Old April 2, 2002, 06:36   #391
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 12:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
They even asked me to remove my MW's when I attacked and I declared war. They wouldn't even have asked if I had a RoP.
They will do exactly that upon occasion. There is even a option to remind them they a have a ROP with you when they do that.

You may not have had a ROP with them but asking you to get out is not evidence of that.

Not sure why they do that. It may be they only try that bluff when they don't have units in your territory. They do bluff.

Also for it to be a sneak attack does not require that you have a ROP from what I understand. Any undeclared war is a sneak attack. If you had called up the Babs and canceled your peace treaty before attacking then it wouldn't have been a sneak attack I suspect.
Old April 2, 2002, 20:18   #392
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 15:36
No matter what the problem Ethel will apologize for it.

If the CD spontaneously flew out of the drive and beheaded your mother-in-law, Ethel would blame your configuration and then tell you your mother-in-law had it coming.

And tell you what a bargin you got at $69.99 and note from the designer.
Old April 2, 2002, 20:47   #393
Ethelred
King

There was nothing to aplogize for Jimmy.

I didn't make the game.

And he didn't find a bug.

If you will look up a bit in the list you will see that I posted a bug. Not one I ran into myself.

Quote:
If the CD spontaneously flew out of the drive and beheaded your mother-in-law, Ethel would blame your configuration and then tell you your mother-in-law had it coming.
Shes a mother-in-law of course she had it coming. She made a mess by losing her head when his CD player malfunctioned. Its all her fault it malfunctioned. She nagged it to death.

Quote:
And tell you what a bargin you got at $69.99 and note from the designer.
I will not apoligize for people that are dumb enough to buy a special edition. Its nothing but evolution in action. I suppose some people were happy with the tin though. Nothing else there was worth anything extra.

Where you one of those Jimmy? Well try to remember that was a bad idea. So is using liquid oxygen for a fire starter.

I have helped people get their machine working right Jimmy. What have you done to help others?
Old April 3, 2002, 01:52   #394
Spock
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:36
Disappearing act... I was playing as Persia(of course) on a standard map(islands...of course), Germany had declared war on me because I wouldn't give in to their "give us contact with the Americans" demand(by the by...America demanded the same thing on that SAME turn and also declared war on me....but thats a whole thread unto itself). Anywho...late in my tussle with Germany he manages to land two archers onto my island(I had been picking off his galleys with my frigate fleet). These afore mentioned archers land in a place where my immortals are a couple turns from them...so they proceed to destroy some of my roads, as soon as they do...they "blink" out into nothingness.
At first I wasn't sure what I had seen....so I let them make for my shores again....same thing...destroyed a road, then poof...gone.
Anyone else have this happen???
Old April 3, 2002, 03:20   #395
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 21:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
Also for it to be a sneak attack does not require that you have a ROP from what I understand. Any undeclared war is a sneak attack. If you had called up the Babs and canceled your peace treaty before attacking then it wouldn't have been a sneak attack I suspect.
When they ask me to leave and I hit "That's it, prepare for WAR", ain't this war declaration enough?

By the way Ethelred, that's a bug reporting thread here. People seriously try improve the game by reporting flaws so Firaxis can iron them out. All I did was reporting a suspected bug, without any emotion, blaming or ranting. While you often amuse me with your replies, I think here you should not take a bug report as a "whine".

EDIT: By the way, just to clarify, it IS a matter of a RoP. I didn't mention it, but it's a part the messages I receive. IIRC it is "We can't trust you for a RoP agreement, because you sneak attacked the Babylonians while you had such an agreement with them" or alike.

Last edited by Harovan; April 3, 2002 at 03:28.
Old April 3, 2002, 14:34   #396
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 16:36
Question for the admins...

Can you delete all the flames in this thread?

Even though this post isn't a flame, delete it too.
Old April 3, 2002, 15:56   #397
Ethelred
King

Quote:
When they ask me to leave and I hit "That's it, prepare for WAR", ain't this war declaration enough?
Its possible but think of it the other way around for a moment. You were in their territory. You didn't drop the peace agreament first. It might be that the other way around is OK but this isn't. That is you can tell them to get out of your territory without repurcussions. The choice on that one is get out or declare war. You chose war while you were allready in their territory.

