Old November 2, 2000, 09:26   #1
jrhughes98

2D or 3D Animated Maps
It would be great if Civ3 had 3D animated maps, although it may be wise to use to only 2D maps because 3D would use a lot of processing power. Animation would allow players to see raging waterfalls, river rapids, and river currents. It would be easy to tell which direction down a river is upstream and which direction is downstream (helps canoes). Can anyone think of any other good uses for 2D or 3D animated maps?

------------------
JRH

Old November 2, 2000, 10:14   #2
rremus
Warlord

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
To be honest, I can hardly see any use of animation at all, units or map elements... Can be fun at the first time I play, but after a while I turn it off, if I can. It's only increasing the time to develeop the game and is adding a LOT of resources needed to play the game. I think that the fact that I had to BUY a TNT2 video board just to play PanzerGeneral3 is a good point!
Old November 2, 2000, 10:36   #3
jrhughes98

quote:

Originally posted by rremus on 11-02-2000 09:14 AM
To be honest, I can hardly see any use of animation at all, units or map elements... Can be fun at the first time I play, but after a while I turn it off, if I can. It's only increasing the time to develeop the game and is adding a LOT of resources needed to play the game. I think that the fact that I had to BUY a TNT2 video board just to play PanzerGeneral3 is a good point!

To be honest, I'm looking for a major upgrade from Civ2 to Civ3; one that will support the computing power of high-end systems, while at the same time will run on low-end machines. If Civ3 is not a major upgrade, I definitley will NOT buy.

Another feature I think at least a 2D map could show is terrain elevation.

------------------
JRH
[This message has been edited by jrhughes98 (edited November 02, 2000).]

Old November 2, 2000, 10:46   #4
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 01:35
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
I much prefer the quiet, relaxing isometric view of Civ2 over 3D and animated units etc. I want to be able to think straight, can't do that if the screen is constantly demanding my attention.

- Rib -

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old November 2, 2000, 11:37   #5
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:35
Local Date: October 30, 2010
correct me if I'm wrone but I heard, Somewhere, that they were going to use a whole new engine for civ 3 and that it would be in 3D. But, don't take my word on that, I can't find the source anymore.
Old November 2, 2000, 11:41   #6
ColdWizard
Civilization II MultiplayerGameLeagueNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:35
2d and 3d maps would be great as long as it doesn't slow down multiplayer play
Old November 2, 2000, 17:14   #7
Builder

both.

and we will choose.
Old November 2, 2000, 17:21   #8
jrhughes98

The hails call out your name, glorious Builder, and all is well with the people!

------------------
JRH
[This message has been edited by jrhughes98 (edited November 02, 2000).]

Old November 2, 2000, 18:50   #9
chrispie
Warlord

I think 3d maps would be great, who here wouldn't like to fly over the alps to see their mighty armies stationed there? eh?

But, for the sake of good fast flowing gameplay, I think 2d would be better...so I go for 2d.
Old November 2, 2000, 19:56   #10
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:35
quote:

It would be great if Civ3 had 3D animated maps, although it may be wise to use to only 2D maps because 3D would use a lot of processing power. Animation would allow players to see raging waterfalls, river rapids, and river currents. It would be easy to tell which direction down a river is upstream and which direction is downstream (helps canoes). Can anyone think of any other good uses for 2D or 3D animated maps?
quote:

2D or 3D Animated Maps
I was about to go nuts when I first saw the title of the thread! Then I saw that the suggestion was for 3d animation and not having a 3d engine. There was the big debate about it some months back, here. So as to the 3d-animation, it's a good addition but there are definitely higher priorities.

quote:

Another feature I think at least a 2D map could show is terrain elevation.
I think the SMAC map already shows elevation very well. Just change the colours from red to green and it'll be fine.

quote:

To be honest, I'm looking for a major upgrade from Civ2 to Civ3; one that will support the computing power of high-end systems, while at the same time will run on low-end machines. If Civ3 is not a major upgrade, I definitley will NOT buy.
That's what everyone says - but if you think about it, Civ2 was almost perfect. It had simple ideas and yet had immense replay value. All that was missing was a strong AI and better diplomacy - which I think are really the only areas that needs to be fixed in Civ3. I wouldn't even care if the SMAC graphx engine was recyled with just the palette changed.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old November 2, 2000, 21:34   #11
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

2D, is a must.

