Old March 19, 2002, 11:55   #361
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 16:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
When I play a game altered with the editor, the tech tree doesn't have the nice, easy to follow arrows it had before. It has these gray lines that look like they go from the center of one tech box to another, which is very difficult to follow. I didn't make any changes to the tech tree. I started the game as a scenario as well.
Old March 20, 2002, 18:07   #362
lorddread
Warlord

Local Time: 14:35
fade to black
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
I've a got an annoying bug. Everytime text pops up above a city (wether its WLTKD, or pop drop, etc...), the screen goes blank for a half a second. This has not happened before the patch.

I tried starting the game in 1024x768x16-bit, but that not helping, same with 32-bit color. (24 is not an option).

I've also tried starting the game on different map sizes, no luck. And I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and installed the 1.17f update directly (I didn't use 1.16f), which has not helped.

Basic system specs:
CPU: P3 550MHz
RAM: 256MB 100MHz SDRAM
Video: 16MB Voodoo3 3000 AGP (Driver Version: 4.12.01.0638)
DirectX 8.1 installed, with all hardware compatible.

NOTE: I do have the DX8 SDK installed, but that can't be a problem since I've had that installed since last October (long before I got Civ3.)
I get this also, but not all the time. In my case my screen goes black for a second and then pops up with the pop drop.

I am running a p3 933 with a 64m radeon card. My screen is also smaller. must be a 1.17 error
Old March 20, 2002, 21:37   #363
wtiger
Settler

Local Time: 20:35
Re: No extra shields for Industrious!
Quote:
Originally posted by wtiger
I'm playing as the French (Regent, standard Earth map) and I've noticed that I don't get the one shield bonus for my capital of size 8... I do get the one commerce bonus, though.
UPDATE: It seems that only grassland cities don't get the extra shield. Oh well.
Old March 21, 2002, 06:07   #364
watorrey
Warlord

Local Time: 15:35
Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
When I play a game altered with the editor, the tech tree doesn't have the nice, easy to follow arrows it had before. It has these gray lines that look like they go from the center of one tech box to another, which is very difficult to follow. I didn't make any changes to the tech tree. I started the game as a scenario as well.
This is suppose to be from starting a scenario. It has no way of knowing that the tech tree has not been altered. If you use the standard bic file name, it won't do this.
Old March 21, 2002, 12:50   #365
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

Thanks for including the option to search for a CD in other drives, however, Civilization III is still unable to recognize my CD is another drive on my system.

I installed it from my DVD drive (drive E), and now I'm trying to run it from my CDRW drive (drive F).

Windows XP System
C:\ = NTFS
D:\ = FAT32
E:\ =COMPAQ DVD-ROM LTD 163
F:\ = PHILLIPS CDD4851 CD-R/RW
Old March 21, 2002, 16:02   #366
Andy
Settler

I am not sure if this has been reported before, and I really don't want to have to look through all 350+ posts in this forum.

When I use the stack movement command on a stack of knights and in the same square there is an army with knights as part of the army it always crashes my game.

I presume that what is happening in the game is that the stack movement command is trying to move the knights in the army, which it is unable to do, so it gets sucked into an infinate loop.

Again, sorry if this is a repost.
Old March 21, 2002, 16:09   #367
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
Thanks for including the option to search for a CD in other drives, however, Civilization III is still unable to recognize my CD is another drive on my system.

I installed it from my DVD drive (drive E), and now I'm trying to run it from my CDRW drive (drive F).

Windows XP System
C:\ = NTFS
D:\ = FAT32
E:\ =COMPAQ DVD-ROM LTD 163
F:\ = PHILLIPS CDD4851 CD-R/RW
Have you tried reinstalling from the drive you wish to play from?

Won't fix the bug(?) but will get you what you want.
Old March 21, 2002, 16:44   #368
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Dunno if this has been posted yet in this thread, but every time a resource of mine depletes, it just reappears in the same square. EVERY TIME.
Old March 22, 2002, 01:23   #369
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm having problems with eliminating civilizations. Once I've completely eliminated a civilization the war continues. I've used utility programs to verify that the civ in question has indeed been eliminated.
Old March 22, 2002, 09:46   #370
falsfire3401
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
I'm having problems with eliminating civilizations. Once I've completely eliminated a civilization the war continues. I've used utility programs to verify that the civ in question has indeed been eliminated.
You sure they haven't just been respawned somewhere else on the map? It does this if there is room for them on the current continent. It also could be that they have a settler hiding in a galley somewhere on the map.
Old March 22, 2002, 09:48   #371
falsfire3401
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Have you tried reinstalling from the drive you wish to play from?
Won't fix the bug(?) but will get you what you want.
Or better yet, if you're comfortable editing the registry, just find the Civilization3 key under HKLM_Software, and change the "InstallPath" or whatever it's called in there. I can't remember the exact keyname, but that's what I did on my system when I had installed the game from my DVD-ROM, but one day I wanted to watch a DVD while playing the game from my CD-RW drive.
Old March 23, 2002, 00:23   #372
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by falsfire3401

You sure they haven't just been respawned somewhere else on the map? It does this if there is room for them on the current continent. It also could be that they have a settler hiding in a galley somewhere on the map.
Some turns ago I used the Civ3 MultiTool to loook for hidden units, I found one galley and sank it, but the civ persisted.
Old March 24, 2002, 00:47   #373
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 12:35
The Civalopedia's explanation of Corruption and Waste is WRONG. It is causeing much confusion hereabouts.

