Old February 14, 2002, 23:03   #1
budgiebird
Settler

Local Time: 20:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Repetitive crashes late in game with Apolyton Pack! Ultra-gigantic map.
I saved the game at the end of my turn at 2187 AD
I am playing the largest map size, medium level as the Canadians.
The following stats apply:
174 cities (5 sea-based, balance land)
Virtual Democracy
Research finished at start of next turn:
UltraPressure Machines.

I click end of turn and get to 2188AD just fine, THEN no matter what I do as soon as I click the end of turn button to move to 2189, I crash REGARDLESS of what advance I select, whether or not I EVEN MOVE any units, etc.

I get that crazy little message:
CTP2 caused an invalid page fault in
module CTP2.EXE ....

It took me a long time to get there, and I don't really want to start over to find out if I have the same problem again (could take a week or so of playing), so if someone has a solution, I'd appreciate it. I can provide a copy of the savegame for anyone who wants to try to sort it out.

Thanks!
dabudgiebird
Old February 15, 2002, 07:49   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 22:36
Maybe it could be a problem with the slic code used in the game, but it could also the problem that one AI tries to pillage a neutral tileimprovement. You could go to your userprofile.txt in your ..\ctp2_program\ctp\ folder and change the entry DebugSlic in this file from Yes to No, just in the case it is not done already. If it is a slic problem you could reload slic. To do this open the Chat-Window by typing ' and enter /reloadslic. If it is a slic problem than you will get to the next turn and the problem will occur the next turn probably, but than we would know that this is the problem. It could also be the neutral tile improvement pillage thing. Than you have to add a certain piece of slic that I can send you. But in this case it would be better if you attach the savegame here compressed as *.zip file. Use WinZip for this task.

And finally it could be another problem I gave the AI once all advances and a lot of PW and the game crashed. Finally I figured out that this was a problem with the Gaja-Controller, probably it has to do with the obelisks. But I never came so far to find a sollution for this problem.

-Martin
Old February 15, 2002, 14:03   #3
budgiebird
Settler

Regarding suggestions:

Debugslic was already set to "no". I'm not sure if I did the rest properly, but it didn't appear to make a difference.

By the way, the crash is instantaneous upon clicking the "end-turn". There does not appear to be any time for AI response... but that's only my perception.

A copy of the save game is on it's way to you (Martin) via regular e-mail.

Thanks again!

IMPORTANT QUESTION TO MARTIN: Can your GOODMOD be used in combination with the Ultra-Gigantic mod? How? I'm a newbie with this mod thing.

dabudgiebird

PS. This is my first "real game" in CTP2... Never had the time before, and I've learned LOTS that I'd change next time. Of course, I'd like to avoid a repeat of this problem.
Old February 15, 2002, 18:39   #4
budgiebird
Settler

More info on repetitive crashes
More details... maybe a bit of a help I hope!

I looked at the save games and noticed that every year they INCREASE in size. The size is 888k in 2187AD.

After I advance to 2188AD, Autosave is 688k and so is QuickSave!

Manual saves in 2188AD yield a filesize of 886k.

Have I exceeded a limit of some sort?

Also, I THINK this is the only time I've ever heard it, but at the VERY end of the AI's turn in 2187AD, I hear a sharp "rifle report". The best AI Unit is Artillery, Facists and Fighters.

Thanks

dabudgiebird
Old February 17, 2002, 07:42   #5
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by budgiebird
IMPORTANT QUESTION TO MARTIN: Can your GOODMOD be used in combination with the Ultra-Gigantic mod? How? I'm a newbie with this mod thing.
It is very simple:
After installation just start ModSwapper and select form the list: GoodMod for Apolyton Pack V1.0! Ultra-gigantic map. But note every game that is created with another mod are incompartible with GoodMod. You have to start a new game anyway if you want to play with GoodMod.

Quote:
Have I exceeded a limit of some sort?
Actual not, I found on my harddrive a 4000 BC game of a size of 1.059 KB, I am able to load this game and I can go to the next turn without any problem, except of the speed, but I shouldn't wonder if I create a map that is 16 times bigger than the default gigantic one and 4 times bigger than the Apolyton Pack ultra gigantic one, and if I put in addition 28 civs on it, than the long delay of half an hour for the first turns on my old K6 233 MHZ computer was perefect.

So far I added the neutral tile improvement pillage prevention code. -No effect. I disabled all the fan created slic code. -No effect, too. Therefore it is not a slic problem or the thing with neutral tile improvements.

In another trial I declared war on all the opponents. Afterwards I hit the end turn botton I got a diplomacy request of player 2 for a chease fire or a piece treaty. Afterwards I agreed or rejected the offer the game crashed.

Than I used the cheat editor to conquer all the cities of player 2. I expected the game will now go to the next turn. But as player 4 moved an air unit the game crashed again. Maybe that could also be a problem caused by player 6, as I changed with the cheat editor to player 4 and soon as I hit the end turn button the game crashed.
So far it looks that the goes something wrong during the AI turns. I think finally it is a task of preventing the AI from doing something. So far I have no idea what it could be.

-Martin
Old February 17, 2002, 13:19   #6
budgiebird
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

It is very simple:
After installation just start ModSwapper and select form the list: GoodMod for Apolyton Pack V1.0! Ultra-gigantic map. But note every game that is created with another mod are incompartible with GoodMod. You have to start a new game anyway if you want to play with GoodMod.
I figured that, but what I meant is there a way to combine the mods... e.g. start a new game with a combination of GoodMod and Ultra-gigantic?

