Old March 2, 2002, 13:36   #301
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 21:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Matte979
Just my quick five cent..

tech race is boring in 1.17 . no diffrence at all between civs.
to much trading. Its not harder you can trade aswell if you just have money or a resource.. Its just faster and less fun..

Otherwise good improvents. But 1.16 tech race much more fun..]

/Mathias

Matte,

Exactly our thoughts.

Please put your vote on:

apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43814

Thx.
AJ
Old March 2, 2002, 13:40   #302
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=43814

(trying to link ...)

AJ
Old March 2, 2002, 19:15   #303
Mizaq
Prince

Local Time: 12:35
riddle me this:

Why do the sam battery and the research lab have era specific icons? Why does the courthouse have era specific icons that are all the same?
Old March 2, 2002, 21:27   #304
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Mizaq
riddle me this:

Why do the sam battery and the research lab have era specific icons? Why does the courthouse have era specific icons that are all the same?
Scenario support?
Old March 3, 2002, 00:54   #305
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 20:35
Quote:
Well, unless my memory is completely faulty, I could check both "Ask for construction" and "Always Build Previous" in 1.16 and still get a build prompt. It was useful, as it gave me a good default build and also gave me control. Why can't I do that now?
I miss this feature as well. Any chance of getting them both to work simultaneously again as it did in 1.16?
Old March 4, 2002, 08:19   #306
Be Quicker
Warlord

I've received amphibious assaults from mechanized infantery. i.e. the computer attacked one of my cities with a MI directly from a transport. WTF? I was very suprised. I'll post a savegame whenever I have one. Maybe its just me, because my shiftA workers also randomly start altering existing terrain improvements.

And the computer players indeed implode upon rush/draft communnism.
(cities going to size 1)
Old March 4, 2002, 17:59   #307
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

I want an option for the editor to disable "trade communications" option in diplomacy.

Personally, I would like to disable this option for Civ3 so I can enjoy discovering the map.
Old March 4, 2002, 22:38   #308
senowen
Warlord

Local Time: 15:35
bug report
I was in the military advisor screen and I had clicked on the armies tab and changed to another civ. When I pressed F4 the armies tab box stayed, listing all the civs. When I exited this screen the tab box stayed. Then I clicked outside of the box and it went away, except my cursor and keyboard no longer worked. The game did not crash and it wasn't stuck in any kind of loop, that I could tell. It was as if I had deselected the app but could not reselect. I pushed the windows button and then re-selected CivIII but nothing changed. I don't have a saved game because it locked up (or whatever). I also have not been able to recreate this. Has anyone else experienced this bug?

I don't know if this is a 1.17f bug or not, but I have been playing on 1.17f since for several weeks now.

[Edit] Well, I just got it to bug again. I'll attach it in another post since to can't attach in edit mode.

Last edited by senowen; March 4, 2002 at 22:51.
Old March 4, 2002, 23:05   #309
senowen
Warlord

Re: bug report
Quote:
[Edit] Well, I just got it to bug again. I'll attach it in another post since to can't attach in edit mode.
Here it is:

[Edit] The old attachment didn't seem to work for some reason, so here is a new one. Be sure to save as a .zip file and it should work.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip bugreport2.zip (387.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by senowen; March 5, 2002 at 21:34.
Old March 6, 2002, 01:36   #310
Coracle
Prince

After reading all these endless and justified complaints about Civ III, I can only conclude that Firaxis never playtested this game. Bad job, Firaxis.
Old March 6, 2002, 02:55   #311
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
After reading all these endless and justified complaints about Civ III, I can only conclude that Firaxis never playtested this game. Bad job, Firaxis.
Try playing instead of reading.
90% of these "bugs" hever happend to me.
Old March 6, 2002, 14:44   #312
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

Someone I know couldn't play Civ 3 because his monitor was reporting an error about the temperature being too hot when he started Civ3.
So I suggested to lower the temperature on his monitor just to see what that does and he changed it from 9900K to 9300K. Now the monitor is reporting a frequency out of range message when starting Civ3.