It says that corruption is loss of income and waste is loss of shields. It then goes on to say both Police Stations and Courthouses mitigate corruption. This implies, incorrectly, that those two improvements only effect income loss. This is false.

It would be far better to say that Corruption CAUSES waste of BOTH shields and income. Carefull analysis of how the two improvements work show they have an identical effect on the loss of both shields and waste due to corruption. The change is 20% taking roundoffs into account. I know that you may not want to put the 20% into the Civalopedia but you may want to put it in the editor.

This is discussed with carefull analysis in the "Corruption from number of cities" thread.

Link to second page of thread where this aspect is discussed.
Old March 24, 2002, 11:01   #374
Sena
Settler

Local Time: 03:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
German Ghost
I found something strange on my last game. It was Regent level Standard map, I played as Egyptian. I was on the way getting rid of other factions on my continent, this inclued German. He was the 3rd faction I tried to eliminate.

I pursued him to an island near the continent and took over his last city. To my surprise, he still haunted on Foreigner Advisor screen. Hmm??? Maybe he spawned somewhere far away (Half the world I already explored that time and it was still early AD). No problem I would meet him eventually I thought.

Till game end with innumberable map exchanging, even to German himself. No city, even ship or his settler on that game. I almost lost my victory because the only way I could win was Space Victory. I owned UN too but German Ghost never agreed to vote for me. Geez! (I bribed all the 30k money and all my knowledge to him to no avail, he still kept Furious) Conquest Victory was out no doubt, UN too, Domination and Cultural I ticked them off at the start, too easy.

Fortunately I achieved the space victory on time at 2032AD. Phew.

I tried with spy too but it said that I already had a spy on German which I never ever planted one!

I think many people have met this same situation so I would like to add mine here too.
Old March 24, 2002, 13:32   #375
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: German Ghost
Quote:
Originally posted by Sena
I found something strange on my last game. It was Regent level Standard map, I played as Egyptian. I was on the way getting rid of other factions on my continent, this inclued German. He was the 3rd faction I tried to eliminate.

I pursued him to an island near the continent and took over his last city. To my surprise, he still haunted on Foreigner Advisor screen. Hmm??? Maybe he spawned somewhere far away (Half the world I already explored that time and it was still early AD). No problem I would meet him eventually I thought.

Till game end with innumberable map exchanging, even to German himself. No city, even ship or his settler on that game. I almost lost my victory because the only way I could win was Space Victory. I owned UN too but German Ghost never agreed to vote for me. Geez! (I bribed all the 30k money and all my knowledge to him to no avail, he still kept Furious) Conquest Victory was out no doubt, UN too, Domination and Cultural I ticked them off at the start, too easy.

Fortunately I achieved the space victory on time at 2032AD. Phew.

I tried with spy too but it said that I already had a spy on German which I never ever planted one!

I think many people have met this same situation so I would like to add mine here too.

I'm having the same problem with the Japanese that I eliminated. I used Civ3 Multitool to verify that there indeed were no more Japanese units or cities. The Japanes refuse to even respond to me. I'm still playing the game, but I don't really want to use space ship victory because it's boring.

I wonder, did you select to allow civs to respawn? Could the problem be occuring when a defunct civ tries to respawn but there is no space left for them? I also wonder if it might have something to do with left over captured workers.

FIRAXIS - Please fix the "ghost of civilizations lost" bug,
Old March 25, 2002, 01:58   #376
Sena
Settler

Local Time: 03:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Re: German Ghost
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

I wonder, did you select to allow civs to respawn? Could the problem be occuring when a defunct civ tries to respawn but there is no space left for them? I also wonder if it might have something to do with left over captured workers.

FIRAXIS - Please fix the "ghost of civilizations lost" bug,
To my experience, after I captured the last city of a civilisation all the wandering units were automatically gone so was the faction. My German Ghost is an exception that shouldn't happen, no idea why.

About respawn, I haven't meddled much on its option so I don't know if there exists a check box of respawn civ or not. But normally the game will respawn the eliminated civs if they die too early in game and there still be many vacant space on the map, about game balancing I think - less civilasations more space to dominate.

But at about 0AD there shouldn't be any respawn civs anymore because most of the land plausible be owned unless some tiny islands scattered around the world. Anyway at 0AD, an eliminated civilisation can build a city there only by a settler because 0AD is quite too far to propose any benefit of respawning, just irritating it bestows - for us to pursue and eliminate a city across half the world by venturing through any civilisations on the way.

