View Poll Results: In Fans are labled "Fanboys", then what should whiners be called?
Whineboys 7 36.84%
Killjoys 1 5.26%
Maladjusted Malcontents 3 15.79%
Discriminating consumers: They are the fertilizer that enriches the soil of Capitalism. 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 18, 2002, 22:30   #31
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 16:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Ah heck, I'm not a Whiner. In fact, I liken myself to Yin in a way. Well, mabye without as many posts.....or repetition of the same arguments.....Ok, nevermind about Yin.
Damn! I was hoping I could sit out this thread! I figure at this point that Firaxis is either going to go balls out and finish the beta (for which I would gladly pay my money) or just slap on a few extra civs and units and charge more money for essentially the same flop of a game. Either way, the dice have been thrown at this point.

I'm just pulling up a seat to enjoy the show. Don't blame me, though, if I shout from the peanut gallery every now and then just to keep the skills sharp. Call it Yin's Spring Training.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old February 18, 2002, 22:39   #32
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 20:46
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Damn! I was hoping I could sit out this thread! I figure at this point that Firaxis is either going to go balls out and finish the beta (for which I would gladly pay my money) or just slap on a few extra civs and units and charge more money for essentially the same flop of a game. Either way, the dice have been thrown at this point.

I'm just pulling up a seat to enjoy the show. Don't blame me, though, if I shout from the peanut gallery every now and then just to keep the skills sharp. Call it Yin's Spring Training.

And your answer to the thread is??
Old February 18, 2002, 22:45   #33
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

My answer is that everybody in this thread should show up here on Friday, March 1st. Anybody who can out-drink me can call me anything he wants. But if you *can't* outdrink me, you not only pick up the tab, but you have to post this whenever it looks like I need some backup:
Quote:
Right on! Preach it, Brother Yin!
I should warn you, I have been living in a culture the past 5 years where hard-core drinking is a way of life...

Old February 18, 2002, 22:52   #34
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 14:46
I'm there Yin! 8 years of military service has taught me a thing or two about drinking.
Old February 18, 2002, 23:02   #35
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Cool! Let's get ready to ruuuummmmble!

Old February 18, 2002, 23:06   #36
Spec
Emperor

Damn I'd beat BOTH of you anytime! No contest what so ever....

But unfortunatly, I live in Montreal....A bit far...
But if you ever come in town, YOU'RE ON MAN!!!

Spec.

Old February 18, 2002, 23:06   #37
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Rookie...The whole world knows Canadians can't drink. Curling, maybe. Christ, they even have their own national site for the thing. Look at the guy on this link and tell me his stiffest drink isn't milk with a little lemonade in it!

http://www.curling.ca/
( )

Old February 18, 2002, 23:09   #38
Minuteman
Warlord

Too bad I have the liver of an 8 year-old. Too much "clean livin'" on my part. You dudes would drink me under the table before the bartender could finish mixing Yin's first drink.

Old February 18, 2002, 23:15   #39
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Rookie...The whole world knows Canadians can't drink. Curling, maybe. Christ, they even have their own national site for the thing. Look at the guy on this link and tell me his stiffest drink isn't milk with a little lemonade in it!

( )
WHAT?!?!?! We have 9% Beer here unlike your lausy .05% sh*t you call beer!!! We CAN'T drink??? You have absolutly no Idea what your talking about!! I'm from Quebec and here the bars close at 3:00 am! Ppl are there drinking from 8 to 3 none stop! So dont you go dissing us about being "non-able" to drink!! WE ARE DRUNK AND PROUD!!! VIVE LE QUEBEC!!

And yin, is 26beers your limit? That's far from me and you know what? it wasn't .05% piss

Where real beer is made

"A bit too proud" Spec.

Last edited by Spec; February 18, 2002 at 23:21.
Old February 18, 2002, 23:32   #40
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 21:46
Beer, pah! I've been trained by the best. Between my uncle Reggie in Arkansas and my cousin Sergei in Siberia, I have a battle-hardened liver war-scarred by homemade spirits.
Old February 18, 2002, 23:55   #41
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 21:46
Ahah !
Beer is for wussy !
I take you ALL !
With Coca-Cola.
I'm extremely resistant to it, I NEVER went drunk whatever the quantity I took.
Old February 19, 2002, 00:04   #42
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:

( )
You obviously know very little about curling culture. Hint, one of the sponsors is a very large brewer.

While we're on the topic of Canadians, Yin you should ignore Spec.

Those guys in Quebec can drink till 3 because they have to be allowed that much time to down their 2 pints. Kinda like the people of many US jurisdictions need all night.

Now, come out to the prairies, we'll show you what for. From October till March there is very little to do but drink beer. Other than play Civ3 and kibitz on boards like these. I prefer to try to do all 3 at the same time.