3D would take too long to load and is blockier in polygons. (but not in a half-year) It also has high requirements.
Old November 2, 2000, 23:07   #12
ContradictioN

jrhughes98, I can tell you're a thinker! :]

A little advice, you're pretty much sitting inside a beehive full of linear people. Only a few will think hard about what will make something better. Do not force yourself to try and help them understand, it just doesn't work..

I have faith in Sid, I don't think he is linear at all, I think he is a thinker like you and me.

Old November 3, 2000, 00:25   #13
Antonios
Settler

3D maps!Nothing else!
Old November 3, 2000, 01:19   #14
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 18:35
If it will slow down Multiplaying games then I think it is definity a bad idea. However, if 3D maps would have no effect whatsoever on the lag time of a multiplayer game, then go for it!
Old November 3, 2000, 02:19   #15
UltraSonix
King

quote:

A little advice, you're pretty much sitting inside a beehive full of linear people. Only a few will think hard about what will make something better. Do not force yourself to try and help them understand, it just doesn't work..

We do think long and hard - but unlike you guys, we aren't just dreamers - there are limits to what can be done and what can't. If you want to keep dreaming about something that can never be done properly, fine by me...

Instead of just saying that 3d animaiton is great, blah blah, offer a way that it can be done. How can the existing map [the smac one] facilitate such a thing? It can't! So what should Firaxis do? Waste their resources improving an aspect of gameplay that is totally unimportant to all but a very few? An anspect of gameplay that will quickly be forgotten as the player delves deeper into the game? You guys would do well to remember Diablo 2 - its graphics engine was terrible, but because the programmers focused on the core gameplay issues, the game turned out to be excellent. Firaxis should do likewise and not waste too much time on creating cute 3d waterfalls - I assure you, the novelty will very quickly wear off.

See - we do think. And not as linear as has been suggested. We just think realistically.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited November 03, 2000).]
Old November 3, 2000, 02:37   #16
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
quote:

To be honest, I'm looking for a major upgrade from Civ2 to Civ3

I agree, but a major upgrade means for me something else then just 3D graphics. I expect better diplomacy, trade, AI, combat, goverment model, new ideas like rise and fall of empires, borders, tourism, news reports, no more ICS or BAB, and so on.

Of course, better graphics is a must, but I hope Firaxis will focus on the more important things I described earlier. Just to be clear: I'm for beautiful graphics. 3D? I don't know. Anyway far, far more important for me is the gameplay.
Old November 3, 2000, 07:12   #17
UltraSonix
King

quote:

Anyway far, far more important for me is the gameplay.

Exactly - Like I said above, having 3d graphx doesn't mean a thing - the novelty would wear off very quickly...

------------------
Old November 3, 2000, 09:47   #18
jrhughes98

quote:

Originally posted by Tiberius on 11-03-2000 01:37 AM
I agree, but a major upgrade means for me something else then just 3D graphics. I expect better diplomacy, trade, AI, combat, goverment model, new ideas like rise and fall of empires, borders, tourism, news reports, no more ICS or BAB, and so on.

Of course, better graphics is a must, but I hope Firaxis will focus on the more important things I described earlier. Just to be clear: I'm for beautiful graphics. 3D? I don't know. Anyway far, far more important for me is the gameplay.

Of course I want more than just 2D, 3D graphics!! Read my other posts in this forum to find out more.

------------------
JRH

Old November 3, 2000, 15:21   #19
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:35
quote:

Originally posted by Ribannah on 11-02-2000 09:46 AM
I much prefer the quiet, relaxing isometric view of Civ2 over 3D and animated units etc. I want to be able to think straight, can't do that if the screen is constantly demanding my attention.

I have to agree with Rib on this one. They (Firaxis) probably add animated units however. The only 3D-effect i could accept would be some kind of reliefed map (still isometric view) with (very minor) elevated increments from deep ocean all the way to mountain.