Quote:
I think here you should not take a bug report as a "whine".
I didn't.

I was trying to help in understanding what was happening.

Quote:
IIRC it is "We can't trust you for a RoP agreement, because you sneak attacked the Babylonians while you had such an agreement with them" or alike.
You didn't say it that way the first time. If its claiming you had a ROP and you didn't then of course its a bug. However if it didn't mention a ROP with your victim then it probably isn't a bug.
Old April 4, 2002, 01:54   #398
Tormund
Settler

Local Time: 06:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Resource/Luxury Trading Bug?!?
I have found it possible in two different games to trade resources between unconnected civilizations.

Example:
I (the Babylonians) had iron to trade and the Chinese had horses and silks to trade. The trade progressed as normal and then come next turn i lost access to the horses and silks because there was no trade route (we were unconnected civilizations). It was possible to exploit this bug to gain tech advances, money, etc. Of course if I was an honourable opponent I would not have exploited this bug. NB: The option did not occur 'every' time I was trading with the Chinese.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?
Old April 4, 2002, 02:45   #399
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yup. has to do with trade networks and how war or peace can effect valid routes.

You can use roads through a neutral civ to trade. Then that neutral goes to war with you or your trading partner. Route gone. Trade negated.

It can be taken advantage of. It is not really an exploit.
Old April 4, 2002, 03:16   #400
Tormund
Settler

Local Time: 06:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Yup. has to do with trade networks and how war or peace can effect valid routes.

You can use roads through a neutral civ to trade. Then that neutral goes to war with you or your trading partner. Route gone. Trade negated.

It can be taken advantage of. It is not really an exploit.
If it was this feature that you speak of, well then I wouldn't be able to trade my iron resource with the Chinese in the same round that the original agreement broke down. However, I was able to trade my iron resource with them a number of turns in a row. Which is what led me to believe BUG, rather than FEATURE!
Old April 4, 2002, 22:33   #401
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Speed Bump

There is no economy in anarchy. You can neither gain nor lose money until you choose a new government.

Speedy
All due respect to the guy from Firaxis, you do gain money during Anarchy from interest on the gold in your treasury (What's it called, Wall Street? Anyways.)

I was gaining 50 gold per turn during anarchy in my switch from Democracy to Communism.
Old April 4, 2002, 22:45   #402
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Assuming you have the required small wonder, of course. (The one you can build after you have 5+ banks.. I think. I have to reboot and then close everything open on my comp in order to have enough memory to play Civ III 1.17f (otherwise all units appear the same color and borders are gray.), so I'm not really going to check Civ to see, and my manual appears to be inaccurate in respect to information on a few of the small wonders.)

That's really the only problem I've encountered, and it's obviously due to my only having 64 MB of ram.

(I haven't had any sound glitches, but I have sound disabled because ATM my computer currently does not know it has a sound card. It seems it likes to forget the sound card exists for 3-4 months at a time, and then remember it exists for another 3-4 months at a time, before forgetting again... I'd take it in to be fixed, but I already did that once when it forgot the keyboard existed, too. Anyhow. Better to have a computer and no sound than no computer and no sound for 2+ weeks only to have sound vanish again in another few months.)
Old April 5, 2002, 11:26   #403
Barry Caudill
PolyCast Team
Firaxis Games Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

All due respect to the guy from Firaxis, you do gain money during Anarchy from interest on the gold in your treasury (What's it called, Wall Street? Anyways.)

I was gaining 50 gold per turn during anarchy in my switch from Democracy to Communism.
I was referring only to your civs internal economy, which was what the original question was about. Sorry if I created any confusion.

