Old February 18, 2002, 14:14   #1
volcanohead
Warlord

Local Time: 21:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What we have here... is a problem with communication
I posted the following in one of the topped threads, in retrospect that was probably the wrong place and so I am starting a new thread here...

There are many posters here who have supported the Civ series for many years, who feel personally involved with the game, and who are smart. And we have Firaxis who, by all accounts, are similarly motivated by Civ, and are beavering away coming up with solutions to the problems that have been raised by posters on these boards and other forums.

The problem is that many posters are driven to frustration by the lack of information coming from Firaxis, and I can imagine that many Firaxians must get pretty frustrated with what they read on these boards. I can understand why Firaxis wants to be close-lipped about what they're doing, having being burnt badly by recent events.

Markos already does much to improve the quantity of information provided to us, but I have to say that he sometimes does appear to be overtly negative to some posters who are critical of Firaxis, and overly lenient with some of the disgusting comments made by the 'anti-whiner' crowd (Ironikinit should have been publicly humiliated for the ****-sucker post, but I saw nothing).

Now Markos made a fair point elsewhere, that in every thread there is usually some signal and a lot of noise, and it can be time consuming to filter out that noise.

I'd like to suggest to Markos to open two threads, which are only open to him and which contain the following:

Thread 1: Apolyton's approved comments, suggestions, bugs and criticisms with regard to Civ3

Thread 2: Distilled information deriving from Firaxis.

In this way, the comment that Markos made about the difficulty Firaxis has in finding the relevant information from us is resolved, and we have a one-stop-shop for the latest from Firaxis.

This is obviously a fair amount of work, and requires Markos to read through each thread and take the sensible and cogent comments he thinks relevant to insert into the first thread. Optimistically though, if people now that if they post a clear and well argued case for something or other, then there is a fair chance it will be included in 'the list', and this will increase the quality of posting as well as reducing frustration.

It will also open up Markos to criticism as it will be very clear to all of us what his ideas and opinions are in the selection process. And for this I can understand if he thinks its a bad idea. Personally, I believe that he has enough objectivity to do this well, and it could serve as a safety valve for all of us.

Regards

V
Old February 18, 2002, 14:27   #2
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 15:45
Well said. I'd go for that.
Old February 18, 2002, 14:38   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Just because you saw nothing doesn't mean it didn't happen. The moderators have always been pretty low key about enforcing the board rules. People get warned and banned without a big public song and dance. If a thread gets deleted you can bet it was for a very good reason and those reasons passed on in private.

Anyone on the board could begin a new "List" if they were prepared to put in all the hard work. Its been done quite often in the past and it doesn't need Markos to do more than top it if it holds useful information. In the meantime Firaxis still pop up and show they're listening in the strategy forum and elsewhere even if they don't routinely post on General. If they say anything newsworthy it'll appear on the Civ III page pretty fast
Old February 18, 2002, 15:30   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 17:45
Grumbold:
Old February 18, 2002, 16:24   #5
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Excellent post, volcanohead I agree fully! But I think the community forum is the proper forum for this, after all you don´t really want to give Mark a reason to send you to Mingapulco...

I had a similar thread in making in the community forum regarding the manners of the mods, especially after the **** sucking incident (!) and Mings pissing contest with Lib, where Ming said things that would have got ANYBODY ELSE banned for at least a week