But thats about it. Wavy SMAC-style map? No thanks.
Old November 3, 2000, 16:47   #20
Antonios
Settler

I think that we must think and act like jrhughes98.We must demand from Firaxis MAJOR changes.We need a NEW game which will become the most famous game ever produced and will set new standars.Stop crying about requirements!Be more smart!Look in the future!Ask for more changes which will make the game more realistic.And be sure;when Civ3 come you will be proud for yourselves!
Old November 3, 2000, 16:57   #21
jrhughes98

Another thing that I think maps can portray is ocean surface currents. Realistically, early and middle age ships (not powered by motors) followed the ocean surface currents to their destinations; they didn't just take their own route. I think it could work in the game because when a ship travels with a current rather than against it, it should be able to travel more quickly. I think that ocean surface currents should be programmed into any map generated by the game, and that players should be able to program ocean surface currents into their own maps. Check out the following article if you like:

OCEAN SURFACE CURRENTS. The ocean surface currents are determined to a great extent by the winds. In both the Northern and Southern hemispheres, the winds blow generally from the west at high latitudes and from the east at low latitudes. They are called prevailing winds (see Wind; Weather). These winds apply a torque, or twisting force, to the surface of the oceans. It is easy to visualize how such a force would cause currents to circulate clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, counterclockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. The currents on the western sides of the oceans, such as the Gulf Stream in the North Atlantic Ocean, are stronger than those on the eastern sides. This effect is caused by the rotation of the Earth. A water particle that moves toward either pole from the equator is subjected to a torque due to the Earth's rotation in addition to the torque applied by the wind. When the water particle moves toward the equator, however, the effect of the torque due to the Earth's rotation is reversed--it is then in opposition to the torque applied by the wind. On the western sides of oceans in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres, this causes the surface currents--which flow poleward, away from the equator--to be narrower and swifter than the complementary currents which flow toward the equator on the eastern sides of the oceans.

Ocean Currents Have Similarities
The corresponding currents in different oceans would be expected to have similar characteristics. While the movement of ocean water is in reality a complicated process, a current such as the Gulf Stream--which is the western-boundary current in the North Atlantic Ocean--has much in common with the western-boundary current of the North Pacific Ocean--the Kuroshio, or Japan Current. The eastern-boundary current in the North Pacific Ocean--the California Current--is likewise similar to the eastern-boundary current in the South Pacific Ocean--the Peru Current, or Humboldt Current. Oceanographers continue to learn more about the major ocean currents. In recent years, two currents in particular have been studied. One is the Gulf Stream; the other is a strange, recently discovered current that flows eastward along the equator, just below the surface of the Pacific and Atlantic oceans and, at times, the Indian Ocean. The Pacific Equatorial Undercurrent, also called the Cromwell Current, does not appear on the chart of ocean surface currents. The Cromwell Current is embedded in the westward-flowing Pacific South Equatorial Current. Its top is found between 150 and 300 feet (46 and 91 meters) below the ocean surface. The Cromwell Current, only about 500 feet (150 meters) thick, is 250 miles (402 kilometers) wide. Most currents shift their positions, but the Cromwell Current is always centered on the equator.

---------------------------------------------------------
From Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia Deluxe © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc.

------------------
JRH

Old November 3, 2000, 17:49   #22
jrhughes98

quote:

Originally posted by Antonios on 11-03-2000 03:47 PM
I think that we must think and act like jrhughes98.We must demand from Firaxis MAJOR changes.We need a NEW game which will become the most famous game ever produced and will set new standars.Stop crying about requirements!Be more smart!Look in the future!Ask for more changes which will make the game more realistic.And be sure;when Civ3 come you will be proud for yourselves!

Why thank you, Antonios?! I'm glad to know that at least one person can understand my point of view.

------------------
JRH

Old November 3, 2000, 17:50   #23
UltraSonix
King

Ocean currents are fine, but I just wonder if they should actually have an effect on the game, and shouldn't just there for aesthetic purposes... now there's an idea for a new thread.

quote:

Stop crying about requirements!
Please don't bury your head in the sand.

quote:

Be more smart!Look in the future!Ask for more changes which will make the game more realistic
Adding 3d animations are useless in this respect - it won't make the game more realistic, because after a few hours, the player will stop noticing it.

quote:

I think that we must think and act like jrhughes98.We must demand from Firaxis MAJOR changes.We need a NEW game which will become the most famous game ever produced and will set new standars.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There are very few things wrong with civ2. Certainly there are certain areas that can be overhauled or majorly improved, and those areas have been discussed, in the List or elsewhere - the graphix engine is not an area that needs considerable improvement. But it takes resources to add all the little 3d stuff, and to what end? So you can point and say, heh, there's a waterfall and there's a guys falling over it?! I'd much rather they spent all their efforts improving the parts of the game that actually needs improving. And if Firaxis does that, then the game will become "the most famous game ever produced". It doesn't need cute little sprites of waterfalls to do this.

