Old February 18, 2002, 10:11   #1
=DrJambo=
Prince

Local Time: 20:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
1.17f and the speed of tech advancing!!!
Playing on Monarch level, large map and 12 civs.

I am currently ranked 4 in the demographic list although i'm probably higher in terms of culture and military clout than this rank would suggest.

Now, i know that tech trading has become a serious number 1 priority with the AI, especially amongst themselves.

HOwever, it's just gone in to the 1500s and i am nearly at replaceable parts and combustion... now correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this a little premature for artillery, infantry and destroyers?! If i was way out in the lead occupying half the world then i might understand this... but i am only adequately positioned...

Everyone is so very technologically advanced, even inferior nations to me seem to be further ahead tech wise?!?

WEIRD!

It strikes me that the importance of tech trading amongst the AI is seriously speeding up the game, at least on Monarch with 12 civs on a large map. ALso, without the 5 or so free techs i got from goody huts and the Great Library, i'd be massively behind. As it is i'm just beginning to catch up with the AI now...

Previously, 8 civs on a standard map, the tech rate ran about normal with history, but things have somewhat changed since the AI became tech whores!

Maybe i'll need to adjust the tech rate in the editor to accommodate the significant speed of advancement?!

And yes, the AI is definitely better in the early periods than the Industrial onwards... this is the time we human players catch up! How has anyone else found the tech rate on certain sized maps with certain number of civs?
Old February 18, 2002, 10:27   #2
Spec
Emperor

I haven't syarted a new game with the new patch yet but until now I haven't seen any changes in techs...
Old February 18, 2002, 11:28   #3
Ironikinit
Prince

Local Time: 15:44
I dunno, having replacable parts by 1500 AD doesn't seem out of whack based on my experience. Might be a little earlier then I usually get it, I'm not sure.
Old February 18, 2002, 13:33   #4
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 21:44
I have only finished one game with v1.17. My empire consisted of 12 cities and was no. 2 or 3 in the histograph, and I entered the industrial age around 1350, which was quite early compared to my previous games.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old February 18, 2002, 15:15   #5
Myrddin
Warlord

Same experience at Monarch using 1.17f - lauching the spaceship by 1850

At Regent, using 1.16f, the best I achieved was c1950

The techs do seem to come quicker - especially the optional techs in each era. Alos a couple of times I reached a tech in far fewer turns than I was expecting eg the indicator said 16 turns but it completed next turn.