bugs?

I'm asking cause I've seen one bug (food shortage is not indicated even if you eliminate all the food sources), but I don't know if it has been mentioned before.
Old February 27, 2002, 01:36   #279
Alphamale
Settler

Local Time: 14:35
1.17f patch bugs
Issue_Description: At between 800-1100 AD, the system crashes and says approximately "CivIII has generated errors, program will shut down and you must restart, writing error log file" Then after sometime the "ok" option appears and I can reclose the file. However, the saved file from before the crash will yeild the same crash. I have duplicated this problem three times by starting the game from scratch. Thank you in advance for your help. I love the game, but I have a business to run and have very limited time to enjoy this terrific game.

Brand: Jem
CPU: Intel P4 - 1.7
RAM: 262
Video_Card: MIS MS-StarForce
Sound_Card: Sound Blaster
CD-ROM_Drive: CD-R
Modem: DSL
Other_Peripherals: SanDisk, Iomega UBS 250, tape backup, 10 network

Game_Name: Civ III, 1.17f patch

General_Problem: Lock Ups/crash

This is the last Dr. Watson error log dump is attached.
Attached Files:
File Type: txt drwtsn32short.txt (17.9 KB, 5 views)

That which does not kill me makes me stronger!
Old February 27, 2002, 08:47   #280
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 21:35
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
(16) Switching production should not be impossible after bonus shields from clearing a forest
(17) A tile improvement doesn't show until the next turn, but it counts this turn
Edit: this only when you have workers working for more than 1 turn, otherwise it does show
(18) It would be nice to have a way of knowing the number of turns needed for a tile improvement in progress to be completed
Edit: ok left-clicking works, but if you have a lot of workers it would be nice to see it on the map
(19) Workers that are superfluous for completing an improvement of the same tile should get free immediately
[i]Edit: they do when the work is completed by assigning additional workers
(20) The above should be optimized with regard to the selection of which worker will finish the job (my productive one or that slow slave worker) (Civ2 had the same problem with Settler/Engineer teams)

Last edited by Ribannah; March 11, 2002 at 07:14.
Old February 27, 2002, 18:50   #281
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:35
Three things Ive noticed:

Armies split when using the stack movement ability.

some computer civs may be going to far with their pop rushing, reducing their nation into a bunch of size 1 cities.

Experienced a spot on the map where units would always end up at if your trying to move a long distances.
Old February 27, 2002, 22:47   #282
wtiger
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
(18) It would be nice to have a way of knowing the number of turns needed for a tile improvement in progress to be completed
Click on the worker doing the improvement. A dialog box will pop up telling you the number of turns the worker needs to complete that improvement. It will also give you the option for the worker to stop doing that improvement.
Old February 28, 2002, 01:47   #283
Rust
Chieftain

Now I understand why they pop rush so much when their losing. Was just roasted by a bunch of mad vultures. Do the other civs have a problem with militaristic civs, cause the japs were rushed by everyone than I was playing as Romans.
Old February 28, 2002, 13:05   #284
pauli
Prince

Local Time: 16:35
Quote:
Click on the worker doing the improvement. A dialog box will pop up telling you the number of turns the worker needs to complete that improvement. It will also give you the option for the worker to stop doing that improvement.
yeah, but that's a major kludge. it should be in the context menu for a square being worked on: right next to every worker that's doing something, there should be text saying what he's doing, and when he'll be done.
Old February 28, 2002, 13:29   #285
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 22:35
Quote:
Originally posted by pauli
yeah, but that's a major kludge. it should be in the context menu for a square being worked on: right next to every worker that's doing something, there should be text saying what he's doing, and when he'll be done.
That would not be a very usefull option. If it should be on the context menu it should say Cancel Job (X turns)
Old February 28, 2002, 14:32   #286
IthacaMike
Chieftain

Upgrade bug
I've found a bug in the upgrade process.

I edited the units so Immortals upgraded to Rifleman but the Upgrade Unit flag was turned off. Once I had the Nationalism tech Swordsmen no longer appeared as a unit available for construction, nor could I upgrade Swordsmen to Riflemen.

This is what I wanted. I don't want my list of units available for construction cluttered up with obsolete unit types. I also had Longbowman -> Rifleman and Cossack -> Tank.

Then I found the bug.