------------------
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited November 03, 2000).]
Old November 3, 2000, 17:59   #24
jrhughes98

quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 11-03-2000 04:50 PM
It doesn't need cute little sprites of waterfalls to do this.

I didn't just dream up the idea of waterfalls on maps just for looks. I thought of this idea because waterfalls, in reality, are dangerous if boats (especially non-motored) get caught in river rapids, unable to escape, and go over the falls. Think about it.

------------------
JRH
[This message has been edited by jrhughes98 (edited November 03, 2000).]

Old November 3, 2000, 22:38   #25
Biddles
Prince

Graphics are important, but I would rather see gameplay.

However I think that firaxis will probably go with 3D graphics. They are creating a whole new graphics engine and I don't see what the point of doing that would be if they were going to use 2D graphics (I'm sure they have plenty of 2D engines, i.e. SMAC gfx engine, that they could have used).

And to Ultra and everyone else worrying about whether it will run on your computer don't, by the time firaxis releases civ3 we will all be using Quantum Computers anyway.

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
Old November 3, 2000, 22:48   #26
ContradictioN

Maybe it would be a good idea for Firaxis to tell us what its going to be, 3D or 2D? Then people can give proper suggestions to suit the interface.

would be a risk for them though, If they say its 3d, and most of the ppl here get angry....hmm..they may want to back it up with screenshots? when is their website comin!

Old November 3, 2000, 23:58   #27
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:35
quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 11-03-2000 04:50 PM
Ocean currents are fine, but I just wonder if they should actually have an effect on the game, and shouldn't just there for aesthetic purposes... now there's an idea for a new thread.

quote:

Stop crying about requirements!

Please don't bury your head in the sand.

quote:

Be more smart!Look in the future!Ask for more changes which will make the game more realistic
Adding 3d animations are useless in this respect - it won't make the game more realistic, because after a few hours, the player will stop noticing it.

quote:

I think that we must think and act like jrhughes98.We must demand from Firaxis MAJOR changes.We need a NEW game which will become the most famous game ever produced and will set new standars.

People that actually do this for living (software development and software engineering) ARE FIRED for not understanding requirements. And I'm not talking about your home pc system requirements. There are lot of factors in programming. It's worthwhile understanding them...bloated code just doesn't somehow magically run itself.

Fixed sp and html...thx UltraSonix

[This message has been edited by Shogun Gunner (edited November 03, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Shogun Gunner (edited November 04, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Shogun Gunner (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old November 4, 2000, 00:32   #28
UltraSonix
King

quote:

I didn't just dream up the idea of waterfalls on maps just for looks. I thought of this idea because waterfalls, in reality, are dangerous if boats (especially non-motored) get caught in river rapids, unable to escape, and go over the falls. Think about it.
In that case I completely disagree with the idea - it's too minor and would increase micromanagement unecessarily.

quote:

And to Ultra and everyone else worrying about whether it will run on your computer don't, by the time firaxis releases civ3 we will all be using Quantum Computers anyway.
Maybe not quite, but I'm not that worried about the sys reqs. I'm more worried about them wasting their time on an aspect of the game that it relatively unimportant.

And Shogun G, I didn't understand your post, you might want to check out this very funny thread for how to use quotes... Anyway:
quote:

There are lot of factors in programming.
Exactly - so they shouldn't bother trying to design a Quake 3 rivalling graphx engine, just try to focus on the things that needs to be fixed/improved. Waterfalls aren't one of those things.

------------------
Old November 4, 2000, 01:19   #29
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
quote:

Of course I want more than just 2D, 3D graphics!!

The fact that you want more than just 3D graphics for Civ3 is a good thing, but you can't just simply say "I want 3D graphics AND all the other stuff". Firaxis must focus on certain areas of the game development. What I (and many others) am saying is that Firaxis should focus on AI, diplomacy, trade, etc... and, if they still have time and resources, on graphics. Only then and only if this doesn't hurt the gameplay.
Old November 4, 2000, 01:50   #30
jrhughes98

I believe in setting high standards for the 21st Century.

------------------
JRH