He's on Windows XP.
Old March 6, 2002, 16:31   #313
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 12:35
If it was the monitor itself that made the report than Civ III had nothing to do with it. The temperature YOU mentioned is the color temperature. 9300K is for use under flourescent lights. I have mine set to 6000K which is the closest to sunlight on mine.

If the monitor was actually 9300K it would be a rapidly exanding cloud of blue-white plasma.

Tell him to keep his cats from blocking the vents on his monitor. The refresh can be set in the Civilization3.Ini file. The readme says you can add this line to it.

Refresh=60

Most people would find that a low rate. If the monitor can support higher that would be better. 75 is usually considered OK. Mine is 85 but I set that for Direct X with a Radeon tweaker.
Old March 6, 2002, 17:11   #314
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

*post deleted/removed*
Old March 7, 2002, 00:07   #315
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:35
Is it just me or does 1.17f seem to create more problems then it solves?
Old March 7, 2002, 00:08   #316
TurboTraxx
Settler

Local Time: 14:35
bug with killing last civ's galley
I had posted in another thread that I didn't understand why Persia would not go away in my game after they had been destroyed 1000 years previously. I thought it was a bug. Well, after someone's helpful advice, I found that it wasn't a bug, but then I found a new one.

The persians were sitting in a galley in the ocean, just sitting there turn after turn. So, I declare war and sink the ship. Then the game crashes and exits.
Old March 7, 2002, 02:44   #317
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

TurboTraxx: Are you using 1.17f? I think they fixed the sinking Gally with Settler bug in that patch. I haven't seen this situation so I can't say for sure.

Salve
Old March 7, 2002, 06:07   #318
korn469
Emperor

1) I just installed the last patch and now my first CD-ROM unit (it's a Creative DVD-ROM 1241E) starts to examine the CD then after a few seconds a window appears telling me there was a reading error and to insert the original CD...
Fortunately I've a second CD-ROM unit (a Yamaha CD Writer CRW8824E) and starting the game with the CD in this unit works fine

2) I received that error message too, but only I have a Toshiba 16x DVD.

3) Just downloaded and installed the patch.
I am getting the "Read Error".
I only have one cd drive on my computer and my o/s is WinME.

4)I'm experiencing a bug and I haven't even played yet! I understood that the editor that went with the patch was incorrect, so I downloaded the 'correct' editor too, but now that I've installed the patch and the ''correct'' editor the editor won'r run! AND it won't be removed or moved either, cos it says it's a locked file.

5) Stacked movement doesn't work, when I try to enter a ship from the coast with a bunch of units (not in a city). Dragged movement also works (and always worked) only, if the unit is already located at the coast, 1 square from the ship.
Would be great, if I could just send a stack to a ship without moving it first to an adjacent coastal tile and then dragging one-by-one to the ship.

6) I just installed the patch and noticed that in the production screen the text is discolored/blurry. It appears to go bold when I hold the cursor over the text but it is very ugly.
As I think about it more maybe it has to due with font smoothing in XP.

7) The Expand in X turns text does not count on that some buildings will double culture production in less then X turns. I know that might be hard to fix, but it would be good if you could figure out a way to change it.

8) I expereienced random spots all over my map where one tile was visible to me that I had not explored. These single tiles scattered over the whole world were in active visibility mode where I could see units moving through them.

9) When I view the research tree it does not show me what improvements or units are avaialbe in the box. I have to double click on the box, opening the civilopedia, to see what will become available.

10) ok i am the most powerful civ, offering a peace treaty to france so i can focus on other things... i ask for one of their cities in return for peace, my advisor tells me "We're getting close to a deal here"
so i figure i'll offer some gold, just to tip the scales over the top. no matter what my offer of gold, from 1 to 200 pieces, offering gold immediately sends the deal to "They would never accept such a deal!"

