sorry about that
Old February 18, 2002, 18:44   #122
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 07:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sound crashes in advisor screen
I had this bug in 1.16 and it's still in 1.17.

Occasionally, when I'm talking to another civ, the sounds gets corrupted. It remains corrupted after I exit the advisor screen. I have to save the game and quit, then when the game goes to quit it stops responding and I have to kill it with ctrl-alt-delete.
Old February 18, 2002, 19:51   #123
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Starmouse. What sound card?

Sounds like a bit of a hardware/driver/irq problem.

Salve
Old February 18, 2002, 20:10   #124
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 20:35
Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
The Civilpedia is in error.
There's an error in civilopedia.
Old February 18, 2002, 20:16   #125
Spec
Emperor

Since the server doesn't let me erase the post above, I wanna say I'm the iliterate that can't read right before commenting....
...I can see it comin....

Last edited by Spec; February 18, 2002 at 20:25.
Old February 18, 2002, 20:18   #126
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:35
Re: Weird Unit Movement Bug
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnE
I have experienced a weird bug while trying to move units.

Sometimes, when I'm done moving a unit, it doesn't get unselected automatically. The white circle stays around the unit, looking the way it does when a unit has no movement. The panel in the lower left corner says that the unit has no movement, but the little circle that reminds me that the turn needs to be ended doesn't flash. Sometimes this happens with the last unit that needs to be moved, other times with a different unit. So sometimes I have to end the turn, and sometimes I have to manually activate some other unit to get my turn going again. Sometimes, it happens more than once in a turn. What the heck is going on?
I've had that happen to me a couple of times as well, but this was before 1.17f. I've had to click on another unit in order to get it unstuck.
Old February 18, 2002, 20:23   #127
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator

It's called Morpheus my friend, not rumors. I dled the expansion for Civ2, as the file name said, from Morpheus and installed it, thus my reason for thinking it was an expansion pack.
Blaupanzy, you should know better than making unfounded comments, and you should also dl Morpheus and see all the wonderful stuff that is available to you right away and not in stores. Sorry about that one Firaxis but dont worry, I bought the original Civ3...cause the dled one didn't work....

Spec.
Well enjoy Morpheus while you can because they have a law suit pending just like Napster. So I don't think it will around for much longer, if Napster is any indication. Same with KaZaA.
Old February 18, 2002, 20:39   #128
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Well enjoy Morpheus while you can because they have a law suit pending just like Napster. So I don't think it will around for much longer, if Napster is any indication. Same with KaZaA.
I know, but I dont care, a new one will come out sooner or later.
Old February 18, 2002, 21:21   #129
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Starmouse. What sound card?

Sounds like a bit of a hardware/driver/irq problem.

Salve
It is some variety of Soundblaster. I will post exact specs later when I have access to my PC.

My current PC has some history of sound problems under Windows, so such occurrences are not unusual. However, no other sound problems in any other application have caused that application to stop responding. I suspect there's something in the advisor screen in CIV3 that's causing it. It only happens on the Advisor screen.
Old February 19, 2002, 03:54   #130
Kilroy_Alpha
Warlord

Local Time: 12:35
Quote:

I know, but I dont care, a new one will come out sooner or later.
Which is why limewire always wins...

although lately they've added some retarded **** - good thing it's open source...
Old February 19, 2002, 03:56   #131
Kilroy_Alpha
Warlord

Why are workers altering my landscape when I hit shift-A? I thought they didn't change the terrain when I used that command. I'm using a mod, will that make any difference?
Old February 19, 2002, 03:58   #132
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 16:35
Re: Re: No way I am reading through...
Quote:

You should right click on the city and look at the terrain info. It sounds like you built it right on top of a silk resource that may be invisible. If it's there, it will no doubt appear in the terrain box.
I didn't think of that.

But in any event- it is mildly confusing, and not too intuitive (ie, I hadn't even discovered silks yet)
Old February 19, 2002, 05:23   #133
CharlesUFarley
Prince

* Astonished *
I can't believe my eyes, I go away for a week or two and low and behold they finished the next patch. I don't know what to say, is it as good as it should be? I've downloaded it, but I won't install it until I can confirm that it works 100% and makes an improvement on my current game. If this patch addresses alot of the issues that we've all been *****ing about for the last 2 months, then I take my hat off to Firaxis - they're making progress!