ALSO - I had saved a game in the 2140's, so I will try to play from there and see. Maybe it's a savegame corruption of some kind which doesn't make sense because you would think the problem would occur instantly.

I will let you know the results... could take a couple of days.

Thanks Martin!

budgiebird
Old February 17, 2002, 13:56   #7
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
I figured that, but what I meant is there a way to combine the mods... e.g. start a new game with a combination of GoodMod and Ultra-gigantic?
Actual that is the combination of GoodMod and Ultra-Gigantic. Originally I made GoodMod for CityMod2 and for both Apolyton Pack settings. Finally I added Cradle and MedPack2 support. In the end I removed Cradle support, as GoodMod is now a part of the default Cradle setup.

You can take a look into the GM1_APOLUL_gamefile.txt in your ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ folder. You will notice that this file contains a list of files found in the ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\, ..\ctp2_data\default\aidata\ and ..\ctp2_data\english\gamedata\ folders. These files will be loaded if you start a game with the GoodMod for Apolyton Pack! Ultra-gigantic map. You will notice that the files on the list have different prefixes. GM1_ files are from GoodMod and designed to run with the GoodMod for CityMod2 setup, at first. But these files can also be used for ApolytonPack. Than there will you find APOL_ files. These files are from ApolytonPack, and are used for the "The way it should be" setup and for the "Ultra-gigantic map" setup. By the way a lot of these files can be found in CityMod2. Than you can also find files with the APOLUL_ prefix. These files are used for the "Ultra-gigantic map" version. And finnally you can find files with a combination of these prefixes. That are files that I modified a little bit for better balance and are made for only one setup exclusivly.

Note that Apolyton Pack is now more than half a year old. In the mean time we find better sollutions for some problems or find the sollutions.

For example so far I didn't figured out why I only get maps without hills on the biggest map size that Apolyton Pack offers. I think the problem is located in the APOLUL_map.txt. That is another thing that I noticed in your game. Usually I start games with less land and more islands than you did it in your game. Another remarkable think is that obviously one AI civ conquered two another civs far away from its homebase.

-Martin
Old April 11, 2002, 05:35   #8
seanas
Settler

my last two games have both crashed because of this particular bug (both have been ultra-gigantic, hard; current one is on turn 490).

i've tried the various workarounds listed in the forums, but /reload slic hasnt helped, nor does it seem to be a neutral tile pillage - only one ai is in a position to pillage, and only one of its units, and that unit moves its full quota in the turn just prior to crashing. plus i quite audibly get the 'building completed' sound moments just prior to the 'rifleshot' which signals the crash to desktop.

actually, the sound is more the mobile SAM attack sound, or the sound of units spontaneously dying cos they've done something impossible (such as tanks occuping-destroying a city built on a mountain) - which made me think. what is common to both games that have crashed is i've had space planes in orbit and due to land when it crashed to desktop. there does seem to be a problem with space planes in the apolyton pack - sometimes they wont go into orbit, sometimes they only go into orbit and dont have ordinary moves (both could easily be my own stupidity, i realise).

i dont know if i've installed the air unit land slic patch - im running apolyton pack 1.02, so i think i have, and i've not had any problems with air units other than space planes. im kinda unwilling to go back to the previous saved version (a full 25 turns ago ) or to start a new game if its gonna crash to desktop again when i approach the endgame (which is the part of ctpII i enjoy most).

cheers,

sean
Old April 11, 2002, 22:25   #9
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
V1.02 has the airunit.slc script in it.

The only thing I can think of, is that an AI has died, and this causes the same problem that cradle and med mod had before we found the fix. That of the AI diplomatic strategy/personality changer for new AI players. Take a look at the Cradle thread for the fix to this. You'll need to add in the extra lines that needed to go in diplomod.slc for Cradle and med mod.

Hope this helps.
Old April 12, 2002, 15:15   #10
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
The only thing I can think of, is that an AI has died, and this causes the same problem that cradle and med mod had before we found the fix. That of the AI diplomatic strategy/personality changer for new AI players. Take a look at the Cradle thread for the fix to this. You'll need to add in the extra lines that needed to go in diplomod.slc for Cradle and med mod.
Unfortunatly that wasn't the case in budgiebird's game. IIRC I disabled all the slic without any success. I took out one civ with the help of the cheat editor out of the game just to see that the problem moved on to the next civ. The civ that I killed hadn't any aircrafts. But the next one the game crashed when they tried to move a helicopter.

-Martin
Old April 13, 2002, 07:04   #11
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 15:36
Martin,

I'm getting the same type of report in Cradle games using Ultra-gigantic maps. (late game crashes) I'm beginning to wonder if these maps are all that stable.

Dale,
I don't remember seeing anything about the actual fix you mentioned. Could you provide a link?
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old April 13, 2002, 13:19   #12
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
I'm getting the same type of report in Cradle games using Ultra-gigantic maps. (late game crashes) I'm beginning to wonder if these maps are all that stable.
From the other thread it was connected to the Gaja Controller, but budgiebird didn't started the to build the Gaja Controller. The problem is also not slic dependent, I disabled all of the slic, the game still crashs. I only know that obviously one AI civ took out one or two another AI civs the consequence is that the slot for player 3 is empty and I can't access player 4 maybe I should conquer them, too. But so far it looks that there are two reasons to crash in one game on the same turn. So it could be that the diplomacy could cause the crash.

-Martin
Old April 15, 2002, 07:09   #13
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
Dale,
I don't remember seeing anything about the actual fix you mentioned. Could you provide a link?
My apologies mate, the LINK to the relevant thread is on page 3 of Cradle's thread. Anyways, here it is....

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=44416