11) Several "civilopedia" bugs (yep, they still exist).
-In bonus resouse section (concepts) game still give +1 food.
-In maintaince section (concepts) Costall Fortress upkeep is 2 (should be 0)
-in ZOC concepts, wrong units are in list (not fixed in 1.16f also): rider, horsemen, etc...
-there are even some more (don't rember)

12) Since installing the patch this morning I've had games crashing with invalid page faults, etc, about every fifteen minutes or so, sometimes more frequently. Before the patch had "illegal" crashes maybe once every two or three sessions, now it's constant. Firing the game up after a crash now produces a black screen and the illegal error box which hangs my machine until reboot.

13) Since installing the patch I've been seeing some serious corruption, mostly of fonts in the game. Overall the fonts are readable but they look like they are missing about 30% of the characters. The worst problems I've seen so far though are in diplomatic mode, some text either is not displayed or is being pushed off the screen. Civilopedia entries are messed up looking too. In any case this is making the game very difficult to play - it is also hard to explain, so here are some screenshots - hope everything will be clear. For the record I have a geforce2 MX400 video card with the latest Nvidia drivers on Windows 2000

14) The 1.16 version allowed us to enter a city in civil disorder to fix the problem. This works in 1.17 as well. However, in 1.16, I can see the city resource effects of moving my workers around or changing them into entertainers. I cannot see these effects in the 1.17 version. Keep in mind that this is occuring in the city display screen WHILE the city is in disorder.

Example:
A city producing one extra food per turn goes into civil disorder. The game zooms me to the city so I can fix it. Now, do I remove the worker off of the hill, which is producing one food, while cutting down on shields, or do I remove the worker on grasslands (two foods) and slowly starve the city while maintaining higher shield output? The unfortunate thing is, I can no longer see the effects of moving or removing the workers.
The big surprise came when this first happened. I converted a worker off of some grasslands but did not see the red, international "no" symbols in the food box, so I assumed my city was not starving. The next turn . . . BAM! . . . the "starvation" warning poped up and my city immeiately lost a population point!

15) Game locks when fighter tries to shoot down bomber over Lyon.

16) I upgraded an elite warrior to a legionary. Then, I reloaded the game several turns prior to making the upgrade for an unrelated reason. When I went to upgrade the warrior again it didn't allow me to. The upgrade/lightening button didn't appear at all. From this point on I was unable to upgrade any warriors.

17) I play the Egyptians and captured a Roman worker. While waiting for orders only "Worker (Egypt)" is shown as unit description instead of "Roman worker (Egypt)". This is true for all captured workers. When right-clicking on a stack, though, the description is correct.

18) I have 2 transports (loaded to capacity) in the same tile. 'j' does not move them both -- have to move them individually. Must be because they are loaded with non-transport units.

19) I built granaries in several cities, and started work on the Pyramids a little bit later. I successfully acquired the Pyramids, which made the granaries I built rather redundant- so I decided to sell them off rather than pay upkeep for something I get for free.
After selling off the ones I built, there shouldn't be any upkeep at all. Yet, in several cities, I have an upkeep cost of 4 on the Domestic Advisor screen, yet on the city screen, there is only a total of 3 upkeep cost listed.

20) The game does not save random for me if I select to be a random civ

21) I've a got an annoying bug. Everytime text pops up above a city (wether its WLTKD, or pop drop, etc...), the screen goes blank for a half a second. This has not happened before the patch.
I tried starting the game in 1024x768x16-bit, but that not helping, same with 32-bit color. (24 is not an option).
I've also tried starting the game on different map sizes, no luck. And I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and installed the 1.17f update directly (I didn't use 1.16f), which has not helped.
Basic system specs:
CPU: P3 550MHz
RAM: 256MB 100MHz SDRAM
Video: 16MB Voodoo3 3000 AGP (Driver Version: 4.12.01.0638)
DirectX 8.1 installed, with all hardware compatible.

22) I used to upgrade all musketeers (i'm france) to riflemen, and it upgraded all, but the selected one, and it took my money!

