Old February 19, 2002, 04:08   #1
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 15:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Did Firaxis change the length of Anarchy in 1.17f?
I am playing as greece, but i am only going through one full turn of Anarchy after a revolution, so is this a bug or did firaxis change the anarchy time?

has anyone else noticed this? if so could you please confirm it for me

firaxis if you did change the anarchy time could you please state why?

if they did change anarchy times what did they change it to? one turn for normal civs and instant change for religious civs or is it something else?

which way do you like better?
Old February 19, 2002, 04:17   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:47
Roman

First anarchy > Republic, only lasted 2 or 3 turns.

Current anarchy > Democracy... lasted 5 turns.

I too would like to know if this has been adjusted.

Salve
Old February 19, 2002, 04:39   #3
Windwalker
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:47
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Roman

First anarchy > Republic, only lasted 2 or 3 turns.

Current anarchy > Democracy... lasted 5 turns.

I too would like to know if this has been adjusted.

Salve
Maybe the more cities you have (or population or whatever), the longer it takes for a revolution to be achieved?

Best solution: be a religious civ

- Windwalker
Old February 19, 2002, 07:46   #4
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Playing as American, the period of anarchy changing from despot to monarch was 7 turns under the new patch.

Seven turns is a long time. Given the fact that I fought almost constantly against Bab bowman, hoplites, jaguar warriors and the Mounted Warriors to 500 AD and still never got a leader has convinced me to play as Japanese next time.

Heck, I bet I didn't get my veteran troops promoted more than 2% of their battles. Never had more than 10 elite units.

Veeeerrrryyy frustrating. Can't get leader, corruption awful, 7 turn switch. Argh. I understand now why it is caused the Forbidden Palace. And relocating my regular palace

jt
Old February 19, 2002, 10:02   #5
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

jimmytrick, didn't know you really play civ3

Could you please post your civ poem once again, I can't find the thread and fell off my chair laughing when first reading it.
Old February 19, 2002, 13:08   #6
Thrawn05
King

I think they shorten it. I was playing rome and I switched from Despot to republic in two turns after the patch. It used to take me up to five turns.

I usually wait untill I have about 5 to 8 cities before I switch (or I run out of room and switch).
Old February 19, 2002, 17:25   #7
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:47
There is a possibility that there is a pattern here. This was found in Civ II after years of trying. There the turns of anarchy were directly related to when the revolution began as related to the next "Oedo year." (Oedo figured this out.) These years in that game were every four turns, different actual year numbers depending on the difficulty level. Perhaps we have something similar. Thus one time it's seven turns and another it is one depending on a formula unknown at this time. Religious societies always experience only one turn, a very powerful inducement to play one of these. n
Old February 21, 2002, 05:01   #8
Pius Popprasch
Warlord

First Anarchy in my first post-patch game lasted only 2 turns. I tried a little bit with it and it was always 2-3 turns. Level is Emperor.
Old February 21, 2002, 10:21   #9
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pius Popprasch
First Anarchy in my first post-patch game lasted only 2 turns. I tried a little bit with it and it was always 2-3 turns. Level is Emperor.
Shouldn't emperor be about 10 turn? After all, you want a challenge right? If I was playing that level I would want it that long, gives the AI a chance to crush you when you're weak.
Old February 21, 2002, 12:36   #10
uh Clem
King

Post-patch I've had as low as 3 and as high as 7. Same as it ever was.
Old February 21, 2002, 16:32   #11
Moonsinger
Warlord

From what you are all saying, I think it's a random number between 1 and 7 now.
Old February 21, 2002, 16:50   #12
korn469
Emperor

Quote:
I think it's a random number between 1 and 7 now
it's not a random number because i have changed governments three times all and each time i had one full turn of anarchy, and nothing more

the important thing is i maintained the same number of cities so i think the number of cities has something to do with it, and if you have the religious special ability or not
Old February 21, 2002, 18:43   #13
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 07:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by korn469
it's not a random number because i have changed governments three times all and each time i had one full turn of anarchy, and nothing more
What civilization? And are you playing a mod?

Check the attributes for your chosen civilization. If it's religious and it's not meant to be, that's the problem.
Old February 21, 2002, 19:43   #14
korn469
Emperor

Quote:
What civilization? And are you playing a mod
sorry i was still playing the same game

i'm greeks on a small map and i have 6 cities, on monarch
yes it's a mod but i didn't change any setting that refer to anarchy
Old February 21, 2002, 20:12   #15
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Quote:

the important thing is i maintained the same number of cities so i think the number of cities has something to do with it, and if you have the religious special ability or not
If you play a religious civ, anarchy always takes 1 turn.
Old February 21, 2002, 20:30   #16
korn469
Emperor

Soren

i left the Greeks as Scientific and Commercial

if you are not a religious civ i thought it then took four full turns of anarchy to switch governments, am i wrong about this?

because i can provide a save game that shows one full turn of anarchy and nothing more for a non religious civ

or is anarchy length dependent on number of cities, with a max of 7 or 8?
Old February 22, 2002, 02:20   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
And while you are answering, are there any other factors that affect how long anarchy lasts??
I remember going into anarchy being told it would take 7 turns.
I then loaded the game from the turn before, traded with someone for an extra luxury source, and then had the anarchy lasing 8 turns instead.