I found a fortified Warrior in one of my cities. I activated it and hit shift-U and the Warrior upgraded to a Rifleman. None of the Swordsmen would upgrade but the Warriors could, all the way to Riflemen.
Old February 28, 2002, 14:50   #287
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
Re: Upgrade bug
Quote:
Originally posted by IthacaMike
I've found a bug in the upgrade process.

I edited the units so Immortals upgraded to Rifleman but the Upgrade Unit flag was turned off. Once I had the Nationalism tech Swordsmen no longer appeared as a unit available for construction, nor could I upgrade Swordsmen to Riflemen.

This is what I wanted. I don't want my list of units available for construction cluttered up with obsolete unit types. I also had Longbowman -> Rifleman and Cossack -> Tank.

Then I found the bug.

I found a fortified Warrior in one of my cities. I activated it and hit shift-U and the Warrior upgraded to a Rifleman. None of the Swordsmen would upgrade but the Warriors could, all the way to Riflemen.
You should TURN ON upgrade unit flag for Swordsmen & Legions.
That will fix the problem.

(you should also make longbowmen upogradeable to rifle)
Old February 28, 2002, 18:35   #288
IthacaMike
Chieftain

That would allow the Swordsmen to upgrade to Riflemen. That is not what I want. What I'm trying to do is get it so once I can produce Riflemen Swordsmen no longer show up on the production menu.

I have done that.

What happens now is the Warrior can upgrade all the way to Rifleman when it should only be able to upgrade to Swordsman. I think this is a bug because the Immortal is not flaged as having the Upgrade Unit capability yet it sort of got upgraded. The entire upgrade path was:

Warrior => Swordsman => Legionary => Immortals => Rifleman

Swordsman, Legionary, and Immortals all had their Upgrade Unit flags turned off but I could upgrade Warriors to Riflemen.
Old February 28, 2002, 20:11   #289
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Local Time: 00:35
About Game Crush

May be root of the problem is a fonts.
Try delete from %SystemRoot%\Fonts folder a fonts of Lucida Sans family listed bellow:

Lucida Sans Regular DOS name LSANS.TTF
Lucida Sans Italic DOS name LSANSI.TTF
Lucida Sans DemiBold Roman DOS name LSANSD.TTF
Lucida Sans DemiBold Italic DOS name LSANSDI.TTF

This fonts interferences with LSANS.TTF from the Civ3 folder.
Old February 28, 2002, 23:22   #290
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 07:35
Upgrade Bug
This has probably been reported before:

I used the Editor to give the Swordsman an upgrade option, so I set them to upgrade to Marines. Because the Immortal and Legionary units are also swordsmen, the upgrade path looks something like:

Swordsmen => Immortal => Legionary => Marine

The upgrade options were all set in this manner, and "Upgrade Unit" was ticked for each.

It should have been possible to upgrade a Swordsman to a Marine when I got the appropriate tech, but I could not do the upgrade.

I suspect the UU upgrades are slightly awry.
Old March 1, 2002, 11:48   #291
bj
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
The save file includes the random number seed, so if you load up the save file and do the exact same thing, you will get the exact same result. Does it work if you change the order of the combat?
Yes, some bombarding and attacking by other units first. The thing was, the other units were damaged so they lost when they attacked - at which point the rifleman went conscript -> regular. THEN the army could defeat it. Thats where my confusion came in - which of course wouldnt have happened if i knew the seed was saved Regardless, if an army can do 1 point of damage then lose 12 in a row, with comparitively even units, somethings amiss.
Old March 1, 2002, 13:28   #292
JeffNebraska
Settler

Star Mouse,

You may be having the same problem I had when I first started to mess around with the upgrade paths. DId you remember to put a check in the upgrade action for the swordsman? Without that, you won't see the lightning bolt button during the game.

The funny thing is, the computer can avail itself of upgrades you enable, even if you forget to check off the option which produces the button. The same goes for giving bombard capacity to a ship (e.g., the privateer) but forgotting to add the bombard button to the unit.
Old March 1, 2002, 14:28   #293
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffNebraska
Star Mouse,

You may be having the same problem I had when I first started to mess around with the upgrade paths. DId you remember to put a check in the upgrade action for the swordsman? Without that, you won't see the lightning bolt button during the game.