23) Sometimes after a city finishes biulding something, the popup's combo box is not centered properly, it seems to go off the right of the screen. Also the drop down list sometimes doesn't have times on it.

24) Borders are still not completely working as shown in this picture.
http://www.samsmith.co.nz/images/Borders.gif

25) I have a display bug. Started in my last game with 1.16 but I wasn't too fussed. Thought it was a corrupt game. Abandoned that game to start fresh with 1.17.
New patch. New game. Same bug. Same behaviour.
Imagine the diplomacy screen as a clock with 8 hours. The guy at 5 o'clock is missing, in this case the Aztec. In the initial screen there is a blue circle at 5 o'clock. When I select someone the circle disappears. When I put the cursor over the void it turns to a yellow circle. When I double click on the yellow circle, Mao comes up (he's at 7 o'clock).
The exact same thing happened in the previous game (1.16). The guy at 5 o'clock was a void. The yellow dot at 5 o'clock brought up the same guy as at 7 o'clock.
What I have done. Uninstalled 1.17. Uninstalled 1.16. Uninstalled Civ3. Installed Civ3 from original CD. Installed 1.17. Same bug.
Reinstalled DX8. Same bug.
Updated video driver. Same bug.
My system.
Gigabyte 7DX mother board with AMD 761 chipset
Thunderbird C 1200 running at 900 MHz
256M DDR RAM
Matrox G450 32M Dual video card
WinME

26) Something strange is happening in my current game.
I could not upgrade my spearmen left to pikemen and then to musketmen in one of my cities, while all the other ones let me to. Note that all these cities have Barracks and share the same strategic resources. It is the first time it happens: did any of you already noticed in the past something like this ?
UPDATE:
This is really driving me mad: by reloading the same savegame, sometimes I could upgrade the same unit (i.e. the spearman) sometimes not. Apparently there is no explanation for this, it's completely random

27) Something really weird happened during my last game.
My automated workers sometimes are shot by my riflemen while trying to enter my cities and they are destroyed.
My riflemen did increase their quality like they where fighting but they didn't loose energy.

28) When the Golden Age is about to end, the city map shows no GA effect on the map but the GA effects are erroneously still shown on the city info below the city map and on the Domestic Advisor's city list

29) When a city is about to grow in size, the new shields are already applied while income and food aren't. The extra shields shouldn't either IMHO. Btw most of the time the game applies the square with maximum number of shields, but not always

30) The name of the Iroquois war chief is Skenandoah ("white man's friend"), not Shenandoah ("daughter of the moon"). Come on! This is like having Washwoman leading the American army

31) Despite being a Republic, my cities still celebrate "We love the King day"

32) After patching the game still crasches VERY often (every 2 hours minimum) on my system (se belov for specs). The most common occasions are;
-When capturing a city
-During end turn
-When a city convert to your civ
I also had a few new crashes that didn't occur pre-patch, for example when changing production and other functions while in "city screen"
My specs are
Amd 1.2 Ghz
Asus a7v133c
384 mb memory
HD c,d,e,f (game installed on e: 2 gb partition, defragged with only civ 3 on it)
CD g,h
Win Xp, all updates installes
Geforce 2 mx400 64 mb (detonator 23.11)
SB PCI128

33) Bomber conducting bombing run:
I heard it, but there was no visual.
This was on a game being continued with 1.17f. The bomber was coming from a carrier.
EDIT: Bombers were seen in bombing runs later, in different and similar areas

34) I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed...but, I customized the name of my Civ, and I used the Japanese as the base race. Some of the reports show my race name correctly (Mystarians) but my info screen shows my civ name as Japan.

35) Two problems, the game now crashes every hour or two, but the autosaved game recovers with no problem when I restart. Also my battleship had a phase of only moving 2 tiles at a time. Apart from this, everything OK.