Charles.
Old February 19, 2002, 07:48   #134
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 17:35
Re: * Astonished *
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesUFarley
I don't know what to say, is it as good as it should be? I've downloaded it, but I won't install it until I can confirm that it works 100% and makes an improvement on my current game.
Charles.
Install it. It is worth.
Old February 19, 2002, 09:09   #135
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 21:35
Re: Re: HernyMad I found your bug!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Actually I thought that was a bug too. But since the hoplite has the same stats, without the resource requirement and is 10 shields cheaper, it's as designed.
But why did you make the Egypt War Chariot upgrade to horsemen now? This made a quite good UU nearly useless. In the few turns between The Wheel and Horseback Riding I seldom managed to build more than 4-5 War Chariots post patch. I can't believe that this is intended too... is it?
Old February 19, 2002, 09:30   #136
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

After (IIRC) entering the industrial age, workers and settlers disappear from my build list. I can still build them, but their icon doesn't appear in the build list.

Will test more tomorrow and post a screenie after I've had some sleep.
Old February 19, 2002, 10:12   #137
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
Originally posted by Rust
Are expansionist civs supposed to get a huge lead in the beginning now with the new goody huts. I found 5 settlers at least, and did they used to be called experienced settlers or should we be getting warriors cause i never found one military unit just lots of settlers and a few techs.
Confirmed. Even as the non-expansionist Babylonians, of the six huts I opened in Tournament game 1, playing with the new patch, I got 3 Settlers, 2 Barbs and 1 Tech.
Old February 19, 2002, 10:22   #138
Akaoz
Prince

Quote:

Thing is that the underlying net behind KaZaA, Morpheus and Groxter is a bit hard to get at... You might need to get a new client, but I don't see how you can stop file-sharing over the net for good.

-Alech
Old February 19, 2002, 11:08   #139
Willem
Emperor

Re: * Astonished *
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesUFarley
I can't believe my eyes, I go away for a week or two and low and behold they finished the next patch. I don't know what to say, is it as good as it should be? I've downloaded it, but I won't install it until I can confirm that it works 100% and makes an improvement on my current game. If this patch addresses alot of the issues that we've all been *****ing about for the last 2 months, then I take my hat off to Firaxis - they're making progress!

Charles.
Well Lib seems happy with it overall, does that say anything to you?
Old February 19, 2002, 11:10   #140
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
After (IIRC) entering the industrial age, workers and settlers disappear from my build list. I can still build them, but their icon doesn't appear in the build list.

Will test more tomorrow and post a screenie after I've had some sleep.
I was having that happen to me as well, pre-patch.
Old February 19, 2002, 11:17   #141
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Akaoz

Thing is that the underlying net behind KaZaA, Morpheus and Groxter is a bit hard to get at... You might need to get a new client, but I don't see how you can stop file-sharing over the net for good.

-Alech
Yes, it will be a lot harder to shut those down since they don't rely on a central server as Napster did. But they can make it very difficult for anyone to set up alternate services. It's going to be like trying to catch a prairie dog, just when they almost get it, it will go down a hole and come up someplace else.
Old February 19, 2002, 11:32   #142
Barry Caudill
PolyCast Team
Firaxis Games Executive Producer

Local Time: 15:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane
2) Not sure if this is new for v1.17f, but in my current game (started a new one with v1.17f) I went to revolution. My cash flow was -44 (to other civs), and my treasury only 10. Even though I stayed in anarchy for 5 rounds, I never lost any money! The advisor always told me "You are running low on cash" (can´t remember the exact phrase), but nothing happened. No buildings were sold or anything like that. I also checked on some of the AI civs if maybe my payments were just frozen, but the round timer just kept counting down (i.e I still had to pay the French 10 gold/turn for 15 turns when I went into revolution, but only 10 rounds when I finally could switch).
There is no economy in anarchy. You can neither gain nor lose money until you choose a new government.

Speedy
2K Games/Take 2 Interactive
Old February 19, 2002, 12:20   #143
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 22:35
I just discovered a new bug (I think). I haven't seen anybody mention it yet (sorry if I'm wrong).