Speedy
2K Games/Take 2 Interactive
Old April 5, 2002, 22:18   #404
Cluk
Settler

Ok, here's one:

Go to Espionage/Aztecs/Steal Tech/Carefully. Pick Radio. The advisor asks what you want to research now (and incorrectly says you just got flight from the Chinese)- pick "big picture". You are now trapped in the sci advisor screen, where it wants you to pick a tech to steal, but you've learned all of their techs - you are trapped. Please fix this little glitch (while you're making espionage viable, I hope.)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip cluk's buggy game.zip (169.6 KB, 0 views)
Old April 6, 2002, 03:17   #405
The Mad Monk
Emperor

The screen always seems to say I've just gotten flight from the Chinese (in espionage, anyway). Why is that?
Old April 6, 2002, 14:15   #406
Cluk
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Why is that?
I know. Espionage is so useless most of the time they didn't even bother debugging it.
Old April 6, 2002, 18:34   #407
foo12
Settler

Local Time: 13:36
Automated workers build railroads in forests---why exactly? Railroads don't add any commerce/food/proudction bonues to forests, only enhancing the movement value of the terrain. I know some people like to plaster their empires wall-to-wall with railroads, but it seems more logical (to me at least) to let the player railroad-in forests if they merit the movement increase.
Old April 6, 2002, 18:51   #408
Spock
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
Disappearing act... I was playing as Persia(of course) on a standard map(islands...of course), Germany had declared war on me because I wouldn't give in to their "give us contact with the Americans" demand(by the by...America demanded the same thing on that SAME turn and also declared war on me....but thats a whole thread unto itself). Anywho...late in my tussle with Germany he manages to land two archers onto my island(I had been picking off his galleys with my frigate fleet). These afore mentioned archers land in a place where my immortals are a couple turns from them...so they proceed to destroy some of my roads, as soon as they do...they "blink" out into nothingness.
At first I wasn't sure what I had seen....so I let them make for my shores again....same thing...destroyed a road, then poof...gone.
Anyone else have this happen???
Anyone??? or just me???
Old April 6, 2002, 21:42   #409
watorrey
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock

Anyone??? or just me???
Yes, i have seen similar things happen. I always assumed the units were disbanded for some reason.
Old April 6, 2002, 22:43   #410
Cluk
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by foo12
Automated workers build railroads in forests---why exactly?
When automated workers are out of things to do, they will start building railroads over all your territory. More annoying, they will cross over enemy territory to get to an unimproved area.
Old April 7, 2002, 00:35   #411
Coracle
Prince

So, I removed the hated 1.17 and went back to 1.16 which is better even without stack movement.

Everything is going along nicely. . . until 1490 AD - when the games CRASHES forever!!

Firaxis, this is the most irritating game I have ever played. If it's not one thing it's another messing up.
Old April 7, 2002, 14:33   #412
Cool Hand
Settler

Local Time: 20:36
Workers dropping dead - or being killed by their own troops upon entering their own city !!??

I have seen in the posts a similar experience from a few others - but does anyone have an explainaton ?? I lost 12 in a row in one memorable turn !

Possible explainations ? :
i) affects of pollution (i was mass producing nukes, but purely for deffensive reasons hehe );
ii) prolonged war weariness:
Old April 7, 2002, 22:31   #413
Spock
Chieftain

Quote:
Workers dropping dead - or being killed by their own troops upon entering their own city !!??
CH.....Was the city experiecing starvation??
Old April 8, 2002, 12:33   #414
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 16:36
Commercial Civs
If you edit the Percent Of Optimal Cities in the editor, it seems to eliminate the commercial civ corruption reduction.

Last edited by alexman; April 10, 2002 at 12:55.
Old April 8, 2002, 13:20   #415
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
(36) When, during the reports phase, the news of discovering a new advance comes in, cities that finish a job (and you have the go-to-city-screen option set) can't start on the new units / improvements / wonders that come with the new advance but have to wait until the new movement phase.

(37) All the city-lists need a complete work-over. Some are much too short (India for example!! - and where is Agra ).

The Iroquois city list is a shameful mess.