36) My fonts were screwed (similar to madwand97´s problem on page 2). I fixed it by uninstalling some fonts, so that I had less than 800, including uninstalling the Lucida Sans font

37) Not sure if this is new for v1.17f, but in my current game (started a new one with v1.17f) I went to revolution. My cash flow was -44 (to other civs), and my treasury only 10. Even though I stayed in anarchy for 5 rounds, I never lost any money! The advisor always told me "You are running low on cash" (can´t remember the exact phrase), but nothing happened. No buildings were sold or anything like that. I also checked on some of the AI civs if maybe my payments were just frozen, but the round timer just kept counting down (i.e I still had to pay the French 10 gold/turn for 15 turns when I went into revolution, but only 10 rounds when I finally could switch).

38) Sometimes, when I'm done moving a unit, it doesn't get unselected automatically. The white circle stays around the unit, looking the way it does when a unit has no movement. The panel in the lower left corner says that the unit has no movement, but the little circle that reminds me that the turn needs to be ended doesn't flash. Sometimes this happens with the last unit that needs to be moved, other times with a different unit. So sometimes I have to end the turn, and sometimes I have to manually activate some other unit to get my turn going again. Sometimes, it happens more than once in a turn.

39) I had this bug in 1.16 and it's still in 1.17.
Occasionally, when I'm talking to another civ, the sounds gets corrupted. It remains corrupted after I exit the advisor screen. I have to save the game and quit, then when the game goes to quit it stops responding and I have to kill it with ctrl-alt-delete.

40) I have an army filled with tanks on the same place as I had a lot of other tanks. Now I chose one of those tanks (not the army tanks) and press "j" to move them away, but now the army is split, the tanks in the army went with the others while the "army" didn't move. Now I could re-load some new tanks into the army which I did, but on one of the places where the army has been after this there now stands a picture of a tank (this means you see it, but it's not there, enemies can move to the place without trouble)

41) by the year 2550BC (or around that time) I got a history report, on wealthiest Civs I think .. when this appeared, the music kept repeating the .5sec sample .. the mouse kept stopping, and moving in jerks of 10 seconds on/off .. as if there was another process which had suddenly taken the processor and left everything else struggling to go. It took me ages to get to exit, and it wouldn't .. so I was forced to re-boot
My machine is a p4, 2Ghz 256Mb Ram, running XP-HE. I installed the patch the other day so im now running 1.17f.

42) The civilopedia entry for air missions states that ctrl-R is the shortcut for rebasing when in fact it is shift-R.

43) In my experience (3 times in one game) it happens when you have a combined stack of army contents and army (modern tanks for me). Select a unassociated tank and stack move it, and the unassociated tanks move to their destination, while the army-associated tanks move one tile. The army stays put. In fact, I couldn't get the army to move at all in its emptied state. I recall having trouble moving the tanks away from the army, though I could freely move them back to the army for reloading.
When the tanks are removed from the army, they have full hit points, which I think gives an interesting insight into army dynamics and explains why an army of 4 units with less than 4 hps remaining can exist. When you restore the full hp tanks to the army, the army returns to having less-than-full hps.

44) I know that the prop planes and jet fighters can do air superiority missions now like they were supposed to (I have had the prop planes shoot down stealth bombers!), but I have not seen them do it off of aircraft carriers. When I check on the fighters on carriers, they are all asleep.
NOTE: whenever an aircraft carrier moves all of the units on it revert to being asleep

45) Shift-U to upgrade all units does not upgrade every unit in all cities when all cities are connected to the trade network. There's always exactly one city that doesn't get upgraded. I have to go to that city and upgrade the units manually. It happened even when my whole empire was a railway wasteland and I upgraded my infantry to Mech Inf.

46) I find this very disturbing. If you walk on a hut with the first of your two movement points of 2-movement units and the hut doesn't generate a popup (you get anything but science) the unit will continue one more step in the same direcion as when it entered the hut. I never had this problem before the 1.17 patch, so I decided to post about it here.

47) Since I downloaded the 1.17f patch, I have had chronic problems with the Foreign Advisors Screen. On every game I've played since the patch, only four or five foriegn leaders are visible on the Foreign Advisors Screen. This happens whether I play with 8 players or 16 players. It makes it very difficult to determine who has mutual protection, rights of passage, war, etc.

