Old February 18, 2002, 17:12   #1
barefootbadass
Prince

Local Time: 20:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
post patch marketplaces
Whoa, they made some major changes to how marketplaces work, I think. Now the total happy faces is based on how many luxuries you have, and you get nothing if you don't have at least three luxuries. This was a nasty discovery in my first post-patch game where I built a bunch of marketplaces(not religious) to help with happiness and I only had 2 luxuries. I can probably trade for a third one right now, but its a bit paltry, the one extra happy face.
Old February 18, 2002, 17:17   #2
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 21:45
IIRC the first 2 luxuries only made 2 content people happy (ie one each) with or without marketplaces in all versions of the game. The point of marketplaces is that after they are built the third and fourth luxuries _each_ make 2 content people happy
Old February 18, 2002, 17:43   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 16:45
Yeah, I think that's the same as it was already. In previous versions, the first two luxuries gave 1 happy face each, the third and fourth luxuries gave 2 each, the fifth and sixth gave three each and the last two gave four each, with a marketplace. Is that what you're seeing, or did I misunderstand your post?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 19, 2002, 17:30   #4
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:45
Re: post patch marketplaces
Quote:
Originally posted by barefootbadass
Whoa, they made some major changes to how marketplaces work, I think. Now the total happy faces is based on how many luxuries you have, and you get nothing if you don't have at least three luxuries. This was a nasty discovery in my first post-patch game where I built a bunch of marketplaces(not religious) to help with happiness and I only had 2 luxuries. I can probably trade for a third one right now, but its a bit paltry, the one extra happy face.
That's precisely the way it's described in the civilpedia and how I experienced it prior to the patch. What are you saying is different; how did you think it was before? You third luxery is worth TWO new happy faces in cities with marketplaces.
Old February 20, 2002, 09:15   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
In a city with a marketplace:

1 luxury makes 1 happy person.
2 makes 2 happy people.
The 3rd makes 2 happy people by itself, for a total of 4.
The 4th makes 2 happy people by itself, for a total of 6.
The 5th makes 3 happy people by itself, for a total of 9.
The 6th makes 3 happy people by itself, for a total of 12.
The 7th makes 4 happy people by itself, for a total of 16.
The 8th makes 4 happy people by itself, for a total of 20.

Thats how it works in every version of Civ 3 to date.
Old February 20, 2002, 13:31   #6
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Barefoot,

You weren't pop rushing by any chance were you? Changes to pop rush rules have pretty profound implications on unhappiness calcs.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old February 21, 2002, 08:08   #7
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 21:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
Barefoot,

You weren't pop rushing by any chance were you? Changes to pop rush rules have pretty profound implications on unhappiness calcs.
That's a reason I try to avoid pop-rushing for: I hate Unseen Consequences. :S
Old February 21, 2002, 14:37   #8
barefootbadass
Prince

No, I was wrong, I assumed that the differences for happy faces from different luxuries was determined by the type of luxury(before patch). But I never checked because it was a logical assumption(I didn't even think of it as an assumption).