The case is:

I have an army filled with tanks on the same place as I had a lot of other tanks. Now I chose one of those tanks (not the army tanks ) and press "j" to move them away, but now the army is split, the tanks in the army went with the others while the "army" didn't move. Now I could re-load some new tanks into the army which I did, but on one of the places where the army has been after this there now stands a picture of a tank (this means you see it, but it's not there, enemies can move to the place without trouble).
Old February 19, 2002, 12:26   #144
Lord of the Isles
Chieftain

Quote:
Since the server doesn't let me erase the post above, I wanna say I'm the iliterate that can't read right before commenting....
...I can see it comin....
Yes, I've noticed that Apolyton bug too: it won't let you erase Spectator's posts.

And it's "illiterate", though I guess misspelling it proves your point. Overkill, though, since the two misspellings in your sig convinced me already.

Old February 19, 2002, 12:28   #145
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
Re: Re: Re: HernyMad I found your bug!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
But why did you make the Egypt War Chariot upgrade to horsemen now? This made a quite good UU nearly useless. In the few turns between The Wheel and Horseback Riding I seldom managed to build more than 4-5 War Chariots post patch. I can't believe that this is intended too... is it?
There is a workaround.
Don't try to dicover Horseback Riding.
Old February 19, 2002, 12:38   #146
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
I just discovered a new bug (I think). I haven't seen anybody mention it yet (sorry if I'm wrong).

The case is:

I have an army filled with tanks on the same place as I had a lot of other tanks. Now I chose one of those tanks (not the army tanks ) and press "j" to move them away, but now the army is split, the tanks in the army went with the others while the "army" didn't move. Now I could re-load some new tanks into the army which I did, but on one of the places where the army has been after this there now stands a picture of a tank (this means you see it, but it's not there, enemies can move to the place without trouble).
Sounds to me like you found a loophole to not being able to unload an Army and upgrade units. Sssh, don't tell Soren.
Old February 19, 2002, 15:20   #147
Rimpy
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
I've noticed this same bug too. It'd be a nice "feature" for unloading units from an army, but it has some odd side effects that make me afraid to use it.

For example, even though the army is empty and can be loaded with new units, the army still shows the graphic of the last unit that was in it. I could unload swordsmen and reload it with pikemen, and the army would still show swordsmen.

More worrisome is the fact that units will appear in a place other than their actual location. A unit will be highlighted (with the white circle) and when I choose "go to" by holding down the mouse button, the path will originate from a completely different location. Sometimes cities will appear to be empty that actually have units, and cities will appear to have units but are actually empty.

I got the army from a barbarian village if that makes any difference. I can attach a save game that will demonstrate this problem, but I imagine that it's easily recreatable.

Rimpy
Old February 19, 2002, 15:22   #148
volcanohead
Warlord

Boring bug
The word 'the' is repeated twice in the civilpedia entry on Samurai.
Old February 19, 2002, 15:27   #149
Rimpy
Settler

Wrong nationality for captured workers
I think that this is a new bug in 1.17f, or at least I've never noticed it before. Captured workers will be displayed with the wrong nationality. If you right-click on a stack of units, the right nationality will be displayed in the list of units in the stack. However, if the captured worker is the current active unit, the wrong nationality will be displayed in the box in the lower-right hand corner of the screen.

For example, I captured some workers from the Germans. Right-clicking on the unit will correctly display "Worker (German)". However, if that unit is active, it will display "Worker (France)" in the box in the lower-right hand corner. Any captured units are displayed as "Worker (France)" regardless of nationality.

Rimpy
Old February 19, 2002, 16:14   #150
Unregistered
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:35
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse

It is some variety of Soundblaster. I will post exact specs later when I have access to my PC.

My current PC has some history of sound problems under Windows, so such occurrences are not unusual. However, no other sound problems in any other application have caused that application to stop responding. I suspect there's something in the advisor screen in CIV3 that's causing it. It only happens on the Advisor screen.
Make sure all your drivers are up-to-date. Soundcard, motherboard, vidiocard, etc. I had similar probs, seemingly soundcard related - a soundblaster - that appeared to be triggered by going into the advisor screens. Turned to be an issue with my motherboards southbridge. New drivers fixed it right up. No crashes since. Ever.

Luck,
-- "Mr. Glencannon" - Guy Gilpatrick