48) When trying to clear forests with multiple wokers, after clering, game stops, I can't move any units, but can look Fx screens, chage production, etc..
I can select but not move units.
If I press W, selected unit is deseclected but new unit doesn't come to place. There is just message "plese wait".
Also forest square looks not cleared up, until I scroll game with mouse or keybord.
After 30-90 sec all returns to normall

49) The number of turns needed in the tech tree is not visible for advances with short names

50) On occasion some (faraway) uncharted terrain suddenly registers as charted. This seems linked to Barbarian activity. If an AI unit enters the terrain, contact with the AI tribe becomes possible

51) When a religeous tribe revolts to a new government upon making the discovery, cities may go into civil disorder despite sufficient happiness under both the old and the new government. Looks like the happiness during anarchy is counted by mistake
Old March 7, 2002, 06:28   #319
korn469
Emperor

52) Shift-A workers and their preference for pollution clean-up.
Great, but maybe a bit too much. When you have large cities that aren't fully developped with roads/railroads, and pollution appears on an unconnected tile, you have huge numbers of workers trying to get there. I had 34 workers walking to a pollution tile (2 tiles away from next road), and then another 13 on the next turn, while those 34 had arrived and were getting ready for an overkill insta cleanup

53) I installed the 1.17f patch and began a new game. I can't use the science advisor screen. I can display it, it doesn't crash the game, but clicking on the boxes has no effect. I can select projects using the pop-up box that appears at the end of each project, but I like to look at the diagram when I make my research selection.

54) I'm playing as the French (Regent, standard Earth map) and I've noticed that I don't get the one shield bonus for my capital of size 8...I do get the one commerce bonus, though.
I thought it was due to me being in Despotism, but I've changed to Monarchy and still no extra shield. It wouldn't have been such a big deal, but I'm stuck in the wonder race and need to catch up with some religious civs.

55) I've seen one bug (food shortage is not indicated even if you eliminate all the food sources), but I don't know if it has been mentioned before.

56) Issue_Description: At between 800-1100 AD, the system crashes and says approximately "CivIII has generated errors, program will shut down and you must restart, writing error log file" Then after sometime the "ok" option appears and I can reclose the file. However, the saved file from before the crash will yeild the same crash. I have duplicated this problem three times by starting the game from scratch. Thank you in advance for your help. I love the game, but I have a business to run and have very limited time to enjoy this terrific game.
Brand: Jem
CPU: Intel P4 - 1.7
RAM: 262
Video_Card: MIS MS-StarForce
Sound_Card: Sound Blaster
CD-ROM_Drive: CD-R
Modem: DSL
Other_Peripherals: SanDisk, Iomega UBS 250, tape backup, 10 network

57) A tile improvement doesn't show until the next turn, but it counts this turn

58) Setting up a new game. Select Standard Map, Pangaea, 60% Ocean, Normal, Temperate, 5 Billion, Iroquois, Warlord.
On earlier versions of the game with these settings I got one large supercontinent (i.e. "Pangaea") with all the civs on it (with maybe an island or two somewhere).
With 1.17f I just started a bunch of new games with these settings. I got four with starting positions that I wanted to play. Exploring on each of those four starts I discover I'm on a continent with two or three civs on it. Huh? What? Isn't that what the "Continents" setting is for?

59) I was in the military advisor screen and I had clicked on the armies tab and changed to another civ. When I pressed F4 the armies tab box stayed, listing all the civs. When I exited this screen the tab box stayed. Then I clicked outside of the box and it went away, except my cursor and keyboard no longer worked. The game did not crash and it wasn't stuck in any kind of loop, that I could tell. It was as if I had deselected the app but could not reselect. I pushed the windows button and then re-selected CivIII but nothing changed. I don't have a saved game because it locked up (or whatever). I also have not been able to recreate this. Has anyone else experienced this bug?
I don't know if this is a 1.17f bug or not, but I have been playing on 1.17f since for several weeks now.