Last edited by Sena; March 25, 2002 at 04:13.
Old March 25, 2002, 02:14   #377
Ethelred
King

This ghost civ bug has been fixed for the next patch.

Settlers are standing by.
Old March 25, 2002, 12:14   #378
lorddread
Warlord

the next patch
has anyone heard when the new patch is coming out?

Also has anyone heard if we will be able to move an entire stack at once or if we will be able to put units on sentry?
Old March 25, 2002, 20:34   #379
boxcarjoe
Settler

units move through goodie huts
when im playing as the americans and i move my scout through a goody hut, sometimes it will move into the goody hut and the square beyond without me moving both squares
Old March 26, 2002, 14:09   #380
falsfire3401
Settler

Re: units move through goodie huts
Quote:
Originally posted by boxcarjoe
when im playing as the americans and i move my scout through a goody hut, sometimes it will move into the goody hut and the square beyond without me moving both squares
I've had this happen too. With the brits.
Old March 27, 2002, 03:31   #381
Maccabee2
Warlord

Can anyone tell me if I should bother posting the new patch, 1.17f?

Thanks.

I just bought a newere computer and can now play civ3
Old March 29, 2002, 20:54   #382
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Anyone know when the new patch is expected?
Old March 29, 2002, 20:55   #383
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Anyone?
Old March 29, 2002, 20:57   #384
Elucidus
Prince

...Maybe I should learned to be a little more patient and wait more than 3 minutes for a response.

Waiting anxiously, and hoping it will add a lot to the editor.
Old March 31, 2002, 04:47   #385
ChaingKaiShek
Chieftain

Okay.... Am I mistaken or was stacked movement supposed to be added in version 1.17 of the patch? Because I cannot, for the life of me figure out HOW IT WORKS.

Someone help?

Chaing
Old March 31, 2002, 05:37   #386
Ethelred
King

You were sorta mistaken.

Its more like group movement and there are bugs associated with it. So be carefull.

You do it by using a hot-key. Get a unit OF THE TYPE you want to move and hit J. That will bring up a Go To icon which you can use by clicking on the tile you want them to move to.

Only the units of the same exact type will move. So if you have multiple unit types in a stack you will need to do this for each type.

ALL UNITS OF THE TYPE will be given the Go To order. Every single one. Including units in transports or fortified or even in armies. The Army will remain behind.

So you might want to experiment a bit, preferably early in a turn if you need to reload.
Old March 31, 2002, 09:23   #387
Sirbul
Settler

Local Time: 22:35
War declaration bug
Background info:
I'm finally beating the DEITY-level! Just about 50 more turns or so. A couple of turns ago the Persians declared war on the Indians (I'm Japanese in the game). I had no mutual protection pacts /w nobody. There were no message of any declaration of war against me. The Indians just attacked me and this is not the only time this has happened. Somebody declares war to somebody else, no protection pact nor alliances and suddenly they attack me and I get no message about that. This has happened only very late in the game 1900+ years. This is very annoying! Has this happened to anybody else?

The AI seems to be a bit lost when nukes are at play. They won't construct the Integrated defence small Wonder even when I'm poppin' ICBM's at their cities and have full potential to do so.

They should add a "no-aggression pact" to diplomatic agreements. Under this the attacking side's reputation would suffer more than usually when attacking. How does this sound?

-Sirbul-
Old March 31, 2002, 20:02   #388
lorddread
Warlord

declaration of war
I've had just the opposite. I've had someone (usually the Persians) declare war, and never fire a shot. It usually happens when I am under a democratic government which inflames my populace (they don't like war). The problem is that the Persians (or who ever) never want to make peace.

I have had to quit games because I couldn't control the populace after 500 years of this.

I agree on the no agression pact. I also like the fortified frontier suggested else where.
Old April 1, 2002, 01:39   #389
Spock
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Wade
not to be the bad guy but where is the multiplayer????

simply this game needs multiplayer to play smart people not a dumb computer or bad a.i. simply put thanks for reading my reply and hope for a multiplayer patch soon right guys and gals????

Multiplayer!!! One more vote right here!
Old April 2, 2002, 06:22   #390
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 21:35
In my current game I early fought 2 wars, vassalizing the Romans (they attacked) and the Babs (this time I was the evil man). Wars are over, I seized a good chunk of land with 5 luxuries and wanted to switch to builder. My problem is, that nobody wants to sign a RoP agreement with me, because "I sneak attacked the Babylonians and we can't trust you bla bla bla". I am very sure that I had no RoP agreement with the Babs. I had an embassy, but no RoP. They even asked me to remove my MW's when I attacked and I declared war. They wouldn't even have asked if I had a RoP. And no, I did not hit the wrong option (What about a RoP...) but declared war and even got attacked before I could. And it could not be the Romans because this war started even before I had Writing, so also no RoP here .

I don't know what's broken, a bug? Unfortunately, I have no savegame or such, to prove it.