Cheers
Old February 19, 2002, 00:09   #43
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

[Puts fingers in ears and ducks under desk]
Old February 19, 2002, 00:14   #44
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Those guys in Quebec can drink till 3 because they have to be allowed that much time to down their 2 pints. Kinda like the people of many US jurisdictions need all night.
Cheers
Now dont go there! I lived 5 years in the prairies, very good ppl but damn, you ain't nowhere close to here! Montreal is partycity, there's a bar on every corner! Come see for yourself and trust me, you'll want to move here...... And if you're ever close, BRING IT OOOOONNN!!!!

Spec.
Old February 19, 2002, 00:22   #45
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Listen, guys: Don't talk to me about drinking 'til you've been to 'sam-cha' or 'sa-cha' with the Korean heavy-hitters. Straight shots of hard liquor from start to finish, usually mixed. Beer? Hell, that's just to clean the palate between bottles of so-ju and whiskey!

Beer...

NOTE: This is not to say I didn't spend my first two years here puking until 4 a.m., but that's Boot Camp for ya!

Old February 19, 2002, 00:32   #46
Spec
Emperor

Hard liquor?! That ain't no challenge!? I just made calculations! (I'm a bit to much serious about this I know ) If you take your 40oz bottle of hard liquor at 40% then that means 300ml of pure alcohol. In on of OUR beer there is 25mml. So that's only 12 beers!!! My record (university iniciation) is 32 beers in 5 hours!! Beat that!! And if you do well, I'll do better!! It's my duty to keep and not tarnish our REAL reputation!!

Spec.
Old February 19, 2002, 00:40   #47
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

6 beers an hour? Child's play. Kid's stuff. Little leagues. Batting practice. We drink 6 beers an hour just to keep our tongues from puffing up too much from the 'fire bombs' (light the hard liquor shot glass on fire and gulp).

I pray to myself here: "Dear Lord, let them only force 6 beers on me an hour!"

{EDITED} By the way, I should note that I absolutely CAN'T STAND this kind of drinking. The way it works is somebody hands you an empty shot glass, pours you a drink ... and you down it in a sign of accepting his (or her) friendship. Now, of course you should return the favor, right? In turn, THAT favor might be returned. In groups of 5 or 6 or more, you do the math.

On top of that, the group leader will usually start some kind of round-robin drinking. The guy on the left pours to the guy on the right, pass the bottle, make some speeches all around. Change venues. Start again.

These days when I'm not in the mood, I do the first few rounds as normal when everybody is sober. Then as they get drunk, I find creative ways to throw out or dilute my drinks. Once in a great while I get caught and have to drink twice the amount as 'punishment.'

Yes, these are grown men doing these things. Not college students. It's like a never-ending after-work frat party when these guys get together, and it ain't always fun. In fact, we had a new hire (a woman) go back to her place, fall down the stairs and break her nose / twist her ankle.

She quit the next morning (via phone call).

Forced drinking sucks!

Last edited by yin26; February 19, 2002 at 01:09.
Old February 19, 2002, 01:09   #48
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
6 beers an hour? Child's play. Kid's stuff. Little leagues. Batting practice. We drink 6 beers an hour just to keep our tongues from puffing up too much from the 'fire bombs' (light the hard liquor shot glass on fire and gulp).

Like I said, beer here ain't .05% juice...9% BEER! And the 32 I drank were 7%! We here dont piss while sitting on the bowl, we piss standing up!! And much farther than anyone of you wusses!! (...I got to get some sleep...)

Good night all!

Spec.
Old February 19, 2002, 01:13   #49
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Korean beer, Spec. KOREAN BEER! (4-9%)

I ain't talking American piss water...

Sleep well.

Old February 19, 2002, 01:25   #50
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Here's some nice 35% stuff Koreans use to make their own 'fruit wine.' The ad says: "If you like it strong, you can just have Bobae 35% PET straight from the bottle!" Mmmm, yeah!

Mix that with the 40% hard liquor shots, the 25% so-ju shots AND the ~6% beers in between....I'm telling you, man, it gets ugly here. I can drink my old college buddies under the table now.

Of course, when they see me, they say: "Jesus! What happened to you out there!" Not a good tradeoff all things considered.

Sorry: Here's one more. These Koreans are CRAZY, dammit!

Quote:
YetHyang 41% (Ceramics) has already been recognized for its excellent flavor at important gatherings such as high-ranking-official meetings between South and North Korea. To make it available to more people, we also developed YetHyang 35% (Glass), and YetHyang 41% (Rice). Catching drops directly from distillation tower as if to collect dews is how YetHyang is made. It is a super premium liquor that is soft and pleasant to mouth, and promises hangover-less morning the next day.

Last edited by yin26; February 19, 2002 at 01:32.
Old February 19, 2002, 01:48   #51
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Forced drinking sucks!
Cant you just say 'no'
Old February 19, 2002, 01:58   #52
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 15:46
And this thread is about what