60) Government Specific Wonders do not work as advertised. If you make a wonder government specific and a player builds it, when they switch governments it will disappear from your list of buildings but its effects will remain in effect

61) Free buildings from wonders cannot be used as a prerequisite for other buildings. Additionally if you set a building to require a wonder it can only be built in the same city as the wonder, while this is useful in certain situations and should remain in the editor, there should be a way so that if you have the wonder you can construct the building in all of your cities. Additionally, free culture buildings from wonders don't show up in the cultural advisor screen, the additional culture point per city does, however. One last problem is that free culture buildings from wonders don't get the 1000 year culture bonus.

62) If you have the Hoover Dam, then you have two powerplants in a city at once

63) When Using the J command, and possibly the goto command if units try to move through a space with a unit that has the submarine flag they will automatically it, in the case of workers they will all automatically die

this contains the bugs in the list plus a few more pulled from various threads

Last edited by korn469; March 7, 2002 at 06:47.
Old March 7, 2002, 10:14   #320
falsfire3401
Settler

Re: Barbarian City Bug
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
When you create a game with some CIV positions set to NONE (in other words, less than the maximum), sometimes it creates barbarian civs in place of the missing civs. It happens most reliably when a new game is started with Quick Start.

The attached save has 2 barbarian civs.
I had this happen to me in a game I'm playing too, but I had specifically set which rival civs would play against me. All seven of them. (I'm tired of the game always picking the same civs. French, English, Zulu, Aztecs, Americans, etc. it seems to always pick them).

Too bad...I got off to a real good start, vassalized the nearby Egyptians, but now instead of 7 rivals I really only have 6, cuz the "Barbarian Chiefdom" doesn't count. Their city is stuck at size 1 and they don't build any units or research any techs, or make any gold.
Old March 7, 2002, 10:35   #321
TurboTraxx
Settler

notyoueither, yes, I am using the latest build -1.17f.

And after reading Korn's lengthy report, I am reminded of something else I have noticed. The two worker limit has not left the game totally. When I have workers improve a city (Ctrl-Shift-I), they will not work more than two to a square...
Old March 7, 2002, 10:36   #322
korn469
Emperor

falsfire3401

you have the original 1.17f civ3mod.bic which is bad it came with the bad editor

just replace your civ3mod.bic with the following one and it should be fine then
Attached Files:
File Type: zip original civ3 files.zip (183.5 KB, 8 views)
Old March 7, 2002, 12:28   #323
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

1) When you are using ships you can move your units across a vast ocean in a single turn. The game allws you to load the units into one ship and then another, and then another, and then another, without incurring any movement points and thus allowing you to go on forever moving your units anywhere by sea in 1 turn.

2) Music gets corrupted in the game. It'll be playing fine, then it will begin sounding weird. This happens merely at random. It occures very often on my 400MHZ system and I have only noticed it once on my 1.5GHZ system.

3) Optomize the AI's turns I am simply bored to death with Civ3 because of the long turns. Civ2 had a little icon in the corner that indicated what color was currenlty moving -- this helped eliminiate the bordom greatly as you at least knew the current progress of things and who was moving. So can you try and optimize the AI's turn, but most of all can you include that little colored square that indicates who's taking their turn so we won't be left in the dark as to what is going on while the AI takes its turn? (and not just a text saying who's moving but something that indicates the civ's color)

Last edited by Kevin Ar18; March 7, 2002 at 12:35.
Old March 7, 2002, 13:25   #324
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

1) Try starting a game. Save it immediately at 4000 BC. Now use the zoom feature to increase the viewing area. Re-load the save just created (or any other 4000 BC save). The unexplored area beyond the standard sized viewing area has been revealed.