The funny thing is, the computer can avail itself of upgrades you enable, even if you forget to check off the option which produces the button. The same goes for giving bombard capacity to a ship (e.g., the privateer) but forgotting to add the bombard button to the unit.
If you have an upgrade selected for a unit, but the upgrade box isn't checked, the Shift-U command will still work. You just can't upgrade them individually. At least that worked in 1.16f, I haven't tried that with the new patch yet.
Old March 1, 2002, 20:05   #294
Matte979
Warlord

Just my quick five cent..

tech race is boring in 1.17 . no diffrence at all between civs.
to much trading. Its not harder you can trade aswell if you just have money or a resource.. Its just faster and less fun..

Otherwise good improvents. But 1.16 tech race much more fun..]

/Mathias
Old March 2, 2002, 03:18   #295
davidttm
Settler

Pangaea?
Setting up a new game. Select Standard Map, Pangaea, 60% Ocean, Normal, Temperate, 5 Billion, Iroquois, Warlord.

On earlier versions of the game with these settings I got one large supercontinent (i.e. "Pangaea") with all the civs on it (with maybe an island or two somewhere).

With 1.17f I just started a bunch of new games with these settings. I got four with starting positions that I wanted to play. Exploring on each of those four starts I discover I'm on a continent with two or three civs on it. Huh? What? Isn't that what the "Continents" setting is for?

If this is just another example of me being dim, then I'm sorry, but I want my Pangaea.
Old March 2, 2002, 04:01   #296
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:35
re all the kvetching about AI tech trading.

I found that trading tech for whatever I could get was a good idea up to 1.16f. It was a good strategy.

Why is everyone so upset that the AI now uses the same strategy? In my latest game I've just bought Economics for 40 gold. Physics was 50. Oh my, the AI is ganging up on me!

Shhh. Don't say what you are doing now to win. The gods may be listening.

BTW. Where's the bug?

Salve
Old March 2, 2002, 10:48   #297
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Great Library bug?
Something remarkably just happened to me.

Playing Iroquois/emperor I attacked the Roman capital with swordsmen and mounted warriors in 580 AD. Rome had the Piramids and the Great Library so I decided to keep the city, more as an act of nostalgy, as education (presumably) was already discovered by the other civs (I was way behind in techs, building up my army and settling in strategic positions).

When I conquered Rome I got all the techs prior to education, but to my surprise, the rewards got 'wild': I also received music theory, banking, astronomy, economics, navigation, physics, magnetism metallurgy and theory of gravity.

This wasn't ment to be, was it?

Getting back to my game now ...
(later on I'll try adding a zip.file --> first attempt though ...)

AJ
Old March 2, 2002, 12:10   #298
Willem
Emperor

Re: Great Library bug?
Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR
Something remarkably just happened to me.

Playing Iroquois/emperor I attacked the Roman capital with swordsmen and mounted warriors in 580 AD. Rome had the Piramids and the Great Library so I decided to keep the city, more as an act of nostalgy, as education (presumably) was already discovered by the other civs (I was way behind in techs, building up my army and settling in strategic positions).

When I conquered Rome I got all the techs prior to education, but to my surprise, the rewards got 'wild': I also received music theory, banking, astronomy, economics, navigation, physics, magnetism metallurgy and theory of gravity.

This wasn't ment to be, was it?

Getting back to my game now ...
(later on I'll try adding a zip.file --> first attempt though ...)

AJ
IIRC, The Great Library no longer functions only if you yourself have discovered Education. If not, then it seems to me that no one else had learned it yet, since quite obviously it was still functioning. If you were behind as you say, it wouldn't be that unusual to get so many techs from it.
Old March 2, 2002, 13:07   #299
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

I completely understand, but I've gotten a serie of techs that come AFTER the discovery of Education ...

I guess I've gotten about 12-16 techs. The advisor mentioned education somewhere in the middle of the sum-up, afterwards followed 9 !!! newer techs.

AJ
Old March 2, 2002, 13:14   #300
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR
I completely understand, but I've gotten a serie of techs that come AFTER the discovery of Education ...

I guess I've gotten about 12-16 techs. The advisor mentioned education somewhere in the middle of the sum-up, afterwards followed 9 !!! newer techs.

AJ
Maybe you weren't recieving the techs in a particular order. Plus the effect of Education wouldn't occur until after it had finished giving you all that knowledge, so it just sounds to me like you got a sudden burst of stored techs. Once it was done, then the Education would shut it down. It doesn't really sound to me like a bug frankly, I think you just got lucky. You were far enough behind that you just ended up with a mad rush of techs all at once.