Thanks if you could help us out with this Soren
Old February 22, 2002, 02:20   #18
Ironikinit
Prince

Does it make a difference if you revolt the same turn that you get the required tech?
Old February 22, 2002, 13:01   #19
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond

Quote:
Soren

i left the Greeks as Scientific and Commercial

if you are not a religious civ i thought it then took four full turns of anarchy to switch governments, am i wrong about this?

because i can provide a save game that shows one full turn of anarchy and nothing more for a non religious civ

or is anarchy length dependent on number of cities, with a max of 7 or 8?
i would definitely look at a save game example...

and yes, anarchy length is increased by number of cities...
Old February 22, 2002, 18:42   #20
korn469
Emperor

soren

ok i provided five saves

this time the game is unmodded, but the conditions are the
i'm greeks, on a small map on monarchy, and i stopped at six cities like last game

playing against
rome
egypt
france
england
aztecs

the earliest one is from 750 bc, and i just switched to anarchy, and it says it'll take 3 turns of anarchy to switch

the next save is still from 750 bc, it's called alt 750, and i gifted a city to the egyptians and it says it'll take 4 turns to switch

the next save is from 730 bc, i switched to anarchy and it says it'll take 2 turns of anarchy to switch
the following two turns demonstate this

this is exactly how i explained it though my way of counting is slightly different from the advisors, when you switch even if it is at then end of your turn, the advisor counts you as in anarchy

so i switched, waited a turn, then picked my new government, the advisor counts this as two turns of anarchy, so if i wasn't explaining it clearly i appologize

so this means with a religious civ, you switch governments, then as soon as you start your next turn you select your new government

but does this prove that anarchy length is random for non religious civs?

could you give us the anarchy length formula?

EDIT: Back to my original question. In Civ3 1.07f was it true that each time a religious government switched it took one turn of anarchy and all others took four? If that is true, then when did you change that, and now what exactly determines the length of anarchy for non-religious civs?
Attached Files:

Last edited by korn469; February 22, 2002 at 18:51.
Old February 22, 2002, 21:41   #21
Soren Johnson

Quote:
soren

ok i provided five saves

this time the game is unmodded, but the conditions are the
i'm greeks, on a small map on monarchy, and i stopped at six cities like last game

playing against
rome
egypt
france
england
aztecs

the earliest one is from 750 bc, and i just switched to anarchy, and it says it'll take 3 turns of anarchy to switch

the next save is still from 750 bc, it's called alt 750, and i gifted a city to the egyptians and it says it'll take 4 turns to switch

the next save is from 730 bc, i switched to anarchy and it says it'll take 2 turns of anarchy to switch
the following two turns demonstate this

this is exactly how i explained it though my way of counting is slightly different from the advisors, when you switch even if it is at then end of your turn, the advisor counts you as in anarchy

so i switched, waited a turn, then picked my new government, the advisor counts this as two turns of anarchy, so if i wasn't explaining it clearly i appologize

so this means with a religious civ, you switch governments, then as soon as you start your next turn you select your new government

but does this prove that anarchy length is random for non religious civs?

could you give us the anarchy length formula?

EDIT: Back to my original question. In Civ3 1.07f was it true that each time a religious government switched it took one turn of anarchy and all others took four? If that is true, then when did you change that, and now what exactly determines the length of anarchy for non-religious civs?
oh, you wanted to know if there is a random factor. well, there is. it's between 1 and 5 turns. plus 0 - 3 extra turns depending on number of cities
Old February 22, 2002, 21:54   #22
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Soren: Thank you very much for the info.

BTW, could you tell us where the breaks are? Or are you going to force some poor slob to spend the hours to figure them out? Oh, Xin...

Salve
Old February 22, 2002, 21:57   #23
korn469
Emperor

hey thanks for responding!
soren,

if you wouldn't mind answering a few more questions

do religious civs always experience a single turn of anarchy despite the number of cities they have? or do religious civs always get a one on the random part and then get additional turns of anarchy for the number of cities they have?

is the number of turns of anarchy for cities random with bigger civs being more likely to get a high number or is it completely nonrandom? does map size have anything to do with this?

thanks in advance!
Old February 24, 2002, 12:44   #24
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 23:47
I can assure you that Religious civs always have one turn. For the rest, I can't be 100% sure.