2) Try starting a number of games on a tiny map at deity level, using defaults for all other options. After founding your capital, build a settler as soon as posssible. Is there enough room nearby the capital to found a second city, or have you already been surrounded by AI cities?
Old March 7, 2002, 16:13   #325
hoplite2
Settler

Here is something I don't know should be classified as a bug or not. And it is to do with an army not healing completely when rested for a complete turn in a city with barracks.

If I have 3 knights and they all rest in a city with barrack for a full turn. They will regain all their hit points the very next turn. But if I have 3 knights in an army, and the army rests in a city with barrack, it somehow takes quite a few turns for the army to regain all its hit points...

Is this a "bug" or a "feature"? If this is a "feature", then, aren't we penalizing the units that got put into an army?
Old March 8, 2002, 21:08   #326
Encomium
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
1) When you are using ships you can move your units across a vast ocean in a single turn. The game allws you to load the units into one ship and then another, and then another, and then another, without incurring any movement points and thus allowing you to go on forever moving your units anywhere by sea in 1 turn.

3) Optomize the AI's turns I am simply bored to death with Civ3 because of the long turns. Civ2 had a little icon in the corner that indicated what color was currenlty moving -- this helped eliminiate the bordom greatly as you at least knew the current progress of things and who was moving. So can you try and optimize the AI's turn, but most of all can you include that little colored square that indicates who's taking their turn so we won't be left in the dark as to what is going on while the AI takes its turn? (and not just a text saying who's moving but something that indicates the civ's color)

#1 was also a problem with Civ II. Really dumb, and surprising it has not been fixed at long last.

#3 and the color icons didn't help much with long turns, but a little with Civ II. Turns are so long in Civ III we have to go to another Windows application between turns - better than colored icons!
Old March 9, 2002, 02:12   #327
m_m_x
Warlord

system crash
last night i started a new game as the Indians,i am at the early stages of the game and when i click "end turn" button the game crashes without any reason.
my first crash after 1.17 patch...
my os is win98 se
i have attached a save file.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip india.zip (198.6 KB, 1 views)
Old March 9, 2002, 08:09   #328
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
(21) Units that are about to land from a ship can (rightly) be given a goto order, but by the next turn they have forgotten all about it
(22) Sometimes the game says it's two turns to build a road while in reality (Democracy, productive) it's just one
(23) Corruption is not always displayed correctly in the city screen: the effect of a city that was founded this turn may not be taken into account. For instance, the city map shows 3 shields, but the turn results prove it was really two. Sometimes fiddling with the squares being worked corrects this display error, but not always (note: the same bug was already present in Civ2)
(24) In the city screen, clicking on a square that doesn't belong to the city (which often happens by mistake) closes the screen
(25) Upon stealing Steel from Russia I got the message: "We learned Medicine from Japan"
(26) "They would never accept such a deal" appears when WE might run at a deficit. We offer $11 per turn, "Close to a deal", increase to $12 pt and bingo (this while our tax rate is only 30% and we have over $1000 cash)

Not really a bug, but it would be nice to have a city improvements overview comparable to the units overview (F12 key?? / building advisor)

Last edited by Ribannah; March 11, 2002 at 07:16.
Old March 9, 2002, 08:27   #329
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Encomium

#1 was also a problem with Civ II. Really dumb, and surprising it has not been fixed at long last.

#3 and the color icons didn't help much with long turns, but a little with Civ II. Turns are so long in Civ III we have to go to another Windows application between turns - better than colored icons!
More than 10 seconds and I start to get annoyed. More than 30 seconds and I'm not sure I want to go on playing that map/game. Note: I could be completely wrong on those numbers as I don't really recal how long it takes, but I'm just TRYING to remember how little it took in Civ 2 during normal circumstances.

Last edited by Kevin Ar18; March 9, 2002 at 09:04.
Old March 9, 2002, 19:21   #330
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 07:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by solo
2) Try starting a number of games on a tiny map at deity level, using defaults for all other options. After founding your capital, build a settler as soon as posssible. Is there enough room nearby the capital to found a second city, or have you already been surrounded by AI cities?
This is probably intentional. At Deity level, the AI starts with extra settlers.