Old February 18, 2002, 16:01   #1
TinCow
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Most commonly eliminated (and powerful) civs.
Jaybe posted in another thread about how he finds the Greeks and Romans always getting killed off by other AIs in his games. I, on the other hand, have seen pretty much everyone finish the game at one point or another with the exception of the Zulus, who always die early or midgame depending on their starting position. Also, I almost always end up having to confront the Chinese and Japanese in the endgame... they don't always survive, but they always seem to be serious challengers whenever they are in the game.

What are your experiences as to the most commonly eliminated and powerful AI civs?

Last edited by TinCow; February 19, 2002 at 14:18.
Old February 18, 2002, 16:25   #2
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 20:45
Me it's the exact opposite. China, India and japan always die first and the french and english always team-up on me. As for the Zulus, they ALWAYS bug the hell out of me until the eng of the game or until I decide to crush them like the flies that tehy are!

Spec.
Old February 18, 2002, 16:28   #3
fezick31
Warlord

Local Time: 15:45
The Aztecs always seem to be giants in the end game. The Russians also tend to get big in my games.

I've always noticed that the babylonians and the romans (although I usually play as the romans) either get wiped out, or never expand to a great empire. The same with the Zulu, as long as they are curbed early on by a small war.
Old February 18, 2002, 16:40   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:45
BTW, I have been playing as the Babylonians or (in my current game) the Aztecs.

Also, I have had MUCH experience,
but I'm only on my fourth game.
Old February 18, 2002, 16:54   #5
Ironwood
Prince

I don't know how they fare in the late game, but the Germans always seem to be a major danger in the very early game.

You're right about the Romans. They always seem to be a minor player.

The French tend to be the secondary power, when I've seen them.

The Russians used to get big, but lately, they've started on my border more often than not, and thus, end up a minor tributary to my vast empire. Still, in my most recent game, they were the greatest in the world, even greater than me (I was playing the Egyptians for the first time and wasted time eliminating the Japanese).

The Babylonians? Don't have much experience playing against them, but they kicked my arse in my first Monarchy game. I was playing India, and couldn't hold onto an Iron source to counter their bowmen. The only other time was on Reagent, and I was playing the Persians. They were my competitor on a small island, and thus, were wiped out.

The Greeks seem highly variable, at times periferal to another power, at times the great power themselve. The Americans seem to have the same degree of variability.

The Iroqois always seem to end up my partner in crime, since I always want to make sure they hold on to their land, rather than letting my actual rivals get it. They suck, but are nice and friendly.
Take me as I am.
Old February 18, 2002, 17:09   #6
Oerdin
Deity

My vote is for the Babalonians; they just can't seem to make it past the midgame.
Old February 18, 2002, 17:23   #7
Taxidopolis
Chieftain

I've been playing as French mostly and find Shaka eliminated or completely mangled early on, Egyptians usually slapped down early mid-game by, and Russia always being a big player throughout.

It maybe the culturally similar starting positions has a part in this since I have to box in England, pacify or wipe out Germans and Rome to advance my Civ right from the start, them being near neighbours, whereas Russia is usually a long way away.

I suppose you could look at the Tournament save-games that have been sent in to see if there's any regularities in the finishing positions of the civs in those games ?
Old February 18, 2002, 20:13   #8
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 06:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It seems everyones getting different results, which is good!

For me, China and/or Russia always seem to get really huge. They're my biggest rivals in my current game. French/babylonians/aztecs are always kinda secondary.
Old February 18, 2002, 21:06   #9
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:45
For me, the aztecs always seem to get gang-beaten by all the other civs and get wiped out around mid-game.

India usually ends up becoming the dominant civ.
Old February 18, 2002, 21:18   #10
Worthingtons
Prince

The Romans probably get wiped because thier civ traits one has to play to... Militaristic is only any good if you make use of it.. as are the Legions . I play Romans in most my games, and find them a good civ to actually play.

Americans usually hold thier own in my games, as does Mother Russia.

The French always die because i destroy them
Japs are nearly always powerful.
Old February 18, 2002, 23:54   #11
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 21:45
The Frenchs seems to always be the first main power in my games.

Hmm, well, it's perhaps because it's always the civ I'm using ?
Old February 19, 2002, 00:29   #12
Bautou
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:45
In my games the French are always eventually wiped out. If the AI doesn't do it, I'll go out of my way to do it. They're the French, after all.

The Zulu are always beaten into a bloody pulp and eaten before the industrial age, almost always by the AI. The Greeks always seem to get a big empire, but never seem to get involved in any wars unless I force them into one. The Romans tend be a piddling power that I usually can count on to provide the ruins on which I build my foothold on another continent.

The Aztec are usually my biggest rival and are usually the ones who eat the Zulu early on. The Chinese are usually strong, but tend to be more annoying by blocking my expansion than competitive with me. The Americans always seem to be tretcherous bastards who would sell their mother for your world map. Honest Abe my butt. The Russians usually get a big empire and then start an ill-advised war with me.

The Babylonians seem to have terrible luck with resources in my games, usually short iron or horses, or both, but still seem to somehow scrape by to the late middle ages where they invariably get torn limb from limb by a bunch of AI jackals. The English tend to have a modest empire, with a modest army, usually only participating in wars to get a piece of an already defeated AI. They're usually my buddy that I rely on to take out the ironclad hordes of the later game when I want to fight a naval civ.

The Germans usually have an annoying patchwork quilt empire spread out all over the world...they usually wind up disembowled and left to buy my iron and horses in the late game. The Persians and the Iroquois either get wiped out fast before they can secure iron or horses respectively, or they go on to a frenzy of conquest only to get wiped out by a number of pissed-off civs when their UU's stop being so great in the middle ages. For some reason, I have never ever got the Japanese in my games (and I've played over a dozen). I guess I'll have to break down and unrandomize one the civs eventually.
Old February 19, 2002, 01:38   #13
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 12:45
Shaka Sucks
Most commonly eliminated AI Civ, from my experience & reading prior posts: Zulus

AI Romans take a close 2nd.
Old February 19, 2002, 04:25   #14
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 22:45
1. germans disappear first in a cataclysmic war
2. followed by stupid shaka

the rest are anyone's guess
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old February 19, 2002, 11:34   #15
Pius Popprasch
Warlord

Weakest: India, then Romans, Babylonians
Strong: Egypt, France, England, Aztecs
Old February 19, 2002, 12:33   #16
jfox
Settler

No one really mentioned Persia... they tend to dominate my games early (due to best UU in game, IMO.) In current game they took over one of only two continents while I was taking over only half the other.

America and India both do well while the Germans, English and Zulu tend go down early in my games.
Old February 19, 2002, 12:48   #17
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 21:45
I've seen Rome and Greece doing quite well in my games at least really early on, probably due to the great defensive units (which are a deterrant for me attacking them). Although the only civ I've seen completely taken out by another AI (without my help) was Greeks. Germans always seem to get pretty large, suprising considering the late UU (late UU are useless in my opinion). Egypians regularly do well in my games but that's because I'm controlling them