Basically, it's a summation of a bunch of Seneca reservations, followed by Mohawk reservations, and then Firaxis thought they had made the effort and finished with a list of 15 Cayuga villages in about alphabetical order (even that appeared to be difficult!) which they took from this site, apparently Firaxis' only source of information on the Iroquois:
http://www.tolatsga.org/iro.html
with no attention for (historical) significance whatsoever.

As a result, many historically important ones are missing, eg Ogdensburgh (Oswegatchie), Teyagon (Toronto), Ganaraske (Port Hope), and even Onondaga, the location of the original capital of the League (burnt down by the French in 1696; in 1798 the present American town was founded at the same site).

Then there are the more specific blunders.

Some cities appear twice: Akwesasne, the Mohawk capital, is the same as Saint-Regis; Kahnawake, the capital of the Seven Nations confederacy in Canada, is also spelled Caughnawaga (and also known as Salt Saint-Louis).

Allegheny should be Allegany (the Seneca reservation).
Mauch Chunk is a Delaware town and shouldn't appear on the list.
Centralia, aka Huron Park, should obviously go as well.
Niagara Falls is doubtful. There is a Tuscarora reservation nearby, but AFAIK it used to be Neutrals country (Iroquian, but not Iroquois). It never was the name of a native town. So, certainly not qualifying for the #2 spot.

(38) The AI can still work squares on my turf the turn my city's border expand from building a temple (ie the completion, which turns over halfway tiles to me if the AI city has no temple, not the culture effect).

Last edited by Ribannah; April 10, 2002 at 19:52.
Old April 9, 2002, 03:30   #416
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Reporting the obvious end of 3 months of "French succession game" due to permanent game crashes on several installations. Must be a game issue, not an installation issue. It begun with weird "light spots" on what was supposed to be fog of war. Now the game crashes as soon as one plays a few turns. If it helps to track down the bug, the savegame can be found here.
Old April 13, 2002, 19:19   #417
Apolex
Warlord

Screwed up Armies, Coastal Fortresses
Okay I looked through as many of the 500 posts as I could (and did searchs) to see if these bugs have already been reported, but I didn't see anything. So sorry if it's already out there, but...

In my 1.17f game the armies are totally screwed up. After I build them and start moving them, the units in them separate and move independantly, and the flag dude is somewhere several tiles away IN BETWEEN tiles. It's impossible to move around and my units that were in the army keep disappearing and appearing in different locations after each turn.

Also, aren't coastal fortresses supposed to fire at enemy ships going by? Mine still don't. I've seen them fail to fire many many times, even after this patch was installed.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Apolex
Old April 13, 2002, 19:28   #418
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Re: Screwed up Armies, Coastal Fortresses
Quote:
Originally posted by Apolex
In my 1.17f game the armies are totally screwed up. After I build them and start moving them, the units in them separate and move independantly, and the flag dude is somewhere several tiles away IN BETWEEN tiles. It's impossible to move around and my units that were in the army keep disappearing and appearing in different locations after each turn.
If you use stack movement from a square containing both an Army and others of the same type as the units in the Army, the units from the Army will leave it. This will result in weird behavior for the *flag dude* and at least 1 of the units that left the Army. It is a bug. I believe it is known to the developers. Put the misbehaving unit back into the Army. The problem should go away (did for me).

Quote:
Also, aren't coastal fortresses supposed to fire at enemy ships going by? Mine still don't. I've seen them fail to fire many many times, even after this patch was installed.
I think they do shoot on occassion. Although since 1.17f I have not had many wars where my enemy could cruise my coast, I can repeat the same info I have seen elsewhere. The Fortress only shows as firing if it actually scores a hit. Same as land units with ZOC; you don't see them shoot unless they hit.
Old April 16, 2002, 12:45   #419
Spec
Emperor

Howe come this thread hasn't been removed?!
Old April 16, 2002, 13:06   #420
bobafett
Settler

CRASH
Games crashes after I build a city with the settler that is selected when you load up the game. It crashes as soon as the turn ends.

I avoided building the city and the game crashes a few turns later whether I build the city or not. This is pissing me off.

Boba
Attached Files: