Old December 13, 2000, 18:01   #1
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:36
Local Date: October 30, 2010
How many units can stay on one tile?
I want to know: will Firaxis put a limit on the number of units which can be hosted by one tile, as in Civ CTP
I remember in Civ II I would mob together a bunch of about 400 tanks, which could move with my railways to defend a city. I think this is probably a little unrealistic, being able to place 400 tanks in one city but don't think CTPs limit of nine is high enough. I think the number should be about 50.
Old December 13, 2000, 18:33   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 01:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Grrr on 12-13-2000 05:01 PM
I remember in Civ II I would mob together a bunch of about 400 tanks, which could move with my railways to defend a city.

400 tanks!!! Did you ever had any time left to build late-game city-improvements and wonders? Did you ever build the Alpha Centauri spaceship?

Anyway: too many soldiers in one mega-army, cannot "live of the land", as easily as a couple of smaller armys that is more widely spread. Thats pretty elemantary.

Why then shoudnt it be army size-restrictions in Civ-3? After all, there have always been such practical restrictions to consider, in all armies, in all times - all over the world, throughout our history.

Isnt a little realism important in this respect?
Old December 13, 2000, 23:31   #3
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Local Time: 00:36
Ralf is right, 400 tanks is a little unrealistic. And also, if you are building 400 tanks, you obveiously are a war-freek (no offence, I like to blast my enemies to pieces too). And about stacking units, there will probably be a cap on it, since there WILL be armies in civ3, and not just a group of tanks. I imagine it wont be less then 20 though.
Old December 14, 2000, 23:00   #4
Grrr
King

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 12-13-2000 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr on 12-13-2000 05:01 PM
I remember in Civ II I would mob together a bunch of about 400 tanks, which could move with my railways to defend a city.

400 tanks!!! Did you ever had any time left to build late-game city-improvements and wonders? Did you ever build the Alpha Centauri spaceship?

Anyway: too many soldiers in one mega-army, cannot "live of the land", as easily as a couple of smaller armys that is more widely spread. Thats pretty elemantary.

Why then shoudnt it be army size-restrictions in Civ-3? After all, there have always been such practical restrictions to consider, in all armies, in all times - all over the world, throughout our history.

Isnt a little realism important in this respect?

400 tanks is what I use to take control of the whole world in one turn, once my engineers have built a multi national rail system
Old December 15, 2000, 07:10   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:36
It seems sensible to limit the effective military stack to a fixed amount but I do not think that this should be affected by the number of your or any opponents special units. Neither should it prevent other units moving through the tile provided they are not ending their movement on it.
Old December 15, 2000, 07:33   #6
Deathwalker
Prince

I think that 400 units was bit extream, so I think a limit might be a good idea, like 50 max.

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old December 15, 2000, 15:20   #7
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Im glad you think you were wrong with saying, "400 tanks."

It takes me about 3 nukes, and 50 tanks, AT MOST.

p.s. how many tanks do you defend in each city???? I only need 2 per city, the rest I waste in attacking my worst enemy.

Also, sorry about jumpin on you just cause you said you "lob together about 400 tanks."
[This message has been edited by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto (edited December 15, 2000).]
Old December 15, 2000, 16:37   #8
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:36
I don't use tanks, I use howitzers. A lot more effective (ignore city walls makes them 'immune' to city defences) and I don't need nearly as many.

Anyway, I don't see why the limit for units on one tile should be more than 10-15. When I bring out my howitzers for the final blow, I only have about 20-25 MAX, plus one mobile infantry per enemy city, and they are generally spread out throughout enemy territory, not sitting in one place.
Old December 15, 2000, 23:08   #9
Grrr
King

I prefer to remain 'best buddies' with all of my opponents until about 2015 AD, by which time I have used engineers to build a railway to every city in the world, and an army (400 or so tanks). I then start attacking city by city, until the whole world has fallen (in one turn). This reduces the need for micromanagement of the taken cities and if I take the whole world in one turn, they are usually imprepared for battle. As I usually remain friends with my opponents, don't expect much of a defence force around this time. Usually the only defence I ever build is 3 warriors per city, which Leonardo's Workshop upgrades to Riflemen.
Note: I don't use this strategy against humans.

quote:

Originally posted by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto on 12-15-2000 02:20 PM
Im glad you think you were wrong with saying, "400 tanks."

It takes me about 3 nukes, and 50 tanks, AT MOST.

p.s. how many tanks do you defend in each city???? I only need 2 per city, the rest I waste in attacking my worst enemy.

Also, sorry about jumpin on you just cause you said you "lob together about 400 tanks."
[This message has been edited by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto (edited December 15, 2000).]

Old December 18, 2000, 01:46   #10
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:36
You still don't need to stick all your tanks in one square, you can spread them out throughout your civ.